Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 13th, 2009, 10:00 AM
First Mate

Default Infinity - Reviews seem negative

Having just returned from an absolutely wonderful 10 day cruise (3/27 sailing) on Constellation, we were considering a Panama Canal cruise aboard Infinity, since we do like the Millenium class ships.

However, in reading the latest reader reiviews both here and on other sites, I am now not sure. I realize the reviews are subjective, but based on the ones I have read, they are definately biased toward negative. By way of contrast, most of the reviews on Constellation are positive.

So, anyone had any experience sailing Infinity versus the other Millenium class ships they would like to share? We were also lucky enough to have sailed Summit 5 years ago and that was also an excellent cruise.

We have already accepted the fact that Perry Grant would not be on Infinity (he said, tongue in cheek -the man is a fantastic entertainer), but other than that, any thoughts?

Perhaps I should ask folks to "Contrast and compare...." Infinity with other Millenium class ships expereiences.

As always, thanks in advance,

Sidl1962
Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Beginner

Default Infinity ship not so good

Hello: we just finished a 14 day cruise on the Infinity. Our original stateroom toilet did not work properly for the first half of the cruise, so we needed to be relocated on the ship.

The ship is in need of refurbishment. As can be seen, much corrosion, worn seating, damaged cabinets and items in the staterooms. The general cleanliness is below standards. Men's room many times had no hand towels. The ship had a funny odor at times.

It appeared that the Captain did not have a deck crew that was shipshape. We saw deck crew standing around, doing nothing. Of those who worked and helped, they were very happy and excellent staff. For the most part, the staff was very friendly, however I had a bit of a problem with Shore Excursion staff but that was resolved after some begging.

Food was a 3 on a scale of 5. We have never had 5 food yet, but many other cruises the food was at least 4.

Movies were just plain awful.

The plus side: Entertainment was superior.
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Captain

To the OP: I would keep doing research. We did a lot of research before sailing on the Pacific Princess in April, and 99% of what we read was very positive. We, on the other hand, had the most horrible experience(s) we've ever had on a cruise and will never be back.

We have sailed on most every X ship but the Infinity. Like you, we were interested in the Panama Canal cruise. We just booked it! We're sailing in September. I hope it's as good as our other X experiences. What I like about X (regardless of ship) is for us, they seem to always take matters to heart and attempt to change what is displeasing us.

Our friends who sail HAL and X took a 2-week on the Infinity to Hawaii in 07 I think. Although this was almost 2-years ago, they told me today they loved the Infinity and didn't have any complaints.
Old May 6th, 2009, 07:18 PM
First Mate

Triton,

Thanks for your input.

Guess what? We booked it for an October East/West transit !

Suprisingly, there were not a lot of cabins left (2A). We got our usual starboard side cabin, but not quite where we really wanted. I wonder why.

We intend to do the same thing we just did on Connie, and not do formal nights, nor dine in the main dining room at all. We found that the alternate dining was more convenient, and quieter by far than the main dining room. We realize this is not for everybody, but this is what we choose to do.

Now if they reopen the Mexican ports, we will be in reasonable shape !

Again, thanks for the input.

Sid1962
Old May 6th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Captain

Default Yay!

Sid1962: Great minds think alike, lol!

How are the prices on your October sailing? We thought about October, but what sold us on September 25 (West to East) was: 16 nights, we get the CC cabin 9038, which has the bump-out veranda, and right under the Aqua Spa / Thallossotherapy (makes it easy for snagging a chaise before the chair hogs reserve them all, lol).

Our cruise came down $400 in the past 2 weeks, we thought it was a steal.

I hear you about the dining room. Did you read the reviews on Pacific Princess? Having been on that particular cruise, other passengers I met and know had an awful experience and did not dine in the main dining room at all.

We've enjoyed the casual dining on X, and you're right- it's less frantic and loud, and more calming. The menu is good and the food servers spend a little more time. We also like the Sushi and Pizza station and specialty dining.

Hope you enjoy your cruise!
Old May 7th, 2009, 07:36 AM
First Mate

Triton,

When we were on Connie in March/April, we had 9032, and you are correct, it is very convenient despite being opposite the elevators. We liked the cabin because it had an overhang that kept sun out at certain times.

Yes , the chair hogs are alive and well. I would usually go up for coffee (we bring our own big travel mugs) around 6:00 AM, and 75% of the chaises in the Thalasotherapy pool area had towels on them !

As far as prices go, I guess we did OK. We did get quite a bit of OBC, so we are happy with it. I will keep an eye on them and see if they drop.

Any thoughts as to why there were so few cabins at this point? I was thinking that it had to do with the fact that a lot of retirees and seniors (such as my wife and I) booked, since the time frame and length pretty much preclude younger folk.

Sid1962
Old May 9th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Infinity- negitive comments

We are long time Celebirty fans. We find the Infinity our least favorite ship in the fleet. We can't put our finger on it but the last two times we sailed her we just didn't enjoy the cruise as much. In fact, this is the only Celebrity ship we won't sail again,.( reguardless of price and ports of call). Sorry Infinity fans but ships have a personality and this one deosn't work for us.

We're sailing Eclipse and Mercury in 2010.
Old May 9th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Captain

You're right Cookie, ships do have a personality! The Infinity is the only one we have not sailed on (sans the Solstice Fleet). We'll make sure we spread good energy around, hopefully it will improve - lol.
Old May 11th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Familiar Face

We just got off the Infinity yesterday afternoon after a 15 day Panama canal cruise. We took the "early out" and drove home when it docked in San Francisco rather than staying the last night there at the dock. It was our first Celebrity cruise and overall we were happy with it. Our only gripe was the fact we missed all 3 Mexico ports due to Swine flu and ended up in San Diego, Catalina, and an early docking in SF. The service and food on the Infinity was fine. My sister has sailed on Princess 3 times and said the food was better on Celebrity than Princess. If this is the worse of their ships, we will sail on them again. We didn't see any staff standing around - everyone was helpful, pleasant, and pampered us to a fault. We saw some little cosmetic issues but nothing major.
Old May 11th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Captain

Thanks, halfdomegnome for the feedback. The =X= line is all about customer service, IMHO. We have never had a "bad cruise" on any of their ships or itineraries.

We just returned from Princess, and will never be back. We think the food is very good on =X=. While every ship is not for everyone, it certainly helps when you find "the one" and can stick with it.

We have, and hopefully you'll be back!

We are taking the Infinity on a 16-night to the Panama in September. They informed us that the 3 Mexico ports may be substituted with the 3 ports you just described. We live in the Bay Area, as you do, and have discussed running home for the day. Part of me wants to make sure the plants are all living, our dog Bear is fine, etc....but the other side of me wants to play a tourist for the day, lol.
Old May 12th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Familiar Face

Hi Triton - we live about 180 miles away from SF (near Yosemite) but we had the some of the same issues at home - mainly the 6 cats our poor neighbor had been watching since we'd left on Apr 23. I know she was ready for a break and we were ready to sleep in our own bed. We briefly considered the idea of staying the night and playing tourist but the draw to go home was pretty strong. That, and the fact we were traveling with my sister and her husband and it was their car at the pier and they were ready to head home (to Sacramento) as well. We will sail with Celebrity again and actually booked another cruise while on board. We weren't happy that the Mexico ports had been changed to CA ports but some of the crew considered it an upgrade! We made the best of them and with the exception of cutting our cruise short by the one night (docked isn't "cruising"), the trip was great.