Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2010, 05:23 PM
Admiral

Mermen,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
Lastly, I hope Celebrity finds their way to this board, and especially to the Celebrity forum. Would be interesting to see how they view the barrage of vindictive attacks. You can only turn a deaf ear for so long.
I was not able to make the annual meeting last year, as I was in Colorado for my godson's graduation from the Air Force Academy and commissioning as a Second Lieutenant in the U. S. Air Force.

During a one-on-one convresation before the parent company's annual meeting of stockholders in 2008, however, I asked Dan Hanrahan, the president of Celebrity Cruises, if anybody on his staff monitored the discussion boards on the CruiseMates site. At that time, he assured me that his staff monitors these boards on a daily basis. He said, quite emphatically, that information obtained from these boards (and, I'm sure, from The Other Site as well) is very helpful.

Norm.
Old March 4th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

Norm, congratulations on your godson's achievement, you and the family must be very proud!

A few of us have written to Mr. Hanrahan, Celebrity's CEO, as we too were unable to make the annual meeting.

The lack of disciplinary action is, in my opinion, a fairly bold statement condoning the vindictive actions of this poster...yet other CruiseMates are chastised for not tolerating this blatant negative and alarming behavior? Triton, CruiseMates former moderator was chastised as well I've heard...and another moderator even said he overreacted by resigning. Wow...

We do think the M-class vessels and Celebrity as a whole is a premium cruiseline. Rust and paint come and go, but excellent service is where it's at. Having sailed X, Princess and Carnival, X will always get our vote. Elite status just makes it all the better.

I think we need to look at what really constitutes a "rant". Frankly, I feel this one poster has been "ranting" since she came to the board. What is being done to stop her?
Old March 4th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Admiral

Cool Celebrity premium line/ships

LETS just suppose the ships were people.. most of you would judge the person by the way she/he looks at first glance...not even getting to know the inner person.That's the same I believe with ships.. I don't care if they are boxy or top or bottom heavy.. it's the service, food, ports that are important.. You are judging a book by it's cover..a ship by it's looks..and that is soooo wrong imho. Because somebody is unattractive to you.. you may miss the opportunity to meet an extraordinary person. Frankly,, I wish I could afford to cruise more than twice a year...and cruise by picking a ship that is attractive, etc. etc. but I can't.. so...I will return as long as I am able to afford and physically able to cruise with a line that I in my opinion no matter if the rugs are a little worn, the outside a little rusty (haven't ever seen that) and the art is not to my liking (what does that have to do with the cruising experience) and so far Celebrity whether the new Soltice class (will let you know about our cruise on it) or the older M-class have character and warmth...and most of all the experience of cruising the way it used to be... excellence in service and cruising experience...and this is after having cruised the past year Princess and NCL.. both left much to be desired in excellence.....
Old March 4th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Captain

I did not realize that Triton had resigned as a moderator-what a shame. His comments were always insightful and informative. I hope he continues to post on CMs.
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old March 4th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Admiral

Angry Cruise Ships

Since last night we have been inundated with pictures of the Greek cruise ship hit by rouge waves..The cruise ship was as we N.E. say.. a sweet ship... Many people when I told them that I sailed on that ship turned up their nose and walked away (I kid you not).No,it didn't have three or four specialty restaurants, originally one pool and only two jacuzzis..I'm listening to a report on the rogue wave right now and I'm heart broken.. This ship had a problem one week.. it accidently became grounded off MA.. another time I believe it hit a whale..that's when the Greek owner decided to sell to NCL.. As an entertainer we knew once told us.. the ship was run like the Greek Navy..and was immaculate upstairs and downstairs in the crews quarters.. It reminded me of all the old Ren ships.. small and distinct...90% of y ou on this board would never, ever step foot on this ship..not good enough for you.. You would have judged her on her size and amenities..Would I sail her again.. you bet we would..
Old March 4th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermen View Post

I think we need to look at what really constitutes a "rant". Frankly, I feel this one poster has been "ranting" since she came to the board. What is being done to stop her?
Frankly, whether it's a rant or not is somewhat irrelevant. The poster hasn't been personally attacking anyone (unlike some of other posters here), and is therefore not breaking any rules.

Whether you or others find the opinions (rant) bothersome, tiresome or don't agree is also no reason to "get rid" of anyone. The whining about the poster is honestly just as tiresome as the "rant".

Discussion of any topic and opinions on the topic are quite simply allowed. Discussions about people who are doing the posting are actually the violation of our terms of service.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 5th, 2010, 01:38 AM
Admiral

Ok, we know about the pods.

Now we just need to learn to get along without ranting or whining.

I guess that we have to behave like adults.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old March 5th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Admiral

Kuki,

Quote:
Frankly, whether it's a rant or not is somewhat irrelevant. The poster hasn't been personally attacking anyone (unlike some of other posters here), and is therefore not breaking any rules.

Whether you or others find the opinions (rant) bothersome, tiresome or don't agree is also no reason to "get rid" of anyone. The whining about the poster is honestly just as tiresome as the "rant".

Discussion of any topic and opinions on the topic are quite simply allowed. Discussions about people who are doing the posting are actually the violation of our terms of service.
Hmmm...

Doesn't posting that has clearly crossed the theshold of being purely vindictive violate the terms of service???

*surprised*

Norm.
Old March 6th, 2010, 02:40 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17 View Post
Kuki,

Hmmm...

Doesn't posting that has clearly crossed the theshold of being purely vindictive violate the terms of service???

*surprised*

Norm.
Who's posts are you talking about Norm, your's or Debras?

While the posts may arguably be a well worn (or worn out) attempt to try and damage the reputation of the cruise line, or put questions in the mind of potential X customers, I haven't witnessed any blatant lies about the cruise line.

Fact is the M Class X ships do have problems with premature wear on their pod bearings, and if Celebrity found a permanent fix, then the points made over and over and over and over again could be refuted easily, and the entire thing put to rest. But they haven't done that, and by booking one of those ships customers do indeed stand an increased risk of that type of problem affecting their cruise's itinerary and cruising speed.

While I agree it's a VERY OLD complaint that the poster keeps repeating, unfortunately it can still happen to X passengers, so strangely still legitimate to comment on. Tiresome? YES! A violation of board policies? No.
Old March 6th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Admiral

Yes it is very tiresome. And I do believe that those problems have been exagerated.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old March 6th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Admiral

Default Reread post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
I love the Solstice class of ships and they are selling extremely well, but I have not been on a "millennium-class" celebrity ship in a long time.

Are they still "all that?" I thought they were beautiful at the time, but it was been awhile since i have been on one.

What would you pick, Millennium and the extra money, or pay a little more to go on Solstice?

This post caught my eye again.. and it didn't take me long to say..I would go back on the Connnie or the Celebrity (Galaxy is gone) in heart beat..Of course it doesn't have a zillion dining options, but there is something about that size ship and the feeling you get stepping on board.. saying to yourself.. this is cruising.. Would I go on the Soltice Class... well,I am because of the incredible price we just got and the Equinox in October because of it's ports.. But there are people out there who like these options..they want floating mega resorts.. So, if the ports are right I'd jump on the Millineum class ships in a heart beat..There are people out there who want the newest, the biggest, etc. not me.. I want a ship that is a ship..and when I walk on board...I feel at home..not in a Las Vegas hotel
Old March 9th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post

While the posts may arguably be a well worn (or worn out) attempt to try and damage the reputation of the cruise line, or put questions in the mind of potential X customers, I haven't witnessed any blatant lies about the cruise line.

Fact is the M Class X ships do have problems with premature wear on their pod bearings, and if Celebrity found a permanent fix, then the points made over and over and over and over again could be refuted easily, and the entire thing put to rest. But they haven't done that, and by booking one of those ships customers do indeed stand an increased risk of that type of problem affecting their cruise's itinerary and cruising speed.

While I agree it's a VERY OLD complaint that the poster keeps repeating, unfortunately it can still happen to X passengers, so strangely still legitimate to comment on. Tiresome? YES! A violation of board policies? No.
I don't recall anyone, moderator or CruiseMate denying the fact there were pod issues! Sometimes you're so close to the forest, you can't step back to see the trees.

Interesting though that you, yourself in a post a month or two ago showed some form of angst and impatience with this poster...in fact, it almost seemed a "rant", actually.

In any event...picture owning a business. A hotel or resort maybe. A guest has had a terrible time in your property, maybe there was mold in the bathroom. Maybe they were charged for something in error. Maybe they paid for a week in your lovely property, but there was a problem, which was no fault of the guest's...for whatever reason, they had a crummy time.

That guest for over FIVE years, continues to rant, and complain, and continually discourage other guests from selecting YOUR property. Newbies come on the board and ask about your hotel, whether they should spend the money and stay there, but this one guest finds their way into almost every single thread to share "their experience"...the thread isn't even about other hotels, but the thread is about your hotel. Now how about that for "fairness"? Whenever something good is posted, that poster / reader comes back with their crappy experience from FIVE years ago. "I just want everyone to know the facts." OK...think there may be the likelihood that this behavior really doesn't stack up to that statement? Seems vindictive to me.

Also interesting that you have decided to point your finger at others who are defending their own experience, and are tired of the vindictive criticizing, rather than listen to what they are saying. Amazing yet disappointing to see this stand or approach with the larger population and that it is really, really tired. And it's not working.

Sorry, but many do feel it is a rant, and unequivocally denying it does not make it go away. More so, it exacerbates the frustration the majority of the readers in THIS forum, feel.

Defamation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Key phrase in the Wikipedia definition, "it is usually, but not always a requirement that this claim be false..."
Old March 9th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Admiral

Mermen, that was an excellent post. I hope that others are reading it.

I could not say it as well, but that is exactly the way I feel.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011

Last edited by Manuel; March 9th, 2010 at 05:43 PM. Reason: spell
Old March 9th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermen View Post

Interesting though that you, yourself in a post a month or two ago showed some form of angst and impatience with this poster...in fact, it almost seemed a "rant", actually.

In any event...picture owning a business. A hotel or resort maybe. A guest has had a terrible time in your property, maybe there was mold in the bathroom. Maybe they were charged for something in error. Maybe they paid for a week in your lovely property, but there was a problem, which was no fault of the guest's...for whatever reason, they had a crummy time.

That guest for over FIVE years, continues to rant, and complain, and continually discourage other guests from selecting YOUR property. Newbies come on the board and ask about your hotel, whether they should spend the money and stay there, but this one guest finds their way into almost every single thread to share "their experience"...the thread isn't even about other hotels, but the thread is about your hotel. Now how about that for "fairness"? Whenever something good is posted, that poster / reader comes back with their crappy experience from FIVE years ago. "I just want everyone to know the facts." OK...think there may be the likelihood that this behavior really doesn't stack up to that statement? Seems vindictive to me.

Also interesting that you have decided to point your finger at others who are defending their own experience, and are tired of the vindictive criticizing, rather than listen to what they are saying. ..."
What I criticize is the personal attacks. I don't disagree that it might be tiring and exasperating to see the same posts over and over and over.

But there's no need to make it personal. It's very simple and easy to state that those are not your experiences, and point out that the experience being talked about is 5 years old.

Though it would be easier to defend the view if the problems were also 5 years old. And Celeb loyalists should be just as upset with Celebrity that the problems still do linger and occassionally raise their head. If they had, the arguement would be clear... we could all say.... Those problems NO LONGER exist.

Attempting to "run someone out of town" because you object to what they are saying just doesn't seem any more "fair" than removing posts of someone who raves about their Celebrity experiences, which may also be 5 years old.

Last edited by Kuki; March 9th, 2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old March 9th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Admiral

Default Quiet board

At another site on this board HENRY43 wrote.".I am assuming that there are several thosand registered people on CM ,however ,only a handful partake in the cruise chat forum .I am wondering why" The WHY is becoming more and more obvious..Anytime we write about OUR experiences on a certain "premium" cruise ship line ....negative comments appear by a cruiser who was on the ship years ago... our comment is y ada,yada,, yada.. okay...go to another cruise line...It has been questioned ...if I work for Celebrity ( don't even own stock) That is a resounding..NO!! Lets face it... I've cruised Royal Caribbean, Premier, Dolphin, Carnival, NCL (recently and before Free-Style), Royal, Princess and had an ENTIRE, I repeat ENTIRE itinerary changed, far below superior port changed to one that I shouldn't have set off the ship on...I've had an accident on a cruise line that needed immediate surgery on the first day of a cruise and then reconstructive (Colles fracture) because of poor design...Do I get off and rant and rant and rant about this...NO, I DON'T... Why one person is allowed to do this continually several of us just don't know... Personally, I have my sad and personal the answer to this.. The only site that has remained free of this has been the discussion of the new Quisine on an upcoming CELEBRITY ship.. Those postings have actually been fun in the deconstructing of the menu by the new breed of chefs. I myself will probably never cruise on an Oasis or Epic...that is not what cruising is/was..Sadly I wish I could afford the smaller "luxury" ships, but we can't.. Our next cruise is on the Soltice next month and y ou can just bet y our bottom dollar now...I will make a point of taking notes to describe the good, bad and the ugly of this ship.. If nothing else I am honest and truthful (see my NCL Gem review)..So keep watch...

After FIVE YEARS don't you think that the poster should at least be asked NOT to bring the subject up again and again and again and again
___
Old March 9th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Admiral

Kuki,

Hmmm...

*surprised*[/quote]

Quote:
Okay, perhaps I'm missing something... what have I said on the CruiseMates boards that you perceive to be purely vindictive?

I can assure you that I have never intended any of the content of my posts to be vindictive in any way whatsoever (though I do speak rather bluntly on occasion). If I said something that came across in a manner that I did not intend, I apologize.

Norm.
Old March 9th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Admiral

Kuki,

Quote:
Attempting to "run someone out of town" because you object to what they are saying just doesn't seem any more "fair" than removing posts of someone who raves about their Celebrity experiences, which may also be 5 years old.
I don't think that "running someone out of town" is what's needed here.

But I do think that a politely worded private message to the offender saying that you welcome the poster's continued contributions, but that the CruiseMates boards are not the place for vindictive posting intended to extort some sort of financial settlement from, or otherwise settle scores with, cruise lines, and that all further posts perceived to be vindictive will be deleted, probably would solve the problem. Of course, you and Paul might need to follow through by deleting a few such posts to reinforce the point.

There could be a legal issue to this, too. By allowing posting that is clearly vindictive, CruiseMates could become liable for damages for aiding and abetting such behavior. In fact, JTOL, various provisions of the U. S. federal RICO statute probably would apply to such a case.

Norm.
Old March 11th, 2010, 02:00 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

LMAO :razz: :eek:

A "Reiko" case? Really? You are kidding, right? have you ever looked into case law regarding the legal responsibility of web site hosts regarding what people say in message boards?

For everyone's information, I have contacted Celebrity and told them exactly what has been said in these boards within the last 6 weeks, and asked for specificity on the condition of the pods. I have received no concrete answers from them saying the pods have ever been fixed.

Celebrity has been contacted and asked specifically to set the record straight, and so far they have chosen not to say anything. So, yes, you do have to accept the fact that it is problem with these ships and that the poster has every right to bring it up.

What I really and truly do not understand is why you people let it bother you so much. Why are you so personally invested in what another person says about these ships? That was her experience - she owns it, she can do what she wants with it. There is absolutely no obligation on your part to do anything about it - that obligation belongs to Celebrity.

If you are tired of hearing about it either ignore it or go to Celebrity and ask them for clarification on the situation. That's what I did, and that's why the comments are still here - I didnt get a satisfactory answer. When I do I will be the first to let you know.

But the one thing you can't do is ask her to shut up about it, nor will I do that, anymore than would I tell people they can go to Brazil without a visa or smoke pot legally in international waters. It is a point of fact - not opinion. You all do understand the difference - right?

I had stopped coming to this board because it stopped being productive a long time ago, but since I see things have flared up again so I am closing it. Time to move on...
Closed Thread