Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 7th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Admiral

Lord and Taylor yes. JC Penney, sorry, I wouldn't step foot in that store. But I'm not addressing individual stores, I'm talking an overall collection of clothing, I find far superior in Europe.
Old May 7th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Admiral

One comment intrigues me "Celebrity is one of the more dressy lines"...as far as Formal goes the maximum number of formal nights on any cruise of any length is three as far as I know. P&O have two a week, & would probably have three on a ten night. I think it makes sense really, if you have to take all the kit you may as well wear it!
Old May 7th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Beginner

Really I thought P & O would be much more formal, you know like 'old school'
Old May 7th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkerdavey View Post
Really I thought P & O would be much more formal, you know like 'old school'
That's what I said I think, Celebrity have a maximum of three, P&O have two a week, also most P&O ships have "semi Formal" where men are required to wear a jacket. Cunard I think, call 'smart casual' jacket & tie.
Old May 7th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Familiar Face

Not all European clothes are superior. I am unimpressed by Zara, Mango etc, which are for younger figures. I buy "European" clothes. If I look at the labels, many are made in Asia! So much for European brands!

We really have to buy what fits us and US clothes are more generously cut.

I agree that in general, JC Penny is nothing special. In the malls, the Lord & Taylor's are not much either. I prefer Nordstrom, which may be at that level (or a notch higher).
Old May 7th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Admiral

Well I think the cost or quality of clothes is less important than people making some attempt to at least try to look smart & observe the dress code. We can't all afford designer labels or hand made clothes, but we can all try to adhere to the request to dress in a certain way.
Old May 7th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Admiral

johnthed0g,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
One comment intrigues me "Celebrity is one of the more dressy lines"...as far as Formal goes the maximum number of formal nights on any cruise of any length is three as far as I know. P&O have two a week, & would probably have three on a ten night. I think it makes sense really, if you have to take all the kit you may as well wear it!
1. On Celebrity, the "suggested" attire for the "formal" evenings still adheres to the "modified formal" standard that most cruise lines, recognizing that few prospective passengers of the time owned true "formal" attire, adopted in the 1970's. Several other cruise lines have diluted this, incorporating what's traditionally considered to be "informal" attire (a sport coat, slacks, and tie for gents) into their "suggested" dress, or even replaced the traditional "formal" evenings with "elegant" or "formal optional" evenings for which gents may opt for a sport shirt and slacks, or even gone to an "all nights casual" standard of evening dress.

2. While most cruise lines that retain "formal" evenings still have two on cruises of six to eight nights and three on cruises of twelve to fourteen nights, at least one major cruise line has reduced the number of "formal" evenings from three to two on cruises of nine to eleven nights. Celebrity, however, has not.

3. On most Celebrity cruises, the overwhelming majority of passengers do dress to the "suggested" standard (the notable exception being the cruises of four or five nights to the Caribbean, which draw a decidedly more casual roster of passengers). This is not the case on several other lines that purport to maintain standards.

Celebrity was also the last major cruise line marketed predomiantly in North America to replace "semiformal" or "informal" evenings with "casual" (or "smart casual") evenings.

That said, I'm not surprised that some cruise lines marketed predominantly in Europe are dressier, as Europe has long tended toward greater formality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Well I think the cost or quality of clothes is less important than people making some attempt to at least try to look smart & observe the dress code. We can't all afford designer labels or hand made clothes, but we can all try to adhere to the request to dress in a certain way.
I agree completely.

And in fact, the clothes with the fancy designer labels often have flimsier materials and poorer stitching than clothing sold in discount department stores here in the States.

Norm.
Old May 7th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Admiral

Default Made in the usa

I doubt very much if any mens mfg. has their products made in the USA.. it's just too expensive and i doubt if you would (not that I would know) be able to hire sewers here to do all the fine work...those days are long gone.. I do have one designer stationed in MA that REV might be the only one.. his factory is in Fall River. Now even when you talk about english china...they are being outsourced to Indonesia or Thailand..and its more than one brand.
Old May 7th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Admiral

P&O have the same dress code wherever they cruise, except for Caribbean where the semi formals are dropped.