Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 8th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Beginner

Default Celebrity Infinity or Mercury

I have booked Mercury Aug 16 trip to Alaska but yesterday I found its itinerary is different from other dates of its sailing to Alaska. That is on this date, Mercury does not go through inside passage but outside of Vancouver in both directions. I am thinking of changing to Infinity. Not only Infinity goes through inside passage on its way up, I also do not need to take a transfer from Seattle to Vancouver. However, the problem is Infinity only makes two stops, no Sitka as Mercury does. Can anyone help me decide whether I should switch to Infinity or stick to Mercury?

In addition, does anyone know why Mercury makes this itinerary? What is the purpose?

Thank you for your help.
Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2009, 12:41 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Keep in mind Infinity is much newer and nicer ship. It has far more balcony cabins and more impressive interior. I believe you will enjoy the ship more. If you can get a verandah on Infinity for about the same price I would do it.

Mercury goes to Victoria - so you will see beautiful British Columbia. However, given a chouice I would see Sitka instead.

Sitka is a very nice little town, and when cruising Alaska the port stops are your best chance to see wildlife on tours. Don't count on the ship passing whales or bears - it could happen but the chances are better on tour.

Most ships between Vancouver and Ketchikan do sail out at sea, the inside passage doesn't start until you reach Alaskan waters. So sailing close to shore near Vancouver is not a big deal except the first day. The views sailing out of Vancouver are spectacular, but it doesn't affect your Alaska adventure so much.

You will enjoy Vancouver and Infinity is a nicer ship and IMHO a better itinerary. I would switch if possible, or take another cruise next year.
Old April 21st, 2009, 12:43 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

FYI......

7 Night Alaska Hubbard Glacier Cruise on board Celebrity Infinity

Destination: Alaska. Prices starting from 729.00 USD on 28-Aug-2009
Cruise Ports: Seattle, Washington, Inside Passage (Cruising), Ketchikan, Alaska, Hubbard Glacier (Cruising), Juneau, Alaska, Victoria, British Columbia, Seattle, Washington

Staterooms: Inside Ocean View Veranda Suite
729.00 USD
per person
798.00 USD
per person
1,169.00 USD
per person
2,049.00 USD
per person

7 Night Alaska Hubbard Glacier Cruise on board Celebrity Mercury

Destination: Alaska. Prices starting from 669.00 USD on 16-Aug-2009
Cruise Ports: Vancouver, British Columbia, Sitka, Alaska, Hubbard Glacier (Cruising), Juneau, Alaska, Ketchikan, Alaska, Vancouver, British Columbia

Staterooms: Inside Ocean View Veranda Suite
669.00 USD
per person
748.00 USD
per person
1,349.00 USD
per person
1,799.00 USD
per person
Old April 21st, 2009, 06:49 PM
Captain

In my experience you'll see more of the inside passage sailing from Vancouver. What was your source that there wouldn't be inside sailing that week. Did you get official word from Celebrity on this or just from reading the itinerary on the website? That could possibly be a misprint/error. It seems to be an odd difference.
Old April 21st, 2009, 07:55 PM
Admiral

I have a group of us (18) going on the Infinity May 22 out of Seattle. I've been on the Inifinity before and was on her sister ship Millenium in January. Really nice ships - but I haven't been on the Mercury so can't compare.

We are doing 3 stops - Ketchican, Juneau and Victoria (late in the afternoon though - not til 3PM). I wouldn't mind going farther north but what the heck - we'll take what we can and look forward to going again.

Just completed - Celebrity Reflection, Nov. 22 (learning to sail solo) followed by Independence of the Seas Nov. 30.

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old April 21st, 2009, 08:12 PM
Captain

That's another surprise to me....that the Infinity doesn't stop in Sitka or Skagway.
Old April 21st, 2009, 08:29 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_the_cat
I have a group of us (18) going on the Infinity May 22 out of Seattle. I've been on the Inifinity before and was on her sister ship Millenium in January. Really nice ships - but I haven't been on the Mercury so can't compare.

We are doing 3 stops - Ketchican, Juneau and Victoria (late in the afternoon though - not til 3PM). I wouldn't mind going farther north but what the heck - we'll take what we can and look forward to going again.
Now this is wierd - when I looked at my posting there is a smiley face on the first line but what is really there - what I typed and what I meant - is bracket 18 bracket. That makes a smiley face????

Just completed - Celebrity Reflection, Nov. 22 (learning to sail solo) followed by Independence of the Seas Nov. 30.

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old April 21st, 2009, 10:51 PM
Beginner

Default Mercury - AKA SS RUST BUCKET

We just sailed on Mercury March 2009 - the ship is in terrible condition. Rust all over the hull. The public decks are in terrible condition. The amenities are vastly outdated. The entire inventory of deck chairs need to be trashed - they are in terrible condition. We were in a Royal Suite onboard and it was just not worth the money we paid. Burned out lights everywhere on the ship - there were 5 in our suite alone.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 12:17 PM
Familiar Face

As far as ships go Infinity beats Mercury hands down. We were on Infinity in 2004 and Mercury in 2005 and there's no comparison. Mercury is coming to Baltimore which is close to where we live, and my husband was thinking of booking it but we really did not like the ship that much.

We did Alaska southbound on Summit which is exactly the same as Infinity and it was great. Hubbard Glacier and the Inside Passage were wonderful.

I wish I could go back.

Anne Maria
Old May 16th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Infinity is newer but the crew or staff on Mercury has always been better than Infinity crew.
Old May 18th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Captain

The Infinity is the only Millennium class ship I haven't been on, but loved the others.

I sailed on the Mercury two years ago and enjoyed it very much. The ship is smaller, and a little more intimate. Really enjoyed the aft pool area (indoor) as well as the intimate Thallossotherapy area. If you enjoy the Aqua Spa and Thallossotherapy, unless you're in a Sky Suite, or an Elite CC member, it will cost you to use this on the Mercury.

We enjoyed the Mercury very much.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 02:36 AM
Beginner

We were on the Mercury 9 months ago and enjoyed our cruise. having been on all but the Infinity, of the m class, there is no comparison. The staff, the food and the amenities ire just better on the M class. Do yourself a favor...take the Infinity.

Charles
Old May 23rd, 2009, 11:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

The original question is Infinity vs Mercury, not M class vs Century class vessels.
Still, after 6 Mercury cruises and 3 Infinity sailings we would book Mercury.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 02:22 PM
Captain

Agree with Charles about the M class ships, it is really a unique experience. Although I haven't been on the Infinity (yet) the service on all the ships has been excellent.
Old June 1st, 2009, 07:20 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Celebrity Infinity or Mercury

clm4700,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I have booked Mercury Aug 16 trip to Alaska but yesterday I found its itinerary is different from other dates of its sailing to Alaska. That is on this date, Mercury does not go through inside passage but outside of Vancouver in both directions. I am thinking of changing to Infinity. Not only Infinity goes through inside passage on its way up, I also do not need to take a transfer from Seattle to Vancouver. However, the problem is Infinity only makes two stops, no Sitka as Mercury does. Can anyone help me decide whether I should switch to Infinity or stick to Mercury?

In addition, does anyone know why Mercury makes this itinerary? What is the purpose?

Thank you for your help.
First, there's no guarantee that GTS Celebrity Infinity will go through the straits between Vancouver Island and the mainland or that MV Celebrity Mercury will not. The choice of route rests solely with the master of the vessel, and he'll make the decision based upon conditions such as weather, tides and tidal currents, expected traffic, availability of qualified pilots, and other considerations at the time of the transit. The reality is that either ship on either itinerary may well take one route on one sailing and the other route on the next. But the other consideration is that the ships will leave their respective ports of embarkation late in the afternoon, so this part of the voyage will occur mostly at night in any case.

Second, many of the cruise lines have shifted the operating base of a ship or two from Vancouver to Seattle within the past decade to accommodate passengers who find it more expedient to cruise from Seattle. A few years ago, flights to and from Vancouver were pretty limited and the bus ride across the border from Seattle-Tacoma International Airport is quite tedious with likely delays at the border crossing.

As to the itineraries, I don't see much of a difference. The cruise that goes to Sitka is skipping another major port of call (IIRC, Skagway) that has even more attractions.

Having said that, I think you are making a serious mistake by considering either of the "round trip" cruises to Alaska. The better choice would be a cruise from Vancouver to Seward or vice versa aboard GTS Celebrity Millennium, as this would afford you a chance to see Anchorage and some of the interior. It turns out that "one way" air fare from Anchorage to Seattle is pretty cheap, so you can always book an "open jaw" ticket going to Vancouver and returning from Seattle, or vice versa, in conjunction with such a "one way" segment. If you don't have much time, just reserve a rental car at Anchorage International Airport and a hotel in Anchorage for a couple days before or after the cruise -- there are several great "day trip" destinations from Anchorage including Seward, Mount Alyeska Resort, and Talkeetna (for spectacular view of Mount McKinley, but check the weather forecast for the valley before setting out on this one...), and Whittier (for a day cruise to see the glaciers and wildlife in College Fjord).

Norm.