Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 6th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Admiral

Default Millenium March 15 cruise cancelled

The Millenium March 15 cruise has been cancelled, the ship will be going into drydock. More info as it comes in..

Don
Sponsored Links
Old March 7th, 2009, 06:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

Don,
Thanks for the info. Glad your back.
Bob
Old March 7th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburke
Don,
Thanks for the info. Glad your back.
Bob
Thanks Bob:

I have a little further info, it is unclear at this point the reason for the cancellation, either pods or an electrical problem is suspected.

Compensation package is as follows: Full refund of monies for this cruise, free cruise in same category with some limited blackout dates and $250.00 towards airfare compensation...
Old March 7th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

A little more info from another board, including what has already been stated above...

Here are some bullet points on the compensation. Please be aware this information may not be 100% accurate. I urge those booked, to call Celebrity's Special Help Desk at 1-888-281-9343, for details, and assistance.

- A Full Refund of all monies paid to Celebrity for the 3/15/09 sailing.

- A Future Cruise credit in the amount of the Cruise fare paid, which may be used for sailings that depart on or before 3/30/10. The Future Cruise Credit cannot be used on Holiday or Celebrity Xpedition sailings.

- Up to $250.00 per person for Airline change fees - For those who did not purchase air through Celebrity.

- Refunds and Future Cruise Credits will be processed/sent automatically. It should take about 2 weeks.
Old March 7th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Captain

Hello all,

I know I have been pooh-poohed, on this board, for daring to suggest that the POD problems on Celebrity m-class ships have not gone away, but the sudden emergency dry dock for first the Summit a few weeks ago and now the emergency dry dock for the Millennium it would appear that these mechanical problems are still haunting Celebrity m-class ships.

I have been hearing reports of severe vibrations coming from the PODS
on the Millennium since, January of this year. Having been on a POD cruise and experienced the same as what was described, the outcome comes as no surprise to me. This one indeed, has all the earmarks of yet another POD problem for a Celebrity m-class ship.

The passengers should also be aware of the fact that on our cruise and I still have a letter from Celebrity and the Captain of our ship, stating there would be no restrictions on our future cruise credit certificate. When I finally got the certificate from Celebrity some eight weeks later it was loaded with restrictions. For me that was the last straw in dealing with Celebrity and in in light of the treatment that we had received, most of the passengers on our cruise decided not to take any more chances with Celebrity and chose not to use the future cruise credit.

The main issue here is the fact that the Celebrity m-class ships are still unreliable, compared to the record of all other Celebrity ships and that of all other cruise line's ships.

I feel so sorry for those who were booked on that cruise and feel that most had no idea of the additional risk that they were taking. These poor people did not book the cruise of a lifetime hoping to get a future cruise credit from Celebrity.

Before I get flamed, I know that things happen on all cruise lines ships, but none have the same repeated problem that is now somewhere over twenty separate instances of the same or nearly the same exact thing.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old March 8th, 2009, 01:54 AM
Admiral

Thank you Debra for keeping us informed about the pod problems.

I am surprized it took you this long to respond.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old March 8th, 2009, 11:15 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to richsea

As always Debra, thank you for your insights. Where would we be without your constant flow of new information?

By the way, where did you see that the reason for the cancellation was the pods? I haven't seem that fact anywhere else.
Old March 9th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsea
As always Debra, thank you for your insights. Where would we be without your constant flow of new information?

By the way, where did you see that the reason for the cancellation was the pods? I haven't seem that fact anywhere else.
I read the following today on Cruise News Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise News Daily
Bearing Problem Cancels Celebrity Millennium Sailing
* Deja Vu All Over Again
Mar 9 - Celebrity Cruises has canceled the March 15 sailing of Celebrity Millennium - and you've probably heard this before - due to problems with a thrust bearing in the starboard Mermaid propulsion pod.
This makes it sound like a pod issue to me. :o
Old March 10th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsea

I read the following today on Cruise News Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise News Daily
Bearing Problem Cancels Celebrity Millennium Sailing
* Deja Vu All Over Again
Mar 9 - Celebrity Cruises has canceled the March 15 sailing of Celebrity Millennium - and you've probably heard this before - due to problems with a thrust bearing in the starboard Mermaid propulsion pod.
This makes it sound like a pod issue to me. :o
Thanks Pittsburgh Cruiser for the article and welcome to cruisemates. This is a great place to get information and you will find no shortage of opinions here. Sometimes you just have to read all opinions and get the true facts and then make your own decisions when there are differing opinions.

Maybe my "insight" was not as irreverent as some would like others to believe.

Since many of my posts seem to be greeted with the same condescending comments by a few, I thought maybe we should review the posts of the "insights" from some who are so quick to dismiss anything that I say. Here are just a couple of their "insights" and I do quote:

"PODS were a source of problems for Celebrity in the first few years, but all of these ships have been overhauled and the problems fixed".

"But to set the record straight, Celebrity Cruises did prevail in the lawsuit against the manufacturer of the pods and the manufacturer supplied redesigned pods for these ships that seem to have solved the problem".

Just to set the record straight with the truth, Celebrity's lawsuit against the prime manufacturer, Rolls Royce, for about 300 million dollars has not been settled. A suit against another company, Alstom, who was also involved in the design and manufacturing of the PODS in question that are used by Celebrity on their m-class ships, was settled for something like 6 or 7 million dollars. The facts would indicate that the problem was not solved by the "redesigned" PODS. I don't think anyone really needs my "insight" to understand that one!

Happy and trouble free sailing to all,

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com