Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 17th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Beginner

Default Help needed pls

Hi All. My name is Vesko, and i was accepted for the Guest Services Officer at the Royal Caribbean Cruise lines, there is a big chance that i will go to the Celebrity Solstice sometime soon. The agency that hooked us all up to the RCCL agent, told us just couple of things about the real conditions on the ship, and i always have the feeling that they're tryin' to hide smng from us. Please, i would really appreciate, if some member here knows more about this position, it's a staff position, and they told us that we won't have to share a cabin, which is very good, but i'm sceptic about that. So what i really wanna know is from someone who can tell me and my colleagues for sure 100%... Do we share the cabin while working onboard? Is it true that we have special discounts for all beverages and food (besides the included F&B of course)? Do we have direct contact with the guests, i.e can we get tips? I know i'm asking a lot of questions, but really, i wanna make sure i know everything before i go onboard, i don't want to have any unwanted surprises there. I am from Macedonia, the middle wages here are 250 eur, this position is around 1,700$ and i am looking forward to it, cause i wanna earn more money.

Many thanks to all of you in advance. Please if you have an answer to at least 1 question, don't hesitate to post !

Thanks. Sincerely, V.
Sponsored Links
Old March 17th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Admiral

Hi Vesko...Why not ask someone who is already working on a Celebrity or RCCL ship? That's the only way to be 100% sure. If you don't know anyone who is already employed on a ship...try searching the internet for someone.

Seriously, why would RCCL try to hid anything from you? In this economy they have plenty of applicants from all over the world. BUT since you have some real concerns just ask your agent directly.

If you do decide to sign up, READ your contract and what you don't understand have someone explain BEFORE you sign. The contract is for a limited specific time anyway. A good thing because if you don't like the ship or working on a ship just don't resign another contract.

From your post you seem like a smart guy...surely you've already thought of my suggestions?
Old March 17th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Beginner

Hello my friend. You see, the thing is, this is the first time that this agency from Macedonia hires people for this position. I don't know anyone who has worked previously on this position, that's why i asked here, hoping i will find some answers. I will try to get info in various places, but if i manage to get some answers here, it will be nice too. All i want to know is .. Will i share the cabin, and do i have any tips ... I know all about the wages...
Old March 18th, 2010, 06:52 AM
Admiral

If you are considered a guest services officer and the company is paying your $1,700 US you will not be receiving gratuities. Gratuities are "suggested" for room stewards and wait staff. Bar staff recieve automatic gratuities from every order. For anyone else to recieve grats it would be because someone felt the want to give - certainly not on the priority or have-to list.

As far as a private cabin - sorry I can't help you there - I have no idea.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old March 18th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Captain

Hello Vesko,
If you look through the message forums in CruiseMates, you'll find a section for "PEOPLE", then a board for "Crew Members". If you post your question there I think you'll have a better chance of getting some answers. Good Luck!
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old March 18th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Beginner

Thank you very much, nice people. I will try to find out more in the Crew Members area. Thanks!
Old March 18th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Admiral

Vesko,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
Hi All. My name is Vesko, and i was accepted for the Guest Services Officer at the Royal Caribbean Cruise lines, there is a big chance that i will go to the Celebrity Solstice sometime soon. The agency that hooked us all up to the RCCL agent, told us just couple of things about the real conditions on the ship, and i always have the feeling that they're tryin' to hide smng from us. Please, i would really appreciate, if some member here knows more about this position, it's a staff position, and they told us that we won't have to share a cabin, which is very good, but i'm sceptic about that. So what i really wanna know is from someone who can tell me and my colleagues for sure 100%... Do we share the cabin while working onboard? Is it true that we have special discounts for all beverages and food (besides the included F&B of course)? Do we have direct contact with the guests, i.e can we get tips? I know i'm asking a lot of questions, but really, i wanna make sure i know everything before i go onboard, i don't want to have any unwanted surprises there. I am from Macedonia, the middle wages here are 250 eur, this position is around 1,700$ and i am looking forward to it, cause i wanna earn more money.

Many thanks to all of you in advance. Please if you have an answer to at least 1 question, don't hesitate to post !

Thanks. Sincerely, V.
This is obviously an "entry level" position, and I suspect that your primary function would be to staff the Purser's Desk (called "Guest Relations" desk on Celebrity), which is equivalent to the front desk of a hotel. Basically, the staff there need to be very friendly people who can answer questions that passengers may ask about all aspects of the cruise and who know who to call to take care of a problem. They also process cash deposits and payments from passengers who elect to set up their shipboard account in that way and take care of various other administrative matters.

One of the great advantages to working aboard ship is that your expenses are pretty minimal. The ship provides your accommodations and your meals, so your only essential expenses are your preferences of toiletries and maintenance of your uniforms and your street clothing to wear ashore. You also will not need to maintain an automobile, etc., while you are aboard ship. Thus, you probably will find that over $1500 of that $1700 paycheck is disposable income. I'm not exactly opposed to seeing the attractions, having a good time, and acquiring a few souvenirs in the ports of call, but the smart members of the staff do so and still put a significant chunk of that cash into investments to build resources for use whenever they leave the fleet.

Most of the junior staff and junior officers share two-person cabins with another member of the staff. They seem to try to pair pair staff members who have similar duties so they will be on similar schedules. On most ships, staff members and officers also have access to the spa and may eat meals in the buffet restaurant rather than in the staff or officers' mess if they choose.

Overall, most staff do get time off in many of the ports of call. The ships do have requirements for "in-port manning" by a nucleus of staff sufficient to handle any emergencies that may arise, but that works out to be about every third or fourth day in port. On the other days, you would be free to go ashore to see the destination just like the passengers.

Good luck on your career!

Norm.
Old March 19th, 2010, 01:48 AM
Beginner

This was very helpful !!! Thank you A LOT , my friend! Cheers!