CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Celebrity (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/celebrity/)
-   -   denied boarding on cruise - Celebrity Mercury (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/celebrity/369737-denied-boarding-cruise-celebrity-mercury.html)

niceguy514 November 30th, 2009 10:25 PM

denied boarding on cruise - Celebrity Mercury

After the long wait, me and companion were both denied boarding on the celebrity mercury due to health reason.
This happened because they gave us health forms and i checked off yes to both of the questions because we both had some of the symptoms from eating bad pizza on Saturday. I didn't think much of it and answered it honestly and it got me nothing but a waste of traveling time from NYC to Baltimore. This is the weekend after thanksgiving you think that some of us would throw up or have diarrhea.
The chat with the nurse showed that we both had normal body temp and we showed him that we were in good health

Since we were denied this cruise are we entitled to a full refund?

Worse part about it is that they couldn't find our luggage and said they would ship it from st thomas, in 2 weeks. Luckily my girlfriend finally broke and showed a little hostility. I bet if i acted like a non-understanding person we would be on that cruise now.

Sorry for the rant, i just never thought it could lead to this. ANy advise would be appreciated.

beenie weenie November 30th, 2009 11:40 PM

Well you know this is the second time I have heard of something like this recently. Of course you can always write a letter and ask to sail again at a later date for what you paid, but unfortunately the cruise line is under no obligation to do so. Did you by chance purchase travel insurance? One would think that if you were denied boarding due to a health related issue Travel insurance would reimburse your expenses. If you did buy trip insurance, most of the companies want to be informed as soon as you have incurred a loss.

I am sorry your trip was ruined, and hope you can find a way to salvage the money you spent. But if nothing else, it was nice that you took the time to post so people can see the value of trip insurance, and that it is a worthwhile investment that can help you recoup what would otherwise be lost.

I hope you will prevail!

niceguy514 December 1st, 2009 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beenie weenie (Post 1260565)
Well you know this is the second time I have heard of something like this recently. Of course you can always write a letter and ask to sail again at a later date for what you paid, but unfortunately the cruise line is under no obligation to do so. Did you by chance purchase travel insurance? One would think that if you were denied boarding due to a health related issue Travel insurance would reimburse your expenses. If you did buy trip insurance, most of the companies want to be informed as soon as you have incurred a loss.

I am sorry your trip was ruined, and hope you can find a way to salvage the money you spent. But if nothing else, it was nice that you took the time to post so people can see the value of trip insurance, and that it is a worthwhile investment that can help you recoup what would otherwise be lost.

I hope you will prevail!

unfortunately i did not get the travel insurance because I was already for the trip. It was less then a month before we had to sail when i booked.
I don't understand how can a unqualified nurse be able to make a decision like that. if temperature reading was normal we should of been let on. I understand if i had 100.4+ temperature but i did not.

Fieldmouse December 1st, 2009 10:35 AM

[QUOTE=niceguy514;1260588]unfortunately i did not get the travel insurance because I was already for the trip. It was less then a month before we had to sail when i booked.

We booked a cruise through AAA. We purchased the cruise on November 13th and we sail Dec 11th. Even though this was a last minute cruise booking..28 days till sailing, we were able to purchase travel insurance. After reading your post I'm sure glad we did!!!!

niceguy514 December 1st, 2009 10:49 AM

[QUOTE=Fieldmouse;1260621]
Quote:

Originally Posted by niceguy514 (Post 1260588)
unfortunately i did not get the travel insurance because I was already for the trip. It was less then a month before we had to sail when i booked.

We booked a cruise through AAA. We purchased the cruise on November 13th and we sail Dec 11th. Even though this was a last minute cruise booking..28 days till sailing, we were able to purchase travel insurance. After reading your post I'm sure glad we did!!!!

The nurse said i will most likely get a full refund but now it seems like i am screwed from reading about past experiences like mine though out the web. I am just hoping the people who did get a refund are the people who did not post.

longboysfan December 1st, 2009 03:24 PM

Next time be careful on what you reply.
They are being careful with any sickness or precieved sickness that could get on the ship.

Fieldmouse December 1st, 2009 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longboysfan (Post 1260661)
Next time be careful on what you reply.
They are being careful with any sickness or precieved sickness that could get on the ship.

Sometimes we just volunteer too much information...:mrgreen:

But considering what is going on they can't be too careful...anyone else read
The Hot Zone by Richard Preston? Makes you appreciate any precautions they (Cruise lines, Airlines, etc.) take.

niceguy514 December 1st, 2009 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fieldmouse (Post 1260666)
Sometimes we just volunteer too much information...:mrgreen:

But considering what is going on they can't be too careful...anyone else read
The Hot Zone by Richard Preston? Makes you appreciate any precautions they (Cruise lines, Airlines, etc.) take.

I really did appreciate the precaution. But anyone could of easily lied about it and the whole ship could be in jeopardy.

SHould of treated this like the marijuana in college question.
stupid me.

Fieldmouse December 2nd, 2009 01:47 AM

That was one of the scary things in the book, 'The Hot Zone'...some doctor knowing he was infected with Ebola...boarded an airplane, exposing everyone to this deadly plague.

There was a fairly recent incident on the news of a young man, knowing he was infected with a virus boarded an airplane, NOT caring that he was exposing other people to the same virus.

It's difficult these days to be perfectly balance and fair, because there will always be people who lie and don't care about the welfare of others, thus forcing the 'Powers That Be' to sometimes take extreme measures to protect us, the public. Having said that...I'm going to be very careful what we say when boarding...hahaha LOL

katlady December 2nd, 2009 03:09 AM

In my opinion if you don't use the product (the cruise) then the full amount of your cruise fare should be refunded or a new cruise should be booked free of charge. Travel Insurance or NOT. If the cruise line doesn't have to refund the money or supply a new cruise, when they deny someone from boarding, then what is to stop them from overbooking the ship then denying certain people boarding. Think of the extra money they could make. :o If a product or service is rendered I would feel different in this case you paid the money and receive no product or service. As far as airfare or pre-cruise hotel I don't think you can get the cruise line to cover that. Plus you received the product/service. I also think the cruise line will be more willing to book you a new cruise of same or less value then they would issue you a refund. Good Luck I hope it works out for you. Please let us know.

niceguy514 December 3rd, 2009 11:58 PM

Well the cruise line still has to wait for the cruise to end but is issuing us a credit equal to the amount i paid. I guess this is the best i can ask for.
But after reading the terms and condition, there is no clause about health and denial.
They were stating i was lucky to get anything but they did freeze when i told them i had a doctors note from a walk in clinic.

Should i reject the credit and do a charge back because they did not provide a product and assumed a condition with out a real doctor's examination?

Fieldmouse December 4th, 2009 12:04 PM

Since I've had no previous experience to draw from, I'd check with a lawyer first if you are considering rejecting the credit in hope of a full refund.

niceguy514 December 4th, 2009 07:01 PM

After thinking about it i would rather not throw away this opportunity to go on the equinox:D.

Funds are really tight but i am willing to fly to ft lauderdale for a better cruise. I wasn't too thrilled about mercury in the first place.

Nurse Debra December 4th, 2009 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niceguy514 (Post 1261059)
Well the cruise line still has to wait for the cruise to end but is issuing us a credit equal to the amount i paid. I guess this is the best i can ask for.
But after reading the terms and condition, there is no clause about health and denial.
They were stating i was lucky to get anything but they did freeze when i told them i had a doctors note from a walk in clinic.

Should i reject the credit and do a charge back because they did not provide a product and assumed a condition with out a real doctor's examination?

Hi Niceguy514. Sorry to hear about your experience.
Since you asked, I can offer a couple of suggestions that may be of some value. First and foremost, be sure and get any offer of any type of compensation, from Celebrity, in writing. Things have a way of changing, depending on who you are talking too.

Another option is, if you charged your cruise and/or airline tickets on a credit card you could call your credit card company and register a disputed charge. It is a simple procedure and takes about five minutes. This can even be done for quite a period of time after the cruise ends.

As far as fighting Celebrity with an attorney, unless you are prepared to invest a lot of money for attorney fees that may not be your best option.

If Celebrity really meant it about giving you a cruise on one of their newer ships that may also be a very good option.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do and I hope it all works out for you.

Debra

Fieldmouse December 5th, 2009 12:33 AM

Nurse Debra: You offered Nice Guy some good options. Nice advice!

david30101 December 5th, 2009 12:44 AM

Thats weird. I was never asked any health questions before my cruise.

niceguy514 December 5th, 2009 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nurse Debra (Post 1261178)
Hi Niceguy514. Sorry to hear about your experience.
Since you asked, I can offer a couple of suggestions that may be of some value. First and foremost, be sure and get any offer of any type of compensation, from Celebrity, in writing. Things have a way of changing, depending on who you are talking too.

Another option is, if you charged your cruise and/or airline tickets on a credit card you could call your credit card company and register a disputed charge. It is a simple procedure and takes about five minutes. This can even be done for quite a period of time after the cruise ends.

As far as fighting Celebrity with an attorney, unless you are prepared to invest a lot of money for attorney fees that may not be your best option.

If Celebrity really meant it about giving you a cruise on one of their newer ships that may also be a very good option.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do and I hope it all works out for you.

Debra

Thanks for the advise nurses. They supposly have a problem report associated with my problem and i have a dedicated person to talk too. The problem is i cannot get anything till the cruise ends so you are absolutely right about getting this in writing.

I have already talked to Amex about this and can dispute and the outcome will depend on the terms and conditions (looks favorable for me). Amex advised me to reject any offers if i choose to do this. Will wait till when the boat comes back for more information.

So i guess more updates to come :)

katlady December 5th, 2009 03:41 PM

Sounds like you have a couple ways to go. The full refund with take more work. However, if that is what you want you could fight for that.

Me personally I would have them switch the booking to another cruise like the equinox. Get a reservation number and check to make certain the booking is good. But I love to cruise so the cruise is worth more to me then the money.

I think you will have less of a fight getting a new cruise; because the cruise lines are having trouble filling the ships right now. Getting you on a cruise benefits them more then refunding your money. You will spend more money on the cruise: drinks, shore excursions etc. Plus if you enjoy the cruise you could become a repeat customer and the is what all businesses want.

This is my personal opinion. I have not been in this situation so I can't tell you for sure what is the proper way to go. That is up to you to decide. I'm not a lawyer and I don't know the laws or anything about contract law. I'm a finance major so my opinions are shaped by what I know of how business works. Good Luck I hope it works out of you.:D

Triton December 14th, 2009 07:13 PM

Hey Nice Guy, so sorry to hear about you and yours being denied boarding. I would be devasted to hear that...

I agree with the earlier posting about disputing the charge on your credit card. If you booked through a TA, I would also get them involved.

Safe future travels, and sure hope your next cruise is a great one.

Paul Motter December 15th, 2009 06:50 PM

I am sorry to hear this, too, but darn it - THIS IS WHY WE HAVE ARTICLES IN THIS SITE an a great newsletter. Please read our articles and sign up for our newsletter.

We already warned people what could happen if you sign those health waivers in the affirmative.

I am just glad you got any credit at all. The cruise line could have chosen not to give you anything because it is the passenger's responsibility to have insurance for unforseen illness.

In less harsh economic conditions I'll bet you would have lost that cruise, but as it is, they would rather have you onboard spending money. Best yet, they know it will almost feel like a "free cruise" to you so you spend even more.

jacdenv24 December 17th, 2009 01:38 PM

That's unbelievable that you would be denied boarding! We were on that cruise and there were a lot of sick people. Two ladies at our dinner table came down with "it"-sore throat, cough,headaches. One woman I spoke to said her whole group (13 of them) were all on antibiotics prescribed PRIOR to the cruise. Obviously, they had lied on the health questionnaire. And after reading about your fiasco, you can bet a whole lot more people will now fudge their answers, meaning some REALLY ill people will be allowed to board.

kagemusha December 20th, 2009 10:15 PM

That happened to us with the QE2 some years ago. I answered the questions honestly ie affirmative to the question as to whether anyone had been sick in the past 24 hours or whatever time period specified. My daughter did have a slight fever so we were denied boarding. Cunard sent us home in a car and as far as they were concerned, that was the end of the matter. They washed their hands off us.

We claimed on our insurance so we did not lose out on the cost of the cruise and I asked Cunard to refund me the cost of our journey to the port, which they did.

I thought Cunard would contact us to arrange an alternative holiday but nobody did. Afetr a few days, I called them to ask what they were going to do for us. Since it was the peak summer season, there was almost nothing left that was suitable. They offered us a couple of fly cruises on other Carnival ships (Princess I think) which were no good to us. We had booked a year earlier so the original cruise was at a good price. I had expected that they would offer us an alternative cruise at the same rates but nope, it was the going rate which was much higher.

I was most unimpressed with the way they dealt with us but maybe this is standard for the industry.

Paul Motter December 21st, 2009 01:17 AM

Kagemusha...

I am pretty sure i referred to your case, or a similar one, in an article I wrote last year about people being denied boarding. it does happen and there is no guarantee you will get a refund.

I think most people think that if the cruise line cancels your cruise they owe you the money, but unfortunately (whether they do or not0 it is not their policy to give it to you.

It you get any compensation at all consider yourself lucky.

It appears that the number of "sick" cruises has gone down dramatically in the last few years as far as I can tell. I certainly have heard far less about them recently.

kagemusha December 21st, 2009 06:51 AM

I think you misunderstood me - I was not of the mindset that Cunard owed me money. Rather I expected them to call me to see if they could help me arrange another cruise that summer. Was that too unreasonably high an expectation?

I also kind of hoped that they would offer me an alternative at the same rates as I had paid for the original cruise but I now realise that pigs will have to doing a flypast my window first.

Plus I didn't get any loyalty points even though the cruise was paid for, though not taken.

KingofCool1947 December 21st, 2009 02:05 PM

An unqualified nurse?

Quote:

Originally Posted by niceguy514 (Post 1260588)
I don't understand how can a unqualified nurse be able to make a decision like that. if temperature reading was normal we should of been let on. I understand if i had 100.4+ temperature but i did not.

How do you know the nurse was unqualified?

niceguy514 December 30th, 2009 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingofCool1947 (Post 1263610)
How do you know the nurse was unqualified?

I dunno, maybe a normal body temperature, no cough, no sneezing or running nose for the entire wait.
- Talking and conversing with the celebrity port staff normally.
- A doctor's note from a walkin clinic within 24 hours saying I had no signs of any communicable diseases.
- During my waiting time i did see some people have cold symptoms and jacdenv24 confirmed this. Maybe they should of been moved to the side and examined?
- Still no written statement that I was denied boarding due to medical reason.
- Customer service still has no idea why i was denied and cannot give me a reason

I was hoping that there would be a bit more looking into then sticking a thermometer in my ear and looking over the questionnaire for 10 mins. Some people have spent over 5grand and countless hours for these trips and they deserve a real diagnostic when they are going to loose money.

Well just to give everyone an update. I got a certificate in the mail stating i have an X amount of cruise credit towards a future cruise. It is a really nice piece of paper and looks like a stock certificate.

I went of explorer of the seas from NJ for 9 nights on 12/11 and that was a great trip. The boat was fantastic and i am kinda happy my first cruise wasn't on a old boat. The port of calls wasn't as great as mercury but i had tremendous fun on that boat. I really want to go on Oasis now:p. I won the picasso drawing when i guessed the closest price but was too busy relaxing in the hot tub. Ice skating show was great.
These new celebrity ships aren't cheap!! They are also smaller then explorer for some reason.

Still waiting for your review jacdenv24 and thanks to everyone who replied.
Thanks paul for pointing me to the article i didn't even know about it until you mentioned it. Read over it briefly before boarding explorer.
This time I just ran as fast as i can to the boat after handing them my passport. Dodged the photographers and welcoming group and went straight to the buffet where I would blend in.

Paul Motter December 30th, 2009 11:33 AM

I am glad you got something back from Celebrity (RCI). I think it is just a shame that they deny boarding to people and do not compensate them on the spot. And it really makes you wonder who is making the decision as to whether you are communicable or not.

People can be communicable and have no symptoms. That is why the health form is really a joke, I am sorry to say. At least MSC has thermal sensors so they actually know who has a fever. But by the same token, you can have a fever and be past the communicable stage (however, I agree it makes a lot more sense to bar someone WITH a fever rather than without).

To not let you on with no fever or symptoms is really antithetical to everything they say about the form just being a formality and the final decison being made by a professional. I would like to know what that nurse was thinking when she denied your cruise.

niceguy514 December 30th, 2009 10:56 PM

I really wish they took these forms seriously so people would fill them out honestly. I think 70% of cruisers are honest, educated and understanding so they would fill out these forms accordingly. On the Royal Caribbean medical form it states that this form in no way denies passengers boarding but from what others have reported it is a guaranteed denial.
But this was a learning experience with a chance to go on one of Celebrity's newer ships. ;)

I heard they have a central park on the solstice also.

katlady January 5th, 2010 04:33 PM

Niceguy I'm glad it worked out for you and you enjoyed your cruise. I see it worked how I thought it would they give you a new cruise.;) You enjoyed yourself and spend money on board. Making you want to book Oasis of the seas, thereby making you a happy repeat customer. Increasint the amount of repeat customers for the company, which is making the share holdings happy.:D That sounds like a win-win situation to me. I missed that article Paul I will have to look it up and read it. I don't just come here for the pictures I do like to read the articles too.:wink:

Donna January 5th, 2010 08:45 PM

Great news Niceguy,
So, have you picked out a new cruise yet?