Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 15th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Beginner

Default Does Millennium have self-service laundry facilities?

Hello All!

This is my first post. I am sailing on Millennium on June 25 and am wondering if the ship has any self-service laundry faciliites?

Regards,

Nina Dunham
Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niinipini View Post
Hello All!

This is my first post. I am sailing on Millennium on June 25 and am wondering if the ship has any self-service laundry faciliites?

Regards,

Nina Dunham
No self service Laundry facilities on any Celebrity ship. Here is a link to laundry prices if you are interested.

Don

FAQ Answers
Old April 15th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Beginner

That's a bummer. I've only been on one cruise that had it, and it was great. Saved a lot of money.

Thanks much Don.
Old April 20th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Admiral

Nina,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
That's a bummer. I've only been on one cruise that had it, and it was great. Saved a lot of money.
As a "premium" cruise line, Celebrity caters to passengers who prefer to send their clothes to the ship's laundry rather than spend their vacation time doing their own laundry in self-serve laundromats. If that's not your style, you might prefer another line.

Norm.
Old April 20th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17 View Post
Nina,

As a "premium" cruise line, Celebrity caters to passengers who prefer to send their clothes to the ship's laundry rather than spend their vacation time doing their own laundry in self-serve laundromats. If that's not your style, you might prefer another line.

Norm.
Celebrity is a good cruise line but it is no more premium than Royal Caribbean, Princess, Carnival or any of the numerous other lines out there. Celebrity may have been premium but they are no longer.

Don
Old April 21st, 2010, 07:55 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjretired View Post
Celebrity is a good cruise line but it is no more premium than Royal Caribbean, Princess, Carnival or any of the numerous other lines out there. Celebrity may have been premium but they are no longer.

Don
Don:

Very well put and you are right on target. While some Celebrity Champions may try to say that not offering self-serve laundry somehow is a good thing and the sign of a "premium" cruise line, too me not having the choice is not a good thing. Several cruise lines do offer their passengers a choice using a self-serve laundry if they wish. It is still just something extra that some cruise lines offer and some do not. As far as I know, there is no requirement to use it!

I agree with the OP, that self serve laundry does save a lot of money. It is all about choices and that is certainly a good one to have. I have been on several b2b cruises, and the self-serve laundry has saved me a lot of money. Now that I have completed 15 cruises on Princess, I now receive free unlimited laundry and dry cleaning every time I cruise with them. That is what I would call "premium".

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old April 21st, 2010, 08:40 PM
Admiral

Cool Premium Line

Quote:

Don
There is no doubt having cruised Royal Caribbean,Princes and Carnival that Celebrity attracts a much more "upscale" ,and sophisticated cruiser, perhaps on the longer cruises especially.. As for the washing machines... if you can afford so several cruises a year and back to back....surely cruisers must be able to afford a few more $$ for laundry..Did sail Princess and it was a hassle getting there early as the door opened to put in a wash or two..either sitting there with a book to make sure I was able to put them into dryers.. What I found quiet amusing was the men doing the washing and ironing...while their wives slept. The people who think washing machines and dryers are the "be all and end all".. are the same type of people who know exactly how to smuggle liquor aboard.. Frankly, I think it was a waste of space talking about how people smuggle liquor on board..
Old April 21st, 2010, 09:46 PM
Familiar Face

I was a bit disappointed that Celebrity did not have a self-service laundry. It is nice to be able to do a load of t-shirts, undergarments and socks rather than sending them out.

I sent out some t-shirts and they came back looking terrible. I don't think I could have intentionally wrinkled them more than the ship's laundry did by laundering them.

If you believe that the definition of sophistication is not doing your own laundry then you have a false understanding of sophistication. I have sailed on Regent and Crystal and their ships were full of "sophisticated" cruisers as were the self-service laundries. Regent and Crystal have self service laundries on all of their ships.

Betty
Old April 21st, 2010, 09:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom View Post
As for the washing machines... if you can afford so several cruises a year and back to back....surely cruisers must be able to afford a few more $$ for laundry..Did sail Princess and it was a hassle getting there early as the door opened to put in a wash or two..either sitting there with a book to make sure I was able to put them into dryers.. What I found quiet amusing was the men doing the washing and ironing...while their wives slept.
You seem to be having it both ways with your arguement.. you say people who cruise often can afford to have laundry done, yet when you cruised Princess you obviously at least attempted to use the self laundry facility yourself. mmmm

If a ship is equipped with self serve laundromats Mrs. Kuki and I use them. We sailed Silversea and there were plenty of people using the self serve machines.

It's not about being rich or poor, it's about personal choices.

Unfortunately some folks who sail Celebrity like to think it and it's clientele are somehow a cut above. I too have sailed Celebrity many times, and while it's a good cruise line, it's not that different from the others.

I think the food is generally better than on RCI and Carnival, but to think the passengers as a whole are any more upscale is really just presumptuous.

Celebrity ships are certainly more sedate than the others mentioned, but that doesn't translate to any kind of characteristic labelling like upscale, downscale, wealthy, or not so wealthy.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old April 21st, 2010, 11:41 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
What I found quiet amusing was the men doing the washing and ironing...while their wives slept. The people who think washing machines and dryers are the "be all and end all".. are the same type of people who know exactly how to smuggle liquor aboard.. Frankly, I think it was a waste of space talking about how people smuggle liquor on board..
These are interesting comments. What is wrong with a husband washing clothes while their wives sleep? Sounds fine with me. I always shake my head when some guy says: "I never wash clothes. I don't even know how to operate the machine." My first thought is: This guy is a lazy idiot.

Also: Equating someone who prefers to do their own laundry with a the "evil" booze smugglers is a stretch and quite presumptuous.

As Kuki and Bettybooper said: The luxury lines have self service laundries and are well used. To base the sophisitication of the passengers on if the cruise line has, or doesn't have, a self-service laundry is silly.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 22nd, 2010, 12:15 PM
Admiral

Cool Wrong impression

Sorry,it came off as the wrong impression.. I just thought it was great that the husbands were doing the washes.. This is from a woman whose husband of almost 55 years has done washes, bathed and dressed children when it wasn't the "thing to do" and to this day vacuums and helps clean the house.. It still bugs me the wrong way when I hear about people wanting to "smuggle" liquor aboard.. sorry, but that still rings true..guess a drink before dinner isn't a priority to us and we do buy a cocktail..
Old April 22nd, 2010, 12:42 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Sorry,it came off as the wrong impression.. I just thought it was great that the husbands were doing the washes.. This is from a woman whose husband of almost 55 years has done washes, bathed and dressed children when it wasn't the "thing to do" and to this day vacuums and helps clean the house.. It still bugs me the wrong way when I hear about people wanting to "smuggle" liquor aboard.. sorry, but that still rings true..guess a drink before dinner isn't a priority to us and we do buy a cocktail..
We built a new house in Pa and I made sure the laundry room was between the garage and the rest of the house. This way my wife would know where it was since she never found it in our old house...

Don
Old April 22nd, 2010, 12:46 PM
Admiral

Its a business decision, plain and simple. Perhaps they feel they can make more money doing it this way by not having laundry machines. They are in the business to make money. Personally, the last thing I want to do is laundry on a cruise.

Quick note: They are actively taking irons away when found in luggage...

Don
Old April 22nd, 2010, 12:47 PM
Admiral

Default Men doing housework

Quote:
We built a new house in Pa and I made sure the laundry room was between the garage and the rest of the house. This way my wife would know where it was since she never found it in our old house...

Don
One of the few things I can thank my mother in law for is that with a large family ALL of the children shared in household work. Many moons ago a neighbor came in while he was bathing the boys...and said "caught you"...he thought it was women's work...not so and never had been in this household.. The only thing is..Parrot Pop knows how to boil water...period..but after 55 years I wouldn't trade him in for anything...well, most days anyhow..lol
Old April 22nd, 2010, 12:52 PM
Admiral

Default Irons

Quote:
Its a business decision, plain and simple. Perhaps they feel they can make more money doing it this way by not having laundry machines. They are in the business to make money. Personally, the last thing I want to do is laundry on a cruise.

Quick note: They are actively taking irons away when found in luggage...

Don

Well, that take care of bringing an iron.. but my philosophy is..that if something is that badly wrinkled I'll send it out.. or use a spray, or put it in the bathroom after a shower.. or.. just plain wear it.. my body heat will take out the wrinkles..

Off to pack Parrot Pop for our Soltice cruise this weekend..that I don't let him do..lol..
Old April 22nd, 2010, 02:37 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Debra View Post
Don:

Very well put and you are right on target. While some Celebrity Champions may try to say that not offering self-serve laundry somehow is a good thing and the sign of a "premium" cruise line, too me not having the choice is not a good thing. Several cruise lines do offer their passengers a choice using a self-serve laundry if they wish. It is still just something extra that some cruise lines offer and some do not. As far as I know, there is no requirement to use it!

I agree with the OP, that self serve laundry does save a lot of money. It is all about choices and that is certainly a good one to have. I have been on several b2b cruises, and the self-serve laundry has saved me a lot of money. Now that I have completed 15 cruises on Princess, I now receive free unlimited laundry and dry cleaning every time I cruise with them. That is what I would call "premium".

Debra
You are misinterpreting my remarks, I think it is very difficult to define what is Premium, all the lines above certainly are Premium when compared to the Staten Island Ferry. Celebrity is an excellent cruise line, I just think Norm is not referring to the Celebrity of today..

A self service laundry is not a reflection either way on a cruise line. The choice is given to you prior to booking the cruise line so you may make your own choices. As far as I am concerned a self-service laundry is simply a profit motive which depending on your view can be a good thing or bad. To you it is bad, because everything Celebrity does is poor, to others, particularly stockholders this is a good thing.

Under Celebritys new elite program I receive free laundry after only 10 cruises along with several other excellent perks. I am not writing to compare Celebrity or Princess, only providing correct info without a bias either way which unfortunately you cannot say...

I will continue to call them the way I see them....

Don
Old April 22nd, 2010, 05:30 PM
Admiral

Don,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
The current cruise guides disagree with you completely on that. They still rank Celebrity, Princess, and Holland America Line as "premium" and Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Norwegian Cruise Line as "mainstream."

Norm.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 05:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17 View Post
Don,

The current cruise guides disagree with you completely on that. They still rank Celebrity, Princess, and Holland America Line as "premium" and Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Norwegian Cruise Line as "mainstream."

Norm.
Norm... I'll disagree with you on that. Most "cruise experts" now talk about the blurring of those old distinctions, and currently really only refer to lines in the ilk of Azamara and Oceania as premium brands. You'll rarely see those categories referred to at all anymore.

In fact this topic was discussed at some length with cruise writer's I met while attending the Cruise Shipping Miami (Seatrade) conference in Miami last month.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old April 23rd, 2010, 02:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

I prefer to think that any cruise ship I am on is premium. We've sailed NCL, Carnival, RCCL, Holland and Celebrity next month. They are all wonderful compared to being a working stiff at home.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 02:23 PM
Admiral

Quote:
There is no doubt having cruised Royal Caribbean,Princes and Carnival that Celebrity attracts a much more "upscale" ,and sophisticated cruiser, perhaps on the longer cruises especially.. As for the washing machines... if you can afford so several cruises a year and back to back....surely cruisers must be able to afford a few more $$ for laundry..Did sail Princess and it was a hassle getting there early as the door opened to put in a wash or two..either sitting there with a book to make sure I was able to put them into dryers.. What I found quiet amusing was the men doing the washing and ironing...while their wives slept. The people who think washing machines and dryers are the "be all and end all".. are the same type of people who know exactly how to smuggle liquor aboard.. Frankly, I think it was a waste of space talking about how people smuggle liquor on board..
What exactly does wanting to be able to do your own laundry and smuggling booze have to do with each other?
Old April 23rd, 2010, 03:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
What exactly does wanting to be able to do your own laundry and smuggling booze have to do with each other?
Haha, maybe people like to drink heavily while they are doing their laundry?
Old April 23rd, 2010, 04:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by suse View Post
Haha, maybe people like to drink heavily while they are doing their laundry?
Ok, now that I can understand
Old April 23rd, 2010, 04:35 PM
First Mate

Maybe the cruise lines would make more money if they put a bar next to the laundry room.

Old April 23rd, 2010, 05:29 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthew8 View Post
Maybe the cruise lines would make more money if they put a bar next to the laundry room.
They could put in those liquor dispensers in the wall that takes quarters
Old April 23rd, 2010, 06:08 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
They could put in those liquor dispensers in the wall that takes quarters
You could pull the handle, and pray for three cherries. But be careful, you wouldn't want to accidently drink a shot of liquid Tide.

Old April 25th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthew8 View Post
Actually, putting it next to a pool would probably not be a bad idea. One time we finished a cruise and stayed in FLL at a Marriott the day after. They had their laundry room next to the pool and I did all the laundry for four. It was nice coming home and having everything done.

Don
Old May 8th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Captain

Quote:

Under Celebritys new elite program I receive free laundry after only 10 cruises along with several other excellent perks. I am not writing to compare Celebrity or Princess, only providing correct info without a bias either way which unfortunately you cannot say...

I will continue to call them the way I see them....

Don
Don,

Thanks for your comments.
As usual, I will continue to speak the whole truth and not deal in "half-truths".

Speaking of bias, it should be pointed out that your comment in regard to my post, that "you receive free laundry after only ten cruises on Celebrity" is less than a half of the truth. As you stated, you do receive free laundry on Celebrity but it is limited to one bag of laundry per sailing and free dry cleaning of 1 garment item. You also receive free pressing of 2 garment items.
To avoid the usual doubters the source is Celebrity's own web site. I certainly agree that the new "limited free laundry on Celebrity" is a good first step to bring up Celebrity's past passenger program closer to the level of their competition.

All I was saying was that Celebrity's program certainly pales in comparison to the unlimited free laundry and unlimited free dry cleaning offered by Princess after 15 cruises, and the same may very well be offered on other premium cruise lines.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old May 9th, 2010, 11:29 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to richsea

This is starting to sound like "my cruise line is better than your cruise line".

All lines have different perks which appeal to different people. If doing laundry for free while on vacation is that important, then pick a line that provides free laundry. Personally, the idea of going to a laudramat while on vacation does not particularly appeal to me. Celebrity does not provide free do it yourself laundry. But I do find that the 30 pieces of laundry (washed, dried and folded) for each Elite member in a stateroom is very convenient, especially on longer cruises.
Old May 9th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Admiral

Default Laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsea View Post
This is starting to sound like "my cruise line is better than your cruise line".

All lines have different perks which appeal to different people. If doing laundry for free while on vacation is that important, then pick a line that provides free laundry. Personally, the idea of going to a laudramat while on vacation does not particularly appeal to me. Celebrity does not provide free do it yourself laundry. But I do find that the 30 pieces of laundry (washed, dried and folded) for each Elite member in a stateroom is very convenient, especially on longer cruises.
HERE WE GO AGAIN, YOUR RIGHT Now that I'm an Elite member I look forward to the laundry perks for both of us on our next cruise... and all the little extras our favorite cruise line offers Elite members. There is no way that I am having anybody but myself wash my personal underwear...no way, no how..lol.. What is the big deal..I personally did not enjoy spending time in the laundry room waiting for machines and dryers...and getting up early in the a.m. to make sure I got one.. It will cut down on duplicate clothes for sure. With this once in a lifetime trip for Parrot Pop and myself I don't want to waste one precious moment in a laundry room
Old May 9th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Admiral

Parrot Mom.

When is your next cruise?

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!