Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 15th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default What's happening to cruise prices ?

Does anyone have a fix or opinion on what's happening with cruise prices.
Given the economic gloom I'm not sure whether to book my trans-Panama cruise for next January now, or hold off in the hope that a better deal might be on the horizon. Would appreciate opinions and comments.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hold off.. OM
Old March 15th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Admiral

Default Re: What's happening to cruise prices ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by permcruiser
Does anyone have a fix or opinion on what's happening with cruise prices.
Given the economic gloom I'm not sure whether to book my trans-Panama cruise for next January now, or hold off in the hope that a better deal might be on the horizon. Would appreciate opinions and comments.
Thanks
It depends on who you are wanting to book with. Right now prices are diwn - except for one or two companies. Also, it matters if the company you want to book with will reduce their price for booked cruises if and when they lower them.

If you are looking at a company who will recognize reductions then I would say book now at the price you are comfortable with. You can always cancel later. (I'm assuming you are in the US or Canada)
Old March 16th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thanks Felix. I'm actually in your area. Im', not sure if a future reduction can be had as the cruise lines state that a promotion price is foble to give the reduction. Do you have any experience with this issue?
Thanks again
Old March 16th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Thanks Felix. I'm actually in your area. Im', not sure if a future reduction can be had as the cruise lines state that a promotion price is foble to give the reduction. Do you have any experience with this issue?
Thanks again
What cruise line are you dealing with? I'm not sure what you mean when you say the promotion price is foble?

Not all cruise lines will give price reductions later. At the moment Carnival is running a special where even your deposit is non-refundable. RCL, Celebrity and Azamara will give you price reductions later as long as it is not their weekly special.
Old March 18th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Thanks Felix- I meant that I have noted that some reduced prices say "for new bookings only" and I'm not sure what that would mean. I am dealing with Celebrity and note your info re reductions if not weekly special.
I have a very good price for the Miami-s.Diego cruise next Jan
from an agent in the UK and will probably book with them in the next few weeks. $200 less than the best I found on this side of the pond.
Old March 18th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Thanks Felix- I meant that I have noted that some reduced prices say "for new bookings only" and I'm not sure what that would mean. I am dealing with Celebrity and note your info re reductions if not weekly special.
I have a very good price for the Miami-s.Diego cruise next Jan
from an agent in the UK and will probably book with them in the next few weeks. $200 less than the best I found on this side of the pond.
That is unusal to deal from our side to the UK. I have clients from th UK.

Celebrity will definitely give you refunds of price reductions right up until sail date. The RCL group of companies is very good at that. (So far.)

As for the "new bookings only" almost all of their adverts say that but they only usually mean it for the Tuesday specials.

Be careful dealing with a TA from the UK. The rules are different there. Once your booked there are no cancellations without losing your deposit. Also, be sure they are willing to give/get you any and all price reductions that you are entitled to.

Some TA's both over there and over here charge a fee for that or won't do it all.

One more thing, when you say you are in my area do you mean Canada or Ontario? That also makes a big diffence on your coverage. If you are here in Ontario and something happens with the cruiseline (they should go out of business - heaven forbid) you are only covered by TICO if you purchased in Ontario. Just another thing to consider.
Old March 29th, 2009, 07:37 AM
First Mate

For our last three cruises on Princess there has been a price reduction after final payment......So unless you have a specific ship in mind & have to have your vacation locked in to certain dates why not wait for a last minute deal. These reductions were only in the last 6 months and those cruises had been planned way before that. Given the current situation, there will be more specials coming along if you'll just be patient.
Old March 29th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default cruise prices

I'd be willing to bet that the price will come down.....but will you get the cabin grade and location if you wait?

My wife and I have our Sept 2010 already booked on the Mercury as we have favorite catagories and cabins.
Old March 29th, 2009, 10:56 AM
First Mate

Default Re: cruise prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie1207
I'd be willing to bet that the price will come down.....but will you get the cabin grade and location if you wait?

My wife and I have our Sept 2010 already booked on the Mercury as we have favorite catagories and cabins.
Maybe, maybe not but on one of our recent cruises on Princess they had an offer that gave a balcony for the same price we pair for an obstructed view cabin. We went back to them & asked for a similar upgrade & got nowhere.
In the past going 10 years back when the economy was stable I'd have to agree that getting a deal was better up front but not lately & I'll be willing to take my chances.
I would never book a cabin 1 1/2 years out with any economic conditions. It's much to far out for my liking & to many things could change.
Old May 8th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to mtnevis
Default Cruise Fares have decreased

We are booked on the Equinox out of Rome August 18. We have received 2 fare decreases since booking, totaling over $1800 for 2 persons in a C1 category. You have to call the cruise line, they will not automatically give you a credit.
Old May 8th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Some cruise prices are going up. Our November cruise's price has gone up over $1,200 per person since we booked.
Galaxy-11/99
Horizon-Adults only-11/02
Century-1/04
Millennium-12/05
Century-1/09

Mercury-Alaska-6/00
Millennium-Transatlantic-9/01, 10/03, 11/05
Zenith-Special Caribbean 11/06
Back to back Millennium 28 days - Mediterranean 11/18/07, Transatlantic - 12/2/07
Old July 8th, 2009, 06:13 PM
First Mate

Default Cruise Prices

In the copy of Cruise Magazine which arrived today there is an article that some of the cruise lines have sold more cruises in the first quarter of this year than in years past. I thought everyone was hit by the economic downturn however that article says otherwise. Having read that article I have to assume some cruise lines will not be reducing prices as long as sales hold up.
Old July 8th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Bookings are quite good for most cruise lines, problem is the pricing is very week. (in order to fill the ships). My concern is that budget cuts have really hurt the food allowance and staffing levels have been reduced in order to cut the bottom line.
I would rather pay $200.00 more per person per cruise and keep the quality better.