Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 23rd, 2010, 12:23 PM
First Mate

Default Celebrity Porter Service

Can someone tell me where to find out more information on this service, like what airlines are supported?

We have just booked the 5 Septemebr sailing of Solstice - can't wait !

Also, any feedback on experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Read and post cruise reviews
Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2010, 04:17 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

ROYAL CARIBBEAN INTERNATIONAL AND CELEBRITY CRUISES INTRODUCE REMOTE AIRLINE, LUGGAGE CHECK-IN SERVICE

Reservations: 1.800.647.2251

Miami - (December 28, 2005 ) - First-in-the-industry program lets guests avoid long lines, wait times at airport

Royal Caribbean International and Celebrity Cruises' guests can now complete the dreaded airline and luggage check-in process for their flights home even before they step off the ship.

The new service enables guests to bypass the traditional airport check-in process, adding convenience and reducing wait time by an estimated 45 minutes to two hours. The service is being rolled out at ports across the United States, based on approval by the U.S. Transportation Security Administration, Customs and Border Patrol, as well as seaport, airport and airline security personnel.

Called "Onboard Check-in and Luggage Valet," the service is now available to Celebrity Cruises' guests whose cruises conclude in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.; Miami; San Diego; San Juan, Puerto Rico; and Seattle. The service is available for Royal Caribbean guests whose cruises end in San Juan and Seattle. Both brands also offer the service for arrivals in Vancouver, British Columbia. To qualify, guests must fly to a U.S. city on an expanding list of airlines on the same day their cruise ends.

Before leaving the ship, guests confirm with cruise staff their flight information and the number of bags to be checked. Based on that information - which also is electronically forwarded to the airlines - boarding passes, luggage tags and claim checks are printed and given to guests. Guests with afternoon flights can take advantage of shopping or city tours before going to the airport directly to security checkpoints and on to their gates and flights. While guests take in the sites, their luggage is securely transported to the airport, processed and moved directly to their aircraft. There is a nominal fee for the service, ranging from $10 to $20 per guest, which varies by port and service offering.

The service was first piloted at the port of Vancouver during the 2003 Alaska cruise season. The 10-week test program involved two airlines and approximately 2,000 guests. In 2004 and 2005, the Vancouver service was expanded to include eight airlines and about 52,000 guests. Up to 75 percent of eligible guests used the service, averaging more than 500 guests per sailing and nearly 65,000 pieces of luggage this year.

"The luggage valet service makes returning home easier than ever," said Nick Hafner, vice president of Air, Sea and Hotel for Royal Caribbean International and Celebrity Cruises. "Our guests don't have to locate their luggage, transport it to the airport or stand in long lines, waiting to check in. Our goal is to provide an improved guest experience and an enhanced security process. We have accomplished both."

"This service brings innovation to the travel industry by dealing with check-in formalities and luggage before going to the airport, all at a very reasonable cost," said Alexander Gerdts, project manager. "We are adding more airlines and ports with the vision of offering this great service to all of our guests."
Old May 20th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Beginner

I have used this service personally and it was amazing! With the service you get your airline boarding passes delivered to your room the night before you disembark. Then, the morning back at the Port you get off the ship first as you don't have any luggage. We were able to enjoy the rest of the morning at the beach before we had to catch our flight back to the airport as we didn't have any luggage with us. It was great, especially with kids!
Old May 24th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Admiral

Cruise Mom,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
I have used this service personally and it was amazing! With the service you get your airline boarding passes delivered to your room the night before you disembark. Then, the morning back at the Port you get off the ship first as you don't have any luggage. We were able to enjoy the rest of the morning at the beach before we had to catch our flight back to the airport as we didn't have any luggage with us. It was great, especially with kids!
Unfortunately, I remember when this service, or substantially similar service, was free. The airlines found it more expedient to issue boarding passes and check luggage on the pier rather than at the airport. Alas, the free on-pier check-in went away after the "9/11" attack.

The fact that the company now charges for this service reminds me of an advertisement some years ago promising to send the "secret of success" to everybody who sent $10.00 to a specified address. Those who sent in their checks received an envelope containing a card with a fishhook attached to it. Printed on the card: "Fish for suckers."

Ah, yes, the cruise lines do it well....

Norm.
Old May 24th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Oh Norm - so cynical.

Unfortunately things change and it isn't the cruise lines' fault that we now have enhanced security. Maybe they can now only manage to do this for a small number of people within the confines of security limitations so they charge a fee to limit the number of people who take part in it.

It was a great service when it was free, so why would paying for it make it any less worthwhile?
Old June 1st, 2010, 12:21 PM
First Mate

Default Porter Service

I agree Paul. I remember when gas was 20 cents a gallon but I don't dwell on it. The convenience of the service is well worth the charge

Tulum Mexico Resort Reviews

Splendour of the Seas 97
Veendam 05
Westerdam 06
Serenade of the Seas 07
Liberty of the Seas 07
Jewel of the Seas 08
Westerdam 09
Volendam 09
Solstice 10
Solstice 10
Caribbean Princess 11
Nieuw Amsterdam 11
Oasis of the Seas 12
Queen Elizabeth 12
Eurodam 13
Carnival Valor 13
Carnival Fantasy 14
Constellation 14
Old January 30th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default porter service Miami

Hello, is the service still active on Millenium when it arrives in Miami port?
I will be leaving for Paris on an afternoon flight and would like not to have to drag my suitcase around.
Does the service apply also to non US citizens?
thank you