Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 17th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Admiral

Default CONDE NASTE November 2009 Cruise Ship Survey

TOP TEN CRUISE LINES

MEGA-SHIP LINES

1. Celebrity
2. Disney
3. Cunard
4. Princess
5. Royal Caribbean

LARGE SHIP LINES

1. Crystal
2. Regent Seven Seas
3. Cunard
4. Oceania Cruises
5. Celebrity
Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Admiral

Wonder where the cut-off is between a mega-ship and a large ship is.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old October 18th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel
Wonder where the cut-off is between a mega-ship and a large ship is.

TM
Probably changes every couple of years as the ships get bigger. Who knows what it will be next year with Oasis of the seas out.

Don
Old October 19th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Captain

We'll probably need a new category. How about Humongous ?
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old October 19th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Admiral

Default WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacdenv24
Lets see how the Epic and Oasis do next year Just caught a glimpse of the Conde Naste Editor on the Today show when she showed the Soltice, I did hear her say something about the choice of restaurants... too busy to hear the rest of the segment. For heavens sake there are small little villages in New England that have less people than these ships..lol Maybe they can give us seniors especially Segways to get around.
Old October 19th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Admiral

Default Re: WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom
Quote:
Lets see how the Epic and Oasis do next year Just caught a glimpse of the Conde Naste Editor on the Today show when she showed the Soltice, I did hear her say something about the choice of restaurants... too busy to hear the rest of the segment. For heavens sake there are small little villages in New England that have less people than these ships..lol Maybe they can give us seniors especially Segways to get around.
I'll be seeing Oasis next month while its in FLL. Im on a quick four day cruise on Equinox and Oasis is leaving that day on a one day cruise and then hosting Good Morning America the next day.

Don
Old October 22nd, 2009, 06:07 PM
Captain

Thanks Parrot Mom! Great to see our =X= making both categories (and the only cruise line at that!). I remember a couple years back with she won the large ship category.

Ahhh, isn't it fun "growing up" with Celebrity? Feel like proud parents, lol! Seriously, kudos to =X= again!!!
Old October 22nd, 2009, 07:59 PM
Admiral

Default RETURNING TO CELEBRITY

Going back to a Celebrity ship is as if Im going back to visiit a wonderful friend/relative who is going to welcome me with opn arms and spoil me rotten...and feel as if I'm wanted.. That said Triton... I'm ready to experience the new NCL next month..heard their employees are incredible, will let you know.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 09:50 PM
Captain

Funny, that is what my better half says. The moment we walk on the ship (actually have it on video from our Barcelona transatlantic last Sept)..."I'm home again." That smile is priceless.

Parrot Mom, please post your review (however long or short it is) on our webiste. We have another forum for reviews, which I just added to today as a matter of fact!

Let me or any of us know if you would like assistance. Happy to help!
Old October 23rd, 2009, 05:20 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton
Funny, that is what my better half says. The moment we walk on the ship (actually have it on video from our Barcelona transatlantic last Sept)..."I'm home again." That smile is priceless.
Those comments sure make me want to book a Celebrity cruise soon.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old October 23rd, 2009, 07:54 AM
Admiral

Default STEPPING ABOARD

Manuel... For me..it's like going to visit a beloved friend/relative whose really wants you to visit and can't do enough for you..and greets you with a warm and sincere welcome.... Can hardly wait to go back.
Old October 25th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Captain

While I hate to interrupt this trumpeting of Celebrity cruise lines, please let me add a different view of this so-called bee all and end all survey of cruise ships.

First of all I still remember when this same cruise magazine just a few years ago said that the Celebrity Galaxy was ranked as the eighth best ship in the mass market cruise line category. Now this was in spite of the fact that this particular ship had been sorely neglected for several years. Problems such as stained sinks, furniture carpet and bed spreads were common place. There was a retractable pool roof that had been stuck in place for more than five years and fogged windows in the observation lounge that also were allowed to remain for more than five years.

A poll from last year in Australia with over ten thousand respondents ranked Celebrity as one of the five WORST cruise lines afloat. Any poll can be made what the authors want it to be. Things such as reliability, maintenance, management were obviously not a part of the poll mentioned by the OP. In a Porthole magazine, just last year, Celebrity failed to win any first place votes in over one hundred categories. So, I put very little stock in ANY cruise magazine polls, but if they make a few feel good then I guess what ever floats your boat.

As far as the drooling, by some, about their gushy feelings about Celebrity, let me add my reaction and that of many others about Celebrity. Having sailed on more cruise lines and ships than I can count, on all but one I was always sorry to see the cruise end. The one exception was my last Celebrity cruise, when after all the problems, lies and deception that all passengers on board encountered, I was glad and relieved to see such a poor excuse for a cruise come to a merciful end.

Much to my surprise I was shocked to see how many passengers on that Celebrity cruise felt the same way. It was an unbelievable sense of complete relief as I disembarked. Many elite Celebrity cruisers personally told me that treatment like that was totally unacceptable and they would never sail Celebrity again.

Just a different experience and opinion that many people also share and that is what these boards are for.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old October 25th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Much to my surprise I was shocked to see how many passengers on that Celebrity cruise felt the same way.
You should have done a survey and published it

Sorry.. but I do hear this WAY TOO MUCH. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but referring to "all those" who felt the same way doesn't lend any extra weight to the opinion, unless "they" are posting to state their opinions as well. Otherwise, IMHO it produces the opposite of its intent.

Though certainly not the "final, definitive say" Conde Naste is a long running, and well respected industry publication. It does cater to a well travelled readership, and it's "slant" of the industry leads me to believe a fairly well-heeled clientele as well. And with that... it's survey's generally produce a result I'm not certain the majority of cruisers would agree with.

A publication like Conde Naste does however take a much broader approach to discussing cruise lines, and reviewing them than basing their entire opinion on one cruise, on one ship from a cruise line... good or bad.

All the cruise lines have their rabid advocates, and their rabid detractors (for many reasons), the truth generally lies somewhere in between those biases.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old October 25th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Admiral

Default WELL HEELED

Gosh..didn't realize I was "well heeled" because I love to read all travel magazines and dream of far and distant exotic places..lol Sadly I can say to many peole.."been there, done that".. and Im not talking about cruising into a port.. Macchu Picchu when it was opened to the pubic.. Cabo San Jose before everything was "se vende" Venezuela, Colombia..Costa Rica. many places not just once, but two or three times for a week... I read and dream because I can...Macchu Pichcu was on Parrot Pops list and the Amazon was on my bucket list.. I'm proud to be a tourist and not ashamed...of reading snobby magazines..and wanting more out of my life and if G-d willing will travel as long as I can and far as I can..dreaming of far locations.. Friend from this board just wrote minutes ago she is off on Holland America to Vietnam and China....how jealous am I....to see the statues...At 74 will go by hook or by crook as long as I can...And I will tell you the positive and the negative.. honestly..not with rose colored glasses..Many cruisers on this and other boards have helped me and I reach across the world and the country to "pass it forward".. that is my aim.. what's wrong with that...Ooops...also flown four times to London...just to see the latest plays for a week..

Oh yes,, would you argue with the new National Georgraphic
Traveler on their list of c ountries/sites ... some well preserved.. some being ruined??
Old October 26th, 2009, 09:00 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to richsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
.... Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but referring to "all those" who felt the same way doesn't lend any extra weight to the opinion, unless "they" are posting to state their opinions as well. Otherwise, IMHO it produces the opposite of its intent.

Though certainly not the "final, definitive say" Conde Naste is a long running, and well respected industry publication. It does cater to a well travelled readership, and it's "slant" of the industry leads me to believe a fairly well-heeled clientele as well. And with that... it's survey's generally produce a result I'm not certain the majority of cruisers would agree with.

A publication like Conde Naste does however take a much broader approach to discussing cruise lines, and reviewing them than basing their entire opinion on one cruise, on one ship from a cruise line... good or bad.

All the cruise lines have their rabid advocates, and their rabid detractors (for many reasons), the truth generally lies somewhere in between those biases.
Spot on, Kuki!! Personally, I canceled my subscription to Conde Naste because I got tired of wading through the advertisements for products that I can't afford, in order to find the articles. But I do agree that they have a reputation for unbiased reporting, & their survey results are comprehensive.

As for your last statement regarding rabid advocates & rabid detractors, I couldn't agree more. It gets tiring seeing the same old "I'm just trying to impart information" from those on both sides, when most know by their posting history, that they have an agenda, & thus diminish their message by beating a dead horse over & over again.
Old October 26th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Admiral

Default ADVERTSING/AGENDA

I am sure that Kuki will agree with me that..."I canceled my subscription to Conde Naste because I got tired of wading through the advertisements for products that I can't afford"_ Advertising is what pays the bills for magazines, newspapers and even this board. Yes, Conde Naste is a slick magazine and appeals to an upscale population but it's advertisers know that..and that is why they advertise in that paticular magazine.. As for having an agenda..I in particular don't.. I originally reported on our first Princess cruise (the good and the bad) and I have been personally attacked... for my opinion and comparing it to our Celebrity experiences.. there are some people who WILL NOT LET IT DROP.. I personally posted the survey for information..Now, there is another cruise survey that I noticed on another board.. Not trying to play tit for tat... that's all I did was post what was on a particular page of Conde Naste...period.gezz..lets EVERYBODY lighten up.. and Kuki, my wish for this board is for more and more advertising...
Old October 26th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Captain

I agree Parrot Mom-let's chill out! Surveys, of anything, are just that. Asking a certain group of people their opinion on whatever. It makes for interesting reading but certainly shouldn't be taken as written in stone! As far as people having an agenda, that always happens when you have this type of forum. It sure gets tiresome but there is so much other HELPFUL info to be found it's just easier to ignore the ranting. I don't even read certain posters any more.

Life is short...enjoy and cruise your a*s off! Mmm..that'll probably get deleted
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old October 26th, 2009, 10:38 AM
First Mate

Default Re: ADVERTSING/AGENDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom
I am sure that Kuki will agree with me that..."I canceled my subscription to Conde Naste because I got tired of wading through the advertisements for products that I can't afford"_ Advertising is what pays the bills for magazines, newspapers and even this board. Yes, Conde Naste is a slick magazine and appeals to an upscale population but it's advertisers know that..and that is why they advertise in that paticular magazine.. As for having an agenda..I in particular don't.. I originally reported on our first Princess cruise (the good and the bad) and I have been personally attacked... for my opinion and comparing it to our Celebrity experiences.. there are some people who WILL NOT LET IT DROP.. I personally posted the survey for information..Now, there is another cruise survey that I noticed on another board.. Not trying to play tit for tat... that's all I did was post what was on a particular page of Conde Naste...period.gezz..lets EVERYBODY lighten up.. and Kuki, my wish for this board is for more and more advertising...
Hi Parrot Mom! I realize that advertising pays the bills. What I got tired of, was the VOLUME of advertising in Conde Naste. I uses to look in the table of contents, find an artilce on say, page 112, & & have trouble finding it because most of the pages are not numbered because they a either full pages, or a "special advertising section". Other than that,I do think that it's a worthwhile magazine, just not for me.

Also, you'll get no argument form me regardingthe fact that " .. there are some people who WILL NOT LET IT DROP.."
Old October 26th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Admiral

Default ADVERTISING

THAT my friend is why Gourmet, Bride and many other magazines have shut the door...also Pulitizer prize winning newspapers are having to cut staff to the bone or sell the presses. It also seems that some magazines have quietly closed and I'm getting some magazines that are being replaced. Lots of advertising means they are successful..no advertising...they can't survive.
Old October 26th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Captain

It's funny how one person's personal experience on one particular ship of one particular cruiseline sours even a poll of a leading travel magazine. Now my advice would be for YOU to pick up your phone and call Conde Naste and have it out with their legal department and Chief Editor, for their untruths, which is basically what you are alluding to. Perhaps you too, can run an article based upon your one experience many years ago, and negate the thousands of pollers who appreciate fine travel.

The attacks are old and tired.

Interestingly, I have cruised three different lines. I am in the travel and hospitality industry. My one experience on Princess (your fav I believe) was hell. There were mechanical problems twice. The service and food were awful. The price I paid for a suite, considering the value of the service, ammenities and shipboard venues was a shame. In short, a real eye-opener for us. Looks like you and I had the same experience - yet I don't make a point of ruining other's good feelings or times on their one cruiseline, especially under the guise of, "This is information to HELP others seeking answers." Please....

Another interesting factor is despite my one, and yes, subjective experience on Princess, I do not jump into the Princess forum and bad-mouth the love of that cruiseline - or anyone elses.

Times like this, I remember that wise counsel from one of the oldest Walt Disney movies around, Bambi: "If you can't say anything nice, don't say it at all."

Give it a rest already. It's a SURVEY. I am sure "Budget Travel" or heck, the Costco travel department would have their own survey as well. I guess I don't understand the bullies who stomp through the playground and take away someone's happiness, insisting that they are wrong for their own opinion and thought.
Old October 26th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Captain

Triton,

You are right that the Conde Nast is just one survey out of many and means no more than another survey, which may put Celebrity close to the bottom of the mainstream cruise lines. IMHO, ALL of these magazine surveys, such as this one, are just the same people parroting back the same thing year after year. As I said that is just my opinion and any other take is just pure spin.

I certainly agree with "giving it a rest", as you probably know, I did not start this thread nor did I feel an overpowering need to post it on the Princess board. As far as the attacks getting old and tired on that point, I certainly could not agree with you more.

Debra

Winston Churchill

Old October 26th, 2009, 02:24 PM
First Mate

Hi Triton! I know that this is totally OT, but you might want to give Princess another chance. We tried Princess a few years ago after many, many cruises on Celebrity, (our favorite cruise line), & found that there are more similarities than differences between the two. Are there differences, you bet, but we had a great cruise on Princess, & have since taken another Princess cruise, with the same results as our first. I;m sure we will try Princess again in the future, even though Celebrity remains our line of choice.

Nurse Debra, I think you need to look in the mirror.
Old October 27th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Captain

Good grief! The OP Parrot Mom simply posted the survey as a point of interest and it initiated a lively and informative thread-until "you-know-who" jumped in. IMO, the best way to handle these Celebrity bashing posts is simply ignore them. It seems that responding just fuels the fire. That said, I will now try to follow my own advice

Back on topic, are there any U.S. magazines that deal with cruising in particular rather than travel in general? Can't seem to find any up here in the frozen north!
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old October 27th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Admiral

Default THA\NK YOU/INFO

Thank you for coming to my defense... Afraid to list the top 133 Destinations rated by National Geograhic Traveler... (1. is Norway Fjords region, 2, B.C. Kootenay/Nat. Park and 3. is Quebec Gape Pennisula).. Now as for the cruise magazines..I think there is one called Port Hole, but I have probably just seen it once.. the one that seems to be the most popular is
Cruise-Travel. I'm looking at that page which lists their web site and it's www.cruisetravelmag.com. I've tried to keep almost all my back copies but now have it down to a year or so.. They usually feature:
Ship of the Month
New Ship Review
Port of the Month
]Cruise o the Month

Of interest are the Letters to the Editor.. cruise schedues and guides..and yes there are ads..lol
Old October 27th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsea
Hi Triton! I know that this is totally OT, but you might want to give Princess another chance. We tried Princess a few years ago after many, many cruises on Celebrity, (our favorite cruise line), & found that there are more similarities than differences between the two. Are there differences, you bet, but we had a great cruise on Princess, & have since taken another Princess cruise, with the same results as our first. I;m sure we will try Princess again in the future, even though Celebrity remains our line of choice.

Nurse Debra, I think you need to look in the mirror.
Amen...

Don
Old October 27th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Captain

Quote:
Good grief! The OP Parrot Mom simply posted the survey as a point of interest and it initiated a lively and informative thread-until "you-know-who" jumped in. IMO, the best way to handle these Celebrity bashing posts is simply ignore them. It seems that responding just fuels the fire. That said, I will now try to follow my own advice

Back on topic, are there any U.S. magazines that deal with cruising in particular rather than travel in general? Can't seem to find any up here in the frozen north!
Since again I seem to be the target of the same band of posters, let me say that I understand your point but could also point out that Parrot lady also posted this very same pole on at least two other threads. I never hear any complaints about protecting or the blatant promoting of a particular cruise line by a small band of posters, but sure have taken a lot of grief about informing new cruisers about a problem that could have a serious impact on ALL passengers on three Celebrity ships. Knowledge is power but a few just don't seem to agree. Serious information is one thing but petty complaints and promoting any particular cruise line is for me of no interest. There is a big difference from "bashing" a cruise line and pointing a possible problem that every cruiser has a right to at least be aware of.

The following quote by parrot lady is just one example of what is undeniable cruise line bashing "I found the die hard Princess cruisers completely obnoxious and self important. It's a Carnival for senior citizens and for people who want to feel self-important”. All this knowledge about all Princess ships and all Princess cruisers after just one cruise on Princess. Amazing!!!!!

A little common courtesy here would certainly go a long way.

You also are probably on to something as to why those who don't like my posts can not just ignore them or even refute them if they ever had any factual contrary information, but alas they never do. Instead these few feel the need to shoot the messenger. Readers can decide for themselves why that is so.

As for the topic; this is just one pole of many and while these polls can be fun to read none of them have any real meaning to me, since I have cruised on more than 30 cruise ships, what is important to me is to know that I am sailing on a reliable ship that is going to offer good value for the money spent and nothing more. No cruise line poll, good or bad, can change that.

Debra

Winston Churchill

Old October 27th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Admiral

Giving an opinion is not a problem and opposing opinions are always welcome. Difficulty arises when the same complaint is heard over and over again on topics which have nothing to do with this complaint. We are quite frankly tired of it. If I ask how the pizza is on the ship I don't care to know about the pod problem unless they have one in the pizza oven which I highly doubt. This is why certain people have been thrown off the "other" board numerous times under numerous names and come on this board trying to hide behind the mantra of giving the truth and playing the innocent...

I mention no names, only giving the facts....

Don
Old October 27th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Captain

Thanks Parrot Mom-I went to that site and it looks like a great magazine. Checked out the subscription rates-23.95 for 6 issues in the States and would you believe $50 in Canada!? more than double and our dollar is strong? Gotta love this country. That's one of the reasons we maintain a U.S. bank account and always pay for our cruises in U.S.funds-if we had to pay in Canadian we could only afford to cruise half as much. But that's yet another topic.
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old October 27th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Admiral

Default BACK STORIES

One problem is that I can't find a place to download some of their back issues...
Old October 27th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Captain

Default National Geo

Parrot Mom, I read that National Geo too...great reading on our way home from the Panama cruise on =X=...lots of information too.

I finally parted with it today, to leave in the break room for other lovers of travel. It's great that we have many sources to pull from. My favorite thing to do at the airport before our flight to Celebrity is to stock up on all the travel mags. Nothing like reading them while on a cruise...and they're much-needed when we get off.