Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 7th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Beginner

Question Celebrity-Summit

Some friends and I are about to book passage on Celebrity Summit leaving Puerto Rico in April and traveling to St. Thomas, St. Croix, St. Kits, Antigua and St. Lucia. I have never travelled on a ship before and am wondering if anyone can advise me on the number 1 thing to do and see in each of these ports. There are so many options in each port, but time is short and I do want to see as much as possible but also do some shopping. All in our group are over 45 so we aren't overly adventurous or into really strenuous activities but we aren't couch pototes either.
Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Captain

That's a tough call! Those are all great ports of call with a ton of things to do.
In St. Thomas I'd suggest the cable car to Paradise Point. The view is awesome and how long you stay is up to you, so you'd have lots of time for shopping. Also, if you like the beach, Megans Bay is worth the trip provided there aren't more than 3 or 4 ships in port, then it might be too crowded.
The ship will dock at Fredrikstaad in St. Croix but you can get a bus to Christainstaad-about 1 hour and $12 return I think. Christianstaad is a gem! Beautiful harbour, quaint streets with boutique-type stores and wonderful cafes and restaurants. And don't miss the Fort!
St. Kitts has a new shopping area right off the dock-Port Zant I think. And a trip to Fort Brimstone is worthwhile-more magnificent views.
Nelsons Dockyard in Antigua is a nice excursion but the island is known for the beaches so we nearly always do some type of beach or boat thing.
Only been to St. Lucia twice-did an island tour with lunch which was pretty good and a catamaran snorkeling/beach excursion which was fantastic. But I think the thing to do is go see the Pitons!
Whatever you decide, have a blast That's a great itinerary and the Summit is a beautiful ship.
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old February 7th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Captain

Pamb1680,

Welcome to cruisemates. You will find this a great place to get information about cruising in general and also ports. Here, you will also find quite a divergence of opinions about ships and cruise lines.

I have sailed to some of the ports that you mentioned and your cruise itinerary sounds great.

I would recommend that you read the thread below asking "Is the Millennium class ships still premium?". The Summit is one of four ships in the Celebrity Millennium class of ships and there are points that all cruisers should at least be aware of about the Summit.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old February 7th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Admiral

I can tell you this. We had two wonderfull cruises on the Summit. One was a ten day and the other an eleven day cruise. My DW and I sailed with two other couples and we had loads of fun. The food was excellent the service was the best and the weather cooperated 100%. We loved the entertainment and felt at home on the summit because we all had sailed on the Infinity the year before.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old February 8th, 2010, 05:38 AM
Admiral

One of these days I will have to book Another cruise on one of the beautifull M class ships.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old February 9th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Admiral

PamB1680,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
Some friends and I are about to book passage on Celebrity Summit leaving Puerto Rico in April and traveling to St. Thomas, St. Croix, St. Kits, Antigua and St. Lucia. I have never travelled on a ship before and am wondering if anyone can advise me on the number 1 thing to do and see in each of these ports. There are so many options in each port, but time is short and I do want to see as much as possible but also do some shopping. All in our group are over 45 so we aren't overly adventurous or into really strenuous activities but we aren't couch pototes either.
First, welcome aboard CruiseMates!

>> In St. Thomas, I strongly recommend the Champagne Catamaran Sailaway to St. John. The catamaran picks you up at the pier. The crew sets sail and starts serving beverages (soda, beer, rum punch, and champagne are available). Arriving at a pristine secluded beach, the crew drops the anchor, lowers a ladder into the water to provide access thereto, and doles out snorkel gear for those who wish to snorkel at a nearby reef. After a couple hours in the water (or on the beach), the crew prepares lunch onboard and the captain sounds the horn for lunch call. After lunch and more time for swimming and snorkeling, the crew sounds the horn again and prepares to set sail for the pier. The catamaran usually arrives at the pier between 3:00 and 3:15, so you can either return to the ship for afternoon tea or go shopping in the center next to the ship before the ship's departure.

>> In St. Kitts, the island tour that includes Brimstone Fortress and the Batik Factory is outstanding. Known as "the Gibraltar of the Caribbean," Brimstone Fortress played a vital role in the defense of the island. The Batik Factory makes cloth with very interesting, and very colorful, prints that are worth seeing for their artistic merit even if you are not a sewer, and the adjacent gardens are also well worth a visit.

>> In Antigua (pronounced "an-TEE-gah" as though there were no "u"), I highly recommend the excursion that goes across the island to Nelson's Dockyard. This facility, built by Lord Admiral Nelson as a facility to repair the fleet of the Royal Navy, presents an interesting insight into the methods of shipbuilding and repair of the time. Some of the shops have been converted into modern shops that produce outstanding wares, too -- you can buy excellent pasteries at the bake shop and various souveniers during your stay.

I don't have any specific recommendations for either St. Lucia or St. Croix, but perhaps other posters will.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old February 11th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Beginner

Red face We booked that cruise

We will be on that cruise, not sure if the same dates, but we are very excited to hear suggestions. My friend is from St. Croix and said to take a taxi or bus to Christanstaad also. We would love to know if most people take a taxi to the ship or do they purchase transfers. Also any suggestions when we get back to PR we have like 4-6 hours to spend. Should we get a flat rate taxi from the docks and tour Old San Juan. Otherwise we have to check our baggage at the airport. Any reccomendations?
Old February 15th, 2010, 01:31 AM
Beginner

I'm sorry to say that I don't have any idea about it.
I'm also new and never been on cruise before and the place you mentioned are also new for me. I just want to thank you regarding exploring the places I have not fixed yet where and on what exactly to do.
Old February 15th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Admiral

St Kitts - Brimstone fortress or the sugar cane train St. Thomas go to St. John and Snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamB1680 View Post
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old March 3rd, 2010, 10:25 AM
Beginner

We flew and stayed in St. Croix (03 and 05) and St. Kitts(06, 07) in previous years and agree Christiansted is a great town. For a few bucks you can take the water taxi from Christiansted to hotel on the cay beach if you are into just lounging on the beach. Just stand on the dock in front of the government building and the taxi driver will come over and get you if he is not already there. Rumrunner is a great waterfront restaurant. If you are interested in sailing or snorkeling there is great snorkeling around the cay or Big Beard has an awesome catamaran sail to Buck Island. As for St. Kitts don't miss a taxi ride at least to the top of Timothy Hill and see the view of the Southern Peninsula! The beach on the other side of the hill (the caribbean side - not the Atlantic side) stop at Shipwreck Bar and snorkel along the coast. Last we were there I believe they were constructing a dolphin swim but don't see it advertised so maybe it was just a rumor. A half day tour is plenty on St. Kitts as it's not a large island and not a whole lot to see. We will be on the same cruise!