Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 23rd, 2010, 01:51 PM
Admiral

Default 350 ill on 'Mercury'

Old February 23rd, 2010, 04:23 PM
Administrator
Admiral

This is a very high percentage for a cruise ship. I bet the next cruise will have delayed boarding as the crew disinfects and scrubs down the ship and the CDC does an inspection.

I can understand why the media puts such an emphasis on Noro-virus on cruise ships but there are much higher incidents of it in the general population and in other contained environments such as: Nursing homes, hospitals, schools, prisons and the workplace. You never hear about these outbreaks.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 23rd, 2010, 07:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 23rd, 2010, 09:20 PM
Passenger

This is something that was bound to happen sooner then later. They should have qualified nurses during the embarkation process so people would answer these health questions honestly and get a real non bs evaluation. How about a thermal imaging scanner to look at body temperatures like airports have.

But I will never answer these questions with a yes and no one that cruises will because everyone knows that is an instant boarding denial. I wish i can call them and laugh.

Sorry, still very bitter about Mercury and how they took away my 12 day eastern Caribbean cruise for $500.

WIth such a high percentage of sick patients I would bet the food was contaminated at some point of time. The people who aren't sick should take a survey of where they ate so it can be determined if there is a pattern. If most of them answer that they didn't eat dinner the night or some other meal then that time can be examined more thoroughly.

Last edited by niceguy514; February 23rd, 2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old February 24th, 2010, 05:42 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy514 View Post
This is something that was bound to happen sooner then later. They should have qualified nurses during the embarkation process so people would answer these health questions honestly and get a real non bs evaluation. How about a thermal imaging scanner to look at body temperatures like airports have.

But I will never answer these questions with a yes and no one that cruises will because everyone knows that is an instant boarding denial. I wish i can call them and laugh.

Sorry, still very bitter about Mercury and how they took away my 12 day eastern Caribbean cruise for $500.

WIth such a high percentage of sick patients I would bet the food was contaminated at some point of time. The people who aren't sick should take a survey of where they ate so it can be determined if there is a pattern. If most of them answer that they didn't eat dinner the night or some other meal then that time can be examined more thoroughly.
It appears that it is norovirus and it is probably not food bourne. It is very difficult to tell where these things come from but this disease only has to do with food by touching utensils, etc that were touched by others and not from the food itself. It is also possible that the disease did not start on the cruise ship but on a plane, in a hotel or even at the home of someone on the cruise. Noro generally has an incubation period of 24 yp 48 hours so it is up in the air where it came from.

Don
Old February 24th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Admiral

When we were on the Zuiderdam in January it was hit by an illness. They were very quick to remove passenger access to anything that anyone else would touch. Salt & pepper shakers were removed from the tables, all buffet lines were roped off and someone wearing gloves handed out anything a passenger would normally reach for themselves.

There must have also been a lot of staff down as well as the SPA staff were working the buffet. At the Captain's brunch we were told the Captain wouldn't be shaking hands with anyone. Of course there was one bozo who charged up after being told and tried to grab his hand.

I'm not sure we completely excaped this as the second night has we headed to the dining room I felt a enough of a twinge I turned around and went back to our cabin. Took a gravel and skipped dinner. I felt fine about 3 hours later.

I think the medical questionaire is useless. No one in their right mind is going to admit not feeling well or having a fever a day or two before. They just automatically won't let you board, won't give a refund/future cruise credit and you are left sucking wind.

There has to be a better of way of handling it if they want to try to stop anyone who isn't feeling well from boarding.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old February 25th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Admiral

Cool Holyland Cruise 10/18

Did you book it.. hope to meet y ou--have been booked since July
Old February 25th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom View Post
Did you book it.. hope to meet y ou--have been booked since July
I have both of them booked but we are really leaning to the Oct. 18 on the Equinox. I partly depends on if I can get my air on ff miles for that one on the dates I want.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old February 25th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Admiral

THAT'S US...Chasing air line fares was enough to drive me to drink...we don't fly often enough, so we booked through the new Celebrity program on the airline I prefer..Swiss Air.. We are spending a few days pre-cruise in Rome...fell in love with Rome on our NCL Gem t/a Most of the people I've met on the boards are doing back to back.. we are just doing this one leg
Old February 25th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom View Post
THAT'S US...Chasing air line fares was enough to drive me to drink...we don't fly often enough, so we booked through the new Celebrity program on the airline I prefer..Swiss Air.. We are spending a few days pre-cruise in Rome...fell in love with Rome on our NCL Gem t/a Most of the people I've met on the boards are doing back to back.. we are just doing this one leg
I want to do pre- in Rome as well (which we will). We were there in 2004 and realized we would absolutely have to go back.

Egypt and Israel are the main reasons for taking this cruise though. I just feel I must go and this is the ideal opportunity. I was considering staying onboard and doing the transatlantic as well but I don't think that is going to happen now. We will be back on the Equinox on December 6 as I have some business meetings onboard. This just came up last night so I have to do some rethinking but I think we will fly home right after the cruise under the circumstances.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old February 25th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Admiral

Cool Pre-cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_the_cat View Post
I want to do pre- in Rome as well (which we will). We were there in 2004 and realized we would absolutely have to go back.

Egypt and Israel are the main reasons for taking this cruise though. I just feel I must go and this is the ideal opportunity. I was considering staying onboard and doing the transatlantic as well but I don't think that is going to happen now. We will be back on the Equinox on December 6 as I have some business meetings onboard. This just came up last night so I have to do some rethinking but I think we will fly home right after the cruise under the circumstances.
For us Israel was the main reason, but Felix...I fell in love with Rome.. more than I ever thought it was possible, especially the Trevi Fountain and the Colluseum.. We must think alike someways, we just booked the Soltice for 4/25 this year.. which will bring us up to Elite for the Equinox.. BTW found a great family run hotel in Rome..they will even pick us up at the airport (for a fee I believe). The back to back are too long for us..most of the people I've met seem to be from Florida.. If your interested in the name write me.. parrotmom@verizon.net