Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 11th, 2010, 06:36 AM
First Mate

Default My Time dining and Blu

Folks,

I have been reading about some seeming inconsistencies about Mytime dining and seating in Blu on another board.

Truth be told, despite reading the various posts, I am still confused.

So I thought I would ask the question here.

We are booked in an AQ on Solstice in September. We chose MyTime dining as an option.

As I understand it, Blu is the main AQ dining venue, which we are looking forward to.

On the other board, I have been reading that unless you chose a traditional dining time (early, late), your chances of getting a table in Blu, even if you are AQ, as a MyTime diner are slim until the later hours.

I am ready to revert to a traditional early dining time, but before I do, can anyone comment on this?

If we were to arrive at Blu say at 6:45 PM as MyTime diners, would there be a problem, or do they keep a number of tables open just for that reason?

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Sid1962

Read and post cruise reviews
Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Cruise Maniac

We were on the Solstice last week in an AQ cabin an ate in Blu all seven evenings. It IS all open seating now, but it was never crowded my guess never more than 50% of capacity. That said, we did get there every evening when they opened the doors at 6PM (we are early eaters). Being there at 6PM also meant that we got a table by the window every evening (there are about 6 table next to the windows, but many others very close to the windows).

As for your exact question: DO NOT SELECT "MyTime Dining" as that will place you in the MDR in their open seating section not in Blu. The last time I checked our booking before departure the Dining Selection options where still traditional or MyTime. Select traditional (early or late). The only reference to early vs. late was on the first night and there was a note on our bed that requested that we dine the first night in our selected time slot (early in our case). After Sunday evening, all is wide open to AQ passengers. (Actually, I am not even sure that they enforced the early/late request the first night. I think they just wanted to make sure that there was no rush to the door at 6PM, which never happened any evening.)
05/89 NCL, Seaward, 1990 Carnival, Topicale, 1991 Carnival, Festivale, 11/93 Wind Star, Wind Song, 01/95 Celebrity, Horizon, 01/96 Celebrity, Century, 01/00 Celebrity, Zenith, 01/01 Princess, Ocean Princess, 01/02 Princess, Ocean Princess, 01/03 Celebrity, Summit, 05/04 Princess, Diamond, 01/05 Celebrity, Galaxy, 01/07 Oceania, Regatta, 01/08 RCCL, Voyager of the Seas, 02/09 RCCL, Voyager of the Seas, 01/10 Celebrity, Solstice
Old February 11th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Admiral

It really doesn't make a lot of sense but I would suggest you call and ask for traditional dining as you currently are not assigned to Blu but the MDR. Blu has flex dining which basically means you can eat whenever you want but you are correct about the inconsistency....If you change it you will receive a letter in your stateroom explaining the Flex dining in Blu....
Old February 11th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

The main part of the confusion on this subject is that Celebrity has not updated their web site to match the current dining options when booked in a AQ cabin.

Just remember (until they update their web site, if they ever do), select "traditional", with a preferred time slot, and you will be assigned to Blu. When you get on board, you can dine anytime you want. We went early because 1) we eat early at home, and 2) it was great having a table by the window every evening.

BTW - - Even though we were at our table by 6PM, it usually took between 1 and 1 1/2 hours for dinner. Not rushed at all.
05/89 NCL, Seaward, 1990 Carnival, Topicale, 1991 Carnival, Festivale, 11/93 Wind Star, Wind Song, 01/95 Celebrity, Horizon, 01/96 Celebrity, Century, 01/00 Celebrity, Zenith, 01/01 Princess, Ocean Princess, 01/02 Princess, Ocean Princess, 01/03 Celebrity, Summit, 05/04 Princess, Diamond, 01/05 Celebrity, Galaxy, 01/07 Oceania, Regatta, 01/08 RCCL, Voyager of the Seas, 02/09 RCCL, Voyager of the Seas, 01/10 Celebrity, Solstice
Old February 13th, 2010, 07:41 AM
First Mate

Folks,

Thanks for the info. This cleared things up for us. I have contacted our TA changed to traditional dining, early seating.

We too prefer an early dining time, so we will follow sptrout's process and hopefully get a widow seat.

Again, thanks to both of you.

Old February 13th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Admiral

Question Blu Dining

How about breakfast and lunch.. is Blu still available for those times. We just booked the Soltice in the Aqua level
Old February 13th, 2010, 05:36 PM
First Mate

Parrot Mom,

From what I have read in various places, Blu is definitely open for breakfast for AQ folks. I can't remember if it is also open for lunch, but I am sure the folks who answered this thread originally can answer that.

Speaking of AQ on Solstice, when we originally booked for our 9/5 sailing, AQ was only a hundred dollars a person more than CC. Since then, the AQ price for that sailing has dropped. We just realized a $398 savings total for the 2 of us. As many have said on this board, keeping an eye on the prices periodically pays off. The only thing different we would do differently would be to grab a hump cabin were it to be available, as the balconies are larger. Next time....and there will be a next time.

Old February 13th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom View Post
How about breakfast and lunch.. is Blu still available for those times. We just booked the Soltice in the Aqua level
Blu is not open for lunch, just breakfast & dinner. Their breakfast is excellent, all made to order in their own kitchen. They are even open for breakfast the morning of disembarkation; great place to eat & relax before moving on to your assigned departure area.
Old February 15th, 2010, 01:20 AM
Beginner

I never been on cruise.
I'm getting married next month and I am planing to be on cruise with her.
Me nor my GF be on cruise before.
I want to surprise her and surfing and exploring my self which will be best for us.
I think "Sid" you should consider blu and be little early around 6 so there will be no rush and you will enjoy your evening.
Old February 24th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

We just booked on Eclipse for the fall and this is what we were told by our TA and by Celebrity when we called them directly:

If you select AQ, you dine in Blu....period. If you select AQ you do not have the option of reserving a table in the MDR. You may be able to change it once you board but upon initial selection of AQ, MDR is not an option.

My TA spend an hour on the phone trying to get us AQ with dinner reservations in MDR to no avail. As a result we booked Concierge Class.
Old February 24th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasco View Post
We just booked on Eclipse for the fall and this is what we were told by our TA and by Celebrity when we called them directly:

If you select AQ, you dine in Blu....period. If you select AQ you do not have the option of reserving a table in the MDR. You may be able to change it once you board but upon initial selection of AQ, MDR is not an option.

My TA spend an hour on the phone trying to get us AQ with dinner reservations in MDR to no avail. As a result we booked Concierge Class.
Yes, thankfully within the last couple of cruises they corrected their mistakes with this Select Dining inconsistency that was mentioned in previous posts.
Old February 24th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjretired View Post
Yes, thankfully within the last couple of cruises they corrected their mistakes with this Select Dining inconsistency that was mentioned in previous posts.
So are you saying that I should be able to reserve Aqua Class with MDR seating if I choose to? As of a week and a half ago when we booked this, that did not appear to be an option.
Old February 24th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasco View Post
So are you saying that I should be able to reserve Aqua Class with MDR seating if I choose to? As of a week and a half ago when we booked this, that did not appear to be an option.
No. If you book an AQ cabin, you dine in Blu not the MDR. I do not understand why you would want to go to the MDR EDIT: Never mind, I just saw your answer on another thread; although I do not understand it.

The issue recently was a problem with the web page that if you selected "select" dining you were forced into the MDR "Select" Section even though they did not knowingly want to do this. A person had to select "traditional" to stay in Blu. Very confusing for all including Celebrity's CSR's who have been quoted as giving the wrong answer to the dining question. Now whatever aa AQ passenger selects, you go to Blu.
Old February 24th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Admiral

Cool Mdr versus blu

We have an AQUA class cabin but want to opt for the MDR and was told we had to talk to the maitre de when we got onboard ship..Basically it's the same menu I've read
Old February 24th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom View Post
We have an AQUA class cabin but want to opt for the MDR and was told we had to talk to the maitre de when we got onboard ship..Basically it's the same menu I've read
The menus are not even close; we compared them several nights, never saw a reason to want to go to the MDR. Different menus, different kitchens, and a much more relaxing atmosphere. We sat right next to a huge picture window every evening (sometimes dark, sometimes still daylight, or watched the sunset). I can think of no reason to switch to the MDR.
Old February 25th, 2010, 07:10 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid1962 View Post
Folks,

I have been reading about some seeming inconsistencies about Mytime dining and seating in Blu on another board.

Truth be told, despite reading the various posts, I am still confused.

So I thought I would ask the question here.

We are booked in an AQ on Solstice in September. We chose MyTime dining as an option.

As I understand it, Blu is the main AQ dining venue, which we are looking forward to.

On the other board, I have been reading that unless you chose a traditional dining time (early, late), your chances of getting a table in Blu, even if you are AQ, as a MyTime diner are slim until the later hours.

I am ready to revert to a traditional early dining time, but before I do, can anyone comment on this?

If we were to arrive at Blu say at 6:45 PM as MyTime diners, would there be a problem, or do they keep a number of tables open just for that reason?

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Sid1962
Correction made