Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 19th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Beginner

Default first time cruiser

Can anybody please tell me what does a balcony actually mean as in cabin. I am extremely claustrophobic and the thought of being inside and down below waterline on a ship freaks me out, if i book a balcony can i actually get access to the outside from that room. Im driving my poor travelling companion mad about this but need to know i can get out if i want to. Thank you .
Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Admiral

It's just like having a balcony outside your bedroom. Wonderful...if your claustrophobic you can leave the drapes open all the time and so you can see outside. OR you can even leave the sliding door open at times. (Weather permitting...just like at home)

On Celebrity and RCCL the glass doors are full length so you can...open the sliding glass doors and step outside and not only see the ocean but feel the fresh air. If you want you can have breakfast, snacks, coffee or ???? sitting on your balcony. It's super and we wouldn't cruise without having one.

BTW: My sister is very very claustrophobic and has no problems cruising because she always has a cabin with a balcony. She keeps the drapes open during the day, but closes them at night...just like at home. She has never felt closed in or had a panic attack on a cruise. Ships now days are very open and airy..
Old March 20th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Beginner

Thank you so much for your reply, thats left me happily looking at where to go now .
Old March 20th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Admiral

It's been said here on CruiseMates by someone else that "any cruise is a good cruise!" It's so true!

Happy cruising...
Old March 20th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Passenger

This may not apply to you, but I am extremely claustrophobic too. I can't even lock bathroom doors when I use them, I just hope to heck no-one decided they need to go at the same time. Haven't been in an elevator for years..

My first cruise was on Princess and I could only afford an inside cabin. I was worried, but they had drapes on the inside wall so it appeared that there was a window there. I don't know why, but I had no issues with it at all.

Moot point I guess since you have a balcony.
Old March 20th, 2010, 06:27 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to richsea

Sounds like a balcony cabin is right for you. Also, there aren't any passenger staterooms which are below the water line on today's cruise ships. The rooms are not as large as a hotel room, maybe 12 x 15, but while you roam about the ship, you should not feel closed in at all. Have a good time!