CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Celebrity (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/celebrity/)
-   -   Major Change in Dining Celebrity Select Dining (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/celebrity/364324-major-change-dining-celebrity-select-dining.html)

dkjretired May 11th, 2009 08:38 AM

Major Change in Dining Celebrity Select Dining

Celebrity has announced they you know may choose between Traditional dining and Select Dining which is basically anytime dining. Below is the area from the Web Site. If you choose Select the tipping on your account will be mandatory.

[Don

http://www.celebritycruises.com/whyc...nts&cS=SIDENAV

Sid1962 May 11th, 2009 09:49 AM

When it says that a prepaid gratuity will be included with your reservation, does that mean that it is prepaid for the entire cruise, or on a per day basis if you make a reservation?

As an example, say we choose this option, but only use it on 4 days of a 7 day cruise. Is the prepaid gratuity for dining room service for the entire 7 days, or only for the days we use the main dining room under Select Dining?

Sid1962

dkjretired May 11th, 2009 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid1962
When it says that a prepaid gratuity will be included with your reservation, does that mean that it is prepaid for the entire cruise, or on a per day basis if you make a reservation?

As an example, say we choose this option, but only use it on 4 days of a 7 day cruise. Is the prepaid gratuity for dining room service for the entire 7 days, or only for the days we use the main dining room under Select Dining?

Sid1962

The way I read it you can't choose both, it is one way or the other.
This is brand new so I guess we will have to see how it plays out but it is very similiar to what Royal Caribbean has been doing.

Triton May 11th, 2009 01:43 PM

This is interesting. I guess a lot of passengers have requested this, for =X= to make the change. I hope it works well for all.

We just booked our Panama cruise for this September and were not asked. We received our table for 2 for the early dining, so we're good to go.

Just finished a Princess cruise, and this was how they operate as well. Your gratuity is automatically added to your stateroom charges, which was about $11 a day. We had some problems with our Maitre'D and dining, so only ate in the 2 Specialty restaurants and the Panorama buffet, which was a first for us. We had to see the purser 2-days prior to the last day to have the gratuity lifted, as we did not eat in the main dining room.

Rather than just remove the dining staff's gratuity, they "had to" remove the whole charge of $308, and then we individually passed out the gratuity to housekeeping, etc. My guess is, it may work like this.

dkjretired May 12th, 2009 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triton
This is interesting. I guess a lot of passengers have requested this, for =X= to make the change. I hope it works well for all.

We just booked our Panama cruise for this September and were not asked. We received our table for 2 for the early dining, so we're good to go.

Just finished a Princess cruise, and this was how they operate as well. Your gratuity is automatically added to your stateroom charges, which was about $11 a day. We had some problems with our Maitre'D and dining, so only ate in the 2 Specialty restaurants and the Panorama buffet, which was a first for us. We had to see the purser 2-days prior to the last day to have the gratuity lifted, as we did not eat in the main dining room.

Rather than just remove the dining staff's gratuity, they "had to" remove the whole charge of $308, and then we individually passed out the gratuity to housekeeping, etc. My guess is, it may work like this.

Yes, currently when you remove the gratuities on Celebrity you have to remove them all or none. It should be remembered though that prepaid gratuities are totally different and cannot be removed. I suspect this new procedure falls into the category of prepaid and will not be able to be removed. They probably will need to do this to get headcounts to organize the dining room depending on the numbers of who wants traditional or the new dining.

dkjretired May 12th, 2009 09:47 AM

And now they have removed it from the web site. Here's the same page I referenced yesterday. Go figure...

Don

http://www.celebritycruises.com/whyc...nts&cS=SIDENAV

Triton May 12th, 2009 12:35 PM

:-? Huh? What's up with that? I read it too...Maybe they're pushing back the roll-out date?

I agree with you Don about the pre-paid, I too heard it was to get an accurate head-count for dining. Those food servers / Maitre'D and managers work their tails off, I can only imagine they need to implement that policy.

daysatsea May 12th, 2009 04:17 PM

Prepaying your gratuities are not gratuities added to your account - prepaid gratuities are added to your cruise cost and paid with your final payment. From what I have read on other boards, prepaid gratuities cannot be removed since they have been paid before the cruise and are not part of your onboard account.
However, you can remove the auto gratuities that are added to your account (if you don't prepay your gratuities before the cruise).

Triton May 13th, 2009 03:25 PM

Actually, I don't think so. Our gratuities were pre-paid and we had them removed. They were not added to our account, it was actually the cruise line's policy (this was on Princess). Their only stipulation was, we had to settle this prior to the last full day on the ship. On =X=, we elected to have gratuities added to our account a few times, and other times we passed out envelopes with cash on the day prior to the final day.

Here is a picture of an inner office memo from a Carnival Accounting office, which was sent to me by a pax. You can see that certain guests requested to have the pre-paid gratuities lifted from their account (for whatever reason) and were accommodated.

I just checke the =X= website, and at this time they state gratuities are added on a daily basis and can be modified if the pax chooses.

I guess it's all moot at this point, since they removed the new dining option...

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/g...5085/81892.jpg

dkjretired May 13th, 2009 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triton
Actually, I don't think so. Our gratuities were pre-paid and we had them removed. They were not added to our account, it is actually the cruise line's policy (this was on Princess). Their only stipulation was, we had to settle this prior to the last full day on the ship. On =X=, we elected to have gratuities added to our account a few times, and other times we passed out envelopes with cash on the day prior to the final day.

Here is a picture of an inner office memo from a Carnival Accounting office, which was sent to me by a pax. You can see that certain guests requested to have the pre-paid gratuities lifted from their account (for whatever reason) and were accommodated.

I just checke the =X= website, and at this time they state gratuities are added on a daily basis and can be modified if the pax chooses.

The Splendor memo was very embarrassing to the cruise line but was an exception. What occurred on that cruise was they eliminated a whole bunch of ports due to the Mexico swine flu problem. They added all at sea days and many passengers decided to leave the ship prior to the finish of the cruise. They made this list apparently of those leaving the ship early who decided to remove the tips and tip on their own because they would be on the ship less days.

What Days at sea stated about prepaid tipping on Celebrity is true. The tips are actually paid prior to the cruise and cannot be removed.

Don

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/g...5085/81892.jpg

Triton May 13th, 2009 04:45 PM

Sorry Don, but I do need to clarify. There is no hard and fast rule, that gratuities cannot be modified. I have a contact in guest relations at =X= who verified this. Additionally, I just spoke with Brianna and Kirby (sp?) in the Certified Vacation Planning Department (1-800-556-8209) who also verified that this is not a policy of =X=. All have stated that the guest comes first with their philosophy of customer service.

They "strongly suggest" for guests to pre-pay. They also mentioned that the "My Dining" on RCI does require pre-payment of gratuities, but in the end, if a guest wants to modify their gratuity, they can indeed. Again, they stated, this is not a policy which is set in stone, but "strongly suggested". A perfect example would be a pax not dining in the dining room for one-week out of a two-week cruise. She stated this does happen frequently, and they see pax on the last day before the end of the cruise at the purser's desk modifying their gratuities.

OLD MAN May 13th, 2009 09:07 PM

Just off of a RCCL cruise last week with "MY Time" dining. Here's how it worked. If you switch from regular seating to "MY Time" dining you cannot switch back because when you switch, they fill your regular seating seat with a person that was waiting for "let's say" a first seating. So you can not go back because your seat has been filled. Now, what about the tips in "MY Time" dining. During the week you might have four or five different waiters. So who do you give the tip too on the last day? Well, you put your tips on your sail card (mandatory) and the cruise line pools the tips and all of the waiters share the pool. That means that on the last night you give your tips (voucher, no cash, remember it's on the sail card) to the waiter that just's happens to be your waiter for the last night. It does not make any difference who he is. In fact you could just hand it to any waiter, he'll say thank you and turn it in the pool for all to share. It worked great and I think that after some more test runs, RCCL will have all "MY Time" dining along with mandatory tips on all of their ships. Like I said, I just did this system about five days ago and I am also five pounds heaver, but it was a great time. OM

Triton May 13th, 2009 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD MAN
I just did this system about five days ago and I am also five pounds heaver, but it was a great time. OM

LOL, that's great though. I'm a firm believer in staying healthy as possible at home, but on the cruise? I'll gain 5-pounds right along with you! And you know what? It's worth it to me! :D

Seafun May 14th, 2009 03:52 AM

Ah yes... gaining weight on board...

Shoot! If you don't gain a pound a day, you're just not doing it right, LOL. :roll:

Say, Triton, I guess I figured out the "other" site you alluded to... :-)

Very much looking forward to meeting you and your partner on the Infinity. Just getting the hang of this board. Tried to PM you, and it ended up coming to ME! Tried several times to get an avatar photo put in but that task is always tricky for me too.

I'll get there... :D

Seafun May 14th, 2009 04:17 AM

Okay... progress...

I got the avatar picture to work -- who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?? :D

Triton May 14th, 2009 01:07 PM

Re: Ah yes... gaining weight on board...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seafun
Shoot! If you don't gain a pound a day, you're just not doing it right, LOL. :roll:

Say, Triton, I guess I figured out the "other" site you alluded to... :-)

Very much looking forward to meeting you and your partner on the Infinity. Just getting the hang of this board. Tried to PM you, and it ended up coming to ME! Tried several times to get an avatar photo put in but that task is always tricky for me too.

I'll get there... :D

Seafun, welcome to Cruisemates! Happy to have you over to our message boards, and another fellow pax to gain a few pounds with. :D The =X= (Celebrity) board is packed full of information from regular =X=cruisers who enjoy helping others out, and providing useful information. Really, some great posters on this site, and we appreciate them all.

Mosey around the other boards on Cruisemates, at your leisure. Will look forward to bumping into you more.

Yes, our Panama cruise will be a great one, can hardly wait!