CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Celebrity (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/celebrity/)
-   -   celebrity Solstice (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/celebrity/372241-celebrity-solstice.html)

plar March 2nd, 2010 11:22 PM

celebrity Solstice

We are first time cruisers from Fort Lauderdale, fl and decided to try a cruise. We live so close to Port Everglades and decided it was time. We did some research and decided to try Celebrity Solstice 7 night Eastern Carribean, San Juan, St Maarten, Tortola, Labadee Haiti. The ship was well appointed, we had a balcony room on the vista deck port side toward the aft. The staff was excellant. We chose celebrity select dinning which worked out well for us. We did make a reservation each night for 6:45 which was not a problem. We had a choice of seating for two. four or six or more. The first night we chose for two and after that we chose for four or more and we met some wonderful people at dinner. The food in the main dinning room is very good!!!!
We had made reservations for specialty dinning before the cruise for Murano. It was $30.00 extra per person and we did not think it was worth it. The food was only slightly better than the main diinning room and we felt rushed. It was not the fine dinning experience to which we are accustomed.

The buffet at Ocean view had unlimited choices, but if you want a quiet breakfast you have to get there before 8:00 a.m. or suffer the feeding frenzy!!! After the first day we chose to have coffee and juice delivered to our room between 7:00 and 7:30 a.m and then we would go to the buffet and choose our breakfast items bring them back to our cabin and have a quiet breakfast on our veranda. Very pleasant!!!!

The entertainment was very good. You do have choices. The main theater had shows every night early or late. Or you can listen to different groups in various areas in the ship.

If you want a deck chair you have get to get out early to put your "stuff" out to reseve otherwise you will not have a place to sit later. Just like a resort.

It was a wonderful experience and we met some wonderful people.

Paul Motter March 3rd, 2010 01:22 PM

Very happy to hear it. It looks to me like you may all the right choices. That great for someone on their first cruise - especially since it doesn't seem to you did any pre-cruise research (that you mention).

You should submit this to our reader reviews area.

richsea March 3rd, 2010 01:42 PM

Welcome to Cruisemates! Glad you had a good time on Solstice. I agree that the breakfast buffet can be hectic. Next time you might want to try the main dining room for breakfast. It's open seating & a good time to meet even more cruisers while having a leisurely breakfast. But having a light breakfast on your balcony is one of the nicest part of cruising. We've ordered coffee in & then eaten in the DR for breakfast, getting the best f both worlds.

Also agree, Chair hogs at the pool is a sore spot for most cruisers.

Enjoy your next cruise!!

Parrot Mom March 3rd, 2010 01:53 PM

Soltice-blu dining room for breakfast

IS THIS true they have the Blu dining room opened for breakfast? We will be trying the Soltice for the Western Caribbean the end of April.. What bothers me most about chair hogs is that they put their "stuff" on the chair and you never see them again until the end of the day.. I thought there were "chair butlers" now, isn't that true? I do enjoy the early quiet morning around the pool and admittedly have "saved" a lounge and a chair..until we have had breakfast...and then sit there most of the day...or at least until 4:00 p.m. Wbat bothered me terribly was going over to the grille within sight of my chairs to have lunch and have people just pick up the chair and table and move them...I GOT THEM BACK...for heavens sakes.. our clothes were on it..not just a book or flip flops..have had that happen while I've been in the jacuzzi...the Chutzpah of people... In all honesty sitting by the pool early in the a.m... about 9:00 am and soaking in the serenity of the day are one of the true highlights of any cruise we take..it restores my soul...

Paul Motter March 3rd, 2010 04:02 PM

I thought reserving deck chairs by putting a towel out in thwe morning was against the rules. It is a common gripe here in the boards.

I am not a sun worshipper so I would not know.

Parrot Mom March 3rd, 2010 04:11 PM

Reserving Chairs

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter (Post 1278015)
I thought reserving deck chairs by putting a towel out in thwe morning was against the rules. It is a common gripe here in the boards.

I am not a sun worshipper so I would not know.

Being from where you are I can understand why you aren't a sun worshipper... but from here in N.E. I crave the sun and light... of course slathered with #30 cream and above... Yes, I thought that reserving a chair now with "chair butlers" isn't allowed too, but obviously.. Then again with a slight case of skin cancer several years ago I just allow myself to sit in the morning sun and move the chaise back... it feels so good to this o ld body.. Perhaps the difference is that I sit outside for a while in the a.m...like 8:00 a.m often before going to breakfast at the buffet mid-morning.. I've been early, early sitting and reading and there are already chairs reserved in the back row..just with books, blankets, etc. these are people already there from early, early doing crosswords and reading...ALL DAY LONG..