Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 22nd, 2009, 07:43 PM
First Mate

Default Pre-Paid Gratuities

Folks,

I have also asked this on another board, but erhaps someone here can also assist.

We are on a trans canal in October (Infinity). I have made the final payment for the cruise. I would now like to pay my gratuities before the cruise.

I asked my TA about this, and she claimed that Celebrity doesn't provide for this (she said RCCL did). However, several people on the other board say they have pre-paid gratuities with Celebrity.

So, my question is, does anyone know how a TA does thsi? Grantewd, she should know, but does'nt. Rather than argue the point, if I could sned her the info to do this, then I think it would work out.

One other suggestion was to purchase OBC's in the amount of the gratuities. So, has anyone here done that? Purchased OBC's? If so, how? Through the TA, or with Celebrity directly?

Lots of questions....thanks for your patience.

Read and post cruise reviews
Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2009, 08:50 PM
Captain

Hey Sid!

Are you mistaking "pre-paid gratuities" (where the travel agent pays for them as an incentive) with pre-paying your own gratuities before you board? We have "pre-paid" on our upcoming Mercury cruise. I have never heard of paying your own prior to the cruise. But perhaps an OBC purchased ahead of time is the answer. I would call Celebrity to find out.
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old July 22nd, 2009, 09:00 PM
First Mate

No, no mistake. We too have had pre-paid gratuities.

We want to pay them early so as to spread out the overall cost of the cruise somewhat.

I will give Celebrity a call and see about the OBC's.

...and if it doesn't work out, oh well.....

Old July 23rd, 2009, 10:04 AM
Captain

Sid-after you call Celebrity,would you be kind enough to post whatever they tell you? I would be interested to know if pre-paying is an option (although we don't need it this time ) I like to prepay as much as possible-it's nice to cruise without having a humungous bill when it's over!
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old July 24th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

You can prepay your gratuties before your Celebrity cruise.
We booked our own cruise directly with Celebrity and when I go to My Celebrity and look at my cruise info, there is a spot for prepaying gratuities.

Your travel agent should call Celebrity. Maybe your TA hasn't been updated about the newew procedures.
Galaxy-11/99
Horizon-Adults only-11/02
Century-1/04
Millennium-12/05
Century-1/09

Mercury-Alaska-6/00
Millennium-Transatlantic-9/01, 10/03, 11/05
Zenith-Special Caribbean 11/06
Back to back Millennium 28 days - Mediterranean 11/18/07, Transatlantic - 12/2/07
Old July 24th, 2009, 05:23 PM
First Mate

The matter has been resolved.

I called Celebrity directly and purchased some OBC's. The amount was more than the grartuities, since we do purchase a beverage or a specialty coffe on occasion. Also, we will no doubt take advantage of the alternative dining, and that is an additional $2.00 per person (suggested gratuity). I was sent an email with a receipt showing the date of purchase and the amount. I was told there will be a card in the stateroom indicating the amount.

The good thing about doing this is that should we choose, we can adjust the gratuity amount since the gartuities them selves have not been paid, but will accumulate daily on the SeaPass account.

In speaking with Celebrity, they did confirm that you can pre-pay gratuities. At this point I am not going to pursue this with our TA since I think purchasing OBC's in advance is a better solution.

Thanks to all for all the info.....

Old July 27th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Pre-Paid Gratuities

Sid1962,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Folks,

I have also asked this on another board, but erhaps someone here can also assist.

We are on a trans canal in October (Infinity). I have made the final payment for the cruise. I would now like to pay my gratuities before the cruise.

I asked my TA about this, and she claimed that Celebrity doesn't provide for this (she said RCCL did). However, several people on the other board say they have pre-paid gratuities with Celebrity.

So, my question is, does anyone know how a TA does thsi? Grantewd, she should know, but does'nt. Rather than argue the point, if I could sned her the info to do this, then I think it would work out.

One other suggestion was to purchase OBC's in the amount of the gratuities. So, has anyone here done that? Purchased OBC's? If so, how? Through the TA, or with Celebrity directly?

Lots of questions....thanks for your patience.
When I dispatched my godson to Alaska last month as his graduation and commissioning present, I prepaid the gratuities aboard the ship. It's actually quite easy to arrange this. Your travel agent might have to call Celebrity's service desk and speak to a representative if the reservation system does not allow travel agents to make that entry, but the representative can add it to the reservation quite easily.

Norm.
Old July 31st, 2009, 11:19 AM
Beginner

Default pre pay

if you pre pay you are paying for somthing that might not be good service it is much better if you give it to the staff personly then you know who is getting it
Old July 31st, 2009, 12:41 PM
Passenger

what does OBC stand for ?

David
Old July 31st, 2009, 06:52 PM
First Mate

OBC = On Board Credits

These are placed on your SeaPass account, and decrease with each purchase while on board. As well, gratuities are added to your SeaPass account, unless you have pre-paid them, or they have been pre-paid for you.

Old July 31st, 2009, 06:59 PM
Beginner

Default pre pay

you just go down and tell them to take of the pre pay and you will pay who you want to pay and the amercians are the first in the in line you do not pay for something you have not recieved i was on the qe2 and all the people in fron tof me was not from the uk
Old August 2nd, 2009, 08:50 PM
Admiral

Default Re: pre pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasty45
you just go down and tell them to take of the pre pay and you will pay who you want to pay and the amercians are the first in the in line you do not pay for something you have not recieved i was on the qe2 and all the people in fron tof me was not from the uk
Prepaid tips and tips which are placed on your account on board are two totally different things. Prepaid tips cannot be removed from the account, they are paid just as you would pay for the cruise. The tips which are placed on your account are added up at the end of the cruise and your method of payment is charged. You may remove these or change them upwards or leave them alone, the choice is yours.

Just wanted to point out that we are talking about two totally different things here..

Don