Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 23rd, 2010, 12:27 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to phantomcat

Have had very negative experiences with the NCL Free (from service) Style) food. Holland has always offered a superb cuisine.
Old October 3rd, 2010, 08:43 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_the_cat View Post
We wre on the Solstice last week. Gorgeous ship but the food in the MDR - not good at all. One of the worst we've ever had in fact. It was lukewarm at best. Not one night had roast beef. Shrimp cocktail is number one with me and I did have a double every night. The bread was good. Other than that, nothing to write home about for sure.

Now, the Murano, wonderful. We so thoroughly enjoyed our one evening there and, if we could have got in earlier in the week, probably would have eaten there every night.

We also had one dinner in Silk Harvest. It was OK but not the type of food we usually eat.

We tried dinner in the buffett one night - ended up walking out after barely touching it. It was terrible.

Back to the MDR, service was terrible. It took forever to get our order taken, I was only able to order a drink on the first night then the waiter never showed again. I tried asking our regular waiter to send the drink waiter over but that was a waste of breathe.

As you can see, we were awfully disappointed in the food on the Solstice.

I am sorry you had a bad cruise. My wife and I disembarked from the Solstice on Sept 13, and the service in the MDR was awful! The food was generally good my wife did say her lobster was overdone. The desserts were not very good in comparison to our pervious cruises. The steaks were very good, but I think the food was better on Princess and HAL. My wife and I had partially eaten desserts delivered to our table. I posted the review under reader reviews but if you would like to read the entire review I will post it here.

My wife and I had a great time on the Century but after our experience on the Solstice I do not think we will return to Celebrity anytime soon.
Old October 3rd, 2010, 08:50 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by usha View Post
I agree whole-heartedly, Suse. I really thought HAL's buffet food was much more varied and interesting than Celebrity's. Celebrity still edges HAL out in the main diningroom, and blows them right out of the water with their specialty restaurants.
Of course food is subjective. I think HAL is superior in the MDR, and I really do not think their specialty restaurants blow HAL out of the water. Pinnacle and Tamarind are amazing. Silk Harvest and Murano were very good too. But overall I give the edge to HAL. Overall, Celebrity has more options in terms of specialty restaurants fleet wide. HAL is has many different options on their ships.
Old October 5th, 2010, 05:30 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
On my April 2010 cruise on Solstice I found the food to be on par with HAL and Royal Caribbean. It was good but not great in the main dining room and I did not eat in any of the specialty restrauants.

Going back on Solstice in July in Aqua Class so will eat in Blu and will try the other specialty veneues. Hope to report back that the food was outstanding
As I have written on my review (not posted yet) I was disappointed in the MDR food, not to mention the service or lack of it. it lacked that WOW factor..that we have always experienced..Tuscany Grill...don't bother..but Murano... oh Murano, to die for. Yes, we were in Aqua Class and there were many healthy alternatives.. The meats were wonderful..osso bucca, rack of lamb (Muranos), lamb shank, black angus steak (only thing decent in Tuscany)..didn't try the oriental or any other place.. What I have said is that I wish instead of parading the Chefs around on the Soltice they stayed to taste the food. Hopefully when we go on the Equinox, regular class..lol..the food will have that special WOW factor in the main dining room at night. I guess it depends on the Chefs how they interpret a recipe. Blu was a lovely experience and presentations were to die for
Old October 5th, 2010, 05:34 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
On my April 2010 cruise on Solstice I found the food to be on par with HAL and Royal Caribbean. It was good but not great in the main dining room and I did not eat in any of the specialty restrauants.

Going back on Solstice in July in Aqua Class so will eat in Blu and will try the other specialty veneues. Hope to report back that the food was outstanding
As I have written on my review (not posted yet) I was disappointed in the MDR food, not to mention the service or lack of it. it lacked that WOW factor..that we have always experienced..Tuscany Grill...don't bother..but Murano... oh Murano, to die for. Yes, we were in Aqua Class and there were many healthy alternatives.. The meats were wonderful..osso bucca, rack of lamb (Muranos), lamb shank, black angus steak (only thing decent in Tuscany)..didn't try the oriental or any other place.. What I have said is that I wish instead of parading the Chefs around on the Soltice they stayed to taste the food. Hopefully when we go on the Equinox, regular class..lol..the food will have that special WOW factor in the main dining room at night. I guess it depends on the Chefs how they interpret a recipe. Blu was a lovely experience and presentations were to die for

Old October 5th, 2010, 05:58 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddwilson View Post

Old October 5th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Admiral

Question Comments-coincidence

[QUOTE=daviddwilson;1321149]As I have written on my review (not posted yet) I was disappointed in the MDR food, not to mention the service or lack of it. it lacked that WOW factor..that we have always experienced..Tuscany Grill...don't bother..but Murano... oh Murano, to die for. Yes, we were in Aqua Class and there were many healthy alternatives.. The meats were wonderful..osso bucca, rack of lamb (Muranos), lamb shank, black angus steak (only thing decent in Tuscany)..didn't try the oriental or any other place.. What I have said is that I wish instead of parading the Chefs around on the Soltice they stayed to taste the food. Hopefully when we go on the Equinox, regular class..lol..the food will have that special WOW factor in the main dining room at night. I guess it depends on the Chefs how they interpret a recipe. Blu was a lovely experience and presentations were to die for

.. the comments above are almost exactly word for word what i wrote about our Soltice cruise in April (it is posted btw)we too were in Aqua Class) and experienced Murano to our delight and Tuscany Grill, big disappointment.. and I do agree that the WOW factor wasn't there AND each Chef interprets a recipe differently..Will be fun to compare Soltice food to Equinox in two weeks..

____
Old October 5th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Familiar Face

[QUOTE=watchurdiet;1321299]..Will be fun to compare Soltice food to Equinox in two weeks..

I'm going to watch for ur review when u get back concerning the Equinox..... I want to know everything about it from someone who's been on it already..... Happy Sailing!!!!!!
Old October 5th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Admiral

[QUOTE=watchurdiet;1321301]
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchurdiet View Post
..Will be fun to compare Soltice food to Equinox in two weeks..

I'm going to watch for ur review when u get back concerning the Equinox..... I want to know everything about it from someone who's been on it already..... Happy Sailing!!!!!!

My Soltice Review (as well as my NCL Gem) was written with an honest eye...warts and all...with any "whoops" and love notes ...Loved the ship and did find somethings lacking.. Then again.. I will not read or plagerize other reviews of the ship before I write mine.. My little notebook is all ready in the suitcase. As DKJRETIRED SAYS.. there maybe disappointment in the MDR which we encountered on the Soltice, but I'm prepared with an open mind in a regular CC class cabin. In my head before a pencil hits the paper and I think I know how I want to start it off... and that's before embarking on the 18th..Several of the staff on the Soltice said they were transferring to the Equinox this fall, it will be nice to see a few of them again. WATCHURDIET-it appears cruising has changed in the past few years.not all for the better for long time cruisers.. so, until I can afford to cruise HIGH end cruise lines...Celebrity is what I believe cruising should be about.
Old October 15th, 2010, 12:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

Boy, I'll tell you, after reading all the negative reviews here, that our food and service in the MDR, last week, was wonderful. The food was some of the best we have ever had on a ship and the service was also. Now I understand that rating service and food is very subjective but I will say that our experience was no where near what previous posters have described. I will say that we are probably what some would call 'foodies' so we have a pretty wide range of experience when it comes to food, both cooking and dining. Not saying this for any reason other than to explain our background on the subject for the purpose of these comments. We thought that most dishes, at least the ones we had, were very well prepared and executed. I wish I could recreate some of the sauces they used. I even remarked to my wife that I was amazed they could do chicken dishes for a large number of guests (involving early prep and holding for sure) and that it was still moist and flavorful. And no, not everything was perfect. There were a few dishes some of our tablemates had that were on the cool side. And yes, the lobster was a little tough. But, it was not steamed Maine lobster, it was broiled rock tails and broiling always tends to make it a little tougher. Just a fact of the cooking method, though I personally like the broiled flavor. But for doing as many meals as they are doing, yes, there will always be a few less than perfect items...in ANY restaurant. And importantly, they were always happy to replace anything we were not happy with. Also, a few of the dishes may have been a little light on the salt but I'd rather have that and add a little, than have it too salty to start with...can't fix that.

Reading dining reviews, I get the distinct impression that some people, and I'm not refererring to anyone in particular, seem to expect total perfection in every dish, every time. With the number of dishes a ship needs to prepare, and the time frame in which to do it, that will never happen. It's just logistically impossible. But on this sailing, we found a great selection of dishes, delicious appetizers and soups, and overall (but yes, with a few glitches), a very good overall experience. About what we would expect at sea. In fact, maybe the best overall we have ever had on a ship.

As for service. Ours was just, great. The right amount of attention, prompt filling of glasses, changing service pieces, etc. No complaints at all. We also had excellent service from the bar waitress and wine steward. Frequently checking on our needs and very helpful with making choices (wine). I have to say that reading some of the other comments about service disasters, not finding waiters, being served half eaten food, etc., I'm both amazed (and sometimes maybe a bit dubious) about them. While we have definitely seen a range of service over the years, and have heard many stories from friends and family, we have never personally experienced anything that bad. Yeah, sometimes it's better than other times, but we've never seen some of the nightmare scenarios we've read about on these boards. Oh well, maybe we're lucky that way.

As I said, a lot of this is very subjective, and also based on your expectations going in. So I guess when you read a dining review, on any line or ship, that seems to swing wildly from one sailing to the next, I tend to think that it may be more a product of that subjectivity as opposed to the quality actually jumping from top to bottom one week to the next. But either way, it still beats bologna sandwiches and potato chips for a whole week.
Old October 15th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Admiral

While I completely agree about food being subjective, there are certain things you are saying that rather rub me the wrong way. I'm very glad you go the service you expected - I didn't. There are many from earlier in the year who will agree with me. Perhaps because of our complaints you were able to get good service.

I was onboard as a group of Travel Agents and the service was still terrible as was the cold and at time, uneatable food. I have sailed 30 times. Celebrity is now my line of choice.

However I do believe in going in with my eyes wide open. I do, as do most, have certain expectations. On the cruise I was on Celebrity met them all except in the dining room.

As I said, I'm glad you received both the food and service that made you content. That doesn't give you the right to tell the rest of us we are or were wrong.

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old October 15th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

First off, I wasn't critizing you (or anyone else) personally. The point I was trying to make is that reading criticisms of any kind on any of the boards, you have to take some of them with a grain of salt. Based on your post count, I'll have to assume that you too have had to notice that some of the things you read sometimes don't seem to wash. It's basic web knowledge that many things you read posted are, well, maybe not so true. but I wasn't trying to analyze webboards here. I was speaking in general about somtimes being suspicious of certain postings. i believe you that you had bad food and service and that is too bad. My experience was different.

When I was discussing expectations, I was simply saying that some people seem to have completely unrealistic expectations. Again, I was not referring to you or anyone in particular, just in general. We have personally seen this type of behavior on more than one occasion, as I would have to guess you have too. When you hear people nearby saying that "if they went overboard, no one should notify anyone" (actual quote we heard) you can guess what those people were like. And we have seen that on more than one occasion. I'm not saying anyone who has a complaint is lying, far from it. I'm just saying you have to read into them sometimes.

Finally, one of your comments made me remember something I once heard. Please, please, do not take this as an attack on you...it's not.You mentioned that you were with a group of travel agents, as if that would guarantee you better service. Well, we have aquaintences who worked on ships and I remember them telling me that as a rule, travel agents can be bigger problems than average passengers. And that whole tables of agents have been some of the biggest problem pax they see. It's just a thing that crewmembers know. And that just like anyone who works in almost any restaurant anywhere, if you give the staff a hard time....well, guess what kind of service you are going to get? Again,, not aimed at you and not true of every TA, just what we were told.

As I said, we have had less than stellar food and service in past sailings, just as we might at any given restaurant on land. But we try not to use individual instances as indictments against a whole ship or line. I think you'd agree that makes no sense. Sorry you had one of those bad experiences. I guess that can happen any time. This cruise, we had the opposite. And we were really impressed with Celebrity. I only hope that after posting this, I haven't put the bad mojo on us for our next cruise.
Old October 15th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmeister View Post

Finally, one of your comments made me remember something I once heard. Please, please, do not take this as an attack on you...it's not.You mentioned that you were with a group of travel agents, as if that would guarantee you better service. Well, we have aquaintences who worked on ships and I remember them telling me that as a rule, travel agents can be bigger problems than average passengers. And that whole tables of agents have been some of the biggest problem pax they see. It's just a thing that crewmembers know. And that just like anyone who works in almost any restaurant anywhere, if you give the staff a hard time....well, guess what kind of service you are going to get? Again,, not aimed at you and not true of every TA, just what we were told.
I chringed when I read this. I'm am so sorry to have to agree. I've seen it and been in the middle of that attitude. This last group were not like that but the group we were with prior to that caused my DH and I to leave the table and dine elsewhere after the second night.

Being an agent doesn't mean you are "special". I didn't mean for you to take it that way. I only said it because the wait staff knew it. The person who was entertaining us from hq was there every night. He was an extremely nice person and certainly didn't get on any staff member. But I suppose what I meant was - as we were with someone from HQ I would have expected the staff to be sure the food was adequate. Of course I expect them to do that with everyone. Oh dear, I'm not doing a good job of explaining myself.

We will be on Celebrity in December - I'm really hoping we see a huge improvement from May.

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old October 19th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

I know what you're trying to say and I thought the same thing. I know you didn't mean that you expected better service for your group, but at the same time, you would think that the line would try extra hard to please the people who are selling their product and putting the 'butts in the seats'. I would have to guess that if your group was having problems, then the whole dining room probably was aslo having issues to one extent or the other. And that is just a complete breakdown in standards. And if that was the case, maybe they have addressed those issues. It happens in every industry from time to time and maybe that's a true measure of the organization, not so much that they can keep everything perfect all the time, but that they can, and will, fix things when problems arise.

As I was thinking about all this, something popped into my head that I thought might be funny to mention, and an indication on how some people's minds work(or don't work). We were having lunch in the Oceanview Cafe(actually 2 weeks ago today) and my wife and I heard this guy talking to his wife. We could tell he was griping about something and pretty soon we ended up next to them in line. He had also gotten louder and it turned out he was complaining about the deli meats. Oceanview has a section where they have all kinds of deli items and breads and you can make a sandwich or they will make you one (and even cook it) for you. Well, this guy was having some type of problem with the deli meats, we didn't hear the beginning but he kept saying over and over that they were 'terrible' and a 'disgrace' and that they cheapened the whole "look" of the Oceanview. We weren't sure if he had an issue with the meats on the Solstice or a personal issue with deli meats on the whole, but he kept saying it made the place look bad and that he was going to write strongly worded letters to the president of Celebrity as well as the captain and a number of others. Maybe the meat colors clashed with the decor. I don't know. But it was pretty funny to see this guy having a fit over deli meat. And on a related note, they had pastrami that was outstanding. it didn't seem to be any pre-packaged stuff but appeared to have been freshly roasted and sliced just before serving. I ate a ton.

Anyway, I got your point and hopefully you'll find things more along the lines that we did when you go. Now if I can figure out how to get those Corning people to sell me one of the glass pieces they made. Wow.
Old October 20th, 2010, 10:26 AM
First Mate

Smile

Many times those who are constantly complaining are making it miserable for those around them and in addition they are most likely doing the same thing at home. We started cruising in the late 50,s from Miami and have some 50 cruises thru the years and have seen about everything in the complaining category.Sometimes it is necessary to ask them the following and see what,s the response?"Does this not beat staying at home?"Most of the time there is not much to say to this and you can guess what my response is if their answer is no. We will be on the Solstice in Jan and will be taking advantage of discount offered to us because of virus on Mercury last year and for the record we heard very few complaints even though we left a day late. They put us up at new Marriott,$50 in cash for missing lunch the first day and 2 days shipboard credit even though missed only one day and a future credit which I mentioned above.
Old October 20th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by big apple View Post
Many times those who are constantly complaining are making it miserable for those around them and in addition they are most likely doing the same thing at home. We started cruising in the late 50,s from Miami and have some 50 cruises thru the years and have seen about everything in the complaining category.Sometimes it is necessary to ask them the following and see what,s the response?"Does this not beat staying at home?"Most of the time there is not much to say to this and you can guess what my response is if their answer is no. We will be on the Solstice in Jan and will be taking advantage of discount offered to us because of virus on Mercury last year and for the record we heard very few complaints even though we left a day late. They put us up at new Marriott,$50 in cash for missing lunch the first day and 2 days shipboard credit even though missed only one day and a future credit which I mentioned above.
I don't think that because someone doesn't like something, and in the particular case we are discussing food, they are constantly complaining. One of the most absurd statements I do hear in the one you are using about "bat staying at home or at least I don't have to cook." That has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the food a cruiser is paying for.

I'm glad Celebrity handled your problems with the Mercury so well. However it has nothing to do with the food which is what we are discussing here.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old October 20th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Familiar Face

Chipmeister,

I am sorry you feel dubious about my comment on the half eaten dessert. Maybe if I post the letter from Celebrity concerning the incident will help you understand that I am not being "dubious." Or you can contact the two passengers sitting next to me who saw the dessert and have them explain to you that I am not being "dubious." My experience with Celebrity was not up the standards I experienced on other cruise lines. The service was awful. Food was good overall but have a half-eaten dessert delivered to my table is simply wrong. Sure Celebrity delivered a plate of chocolate covered strawberries to my stateroom in an attempt to apologize. The fact remains I arrived to dinner to find my table missing, given to another couple!!! I will post my review here so you can read it. I am not a complainer and posted several positive comments in my review. But whether you believe it or not, I have a legitimate complaint.

Here is my review. – You can also view it on the member’s review or cruise critic.

This was our seventh cruise overall and our second time with Celebrity. We cruised previously with Princess, Royal Caribbean, NCL, Carnival, and Holland America. Our first experience with Celebrity was beyond expectations, so we embarked on the Solstice with even higher expectations.

Because we live in South Florida, getting to Fort Lauderdale was no big deal. We arrived at the Port Everglades around 2:00 p.m. and we were on board the Solstice within 20 minutes

Once on board, we were greeted with a glass of champagne and then went directly to our room. Our room was very clean and well maintained. Our room was a verandah cabin on the Vista deck. While in our room, we met our room steward, Bernardo. While many aspects of this cruise did not live up to our expectations, Bernardo was well above our expectations and continued to impress us throughout our vacation.

The ship itself was very well maintained. However, my wife and I noticed some of the bathrooms were dirty. There was oxidation on the wood, probably due to sea spray. While this is common, it is something we did not observe on our previous ships.

Service - Service was very slow in the MDR. On our first night, they served a desert with crème puffs filled with praline ice cream. My wife asked for just praline ice cream and she was told by our server that he did not know if that was possible and needed to consult the chef. As far as I am concerned, they had praline ice cream, so it did not seem like a drastic request. On previous cruises, we were escorted to our table and my wife’s chair was pulled out for her. This did not happen on the Solstice the first several nights. We spoke with the maître d and were moved to a smaller table with a new server, Luis. Luis was amazing. He did everything right and made up for some of the shortfalls we experienced and witnessed. One evening, we showed up twenty minutes late for dinner due to a family issue at home. When we entered the MDR, we noticed our table was gone. It was discovered later that the table was used by other passengers. After several minutes of confusion, we were escorted to a different table away from Luis. Other than water, our drinks were not refilled. The majority of the time our drinks sat empty. If was obvious the staff was spread very thin. The same night, we were given petit fours along with our main desserts. When our dessert arrived, I noticed the chocolate covered strawberry had been partially eaten. My wife brought this to the attention of the assistant server. His reaction was to inform her that there were no more chocolate-covered strawberries. He did not take away the dessert or try to replace it. When we brought it to the attention of the lead server (again, not Luis), he said that they often sample foods and make sure the samples they eat are taken away to avoid this type of problem. The next day, we spoke to the restaurant manager and maître d who offered to comp a night in one of the specialty restaurants. Although they addressed the issue, the stigma was still there. We received complementary chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of champagne in our room. While standing in line at the Mast Grill , my wife was passed over four times for service.

Stateroom - The stateroom was beautiful and the bathroom was exquisite. However, the closet space is minimal, perhaps the smallest on any cruise we’ve experienced. When we unpacked, we noticed there were only ten hangers. For a 7 day cruise, this is not enough and we had to request more. Bernardo brought us extra hangers within minutes. The bed was not as comfortable as on previous cruises but it was nothing to snub our noses at. Although we did not hear many noises from the hall, we could hear the conversations and T.V.s from the adjoining staterooms.

Dining:

Murano - Great service and great food. The steak was not really any better than the MDR. Plus, we really preferred to sit with Luis as he was just as attentive as the server in Murano.

Silk Harvest - Awesome experience, great food and amazing service. I have shell fish allergies and the chef went out of way to make springs rolls leaving out the fish sauce. I did not ask anyone to make this accommodation; they just did it for their guest.

MDR - Appetizers and entrees were awesome and Luis was exceptional. Neither of us cared for most of the desserts, but I was able to have ice cream each evening to satisfy my sweet tooth. Service for breakfast and lunch was very slow and spotty. We overheard one waiter tell a guest that they were very understaffed.

Room Service - I am sure they are very busy, because they took a long time to deliver the food. Often, the order was incorrect. My wife ordered a bottle of champagne and was informed it would be in our stateroom in approximately twenty minutes. After three days, we gave up on ever receiving it. At least we were not charged for it.

Buffet - The food was delicious and there was a large selection. However, it was the same selection each day and after several days, the redundancy became unappetizing.

Pools - The pools were nice and the hot tubs were very relaxing. The pool decks were busy on sea days but we always managed to find a place to settle down. The solarium was beautiful and a nice reprieve from the main pool area.

Entertainment - The entertainment ranged from fantastic to amateurish. The dancers for the production shows were pretty good. The acrobats were outstanding and talented. The comedian, James Stephens III was really funny and the best entertainment on the ship. In addition to being funny, Mr. Stephens was a genuine and good person. He sets aside profits to assist struggling children with education. The juggler was awful and it was almost painful to sit through his show. We would have left early but this was the one show we decided to sit close to the stage. We felt sorry enough for him that we didn’t want to embarrass him by leaving. On our previous Celebrity there was always something to do. On this cruise, we found ourselves very bored. There was a lack of activities during the day and very few venues for entertainment. Celebrity could take advice from Princess where there is always something to do. This trip certainly lacked fun activities.

Fellow Passengers - While the vast majority of guests adhered to the rules and regulations, there were some that lacked any class. Our first day, we saw a girl walking around in her bra (not a bathing suit top). We saw guest swearing jean shorts to dinner and, on more than one occasion, guests were admitted to the MDR in swimwear and bikinis. We heard of one passenger being thrown off the ship in Puerto Rico due to a fist fight the night before. I understand Celebrity cannot control everything but certainly dress code is one thing they can enforce. If I wanted to dress as wish, I would go back on NCL, but Celebrity clearly outlines their dress code in their brochure.

Ports :

San Juan - We spent the day touring historic San Juan. San Juan was a blast and our only complaint is we did not have more time here.

St. Thomas - I did the SCUBA excursion through the cruise line. The trip was chartered through Underwater Safaris out of St. Thomas. These guys were great and the trip was a blast. The water was calm with great visibility and good company. I would highly recommend this excursion if you are a SCUBA diver.

St Maarten - My wife and I went shopping for gifts then spent the remainder of the day laying on the beach. I rented a jet ski and for an hour and had a blast. It was a very relaxing day.

Announcements - The only announcements were the imperative ones. My wife and I like to sleep late and it was nice not being woken up to redundant announcements.

Unfortunately our Celebrity experience this time was not up to par with our previous cruise experiences. We will likely cruise on Celebrity again; however, it’s not on the top of our list for near future cruises. We relaxed, ate plenty of great food, and spent time with friends. Any day at sea is better than a day home
Old October 20th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddwilson View Post
If you have a review I would love to read it.
Old October 20th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Familiar Face

Default River cruising

Felix:

We were on Danube cruise in Nov 08, on Amadeus Symphony, by Gate 1.

The food was out of this world, and service was excellent. Space for 140 passengers, but only 86 on board.

You will enjoy the food. Every night, the food was of the region we were sailing thru. Dining room on back of ship, only 10-12 feet above Danube. Wrap around 3 sides, and the ship was moving very slowly. Also, wine and beer was at no charge!

Quite different from the mass feedings on the cruise megaships.

PapaBear
Old October 21st, 2010, 11:27 AM
Admiral

Default Thanks Papa Bear

We are really looking forward to the river cruise. The owner of the agency I work for has just returned from her first river cruise and she agrees with you, the food was outstanding.

She too said they only had about 85-86 people so you really did get to know the people you were cruising with.

We are really looking forward to a cruise where we shouldn't have any problems at all with the food. There are just too many complaints these days on all the mass market cruiselines. I for one believe, believe that as long as people accept poor/mediorce food they will continue to supply it and will continue to let it slide downhill until the passengers revolt.

There are far too many excuses being made for poor quality food - not by the cruiselines but by the passengers. I believe we have a right to expect quality and properly prepared food.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old October 21st, 2010, 01:52 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_the_cat View Post
There are far too many excuses being made for poor quality food - not by the cruiselines but by the passengers. I believe we have a right to expect quality and properly prepared food.
Felix:

I completely agree with this statement. It is one of my pet peeves. The cruise lines will give passengers what they "tolerate". I have seen too many instances where people "tolerate" poor quality and improperly prepared food because they don't want to look like a complainer or a "Debby or Donny Downer". This attitude has resulted in an overall decline in food on most lines.

If it isn't right. Let them know about it. Don't complain just to complain but make sure you are receiving well prepared food.

It worked for "Ranch Steak".

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me