Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 9th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Captain

Default =X= GTS Infinity Review (TransCanal Crossing)

I was reminded to post this review of our recent Panama cruise, after reading Sid1962's review.

Any feedback or questions welcome!

Happy Sailing-

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...infinity51.cfm
Sponsored Links
Old November 9th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Admiral

Triton, that was a well written , professional review.

I feel about Celebrity the same way tou do.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13

Booked Vision of the Seas . 2/14/2015

Booked Allure of the Seas... 2/21/16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Old November 9th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Admiral

Very nice review.

Caribbean Trip Reports
Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014, MSC Divina Oct 2014
Old November 9th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Familiar Face

Triton, Great review. I can't believe all they did for you because of your table mix up. WOW.

Was Ruby your Maitre'D? We had Ruby on Infinity back in 2004 - I wonder if it's the same Ruby?
Old November 9th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Captain

Yes she was!!! Amazing. In the past, we sometimes felt like the Maitre'd came by only because they are receiving a gratuity, and are just "keeping up". With Ruby, she was really nice, truly curious about our day and always went out of her way to make us feel welcome and comfortable. She was always very professional and hospitable.

Ruby was blond with glasses, maybe 5'3". I want to say she was from South Africa. Very sweet.

Another thing I realized on this cruise (unlike my last cruise to the Amazon), most every employee with guest contact always asks, "So how is your cruise so far?" Everyone...that is great service. Never had an officer, stateroom attendant, waiter or otherwise ask me and my other half on other lines.
Old November 9th, 2009, 07:23 PM
First Mate

Triton,

Let me also compliment you on your review. Since I agree with pretty much everything you said, I guess I'll just say "What Triton said" in my review and let it go at that ! !!!!...and I am just joshing as usual....

I agree that the staff did go out of their way to ask how the cruise was going so far. We actually had the Director of Hotel Operations (I think that is her title) twice come by when we were on the pool deck and spend about 5 or 6 minutes with us, asking if all was well.

We went to the Rendezvous Lounge pretty much every day, usually around 5:30 or thereabouts. Almost every day, a gentleman from Jamaica, who I am guessing was a manager there, would stop by, ask us how our day went, what we did, what we were going to do that evening. He was such a nice person, always smiling.

Our Assistant Maître’d also came by quite a few times, and spent sometimes 10 minutes or so with us, asking how things were going, offering suggestions about ports, and doing more than anyone in a similar position on previous cruises ever did. I believe he was from a Balkan country. We were second seating, lower level, port side. Of course I can't recall his name, but believe it or not, our waiter's name was Rambo.

The personnel who worked at the SS United States also worked the AquaSpa during the day. Since we went to the AquaSpa twice (would have been 3 times had I not gotten too much sun with not enough liquid in Acapulco, and so we had to cancel - it was complimentary so we weren't charged), we got to know them as well and they too would stop and chat while we were having breakfast or lunch.

With the exception of the haughtiness of the one person in the Alternate Dining venue, we found the staff to be exceptionally friendly and provided a high level of service.

Oh, one more thing.

After a few nights at the MDR, we asked our waiter if he had any openings at his tables at the early seating. We had decided that we just didn't like eating that late. Mind you, the decision to have the second seating was made by us consciously, because that's the way we had always done it. So it was in no way a complaint, but rather sort of a wish. Had there been openings, we would have switched, but there were not, and so we stayed.

A day or so after we asked, I received a call from Guest Services asking if we had resolved our dining time issue, and if there was anything they might be able to do. Well, we were astonished! I explained the situation to the representative, telling her that it was not an issue; that we had purposely booked second seating, and realized during the voyage we really should have booked early seating. We didn't want to go to any other tables, as that would not have been fair to our new waiter. i told her we were fine with things the wat they were, and next time out would book early seating.

My purpose in sharing this is that it is yet another example, we think, of an enhanced level of customer service. Now whether this had anything to do with our being in a suite (we were upgraded at the pier, much to our surprise), we don't know, but I would like to think not.

Anyway, I've rambled on for much too long...bottom line: we do think the staff was exceptionally courteous and mindful of the time we were having.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old November 10th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Familiar Face

[quote="Triton"]Ruby was blond with glasses, maybe 5'3". I want to say she was from South Africa. Very sweet./quote]

Yes, that is her!! WOW, she's still on Infinity. That's amazing. Usually they change around.

She was wonderful. We were on the 7 night Eastern Caribbean and chocolate chiffon pie was not on the menu for the 7 night cruise and we also missed the key lime pie at lunch one day. So one evening at dinner our table received an entire chocolate chiffon pie and an entirre key lime pie.

I'm not sure if that can happen now since they have really tightened the purse strings when it comes to the kitchen and the MDR. But Ruby took very good care of us that week.
Old November 11th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Familiar Face

Default Your Panama Canal Cruise revciew

Hi Triton, maybe you remember - we took Infinity back from Ft Lauderdale to San Diego on Oct-11
You wrote a great review, couldn't agree more!
we have had no problems at all.
I felt one evening that the soup could have been warmer for my taste, but that happens at home too!
Repairs and maintenance: I totally agree with you there! IMHO it's probably the same people who put their filthy shoes up on the sofa and afterwords complain about maintenance.
Reserving Loungers - we always found two loungers by the main pool and we never got there before 10.30am but only because we love the sun, in the shade, that wouldn't have been possible. Though half the loungers seemed to be used as storage places for books and shoes only. We observed two canadian guys who really topped it: they had two loungers in the shady area and two loungers in the sun, right by the pool. They would spent the entire day in the shade (couldn't risk to damage their "fair"skin) and used the loungers in the sunny spot for not more then 15 minutes a day. I would recommend them for the "Nobel price for consideration", .
Can't wait until our next cruis ein February. By the way, did you meet with Mike and Philippe in San Francisco?

happysailing
Old November 16th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Captain

Hi Happy Sailing! No we didn't meet Mike and Phillpe from SF, were they on our Panama cruise?

, I agree about the Nobel prize for "consideration". It really takes all kinds, doesn't it? So glad to hear you are enjoying your Celebrity cruises!