Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 26th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Passenger

Default Formal Nights

Hi All,

How formal are formal nights on Celebrity? I've taken Royal Caribbean and Norwegian cruises before and have seen people in regular nice clothes as well as tuxedos and sparkly dresses. I guess formal means different things to different people or different areas of the country. Please let me know your thoughts on the formal dress on Celebrity.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

With baggage restrictions in force now...Tuxedoes may become a thing of the past..A man dressed in a dark suit, cannot do wrong....A lady in a cocktail dress..dressy pants and top, or a long dress, the same....You both look wonderful, and packing will be easier....

On some lines, you can be dressed to the nines as we were one cruise, and, have your tablemate in jeans and a tee shirt You really won't see this on Celebrity though...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 26th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Captain

I agree with trip. We sailed Celebrity last December and on formal nights everyone -including the few children that were on board-were dressed up to some degree. Long gowns, a few tuxedos, cocktail dresses, dark suits,some spots jackets with ties, a couple of kilts, a few military uniforms, dressy pants with glittery tops. There was one glaring exception-a man at the table next to us showed up in jeans and a tee shirt as he did every night of the 12 night cruise. It was a table for 6 and after the second night the other 4 never showed! There's always one in the crowd.
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old April 27th, 2010, 12:00 AM
Passenger

Thanks so much. I live in Manhattan and I have a very clear what formal means here but I was surprised at what people on my past cruises considered formal. I appreciate your information
Old April 27th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

I understand that, with the new airline rules, going formal might be a challenge. However, a suit and tie is really not more effort than a tux or dinner jacket. Jeans and a tee shirt are unacceptable to me for evening in the dining room. Guys traditionally take less clothes than women. Which means we can take more! Yeah!! In any event, I always take more than I need. Still trying to work on that.
Old April 27th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I used to pack the world and then some..then the luggage guidelines and fees kicked in...on my last cruise I thought the fees would kick in,but I was actually grandfathered in on my ticket..Nevertheless, we downsized considerably, from 2 large suitcases to, 2 mediums, and of course, our carryons.

With that, I still didn't wear all I took, and I took, my overpacking tiara off for good....we stopped the tux, when hubby outgrew it.

I won' pay for overweight bags, especially now with 1st bag fees now..I think most cruisers, pack less formal,though with lovely evening wear now, and a dark suit for the man..The diehards won't change, from their tuxes and beading,and I think that's great, if that's their choice...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 28th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Cruise Maniac

We're lucky in that we live in Florida and usually can drive to the ports. Flying anywhere now is challenging at best.
Old April 28th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I used to pack the world and then some..then the luggage guidelines and fees kicked in...on my last cruise I thought the fees would kick in,but I was actually grandfathered in on my ticket..Nevertheless, we downsized considerably, from 2 large suitcases to, 2 mediums, and of course, our carryons.

With that, I still didn't wear all I took, and I took, my overpacking tiara off for good....we stopped the tux, when hubby outgrew it.

I won' pay for overweight bags, especially now with 1st bag fees now..I think most cruisers, pack less formal,though with lovely evening wear now, and a dark suit for the man..The diehards won't change, from their tuxes and beading,and I think that's great, if that's their choice...
Your thoughts are being borne out by those returning from cruises as more and more people are reporting the lack of formality on Celebrity Cruises as compared to years ago....I don't think it helps that Celebrity has a dress code but does not enforce it.

Its nice to see people dressed up but I'm not lugging around tuxes and stand out on a ship as one of the few wearing them especially with the weight limits on ships. I'll just bring my suit and be happy...

Don
Old April 28th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Familiar Face

I have been on only one cruise(Celebrity),but I have been wondering about all the strident 'dressing to the nines" discussion here,my 14 day around the horn cruise had little of it. Our table of 8 had nice clothing but nothing more than I would wear to a nice restaurant at home. 2 men wore suits and 2 had sports jackets.Three of the women wore nice tops with slacks and one lady wore nice dresses.The few people in super dressy outfits really stood out--there were a few tux and and a very few long dresses but it was not the majority.
Old April 28th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener46 View Post
I have been on only one cruise(Celebrity),but I have been wondering about all the strident 'dressing to the nines" discussion here,my 14 day around the horn cruise had little of it. Our table of 8 had nice clothing but nothing more than I would wear to a nice restaurant at home. 2 men wore suits and 2 had sports jackets.Three of the women wore nice tops with slacks and one lady wore nice dresses.The few people in super dressy outfits really stood out--there were a few tux and and a very few long dresses but it was not the majority.
Just trying to answer you question. Celebrity used to be more formal than most cruise lines and had strict guidelines which were complied with otherewise you would not be admitted to the MDR and some other venues. Their policies at one time were for the entire evening and not just dinner. Much of this has changed but there are still many long time Celebrity cruisers who wish it were still true. Celebrity still does have more stringent guidelines than most cruise lines but does not enforce them so the point is really moot...

Don
Old April 28th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks,with the increasing cost of suitcases I am sure the trend of less formal dressing will continue.
Old April 29th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Admiral

Pluckrose,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
Hi All,

How formal are formal nights on Celebrity? I've taken Royal Caribbean and Norwegian cruises before and have seen people in regular nice clothes as well as tuxedos and sparkly dresses. I guess formal means different things to different people or different areas of the country. Please let me know your thoughts on the formal dress on Celebrity.

Thanks!
Celebrity is unquestionably the dressiest of all of the major cruise lines.

That said, the trends seem to vary considerably with length of itinerary and, to some extent, destination.

>> Cruises to more exotic destinations (Europe, Hawai'i, South America, Trans-Atlantic, and even Panama Canal) tend to be somewhat dressier than cruises of equal duration to the Caribbean, to Alaska, or to the Mexican Riviera.

>> Longer cruises tend to be dressier than shorter cruises.

The bottom line here is that you'll see a lot more gents dressed in "black tie" on a two week cruise to Europe than on a seven night cruise to Alaska. On several of my Mediterranean and Trans-Atlantic cruises, the cocktail dresses that turned out on the "casual" evenings would have been quite acceptable on the "formal" evenings!

Of course, it's proper to dress in accordance with the guidance provided by the cruise line, regardless of what other passengers do. For gents, this means either "black tie" (tuxedo or dinner jacket outfit) or a dark business suit on the "formal" evenings and a shirt with a collar and slacks on the "caual" evenings. For ladies, this means either an evening dress or a formal cocktail dress on the "formal" evenings and either a dress or a top worn with a skirt or slacks on the "caual" evenings.

Note Celebrity's stated policy that jeans are never permitted in the dining room and that shorts and "T" shirts are not permitted in the dining room at dinnertime. Enforcement of this policy is not consistent, but a ship could institute a crackdown on any cruise.

Norm.
Old April 29th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17 View Post
Note Celebrity's stated policy that jeans are never permitted in the dining room and that shorts and "T" shirts are not permitted in the dining room at dinnertime. Enforcement of this policy is not consistent, but a ship could institute a crackdown on any cruise.

Norm.
And I could have a 34 " waist again, so my old tux would fit, but we'd BOTH have to work on it really hard
Old April 30th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Pluckrose,

Celebrity is unquestionably the dressiest of all of the major cruise lines.

That said, the trends seem to vary considerably with length of itinerary and, to some extent, destination.

>> Cruises to more exotic destinations (Europe, Hawai'i, South America, Trans-Atlantic, and even Panama Canal) tend to be somewhat dressier than cruises of equal duration to the Caribbean, to Alaska, or to the Mexican Riviera.

>> Longer cruises tend to be dressier than shorter cruises.

The bottom line here is that you'll see a lot more gents dressed in "black tie" on a two week cruise to Europe than on a seven night cruise to Alaska. On several of my Mediterranean and Trans-Atlantic cruises, the cocktail dresses that turned out on the "casual" evenings would have been quite acceptable on the "formal" evenings!

Of course, it's proper to dress in accordance with the guidance provided by the cruise line, regardless of what other passengers do. For gents, this means either "black tie" (tuxedo or dinner jacket outfit) or a dark business suit on the "formal" evenings and a shirt with a collar and slacks on the "caual" evenings. For ladies, this means either an evening dress or a formal cocktail dress on the "formal" evenings and either a dress or a top worn with a skirt or slacks on the "caual" evenings.

Norm.
"dark" has not been included in the formal clothes guidelines for two years since the dress code was changed to two types of styles, formal and smart Casual.

Norms post is only an opinion and from reading hundreds of other posts on this board and others, it is no longer the case. If anything longer cruises even in Europe seem to have many cruisers looking for ways to deal with airline weight restrictions and the fact that Celebrity does not have self service laundrys..Europe also is attracting lots of families and they certainly are not looking to bring formal clothes for the kids... Probably more wishful thinking on his part and there is nothing wrong with that.

I do agree with one point he made, enforcement is not consistent and they could institute a crackdown on any cruise....

It would not surprise me if at anytime Celebrity adopted Azamara's policy of Smart Casual every night.

Don

Last edited by dkjretired; April 30th, 2010 at 07:32 AM.
Old April 30th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Admiral

Don,

Quote:
Norms post is only an opinion, and from reading hundreds of other posts on this board and others
Don't post is only an opinion, too. But in this instance, Norm's "opinion" is based on personal observation rather than on reading what others have posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
... and from reading hundreds of other posts on this board and others, it is no longer the case. If anything longer cruises even in Europe seem to have many cruisers looking for ways to deal with airline weight restrictions and the fact that Celebrity does not have self service laundrys..
Actually, the major airlines have not changed their weight restrictions in quite a while. They did institute nominal fees for bags weighing more than 50 pounds but less than 70 pounts in addition to the fees for checked luggage (also pretty nominal), but I have never had a problem with either of my suitcases exceeding the lower weight limit.

Having taken cruises in Europe each of the last two years, I can't say that I have noticed such an impact. In fact, just the opposite -- I have noticed a lot of passengers from the United Kingdom, nearly all of whom wore traditional "black tie" outfits (including quite a few Scotsmen with their "black tie" and kilts) on the "formal" evenings.

That said, it's also possible that some passengers are now renting formalwear so they don't have to pack dress clothing in the hope of eliminating a suitcase. If so, that might actually cause an increase in the number of gents who don "black tie" rather than business suits.

Quote:
Europe also is attracting lots of families and they certainly are not looking to bring formal clothes for the kids... Probably more wishful thinking on his part and there is nothing wrong with that.
I can't say that I noticed such a difference in the demographics between my most recent cruises and my earlier cruises to Europe. But in any case, nearly all of the youngsters that I have seen on Celebrity have been properly dressed in the evening.

OTOH, both of my recent cruises were in the fall (October-November), however, when most children are in school. I know that cruises during the summer months, during school vacation, tend to have more children onboard.

Quote:
It would not surprise me if at anytime Celebrity adopted Azamara's policy of Smart Casual every night.
I really don't foresee that. Celebrity has too many passengers who choose the line because it retains the traditional "formal" evenings. Such passengers would go to another line of comparable cost if they perceived it to be dressier.

Norm.

Last edited by Rev22:17; April 30th, 2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old April 30th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Admiral

Thumbs down

Quote:
Don,

Don't post is only an opinion, too. But in this instance, Norm's "opinion" is based on personal observation rather than on reading what others have posted.

Actually, the major airlines have not changed their weight restrictions in quite a while. They did institute nominal fees for bags weighing more than 50 pounds but less than 70 pounts in addition to the fees for checked luggage (also pretty nominal), but I have never had a problem with either of my suitcases exceeding the lower weight limit.

Having taken cruises in Europe each of the last two years, I can't say that I have noticed such an impact. In fact, just the opposite -- I have noticed a lot of passengers from the United Kingdom, nearly all of whom wore traditional "black tie" outfits (including quite a few Scotsmen with their "black tie" and kilts) on the "formal" evenings.

That said, it's also possible that some passengers are now renting formalwear so they don't have to pack dress clothing in the hope of eliminating a suitcase. If so, that might actually cause an increase in the number of gents who don "black tie" rather than business suits.

I can't say that I noticed such a difference in the demographics between my most recent cruises and my earlier cruises to Europe. But in any case, nearly all of the youngsters that I have seen on Celebrity have been properly dressed in the evening.

OTOH, both of my recent cruises were in the fall (October-November), however, when most children are in school. I know that cruises during the summer months, during school vacation, tend to have more children onboard.

I really don't foresee that. Celebrity has too many passengers who choose the line because it retains the traditional "formal" evenings. Such passengers would go to another line of comparable cost if they perceived it to be dressier.

Norm.

I have also made personal observations on Celebrity cruises, most recently in November and I still disagree with you.. As I stated, the posts I am reading are in the hundreds and consist of all the various itineraries and ships.

Celebrity may be a little more formal than other lines but they certainly are not what they used to be in the past. They consistently are inconsistent with the enforcement of their regulations. Additionally, their various web site pages are contradictory to other web pages and the dailies received on board. This has caused a great amount of confusion on the part of cruisers. Just one example of many that I can give is in their web site they request that cruisers maintain smart casual clothing in other venues even on formal nights. Numerous people have come back from cruises and I have seen the dailies where they say the dress code for the MDR is the dress code for the evening. Many people are stating they are bringing clothes to cover the smart casual code but are skipping formal nights based upon the web site. They get on the ship and the rule is contradictory and they don't have the clothes. Actually, the numbers of people skipping formal nights in the MDR is increasing greatly...

Customers are also coming back from cruises and posting on the board how funny in hindsight all the discussions about formality have been. They did not find the reality to be consistent with the threads on the various cruise boards...

Another point in case you are not aware is Celebrity has on their web site that the dress code for the specialty restaurants is the same as the dress code for the MDR. This is definitely not being enforced on any of the ships.

You can state that the airlines have not changed their weight requirements and you have not had a problem but the bottom line is many cruisers deem this as a severe problem. This applies to just about any cruise of 7 days or more. More and more, people are complaining of no laundry rooms on the Celebrity ships.

I still believe they will institute smart casual and probably within the next two years. Celebrity may still have a lot of loyal customers who like the ambiance however they are picking up many customers of other lines due to their smoking policy. I believe the one will basically wipe out the other and they will institute Azamaras policies.

I truly enjoyed the more formal atmosphere on Celebrity but those days are gone. I will still enjoy the Celebrity brand because the Solstice class ships are phenomenal, there is something for everyone.

By the way without causing a big problem, I think your use of the word You in your quotes is rude. I think most of us have our names available.

Don
Old May 2nd, 2010, 07:05 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjretired View Post
I have also made personal observations on Celebrity cruises, most recently in November and I still disagree with you.. As I stated, the posts I am reading are in the hundreds and consist of all the various itineraries and ships.

Celebrity may be a little more formal than other lines but they certainly are not what they used to be in the past. They consistently are inconsistent with the enforcement of their regulations. Additionally, their various web site pages are contradictory to other web pages and the dailies received on board. This has caused a great amount of confusion on the part of cruisers. Just one example of many that I can give is in their web site they request that cruisers maintain smart casual clothing in other venues even on formal nights. Numerous people have come back from cruises and I have seen the dailies where they say the dress code for the MDR is the dress code for the evening. Many people are stating they are bringing clothes to cover the smart casual code but are skipping formal nights based upon the web site. They get on the ship and the rule is contradictory and they don't have the clothes. Actually, the numbers of people skipping formal nights in the MDR is increasing greatly...

Customers are also coming back from cruises and posting on the board how funny in hindsight all the discussions about formality have been. They did not find the reality to be consistent with the threads on the various cruise boards...
There does seem to be a pattern to the relative formality or lack thereof, which is what I described in my original response. At the extremes, longer cruises in Europe and trans-Atlantic itineraries seem to be very dressy, while the dress code seems to have been scrapped completely on the four-night and five-night Caribbean cruises. The seven-night cruises to the Caribbean and to Alaska seem to be in between, with a noticeable minority of male passengers showing up for the "formal" evenings in sport coats and ties rather than in the requested "black tie" or business suits. On Celebrity, many of these people seem to be passengers on their first cruise, or at least their first Celebrity, whose travel agents had led them to expect something more casual.

On Celebrity's longer cruises of seven nights and longer, I have heard more than a few passengers express embarrassment that they were among what was clearely a minority of underdressed passengers after their travel agents or other people on a discussion board such as this had led them to expect that the overwhelming majority of passengers would not conform to the dress code. A person who conforms to the dress code won't be embarrassed in any case, to the best advice to give is to follow the dress code as published.

That said, I agree completely with your comment about inconsistency creating confusion. I really don't understand why the line is offering the four-night and five-night cruises, as they clearly are drawing a very different segment of the population that tends not to conform to the dress code, creating the very problem that you describe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Another point in case you are not aware is Celebrity has on their web site that the dress code for the specialty restaurants is the same as the dress code for the MDR. This is definitely not being enforced on any of the ships.
I have noticed that Celebrity's specialty restaurants have been a lot less full since the line dropped the synchronized service. There's really no reason to eat there now -- especially for a surcharge of $30.00 per person!

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
You can state that the airlines have not changed their weight requirements and you have not had a problem but the bottom line is many cruisers deem this as a severe problem. This applies to just about any cruise of 7 days or more. More and more, people are complaining of no laundry rooms on the Celebrity ships.
There were always some folks who ran afoul of the airline's weight limits. Invariably, they were the folks who insisted on bringing one big suitcase rather than two smaller suitcases. If you split eighty pounds fairly evenly between two suitcases, chances are that both will be under fifty pounds and there will be no surcharge at all for overweight baggage. If the split is not so even, the heavier suitcase probably will be under seventy pounds in any case so the surcharge will be only $20. If you pack the eighty pounds into one big suitcase, it will be over the seventy pound limit and the surcharge will be $150 on most airlines. The hefty surcharge for suitcases over seventy pounds is not new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I still believe they will institute smart casual and probably within the next two years. Celebrity may still have a lot of loyal customers who like the ambiance however they are picking up many customers of other lines due to their smoking policy. I believe the one will basically wipe out the other and they will institute Azamaras policies.
That's certainly a possibility, but the company is clearly moving to greater differentiation between the Celebrity Cruises and Azamara Club products. Azamara Club is now a separate subsidiary, and Celebrity is rebranding the previously shared signature facilities in the process of "Solsticizing" the fleet. Thus, I don't see Azamara Club as a harbinger of the future of Celebrity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
By the way without causing a big problem, I think your use of the word You in your quotes is rude. I think most of us have our names available.
I address the whole post to the person to whom I'm responding. Thus, the second person pronoun is proper English. You would not say, "Norm, Norm said...," when you mean the person to whom you are speaking. Rather, you would say, "Norm, you said..." in that context.

Of course, the "Originally posted by <name>:" format of the new boards is rather awkward in this context. The format "<name> posted:" would be more natural.

Norm.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 09:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to sergej

I cannot answer your question ,
normally I use not to write anything in the topic in that case.

But I am really very curious . why on Hell nord Amreican people
are interested on Formal night so much.

As they came to ship you think how can people
not only buy such tastless t-shirts, jeans , shoes etc.
but carry all that stuff on public.

they all as most west toursit
looks terrible in there ovesizeded , overwasched
cheap clothes from China .

Why on Hell is it so importnant for that people
to look nice (OK it would be not really nice, but not terible)
on 2 or 3 evenings on ship?

Who knows ?
Old May 4th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergej View Post

Who knows ?
I think that we, the people of the United States of America, are not so homogenous as your post seems to presume. The people whom you describe as "look[ing] terrible" in "oversized, overwashed cheap clothes from China" are not necessarily the same people who tend to cruise on lines like Celebrity.

Norm.
Old May 4th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Admiral

Angry American clothes from china

Quote:

Who knows ?
That is a complete insulting and snob comment by the writer.. I find that Europeans come over to the US and bring empty suitcases (or buy them here) and shop for name labels,, especially dungarees.. I've personally seen chartered planes from Europe come at Xmas time to have women shop because of the quality and huge variety of clothes for men, women and children.NOT available in E urope or South America or Asia... I would say more but I'm sure I'd be banned
Old May 5th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom View Post
That is a complete insulting and snob comment by the writer.. I find that Europeans come over to the US and bring empty suitcases (or buy them here) and shop for name labels,, especially dungarees.. I've personally seen chartered planes from Europe come at Xmas time to have women shop because of the quality and huge variety of clothes for men, women and children.NOT available in E urope or South America or Asia... I would say more but I'm sure I'd be banned

I couldn't agree more! I seem to recall that last year Paul Motter went to Europe for the inaugural cruise of the newest Princess (or NCL?) ship and did a daily report. I recall his comments on the Europeans dress code-or lack thereof . I'm sure there are many who do show some class-but certainly not this poster. He's probably the type who would show up on formal night in shorts......because they were "designer" shorts.
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old May 5th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Admiral

Just back from a short cruise on Eclipse, on formal night the dress code was well observed with traditional dinner suit/Tux being the majority..say 70%, the next 25% wore lounge suits with tie, of the remainder some had tried but didn't seem to quite manage it, some were those who just rebelled... tee shirt & scruffy jeans(single figures). One thing though....people don't seem to get the "smart" bit of smart casual!!
Old May 5th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Admiral

Cool Formal Nights on the Soltice Last Week

The two formal nights there was a preponderous of men in formal wear or dark suits and the women all dressed as we say to the nines..Nowhere did I see any evening a gentleman dressed in dungarees...or t-shirts.. Yes, the first night shorts were worn in our Blu Dining room and the Maitre D told me the gentleman hadn't gotten his luggage...Parrot Pop does wear a dark jacket and I dress formally..There is no doubt in my mind that after having in the recent year cruised NCL and Princess... that Celebrity is a bit classier then the ships we had cruised on the other lines...thankfully.. I'm tired of slobs going into dining room and I'm now questioning the Maitre D if I see somebody in dungarees... Then again I guess I'm "an old fogey".. and shake my head when I see a y oung lady with a mini-mini skirt up to the navel trying to sit down.. In thinking about it one night I realized....some of these slobs have no respect for themselves and how they present themselves. Norm.. you have taught me well..
Old May 5th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to sergej

>> at Xmas time to have women shop because of the quality and huge variety of clothes >>for men, women and children.NOT available in E urope or South America or Asia...

Yes I heard, a lot of people from Europe are making USA- shopping.

I was not everywhere but I saw in Tokyo, New York, London, Rome, HongKong, Paris,
Stockholm, Copenhagen, Barcelona, Lissabon... the same stuff the same firms as anywhere.

I would say there are all big clothes companies in HongKong,
or In Taipe (Taiwan) but even there I have not see any
stuff of good quality.

And all that clothes one could get in Germany too.

But if you need a great men socks you need to visit Egypt.

I visited some big well known shops in New-York - all what I saw was "made in China" stuff.
And it was really terrible.

So If one need some women/men clothes or men shoes - Germany is the best address
Men socks - Egypt.
Design men shirts (very expensive but seldom really gut quality) London

No "clothing" shopping In USA at all - all stuff for "normal" prize is "made in China".
All what one can get there is a great hole-punch (no chance even in Germany to get
such robust instrument - that was all what I get there, really best quality)
OK books, one can get really any book in USA - some art of eldorado!

(By the way Mcdonalds in USA are much better as in Europe!
one should never visit any Mcdonalds in Europe or Asia without testament)

OK, Italy – there must be some gut stuff , but I ‘ve never see any .

Sure pope in Vatican looks pretty fine with his red shoes any funny cap.

Only in Tokyo I saw some 2-3 nice shirts that I can not buy in any other
big town .

Last edited by sergej; May 5th, 2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old May 5th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Admiral

Default Shopping

Quote:
>> at Xmas time to have women shop because of the quality and huge variety of clothes >>for men, women and children.NOT available in E urope or South America or Asia...

Yes I heard, a lot of people from Europe are making USA- shopping.

I was not everywhere but I saw in Tokyo, New York, London, Rome, HongKong, Paris,
Stockholm, Copenhagen, Barcelona, Lissabon... the same stuff the same firms as anywhere.

I would say there are all big clothes companies in HongKong,
or In Taipe (Taiwan) but even there I have not see any
stuff of good quality.

And all that clothes one could get in Germany too.

But if you need a great men socks you need to visit Egypt.

I visited some big well known shops in New-York - all what I saw was "made in China" stuff.
And it was really terrible.

So If one need some women/men clothes or men shoes - Germany is the best address
Men socks - Egypt.
Design men shirts (very expensive but seldom really gut quality) London

No "clothing" shopping In USA at all - all stuff for "normal" prize is "made in China".
All what one can get there is a great hole-punch (no chance even in Germany to get
such robust instrument - that was all what I get there, really best quality)
OK books, one can get really any book in USA - some art of eldorado!

(By the way Mcdonalds in USA are much better as in Europe!
one should never visit any Mcdonalds in Europe or Asia without testament)

OK, Italy – there must be some gut stuff , but I ‘ve never see any .

Sure pope in Vatican looks pretty fine with his red shoes any funny cap.

Only in Tokyo I saw some 2-3 nice shirts that I can not buy in any other
big town .

IT must be wonderful to have the financial means to shop all over the world, unfortunately many of "working stiffs" and retirees to "shop for socks in Egypt"

In talking to Parrot Pop about this thread he immediately wanted to know why European men wear the tiniest little Speedos with paunchies hanging over and women past a certain age and shape wear the tiniest of bikinis with shapes that American woman know better and cover up. and Sergej, I am deadly serious..Europeans seem to wear the skimpiest of bathing suits whether on a beach resort or around the pool on a cruise..
Old May 5th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Admiral

I don't really think what people wear on the beach or round the pool is any concern of anyone else however tasteless it may seem. It is a fairly general opinion among UK cruisers that Americans have less regard for formal dress codes than we do. On P&O for instance there could be 4 or 5 formal nights on a 16 night cruise, 98% of men would be in "Black tie"
Old May 6th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Admiral

Interesting path this discussion took. Given the $$$ and the opportunity, I'd buy my entire wardrobe in Europe rather than North America. We've always found Europeans better dressed than Americans which is probably why they don't understand the fuss about formal night, they just dress well naturally.
Old May 6th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Admiral

johnthed0g,

Quote:
I don't really think what people wear on the beach or round the pool is any concern of anyone else however tasteless it may seem.
I don't hear anyone saying that the attire is improper; only that some of the people who are wearing it are not exactly the best of fashion models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
It is a fairly general opinion among UK cruisers that Americans have less regard for formal dress codes than we do. On P&O for instance there could be 4 or 5 formal nights on a 16 night cruise, 98% of men would be in "Black tie"
American society is far from monolithic. Celebrity tends to draw a very high percentage of Americans who like to dress up for "formal" evenings, except on the four-night and five-night cruises to the Caribbean, whereas Carnival and NCL tend to draw a high percentage of Americans who prefer NOT to dress up.

And invariably, there always seem to be some people who are cruising on Celebrity for the first time who simply did not realize that the norms on Celebrity are different than on some of the other lines. The misinformation comes from different sources -- sometimes from travel agents who are not really familiar with Celebrity, sometimes over confusion of names after their friends describe experiences on Carnival, and sometimes from not realizing that there are significant differences among the major cruise lines after hearing their friends decribe their experiences on just about any other cruise line.

But on my last cruise, I met a couple young ladies (probably in their 20's) who were most embarrassed because they did not expect the "formal" evenings to be so dressy -- and they were Brits!

Norm.
Old May 6th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Admiral

Trackypup,

Quote:
Interesting path this discussion took. Given the $$$ and the opportunity, I'd buy my entire wardrobe in Europe rather than North America. We've always found Europeans better dressed than Americans which is probably why they don't understand the fuss about formal night, they just dress well naturally.
Actually, it seems to be quite easy to find nice clothing here in the States. It's just a question of getting to the right stores. Deb, Cache, Lord and Taylor, and J. C. Penney, all found in many major malls, usually have a selection of very nice dresses suitable for "formal" evenings in stock. For gents, J. C. Penney also offers exceptional value on tuxedos that really do look well-made, too (though I prefer the white dinner jacket in warm weather).

Norm.
Old May 6th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Admiral

People WERE using beach wear as a criticism of European dress standards, I feel this is irrelevant.
People in their 20's don't expect anything, they don't usually have the experience.
Despite what may be said I have had more discussions about dress code with Americans than anyone else, mostly of the "it's my holiday I will wear what I want" variety. But the "is a sport coat a dinner jacket" has come up as well as tedious "my jeans cost more than your cheap Tux"
On my recent cruise the only real "problem" was not formal night but what some seemed to think was "Smart" casual. (all nationalities)