Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 23rd, 2009, 05:54 PM
Beginner

Default Celebrity Airfare Debacle

In June I booked the Celebrity Century sailing on July 8th to the Arctic Circle and North Cape. The cruise came with airfare to JFK. Due to my husband's disability, I booked an extra seat. The cost of this seat was $1,117. Celebrity sent me the cruise documents - one for me and the other for my husband. When I questioned the travel agent regarding the extra seat, I was told not to worry, everything was in the system.
When I arrived at JFK, I handed the agent the tickets and we were handed 2 boarding passes. I figured all would be well since “everything was in the system".
Our time at sea was wonderful! The nightmare began as soon as we hit the airport to return home. The KLM airline agent told me that she could see in her system that we had reserved three seats, but could not corroborate that the third seat had actually been purchased. We were literally forced to purchase another ticket.
When I returned home I called Celebrity and imagined all would be resolved quickly. Much to my surprise I was rudely and arrogantly treated. I wrote to Mr. Hanrahan, the CEO of Celebrity Cruises, and found the top of the tree to be as arrogant as the bottom.
I also wrote to the president of KLM and there I was treated in a much better fashion.
To quote from "Northwest Customer Care: "According to the check-in agent in Amsterdam, they found the reservation for the extra seat...However, although they checked in both systems, they could not find a ticket issued for the extra seat. Our records also verify that your reservation booked by Celebrity Cruises had only two ticket numbers associated with it...To continue, the KLM staff then called Northwest in the U.S., who, in turn, called Celebrity Cruises for the ticket number in question. Celebrity Cruises was unable to provide a ticket number for the extra seat...In conclusion, all of the information you have provided, our records, and the KLM investigation concur that while Celebrity Cruises booked and charged you $1117.67 for an extra seat, they, in fact, never actually issued a ticket for this extra seat."
Would you believe that even after I sent this document to Mr. Hanrahan, CEO of Celebrity Cruises, they will still not issue me a refund? They told me to take it up with the airline. They are not remotely interested in resolving my customer experience.
Having unsuccessfully attempted to resolve this issue with them directly, I now feel that my only recourse is to share my true story with others. Needless to say, I cancelled my upcoming trip on the Eclipse, on Oct 4, 2010.
As a Select Member of Celebrity's Captain's Club, I would like you to understand that, although sea service is exceptional, the cruise is the whole experience. Please refund my money.
Jane Sims
Sponsored Links
Old September 24th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

This is a situation your travel agent should be on top of for you. She's YOUR agent, and she should be contacting the people at Celebrity who she does business with to get your problem resolved!
Old September 24th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Captain

Smiseel:

Sharing your true story is important, but it really can only benefit you if you go through the appropriate channels...this is not one of them. Kuki is right, you need to work with your travel agent on the matter of your air, not Celebrity.

Good luck in your resolution.
Old September 26th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Beginner

Thanks for your reply. Actually, the very first thing I did was contact the travel agent, who sent me directly to Celebrity customer service. I spoke to several people there and wrote several letters. I also wrote to KLM. I wrote to the credit card company too. I dealt for 2 months before writing this.
I feel this forum is appropriate because I needed to do something after being so horribly treated. People write about good and bad experiences on these boards. How is this post inapproprite? It was beneath the excellence of service I had come to expect while onboard. It was shocking to be treated in such a manner.
In fact, a very strange thing happened after making this post and several others and cancelling an upcoming Celebrity cruise someone from the corporate office called me, and I will be getting my rightful $1,117 refund. And you know what? That is all I wanted.
Old September 26th, 2009, 02:10 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. Actually, the very first thing I did was contact the travel agent, who sent me directly to Celebrity customer service. I spoke to several people there and wrote several letters. I also wrote to KLM. I wrote to the credit card company too. I dealt for 2 months before writing this.
I feel this forum is appropriate because I needed to do something after being so horribly treated.
It's certainly appropriate to post the problem here.

If you talked to your travel agent and they sent you to Celebrity's Customer Service, to deal with the problem, rather than dealing with it for you, I'd NEVER use that travel agent again!!

It is THEIR JOB to resolve problems that develop for you. Their contacts at the cruise line should be much better positioned with those with some authority to resolve the issue. If they left you hanging with it to deal with, I'd be hanging them out to dry for any of my future business.
Old September 26th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
Quote:
I feel this forum is appropriate because I needed to do something after being so horribly treated.
It's certainly appropriate to post the problem here.

If you talked to your travel agent and they sent you to Celebrity's Customer Service, to deal with the problem, rather than dealing with it for you, I'd NEVER use that travel agent again!!

It is THEIR JOB to resolve problems that develop for you. Their contacts at the cruise line should be much better positioned with those with some authority to resolve the issue. If they left you hanging with it to deal with, I'd be hanging them out to dry for any of my future business.
This should be handled through a TA but one other point should be made and I am making no comment on the OPs complaint by bringing this up. All cruise lines have a disclaimer in which they state that airfare is done as a courtesy to the customers and they assume no responsbility in making air arrangements.

Don
Old September 26th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Don,

I agree with you and that is why I rarely, if ever, book cruise air. However, in this instance Celebrity collected the money for three seats but only booked two. They failed in their basic obligation to "at least" book the seats. That is the minimum requirement they have and they failed.

The OP is more than entitled to a full refund, from Celebrity, and an apology.

I am disheartened that the OP canceled their cruise but I may have done the same if I was in the same situation.

I also concur that the TA also mishandled the situation and the OP should find a new TA.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 27th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
Don,

I agree with you and that is why I rarely, if ever, book cruise air. However, in this instance Celebrity collected the money for three seats but only booked two. They failed in their basic obligation to "at least" book the seats. That is the minimum requirement they have and they failed.

The OP is more than entitled to a full refund, from Celebrity, and an apology.

I am disheartened that the OP canceled their cruise but I may have done the same if I was in the same situation.

I also concur that the TA also mishandled the situation and the OP should find a new TA.

Take care,
Mike
I was aware of the OP receiving her refund prior to the post and therefore posted the disclaimer that I wasn't commenting on her situation. I only wanted to point out something that many people are not aware of, most cruise lines state that air is done as a courtesy.

Don