Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 4th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Passenger

Default New Dude Needs Help

New to the forum from North Carolina. Maybe someone can help me, my wife and I are thinking about a possible Alaskan cruise tour next (2010) year. Want to see the interior and looking for some suggestions. Have been reading up on options from Princess, Holland, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. Not limiting it to these if there are other options. We have been with Princess on the Inside Passage cruise in 2003 and loved it.
Thank you in advance for any information. If you would prefer, you may also email me at nctraveler54@gmail.com

Don
Sponsored Links
Old May 5th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Familiar Face

Hi New Dude,

We did Alaska in 2005. Unfortunately we only did a 3 day land tour with Celebrity before our one week cruise - NOT LONG ENOUGH.

Personally if I could do it over again, I would have gone to the interior of Alaska on our own. There are tons of web-sites and you can book on-line. Denali and Talkeetna are wonderful and I would want to stay more than 1 night in each place.

If you want to do it through the cruise line pick the 5 night or longer land portion.

Good luck.
Old May 5th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the reply. One that caught my eye is the 4 day cruise and 8-9 day land tour. We have looked at an RV trip as an option also.

Don
Old May 5th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Admiral

First off welcome to Cruisemates!! i think a balcony would be a good start.
you can`t go wrong in choosing any of the cruise lines that you have
mention.
Old May 5th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Passenger

We did the balcony on the first trip, well worth the money. Could sit outside and watch the whales, seals, birds, etc. We would like to see the inside of Alaska if you go back. That is why we are looking at cruisetours this time. Just trying to find out the +/- of the different options. Thanks

Don
Old May 18th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to CruisingEasy

I tried to email the gmail address but it came back undeliverable. I can give you great advice if you want to email me at gregg814@aol.com
Old May 18th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Passenger

Message sent. Sorry, can't spell.

Don
Old May 30th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

I would consider Celebrity before Princess again to Alaska. Have done both to Alaska many times.
(food is better and more staff on Celebrity vs Princess)

The only ship we sail on Princess to Alaska is Sea Princess because it sails roundtrip San Francisco which gives more sea days.
Old June 1st, 2009, 06:54 PM
Admiral

Default Re: New Dude Needs Help

Don,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
New to the forum from North Carolina. Maybe someone can help me, my wife and I are thinking about a possible Alaskan cruise tour next (2010) year. Want to see the interior and looking for some suggestions. Have been reading up on options from Princess, Holland, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. Not limiting it to these if there are other options. We have been with Princess on the Inside Passage cruise in 2003 and loved it.
All of the major cruise lines offer three basic cruise itineraries, with only minor differences.

>> The "round trip" itineraries may operate from either Seattle or Vancouver, but do not get as far as Anchorage.

>> The "Gulf of Alaska Northbound" itineraries operate from Vancouver to either Seward or Whittier, permitting a visit to the interior after the cruise.

>> The "Gulf of Alaska Southbound" itineraries operate from either Seward or Whittier to Vancouver, permitting a visit to the interior before the cruise.

All three basic itineraries typically call at three of the four major ports of call on the Inside Passage (Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, and Sitka) and visit at least one of the major glacier areas (Hubbard Glacier, Glacier Bay, and College Fjord). Some spend a second day visiting glaciers while others include a minor port of call (Hoonah, Haines, Prince Rupert, Victoria, etc.). Note that "round trip" cruises that operate out of Seattle MUST stop in a Canadian port to meet the requirements of a U. S. law called the Passenger Services Act. Also, nearly all of the major cruise lines offer a slew of land tour options that connect with their "Gulf of Alaska" cruises in both directions.

So which is best? The real differentiator is the style of each line, and your preference in style may be very different than mine. If you found Princess to be a good fit for you, by all means stick with Princess. If you are looking for something more traditional than Princess, Celebrity might be a good fit. And if you are looking for something more energetic than Princess, check out Carnival and Royal Caribbean.

Norm.