Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 26th, 2010, 01:25 AM
Passenger

Default help me plan a first cruise for me and my grandma?

Hi everybody !! I'm planning to give my 86 yo grandma a cruise this year (just me and her) and I need some direction on what kind of trip to plan considering her limited mobility. Neither one of us has been on a cruise before so I'm sure it'll be a great adventure no matter what.

Although she can stand and walk short distances without much trouble, she really needs to sit most of the time, and this is probably the biggest consideration for the entire trip. Because of this limitation our priorities are...

1) Good views from the ship as we won't be getting off for sight seeing
2) A ship made for easy access for wheel chairs
3) Good weather
4) A cruise in the Western hemisphere, excluding S. America
5) Something in the 3-6 day cruise range

Those are about it really. She's really not so much outgoing so I doubt she'd want to participate in too many of the planned boat activities.

From my research so far, depending on our budget, personally I'd like to get a room with a great sea side view.

Thats all for now. Thanks for your time, I'm all ears.

PS. Any links to cruise FAQs would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

The 3-6 days will get you to the Caribbean, with a younger set onboard, which may not be the best for your Grandmother.Go to 7 days and your choices multiply. A balcony cabin, will allow her the ability to go outside and enjoy the views. Getting a handicappped cabin is really your best best, if it fits in your budget. All the ships make it easy im most cases to get around. The Caribbean will also get you the most consistent weather...Usually if it rains, it's for a short time.

If by chance you do get off the ship, in many ports there is shopping close by..keep in mind if San Juan is on your itinerary, the streets are cobblestone..although in this port there is really not much close to the pier, and the cobblestones are futher up in old town...

Finally, I would arrange for your own wheelchair rental, and keep the chair in your room at night. Since there is a limited amount of chairs onboard...doing it this way, you know she will always have hers. I know someone, who kept the chair outside the cabin door, and boom it was gone! I hope you come back and let us know what you have decided...
Your Grandmother has a very nice Grandson:-).

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 1st, 2010, 06:17 PM
Admiral

bradleyheathhays,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
Hi everybody !! I'm planning to give my 86 yo grandma a cruise this year (just me and her) and I need some direction on what kind of trip to plan considering her limited mobility. Neither one of us has been on a cruise before so I'm sure it'll be a great adventure no matter what.

Although she can stand and walk short distances without much trouble, she really needs to sit most of the time, and this is probably the biggest consideration for the entire trip. Because of this limitation our priorities are...

1) Good views from the ship as we won't be getting off for sight seeing
2) A ship made for easy access for wheel chairs
3) Good weather
4) A cruise in the Western hemisphere, excluding S. America
5) Something in the 3-6 day cruise range

Those are about it really. She's really not so much outgoing so I doubt she'd want to participate in too many of the planned boat activities.

From my research so far, depending on our budget, personally I'd like to get a room with a great sea side view.

Thats all for now. Thanks for your time, I'm all ears.

PS. Any links to cruise FAQs would be greatly appreciated.
First, I would seriously recommend stretching your trip to seven nights, if you posibly can, and taking your grandmother to Alaska.

>> 1. The ship's promenades, which are accessible by wheelchair, offer fantastic views of the passing scenery and marine life while the ship is underway.

>> 2. The ships moor at warfs or piers that are right near major attractions in several of the ports of call, and the pedestrian ways are very well maintained. Thus, it would be very easy to take your grandmother ashore in her wheelchair for a change of scenery. The major ports of call also offer many shore excursions that are wheelchair-accessible.

But as to choice of cruise line, you might want to consider how easily your grandmother can dress for true "formal" evenings. If dressing for these occasions would be a hardship, I would recommend choosing a line that does not have authentic "formal" evenings such as NCL ("formal optional") or Carnival (the "elegant" evenings are not really "formal" at all). IIRC, and perhaps others can correct me on this, Holland America Lines -- which may well be the best line for wheelchair passengers -- also dropped the true "formal" evenings some time ago.

Norm.