Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 24th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Admiral

Default Qsine: Dining venue unique to 'Eclipse'

Old February 24th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Qsine?

Isn't the name just a little too Qtsie?
Old February 25th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Admiral

Excellent article by Cruisemates food editor....

Celebrity Cruises Unveils "QSine"

Also, just so everyone knows, this restaurant replaces Silk Harvest.

Don
Old February 25th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Administrator
Admiral

She did write an excellent article - that is her specialty, after all. I like the concept of the restaurant and I am certainly in favor of replacing Silk Harvest.

I did not get the name at first. I guess it is because Q on its own represents a scientific terms for "width" or "bandwidth". Besides that, the word cuisine is not pronounced "cue-zine" - it is pronounced: kwi-ˈzēn.

But I will leave the nit-picking to Janice, because as you said she wrote an excellent article.
Old February 25th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Admiral

Absolutely agree with you Paul about it being "cutsey"... Can hardly wait for the so called "foodies" to give their rave opinions of the new cuisine..ENOUGH...When are restaurants going to specialize in doing things well instead of overpriced and ego driven chefs trying to outdo themselves with food presentations/combinations, small portions and high prices..No, I enjoy a so called "gourmet' meal, but I think charging $30.00 for a meal that consists of a meat ball,okay ,so it's Kobe Beef... I can hardly wait to hear the raves from these "food snobs" . You know we in New England have zillions of seafood restaurants and everybody here appreciates as my mother would say "a plain piece of fish"...Fish that is honestly served and most of all fresh... and I mean fresh...something that tastes like it was just taken out of the Atlantic and has a flavor that is not gussied up.. Sorry for my rant but this new cuisine concept may drive me over the wall.. As for Italian food..we have an Italian enclave in Boston (North End)..and in our neighborhoods that are chef owned with the Nonna often in the kitchen cooking the sauce/gravy. Sorry for my rant....lol
Old February 25th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Yes - not to drive the point into the ground, but when I saw the name Qsine I honestly thought it was a new magazine about broadband Internet access.

In any case - if you read the review you see that the theme is "cutting edge" as far as presentation is concerned. I am not sure making dinner into playtime is exactly what I want as far as a food experience is concerned, however; dessert is a "puzzle," you make your own guacamole with a mortar & pestle. - umm, why am I more qualified to make quacamole than a chef? Do I really know how much salt, pepper and garlic to add?

I prefer to learn from the chef's own palate, if I wanted to "cook" I would stay home. I applaud the idea of making it a cutting edge restaurant, however, but it appears the focus is more on the activity of eating rather than the taste.

Ah well, that's why Janice is the food critic here. I hope I get a chance to try it someday, the food may be delicious, so I don't want to go overboard knocking it.
Old February 26th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Admiral

The problem I have with this restaurant is the cost. It will be $30.00 pp which is the same as Murano or Tuscan and it just does not seem to me to be at that level.

Don
Old February 26th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Interesting DKJ...

I made some funny comments about it, but I would at least want to try it before I decided whether it is worth the money. It sounds like it might be very tasty. I am just reserving judgement.
Old February 27th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Admiral

Old February 27th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Captain

Just looked at the menu. Wouldn't pay $10 let alone 30. It's way too over the top for my taste. There's a lot of food there that I really like but by the time it got to the table I probably wouldn't recognize the taste. Guess I'm just not a gourmand But I'm sure it will be a success!
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old February 27th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Admiral

As I said to Paul earlier before even looking at the menu which I just did...A PLAIN PIECE OF FISH... Maybe I would try it once..but there are items like King Crab which I don't want gussied up.. Now, lets see if I can try to make turkey balls with cranberry sauce in them.. bet I can. Do any of y ou remember the cocktail appetizers from the 50's which had meatballs heated up in a sauce of cranberry sauce, chili sauce and my touch raisins? The recipe has just been brought back in a cranberry sauce ad...
Old February 27th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom View Post
As I said to Paul earlier before even looking at the menu which I just did...A PLAIN PIECE OF FISH... Maybe I would try it once..but there are items like King Crab which I don't want gussied up.. Now, lets see if I can try to make turkey balls with cranberry sauce in them.. bet I can. Do any of y ou remember the cocktail appetizers from the 50's which had meatballs heated up in a sauce of cranberry sauce, chili sauce and my touch raisins? The recipe has just been brought back in a cranberry sauce ad...
yes, I remember that-kinda dates us doesn't it? We LOVE those meatball-still make them now and then. I suppose, at the time, they were considered "Qsine"??
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old February 27th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Admiral

A nice piece of fish, nu?

I also make sweet and sour meatballs, but they're served with spaghetti .

IMHO they're "messing up" some good food!

Seafood is good with butter and lemon. Steak is good with salt, pepper and garlic. Baked potatoes, french fries, veggies..., all make me happy.

I certainly don't begrudge people who want to eat the "fancy" food (and pay $30.00 pp), but I'll stick with simple food.

There must be a market for the food on the menu or it wouldn't be offered . Each to his own!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old February 27th, 2010, 11:21 PM
Admiral

FERN...sweet and sour with spaghetti!!!! Just thinking of the meatball with cheese...Okay, so I take a meat ball and with a melon scoop put in a small ball of cheese and fill in the hole with the rest of the meat.. You know we mavens can work these recipes to become novelle cuisine..and when did the cupcakes we made for our kids become (especially the red velvet-remember we put cream cheese in them) so fashionable.. Think before I make my roast chicken for dinner Sunday I'll check out my old recipe books.. Yes, folks, in my circles I WAS known as a gourmet cook...thanks to Bon Apetit, Gourmet and Julia Child...now, I try to leave the preparing, cooking and cleaning to others. rolf BTW went to a very famous seafood restaurant and the comfort food of macaroni and cheese is now gussied up with fresh lobster..lol
Old February 28th, 2010, 12:16 AM
Administrator
Admiral

You know the big thing in desserts these days (in top restaurants) is to do all original versions of what we know as twinkies, snowballs, etc. A top-rated restaurant here (phx) serves cotton candy after dinner to everyone, while I know of one in Vegas that charges $10 for a serving of cotton candy.

I agree - I personally do not like cheese on my meat. I also don't want my lobster overpowered by the amount of salt & garlic one usually uses for escargot - come to think of it, I don't want any snails in my lobster.

But there were items on there that got my mouth watering:

Black Angus Sirloin Steak
home made Tacos Caramelized Onion-Poblano, Cilantro & Mortar Pestle Guacamole

Alaskan King Crab
Sweet yellow corn & scallions Kataifi with Old-bay lobster sauce

Popcorn" Fish-N-Chips
Fish~N~Chips
Boddingtons battered Codfish & Chips, Malt Vinegar or Aioli

"Chocolate Tombstone"
Layered Ganache, Nutella, Rice Crispies & More Chocolate

(ok , the last one is probably 'smores, but that's OK)
Old February 28th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Admiral

Default Menu

As you can see we are having fun with this menu aren't we..Cotton candy for $10.00 You are starting off my morning with a big wide smile.. What did comic, J.C. Fields say..".There s a sucker born every minute"... You have to admit it's fun de-constructing this menu. The more I look at your examples the wider my smile gets this a.m... Fish and chips ...(small pieces I assume) with malt vinegar or aoli ...that's fine.. but what ever happened to a good old homemade tartar sauce (for $30.00 no less). We have a restaurant in Boston (there maybe two now) that serve nothing but desserts and fine after dinner wines..other popular places in NY and Boston that specialize in cupcakes only.. Your right in that I don't like the meat and cheese..my background I guess.. but the best steak I ever had years ago was in the famous Sparks where it was topped with blue cheese.. Now if we were all invited to a "tasting" lol What a way to start a morning that has snow on the ground and more rain promised..
Old February 28th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
You know the big thing in desserts these days (in top restaurants) is to do all original versions of what we know as twinkies, snowballs, etc. A top-rated restaurant here (phx) serves cotton candy after dinner to everyone, while I know of one in Vegas that charges $10 for a serving of cotton candy. Ummm, YIKES! We could go to the Arkansas State Fair in the fall and buy more cotton candy than anyone could possibly eat for about $2.00!

I agree - I personally do not like cheese on my meat. I also don't want my lobster overpowered by the amount of salt & garlic one usually uses for escargot - come to think of it, I don't want any snails in my lobster.

I do agree with you here. I've tried escargot, it was okay, but I don't want it in my lobster! Lobster comes with browned butter for dipping and a potato.

But there were items on there that got my mouth watering:

Black Angus Sirloin Steak
home made Tacos Caramelized Onion-Poblano, Cilantro & Mortar Pestle Guacamole Is this a steak with all of this "stuff" (in English, cooked onions and peppers with some cilantro and avacado) on top? Or is it a Taco with all of this and some steak slices inside ? This is one of my problems. I can't decipher what's on the menu!

Alaskan King Crab
Sweet yellow corn & scallions Kataifi with Old-bay lobster sauce Huh? Just give me crab legs, browned butter and a potato.

Popcorn" Fish-N-Chips Hey, something I can relate to!

Fish~N~Chips
Boddingtons battered Codfish & Chips, Malt Vinegar or Aioli Hey, something else I can relate to!

"Chocolate Tombstone"
Layered Ganache, Nutella, Rice Crispies & More Chocolate

(ok, the last one is probably 'smores, but that's OK)
I think we can all relate to 'smores :-D!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old February 28th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Folks, last evening we were in a private club and the dessert was listed as "profiteroles with ice cream and caramel sauce". The plate arrived with 2 (count them 2) mini cream puffs with maple walnut ice cream and a smattering of caramel sauce (probably from a jar). This for $8 a serving! Glad we only ordered 1 to share. ! What is the world coming to?
Old February 28th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Admiral

Default Desserts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper's Mom View Post
Folks, last evening we were in a private club and the dessert was listed as "profiteroles with ice cream and caramel sauce". The plate arrived with 2 (count them 2) mini cream puffs with maple walnut ice cream and a smattering of caramel sauce (probably from a jar). This for $8 a serving! Glad we only ordered 1 to share. ! What is the world coming to?
As much as I agree about the price... prices for desserts now even in mid-range restaurants are going for that and higher