Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 1st, 2009, 09:07 PM
Captain

Default Celebrity vs. Royal Caribbean

I'm a Celebrity-aholic. There I admitted it! I've tried Princess and Carnival and for me and my family, they don't hold a candle to the =X=.

For those of you who have sailed Royal Caribbean AND =X=, can you please educate me a little more on the former? We would like to try Royal, I understand the parent company and their relationship to =X=, but am thinking of giving them a shot next year, in 2010. There's an incredible deal for a TA from Harwich , with stops in Ireland, Iceland, Nova Scotia, etc. I know there may be more children on board RC, and a little more outdoor activities...but what else?

We would be able to transfer our status to RC at their Diamond level.

I see many of signature blocks, and the cruises you have taken, so please educate me.

Thanks Cruise Mates!
Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2009, 12:17 AM
Admiral

I can only say that I love Celebrity. Cruised twice on Carnival, but won't do it again. It's not the line for us.

We cruised on the Liberty OTS last year and we had a great time. We loved the entertainment and all the many activities on the ship.
We are booked on the Liberty for november and the Oasis for neat april.

We are also Diamod members and enjoyed the benifits of such.

But we will still sail on Celebrity when we can.

We love both lines.

TM

l
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old July 2nd, 2009, 04:51 PM
Passenger

Hi, Triton. Last time I salied with Royal C. was many, many years ago, so
I can't really remember well and things do change with time. Sorry!

Forgive me, but you being a Celebrity fan, what makes it so special? My
husband and I will be saling to Scandinavia and Russia in Constellation
and recently, I've come across very bad reviews from other cruisemates
about Celebrity and its ships.... We already paid in full and are very
distressed.

Can you help me on this?

Pinkflower
Athens,Rhodes,Istanbul.... Bye!
Old July 2nd, 2009, 05:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
There's an incredible deal for a TA from Harwich , with stops in Ireland, Iceland, Nova Scotia, etc. I know there may be more children on board RC, and a little more outdoor activities...but what else?
On a transatlantic sailing you won`t see many kids at all .... on any ships.

RCI`s ships are gorgeous, so you should love the interiors. Food... not so much
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old July 3rd, 2009, 10:57 AM
Captain

Default Thanks

Thanks Manuel and Kuki...I do love Transatlantics! I love kids too, but we have respectfully "done our time", With both of them in college now.

Pink Flower: We sailed on the Constellation when we did the Scandinavia Russia itinerary, which you're doing. It was our first trip to Northern Europe, cruising and we loved every minute on the Constellation. There is a reason why Celebrity's Constellation won so many awards, year after year. Celebrity (=X=) is a line that truly believes in excellence in guest services! From the sweet and friendly staff who you will see constantly vacuuming, polishing and desanitizing, to your Cruise Director, Butler and Dining staff. They will do whatever they can to exceed your expectations. To this day, the Constellation is our favorite ship, by far!

I think there will be negative reviews or comments about any ship. Look at the star rating or consumer rating, or critic's rating. Celebrity's Constellation has done extremely well.

If you haven't already done so, sign up to be a Captains Club member. You will be awarded points and the more cruises you take with =X=, the higher on their rung you will go. It really is a great system and we love the perks of the Captains Club.

Did you book a veranda, CC or inside stateroom? There is going to be some magnificient scenerey...especially sailing into and out of Denmark and Norway. Don't underestimate Warmenunde, Germany (sp?). We took a tour to Rostock and were disappointed somewhat...when we returned to the ship we walked over to the quaint beach town and had a ball. Beautiful shops, people, beach and there is a very cool Cafe / restaurant right on the beach with lounge chairs outside so you can enjoy the scenery. It is a really nice stroll and reminded us of Monterey or Carmel a little bit. The locals are very freindly, and they ALL eat ice cream, .

If you're interested, e-mail / private messenge me and I'll be happy to tell you more about our cruise, the ports and what the highlights are.

You will have a wonderful time. I am sure you will be pleased with Celebrity and the Constellation.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 07:00 PM
Familiar Face

Default Royal/Celebrity

I am a Celebrity cruiser (22 cruises with them) and I tried Royal last November. I did not care for it at all. Some passengers told me this specific cruise was a bit unusual, not as nice as to what they were used to. I found the food and service was the huge difference in the lines. I also choose a very large ship and found the ship too big with too many passengers. I expected to meet more people etc but the ship was too large to see the same people. For me, I would not go back to Royal again. I will be curious to hear what your experience will be if you try Royal.
Old July 4th, 2009, 02:17 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkflower
Hi, Triton. Last time I salied with Royal C. was many, many years ago, so
I can't really remember well and things do change with time. Sorry!

Forgive me, but you being a Celebrity fan, what makes it so special? My
husband and I will be saling to Scandinavia and Russia in Constellation
and recently, I've come across very bad reviews from other cruisemates
about Celebrity and its ships.... We already paid in full and are very
distressed.

Can you help me on this?

Pinkflower
I've only sailed on Celebrity twice, RCCL once and an old line back in 1978. I love Celebrity! Did an 11nt to Mexico Riviera in 2006 on Infinity and last year did a 12nt cruisetour to Alaska that started in Fairbanks for a 5nt landtour then boarded the Millennium in Seward for a 7nt cruise southbound to Vancouver. Both of our cruises with X were fabulous! Loved every thing about them! The landtour was fabulous, as well! Great Tour Directors! I wouldn't pay much attention to most of the negative reviews. The more you read negative reviews, the more you'll look for problems, the more you read perfect reviews, the more you'll expect and that will lead to a big disappointment! Go in with a positive attitude and you will have a great cruise. Takes too much energy to be unhappy!

April 26, 2009 Mariner 7nt Mex to SF - oops!
June 1, 2008 Millennium 12nt Alaska Cruisetour
April 17, 2006 Infinity 11nt Mexico
October 28, 1978 Delian Daphne 17nt Mediterrean/Black Sea

Click on WWW below to see our pix!
Old July 4th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Admiral

I think that the best thing to do is to cruise on both.
That is what I have been doing and will continue to do.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old July 4th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Admiral

Default Celebrity/Royal Carribean horror story

Think it was four or five years ago when we did a t/a from HARWICH TO BOSTON ..and I don't remember any ports (we also had a very, very rough day at sea). Distinctly we had an outside cabin with veranda on the 8th deck.. beautiful ship. kuki,Triton, memories of it are literally painful..First morning in the beautiful solarium as i was getting out of the jacuzzi because of the overflowing water and slippery TILE STEP i slipped and badly fractured my wrist and dislocated my thumb..thats how i started off my cruise on he first a.m...After having it worked on by the two physicians,and nurse, a security officer continually questioned me if i had been drinking.. given pain killers, a bill arrived that night and was never called or seen again..oh yes..for many reasons i remembered my orthopedics phone # and had the M.D. call him before he worked on me.. Went back to the solarium where my clothes were dumped on the floor by guest who said 'you weren't there'...That was #1..Dining room service except for our waiter was indifferent..R.C. regulars even complained..#2.. As i was attempting to disembark with my hand in a cast (didn't think about a wheel chair). I mentioned to the sales rep how disappointed I was in aspects of the cruise and his answer was.. and this is a direct quote.."What do y ou expect from a cheap cruise"....It just so happens at our table was a Judge and his wife from Broward County in Florida, a D.A. from L.A. and his wife..both had done a previous cruise.. so this was a back to back for these two couples.. and a honeymoon couple from Scotland going to visit his parents outside of Boston and us..#4.. Then the saddest thing and most horrific thing was a young man in a motorized wheelchair who was all over the ship.. His father asked the above man while we were waiting to disembark if he could leave the ship early to go home..the "sales rep" said... and I heard him.. "wait your turn"..Even Parrot Pop who is easy to please thought the ships entertainment troupe looked like they had Halloween wigs on and remnants of drapery material for costumes.. AS year or so later as I was booking a cruise with Celebrity a RC Sales Manager came over...and I told her the story.. complete with exact names and dates..She knew the sales rep...and was horrified and apologized. Now, my friends want us to try Royal Caribbean again...Except for the ports...WHY!!!! Later learned that the two most dangerous spots on the BOS were the inside jacuzzi and the glass steps in the Atrium.. Am I stupid enough to try a second RC..I don't know yet. I just know that after trying Princess for the first time.. I would love to go back to Celebrity.. but if I do RC it will only be because of the ports and the fact it ends in Boston.. but I'll hold my nose when or if I make a downpayment and hope for the best and have very low expectations. When I arrived home a visit to the orthopedic was on the agenda for the next day.. he and his associates looking at his x-ray of the Colles fx thought I would lose at least 30% of the use of my left wrist..Within a week I was operated on, four screws inserted in my arm and wrist and a metal rod....and being a terrible patient did all I wasn't supposed to do..mainly somebody had to take care of our parrots and now except for weakness I've regained ALMOST ALL the use of my wrist. Should I try this line again...somebody will have to do a fanastic selling job or arm twisting...lol