Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 18th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Captain

Default First cruise from Rome..need advice

While I've cruised over 20 times in the Caribbean, Panama, Mexico, etc. we're taking our first Med. cruise on the Equinox from Rome. We're staying
3 days prior to sightsee in Rome.

I need suggestions as to a nice but not extravagant hotel near the sights, suggestions as to getting to the cruiseport from hotel on day of the cruise, changing dollars into euros, or anything else you think would benefit us on our first European visit.

I know the transfer from Rome to port and then to the airport after the cruise is $182 PP per Celebrity.

I know my fellow Cruisemates can help.

PS: We're so excited!
Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Rome is gorgeous and you will love seeing all the history and beauty it has to offer.

The train from Civatavecchia is quite inexpensive but if you have heavy luggage it isn't the easiest.

You can do a private transfer for a lot less than $182 p.p.

I have used Manilo at www.limousineserviceinrome.com and he provided an excellent full day tour and transportation.

In regard to money I would use an ATM and get the Euros you need for the day or the time you will be in Rome and use your credit card for larger purchases. Use a bank ATM. They are plentiful and almost all have an English option so they are easy to use.

I really can't help you in regard to a hotel. Perhaps others will be able to give you more information. I personally would hit Priceline to see what I could get in a 4* or 5* hotel. One thing to remember is that a 3* in Europe may or may not have a private bath or double beds.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 18th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Captain

Thanks, Mike for the info...especially the private transfer. Since location is
so important this is one time I'll probably not use Priceline. Yes, we're looking
for private bath and elevator in the hotel.
Old March 18th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Admiral

Lou,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
While I've cruised over 20 times in the Caribbean, Panama, Mexico, etc. we're taking our first Med. cruise on the Equinox from Rome. We're staying
3 days prior to sightsee in Rome.

I need suggestions as to a nice but not extravagant hotel near the sights, suggestions as to getting to the cruiseport from hotel on day of the cruise, changing dollars into euros, or anything else you think would benefit us on our first European visit.

I know the transfer from Rome to port and then to the airport after the cruise is $182 PP per Celebrity.

I know my fellow Cruisemates can help.

PS: We're so excited!
I think that Celebrity's pre-cruise and post-cruise packages are the best option, especially if you don't know the city.

>> The trip from Rome to Civitavecchia takes an hour and a half to two hours. A taxi probably will cost about as much as Celebrity's transfers.

>> If you book a pre-cruise (or post-cruise) package through Celebrity, the package includes the transfer from the hotel to the pier (or vice versa) -- and it's totally seamless because the transfer will pick you up (or drop you off) at your hotel. Celebrity's land tour sister company, Royal Celebrity Tours, also will have staff at a hospitality desk in the lobby to greet you and to assist you during your stay.

I have also found that if you add up the cheapest rate for booking directly at the respective hotel web sites (which generally requires payment in full at the time of booking) and the price of the transfer, the bottom line comes pretty close to the price of Celebrity's hotel package. Thus, Celebrity's pre-cruise and post-cruise packages really are very reasonably priced. Also, Celebrity's hotels conform to American standards with private baths in each room.

As to specific hotels, I have only stayed at the Crowne Plaza St. Peter's. This is a magnificent grand lady located in a residential neighborhood right behind the Vatican where there are plenty of local eateries that serve excellent cuisine that has affiliated with the Crowne Plaza chain. This hotel also has a complimentary shuttle to the heart of town, so it's quite easy to get to all of the major attractions in Roma. There are also two excellent restaurants -- the contemporary upscale Jardin d'Hiver and a more casual bistro -- right in the hotel.

If you have the flexibility to stay in Rome for a few nights after your cruise rather than -- or, better still, in addition to -- staying for a few nights before your cruise, I highly recommend doing so. The Crowne Plaza St. Peter's has a complementary "one way" shuttle every morning that arrives at the airport in time for the later flights to North America, and other major hotels undoubtedly offer a similar service. Coupled with Celebrity's transfers from the airport to the pier before your cruise and to the hotel after the cruise, the hotel's shuttle would completely solve your transfer issues. If you stay overnight before your cruise, you'll have to get from the airport to the hotel on your own. Taxis are readily available at the airport, but they are not cheap -- the trip takes over an hour. Also, the people going to the airport on the day of disembarkation have to leave the ship very early.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.

Last edited by Rev22:17; March 18th, 2010 at 06:31 PM.