Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 5th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Beginner

Default SMART CASUAL AND ABOVE

What should I bring to wear on the days marked Smart Casual and Above? I have sailed with Celebrity five other times and they had three types of evening wear categories in the past. Formal, Semi Formal and Casual. What is with "Smart Casual and Above"" I am due to sail on Equinox's trip leaving from Rome on August 31st. Please advise. THANKS.
Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Admiral

Default DRESS

Its enough to drive a woman crazy..lol..JUST ABOUT ANYTHING WILL DO. The last cruise I wore nice slacks with a dressy or almost dressy blouse/top. For normal.. I wear a dressy bottom and top... with the weight limits and my hatred of dealng with it..(last time we paid $183.00 each way)..dressy tops and jewelry..real or faux... will do.. DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF...IT JUST ain't worth it...dress to please yourself.. in the fact you look in the mirror and stand up straight and tall and march yourself to dinner..lol
Old August 21st, 2009, 06:41 PM
Admiral

Default Re: SMART CASUAL AND ABOVE

SHALYN,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
What should I bring to wear on the days marked Smart Casual and Above?
The safest course of action is to follow the guidance in your pre-cruise documents or on Celebrity's web site, as that's what most other passengers will do.

Basically, for gents, "smart casual" means a shirt with a collar and slacks or khakis, socks, and dress-style shoes. For ladies, either a relatively casual dress or a top with a skirt or slacks would be fine. Generally, shorts and clothing made of denim are not appropriate.

But if you wish to wear something more dressy, it's permissible to do so.

Norm.
Old August 21st, 2009, 07:42 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
SHALYN,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
What should I bring to wear on the days marked Smart Casual and Above?
The safest course of action is to follow the guidance in your pre-cruise documents or on Celebrity's web site, as that's what most other passengers will do.

Basically, for gents, "smart casual" means a shirt with a collar and slacks or khakis, socks, and dress-style shoes. For ladies, either a relatively casual dress or a top with a skirt or slacks would be fine. Generally, shorts and clothing made of denim are not appropriate.

But if you wish to wear something more dressy, it's permissible to do so.

Norm.
But don't worry about it, from recent cruisers, Celebrity is not enforcing any of their dress codes in the dining rooms, specialty restaurants or anywhere...From what I have been reading, they might as well not have them...

Don
Old August 24th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Admiral

Don,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
But don't worry about it, from recent cruisers, Celebrity is not enforcing any of their dress codes in the dining rooms, specialty restaurants or anywhere...From what I have been reading, they might as well not have them...
There are definite correlations between conformance with dress code and both (1) length of a cruise and (2) destination. Passengers on longer cruises are more apt to conform than passengers on shorter cruises. Also, conformance is noticeably higher on European and on Transatlantic cruises than on cruises to other destinations.

But in any case, I really feel very strongly that "ignore the dress code" is absolutely the wrong advice to give for several reasons.

>> 1. By social etiquette, it's rude not to conform to the dress code even if other passengers don't.

>> 2. On cruises on which the overwhelming majority of the passengers do conform, those who don't may feel extremely awkward and may get a lot of stares of disbelief from other passengers.

>> 3. Celebrity, or a particular ship, could start enforcing the dress codes very strictly at any time, creating difficult situations for passengers who don't have appropriate attire.

>> 4. Advising newcomers passengers to ignore the dress code because everybody else does tends to become a self-fulfilling prophecy -- people on the receiving end of such advice don't conform, diminishing conformance.

For the sake of the many people who look forward to a cruise as an opportunity to "dress to the nines" for elegant evenings, let's do our best to preserve the ambiance that proper dress helps to establish. There are plenty of other cruise lines out there that are catering to folks who want to "dress down" the whole time.

'Kay?

Norm.
Old August 25th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Don,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
There are definite correlations between conformance with dress code and both (1) length of a cruise and (2) destination. Passengers on longer cruises are more apt to conform than passengers on shorter cruises. Also, conformance is noticeably higher on European and on Transatlantic cruises than on cruises to other destinations.

But in any case, I really feel very strongly that "ignore the dress code" is absolutely the wrong advice to give for several reasons.

>> 1. By social etiquette, it's rude not to conform to the dress code even if other passengers don't.

>> 2. On cruises on which the overwhelming majority of the passengers do conform, those who don't may feel extremely awkward and may get a lot of stares of disbelief from other passengers.

>> 3. Celebrity, or a particular ship, could start enforcing the dress codes very strictly at any time, creating difficult situations for passengers who don't have appropriate attire.

>> 4. Advising newcomers passengers to ignore the dress code because everybody else does tends to become a self-fulfilling prophecy -- people on the receiving end of such advice don't conform, diminishing conformance.

For the sake of the many people who look forward to a cruise as an opportunity to "dress to the nines" for elegant evenings, let's do our best to preserve the ambiance that proper dress helps to establish. There are plenty of other cruise lines out there that are catering to folks who want to "dress down" the whole time.

'Kay?

Norm.
In the past I would agree with you, I was excoriated on this board and others for telling people to follow the dress code. At this point, quite frankly, Celebrity doesn't care about their dress code so why bother. They make rules and then don't enforce them and from my understanding, it doesn't matter anymore the length or location of the cruise. Makes you wonder what other rules they don't care about..

Don
Old August 25th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Captain

Hi Shalyn:

I have noticed a difference between cruise itineraries, and tend to agree that European itineraries or Transatlantics do seem to have a different atmosphere, and pax will "dress to the nines" on these cruises. Additionally, warmer weather cruises (Mexico, Caribbean, etc.) tend to be less formal - this is my observation.

Yes do check your documents for appropriate wear.

Saying that, Parrot Mom has some good advice. Maybe we can get some more female Cruisemates on here to give you some suggestions, "from a woman's point of view." Sounds like you were not looking for a book of "dos and donts" but some guidelines.
Old August 26th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Captain

Don.[/quote]

In the past I would agree with you, I was excoriated on this board and others for telling people to follow the dress code. At this point, quite frankly, Celebrity doesn't care about their dress code so why bother. They make rules and then don't enforce them and from my understanding, it doesn't matter anymore the length or location of the cruise. Makes you wonder what other rules they don't care about..

Don[/quote]

I agree with you about why have dress code rules if they are not enforced. All the rhetoric in the world has little meaning if a cruise line does not enforce dress code rules. Celebrity often tries to be all things to all people and IMHO that just does not work.

I was on a b2b Princess cruise and every passenger that I saw was dresses appropriately on formal nights. I personally think that having all passengers adhere to the dress code enhances one's cruise experience. As someone said there are plenty of cruise lines who do offer a more casual cruise experience for those who like to dress casual at all times.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old August 26th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Admiral

Default DRESS CODE

NORM, over the years we have had this discussion many, many times.. but my big question is ...WHO ON THE SHIP IS GOING TO THE FASHION ARBITER?? Who is going to judge whether a man or G-d forbid a woman is dressed correctly.. Is there going to be a "dress code enforcer" at the dining room door? My big thing is why women and men wear those silly shoes, flip flops.. As for our one cruise o Princess.. I found the majority of the cruisers "stick in the muds"..they may not be young physically, but weren't as outgoing as I have found people on another cruise line.. My first reaction to our first and possibly our last Princess cruise is that they were extremely conservative...and stuffy... as I've said before it was more like a cruise for true senior citizens..and I wont go much further than that.. IF I were on a cruise and saw somebody in the dinin room I would head to the Head Maitre de and complain... We have a restaurant here where we live where we once went with our young teenage sons. . and the Maitre de gave my eldest son a sports jacket to wear. Do you really think that the cruise lines would dare to question or insult their passengers..I doubt it...
Old August 27th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Admiral

Default Re: DRESS CODE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom
NORM, over the years we have had this discussion many, many times.. but my big question is ...WHO ON THE SHIP IS GOING TO THE FASHION ARBITER?? Who is going to judge whether a man or G-d forbid a woman is dressed correctly.. Is there going to be a "dress code enforcer" at the dining room door? My big thing is why women and men wear those silly shoes, flip flops.. As for our one cruise o Princess.. I found the majority of the cruisers "stick in the muds"..they may not be young physically, but weren't as outgoing as I have found people on another cruise line.. My first reaction to our first and possibly our last Princess cruise is that they were extremely conservative...and stuffy... as I've said before it was more like a cruise for true senior citizens..and I wont go much further than that.. IF I were on a cruise and saw somebody in the dinin room I would head to the Head Maitre de and complain... We have a restaurant here where we live where we once went with our young teenage sons. . and the Maitre de gave my eldest son a sports jacket to wear. Do you really think that the cruise lines would dare to question or insult their passengers..I doubt it...
I have been on Celebrity cruises since their inception in the early 90s. The answer is quite simple because they used to to do exactly what you stated. It was up to the Maitre D to tell people they were improperly dressed and it was enforced and strictly. They did the same thing back in the day with the theater and many of the clubs as they had a policy of dress code for the evening and not just dinner. Employees were stationed at the doors and you just couldn't get in, no questions asked.

My point with the dress codes is why have them if you have no intention of enforcing them. Either use them or lose them...
Old August 27th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Admiral

Default BACK IN THE DAYS

Our first cruise was on the NCL Seaward more than 25 years ago and I can remember distinctly "french service"..Let me be snobbish about this...with the addition of ice skating rinks, wall climbing, and bowling alleys... do you really think with the exception of a few cruise lines whose prices are a bit too high for some of us seniors.. that the cruise lines want to upset passengers and their revenue..I'm not a fuddy duddy, but if Parrot Pop after more than 20 years plus of wearing a tux says enough is enough and wears a dark sport jacket and I'm dressed to the "nines"...and I was told I wasnt up to "code".. I'd be highly insulted and change cruise lines..
Old August 27th, 2009, 09:59 AM
First Mate

Norm, We wore this out a couple of years ago and not much has changed except that all or most of the cruise lines have relaxed their dress codes and noone appears to be enforcing anything.My observation in the dining room is that those who do not follow the code could care less about what others say or think.Some areas of enforcement are addressed and I noticed on our most recent Carnival cruise children under 18 were not allowed in the aft pool or hot tubs and this was taken care of on numerous occasions and I commend them for their on going attention.It is posted next to the pool so there is no excuse for not observing.Maybe we need a sign by the dining room door. Just kidding as this would never fly.Over all I was very impressed with most of those on our 49 day cruise on Carnival and most of them were retired couples from Fla.
Old August 27th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by big apple
Norm, We wore this out a couple of years ago and not much has changed except that all or most of the cruise lines have relaxed their dress codes and noone appears to be enforcing anything.My observation in the dining room is that those who do not follow the code could care less about what others say or think.Some areas of enforcement are addressed and I noticed on our most recent Carnival cruise children under 18 were not allowed in the aft pool or hot tubs and this was taken care of on numerous occasions and I commend them for their on going attention.It is posted next to the pool so there is no excuse for not observing.Maybe we need a sign by the dining room door. Just kidding as this would never fly.Over all I was very impressed with most of those on our 49 day cruise on Carnival and most of them were retired couples from Fla.
I think the whole thing will be moot in a year or so anyone. It is my opinion that the Select Dining will almost force Celebrity to go to a smart casual dress code every night as they have on Azamara. I give it a year...

By the way, here is an announcement on Select Dining....

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cr...ty-select.html
Old August 27th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Captain

Was kinda hoping we could get back on track to the OP question...rather than digressing over the past or personal feelings of what we feel is the letter of the law, etc.

So...Shalyn! Your cruise is coming up in just a couple of days. I hope you were able to find some other informatin regarding ladies choice in "Smart Casual and Above"...but if you were not, try reading over these informational blurbs. Have a great cruise!

http://www.cruisevacation.net/articles/what-wear.html

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...1123228AAGIBN4

http://cruiseislandtravel.suite101.c...or_your_cruise

http://www.cruise-links.com/PackingLists.htm
Old September 6th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Beginner

If there's a dress code policy, it should be imposed .What's the use of having a dress code if you allow them to wear improper dress on that particular event. Why have them if you don't have intentions in forcing them? There are signs and guards to imposed the rules. And the best persons to start it...are the employees .Dress code promotes formality and discipline to the whole crew.
Old September 6th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Admiral

Default PROMOTING

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmoquin
If there's a dress code policy, it should be imposed .What's the use of having a dress code if you allow them to wear improper dress on that particular event. Why have them if you don't have intentions in forcing them? There are signs and guards to imposed the rules. And the best persons to start it...are the employees .Dress code promotes formality and discipline to the whole crew.
YOU FORGOT....it also promotes respect of the ship and fellow passengers.. The next time I see a pair of dungarees or t-shirt in the dining room IN THE EVENING.. I will definetly make a complaint.
Old September 7th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Passenger

If there is a dress code on a ship and don't see any problem enforcing it. The cruise lines don't worry about our feelings or our good will when they are searching us (for a second time) after a port visit and swiftly carting our alcohol purchases off to storage.

For those who prefer more casual dress, even on formal nights, there's always the buffet.
Old September 7th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormKat
If there is a dress code on a ship and don't see any problem enforcing it. The cruise lines don't worry about our feelings or our good will when they are searching us (for a second time) after a port visit and swiftly carting our alcohol purchases off to storage.

For those who prefer more casual dress, even on formal nights, there's always the buffet.
Celebrity does not have a buffet on any of their ships for dinner....

Don
Old September 7th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Captain

Most of the time they do not, but on our Caribbean cruise last year they offered two buffets, when the ship was in port until late.

There's the pasta bar and salad buffet...and the sushi bar, but that's it for the evening dining (that's anywhere close to buffet).
Old September 7th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton
Most of the time they do not, but on our Caribbean cruise last year they offered two buffets, when the ship was in port until late.

There's the pasta bar and salad buffet...and the sushi bar, but that's it for the evening dining (that's anywhere close to buffet).
They will have them occasionally for special situations. Point I was making is that Celebrity has never had a dinner buffet on any of their ships on a nightly basis as you would get for lunch or breakfast. A lot of people expect this when they go on a Celebrity cruise and find out it is not the case...

Don
Old September 7th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Admiral

big apple,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
First, let me say that I agree completely with Don's comment about there being no point to having rules that you are not going to enforce.

In fact, unenforced rules have three (3) serious adverse conseequences.

>> 1. Unenforced rules breed the ire of passengers who comply even though their preference might be otherwise, then see others get away with not complying.

>> 2. Unenforced rules breed the attitude that the rules don't matter because the authorities won't enforce them anyway. This leads to complete disregard for all rules and personnel in authority, and it could be the difference between life and death -- not only of those who disobey, but of innocent third parties -- during a real casualty at sea.

>> 3. Unenforced rules could lead to tort claims of false advertising and consequent civil liability, even in a major "class action" case.

With regard to the third point, consider passengers who choose Celebrity because the dress code for "formal" evenings, as published on Celebrity's web site, indicates that it really is a true "formal" evening and they want to teach their children what to do on a true "formal" evening. When they get on the cruise, they come to the dining room dressed properly and find the other passengers at their table dressed in "T" shirts and jeans. The ambiance of the "formal" evening is killed immediately, and the lesson for the children is lost. They sue. How high could the punitive damages go? I suspect that a refund of the cruise fare, associated costs of transportation including lodging and meals en route, plus three times that in punitive damages, probably would be on the low side of the award if they got a competent lawyer.

Norm.
Old September 7th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Admiral

Don,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Point I was making is that Celebrity has never had a dinner buffet on any of their ships on a nightly basis as you would get for lunch or breakfast. A lot of people expect this when they go on a Celebrity cruise and find out it is not the case...
Well, shame on those people for not doing their homework before booking a cruise! That's sort of like expecting a Radisson hotel to be exactly like a Days Inn.

Norm.
Old September 8th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Admiral

To the OP, dresses, sundresses, skirts, pants capris, you'll be just fine.

Not only does Celebrity not enforce it's dress code, it doesn't seem to be able to make up it's mind what it is. One section of the website says no jeans, the actually dress code and documents doesn't mention them. Annoying!!!

As for not doing one's homework, I'm not sure I agree with that. Not everyone has access to the Net. If they've cruised before on any mass market line, you expect a buffet, it's just part of the cruise. No one really goes around asking if the ship they're sailing on has a pool, it's just expected. And I bet most TAs when asked would say yes, there is a buffet.
Old September 8th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am leading a small group on the Connie in November and the ladies have pretty much agreed smart causal will consist of Capri's and skirts assessorizing the blouse as occasions arise..

The men have decided slacks and polo shirts... occasionally a jacket.
I do button bown white shirts.. easy to care for easy to pack add a tie and i have a suit..
Old September 8th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Admiral

Default APPROPRIATE DRESS

OKAY EVERYBODY...ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!!!! This subject has been "talked" about to death.. Lets just let the subject drop...it's a new world in the cruising industry.. If your not happy about the dress code..GO TO THE CUNARD LINE!!!!!! Go back to the OP and I think she has had her answer...gezz
Old September 9th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Captain

Default Back to the question

Trackypup and Joey & David, thanks for your input, it's insightful and I'm sure it's well-taken.

On another subject...Rather than one-upping and picking apart each other's posts, could we please stick to the OP's question?

I know there are many cruise-educated passengers on this board and the information we have is amazing...but please, stop arguing. If you're trying to prove a point, "PM" each other.

Old September 13th, 2009, 03:40 AM
Passenger

Default Thanks Triton...

Thanks for posting the "packing lists" links... I was just about to go online and look for them.

Two weeks from now we should be sailing by your house in SF, as we head south! Woo Hoo!

Time to think about packing... I promise I will have enough clothes to satisfy the suggested dress codes, .

See you soon!!
Old September 14th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Captain

Seafun! Yes next week we board...It will be fun to sail past San Francisco (Boss? Are you watching?) .

There are some great packing tips from many vetran cruisers...check out the threads over here:

http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=47