Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 24th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Passenger

Default First time Cruising Celebrity Mercury Nov 30

I was not really thinking about cruising but my girlfriend finally talked me into it. There was also a great deal for MD residence at $499 for 12 nights. Don't know much about cruises but i do know that is a great deal.
But there is a problem. That room is a "guarantee inside room". After looking at the layout of the ship, there doesn't seem like there really is a horrible inside room. But i could be wrong, after reading this site for the past 1.5 hours i think i might be really wrong with noise and smell issues.

What do you guys think i should expect? Anyway to get a better room by arriving early or do a early check-in?

What to bring?
For the cruise, what should i bring? Do i need toothpaste or a comb? I was told i can bring two bottles of wine, i think i may do that. Is there a chiller in the room?

What to expect?
I am fairly young at the age of 27, i love modern things, gadgetry and modern vehicles (planes, trains, bosts). I guess its the engineering background . The ship is fairly old (1997) but was recently renovated i read. If it isn't nice, is the food at least good?

Its really hard to ask questions now because my mind is so overwhelmed with it. I will be back with more.
A good review of this ship after renovation would be great also.

Most articles i read about mercury is on the west coast. why is it here in the east coast?
Oh what are the cat # for? Doesn't all the inside and ocean view cabin have the same sq ft and amenities?
Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2009, 02:44 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

The food will be very good, and for $499 for 12 nights, you'll no doubt eat more than that in food, so the rest will be a bonus

The reports I've seen on the Mercury since the refurb have been very good. If you're concerned about booking a minimum category guarantee you might want to purchase a higher category guarantee.

12 night cruises wil generally draw an older demographic, so that's the only thing out of the ordinary that you should expect.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old October 25th, 2009, 04:22 AM
Admiral

I think that you will enjoy the Mercury.

We have sailed on Mercury three times and the food and service were outstanding.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old October 25th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Passenger

Thanks for the replies.
The consensus for great service have been very great. I also read that the staff on the boat acts more like a family because they have been there for many years. This is pretty good news.

I really wish they had new boats coming out of MD, NJ or NY. The eclipse looks so nice, even the interior rooms are 185sq ft!!
Old October 25th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Admiral

Default Re: First time Cruising Celebrity Mercury Nov 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy514
I was not really thinking about cruising but my girlfriend finally talked me into it. There was also a great deal for MD residence at $499 for 12 nights. Don't know much about cruises but i do know that is a great deal.
But there is a problem. That room is a "guarantee inside room". After looking at the layout of the ship, there doesn't seem like there really is a horrible inside room. But i could be wrong, after reading this site for the past 1.5 hours i think i might be really wrong with noise and smell issues.

What do you guys think i should expect? Anyway to get a better room by arriving early or do a early check-in?

What to bring?
For the cruise, what should i bring? Do i need toothpaste or a comb? I was told i can bring two bottles of wine, i think i may do that. Is there a chiller in the room?

What to expect?
I am fairly young at the age of 27, i love modern things, gadgetry and modern vehicles (planes, trains, bosts). I guess its the engineering background . The ship is fairly old (1997) but was recently renovated i read. If it isn't nice, is the food at least good?

Its really hard to ask questions now because my mind is so overwhelmed with it. I will be back with more.

Most articles i read about mercury is on the west coast. why is it here in the east coast?
Oh what are the cat # for? Doesn't all the inside and ocean view cabin have the same sq ft and amenities?
You will need toothpaste and a toothbrush. You will not need shampoo, soap, beach towels, etc. I would suggest you check Celebrity's web site and dress codes. You will have three formal nights on your 12 day cruise.

Also, do the on line check and look at everything available on there. You can do dinner reservations and shore excursions on line so check that out.

Also, the sq. footage on the cabins are pretty much the same. he difference in price is usually due to the level on the ship. Higer levels are higher cost. Of course Suites and Concierge cabins will have different amenities.

Don
Old October 25th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Admiral

Default Re: First time Cruising Celebrity Mercury Nov 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy514

What to bring?

What to expect?

You will need toothpaste and a toothbrush. You will not need shampoo, soap, beach towels, etc. I would suggest you check Celebrity's web site and dress codes. You will have three formal nights on your 12 day cruise.

Also, do the on line check and look at everything available on there. You can do dinner reservations and shore excursions on line so check that out.

Also, the sq. footage on the cabins are pretty much the same. he difference in price is usually due to the level on the ship. Higer levels are higher cost. Of course Suites and Concierge cabins will have different amenities.

Don