Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 20th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Admiral

Default Is Mercury gone...

Below is a link to an article related to the speculation that Merucry will be transferred to TUI as the second ship of that line..

Will Celebrity Mercury become second ship of TUI Cruises?
Sponsored Links
Old May 20th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

This ship will be missed by many...she was very popular....we sailed her around 03/04,and realy enjoyed the cruise, and, the ship...my only complaint was the low ceilings in the atrium area....I love open spaces..this ship,I was the only woman at our dining table....a first for moi

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 24th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Admiral

Don,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
Below is a link to an article related to the speculation that Merucry will be transferred to TUI as the second ship of that line..

Will Celebrity Mercury become second ship of TUI Cruises?
I expect so. The absence of published schedule and the fact that this ship has not received a specialty restaurant, as MV Celebrity Century did, are both strong indications that she is going away.

That said, Dan Hanrahan declined to confirm plans to transfer this ship when I chatted with him last Thursday.

Norm.
Old May 24th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I do believe TUI will take possession of Mercury sometime next year. There has been speculation about this since Galaxy left and Century received her multi-million dollar upgrades.

There have been reports of TUI being onboard Mercury and "checking her out".

I am sad to see this. Mercury was my first and will always hold a special place in my heart. I've sailed her twice and loved each sailing. She is a great sized vessel and I personally loved the spa and the Thalassotherapy pool.

I hope she stays with Celebrity but I doubt that my hopes will come true.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 24th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Admiral

I love the Mercury. We have sailed on her three times and would do it again, but now it does not look like that we will be able to.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old May 24th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Admiral

A lot of us picked up on the lack of a specialty restaurant after it came out of its last renovation, I believe in 2007. Century had already been done and when they put Mercury in for the work and it didn't have the restaurant, it was very telling.

Also, there have been several reports from passengers that on a recent Mercury cruise a number of apparent workers from TUI were on board. They were taking pictures, measurements and were apparently very vocal about their intentions.
Old May 25th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Admiral

Don,

Quote:
Also, there have been several reports from passengers that on a recent Mercury cruise a number of apparent workers from TUI were on board. They were taking pictures, measurements and were apparently very vocal about their intentions.
That's certainly another indicator!

Also, from an economic standpoint, it certainly makes sense for sister ships to be under the same brand and operational control.

FWIW, MV Celebrity Century really is not a true sister of MV Celebrity Mercury and the former MV Celebrity Galaxy. I think that these ships were originally ordered as sisters, but that Celebrity subsequently modified the contract to make the second and third ships larger. Unfortunately, the marketing folks never caught up to the change and continue, wrongly, to refer to all three vessels as the Celebrity Century class.

Norm.
Old May 26th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17 View Post
Don,

That's certainly another indicator!

Also, from an economic standpoint, it certainly makes sense for sister ships to be under the same brand and operational control.

FWIW, MV Celebrity Century really is not a true sister of MV Celebrity Mercury and the former MV Celebrity Galaxy. I think that these ships were originally ordered as sisters, but that Celebrity subsequently modified the contract to make the second and third ships larger. Unfortunately, the marketing folks never caught up to the change and continue, wrongly, to refer to all three vessels as the Celebrity Century class.

Norm.
I have always disagreed with you on this and I guess the problem is how do you define a sister ship. Having been on all three when they were new, I can tell you before their makeovers the three ships were more alike than they were dissimiliar. All the room were basically the same. The only two differences were they added a small section which is most visible outside the dining room and the addition of the balconies on Mercury and Galaxy. This was done because balconies became popular. As I said other than that all the rooms etc were all the same and in the same places....They were all ordered at the same time and the most important point is Celebrity considered them sister ships...
Old May 26th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Admiral

dkjretired,

Quote:
I have always disagreed with you on this and I guess the problem is how do you define a sister ship.
In standard maritime usage, the term "sister ships" means that the ships built on identical hulls with substantially the same plans. There may be some differences in configuration and use of interior space, but a hull that's about 10% larger clearly defines a new class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Having been on all three when they were new, I can tell you before their makeovers the three ships were more alike than they were dissimiliar. All the room were basically the same.
That's completely irrelevant. The fact remains that the ships are built on different hulls, and thus are not properly called sisters. MV Galaxy/Mein Schiff and MV Mercury/Celebrity Mercury are about ten percent larger than MV Century/Celebrity Century. Here are the relevant dimensions for MV Celebrity Century (post-expansion) and MV Celebrity Mercury from the cruise line's web site.

MV Celebrity Century
Occupancy: 1,814
Tonnage: 71,545
Length: 815 ft
Beam: 105.6 ft
Draught: 25 ft
Cruise Speed: 21.5 kts

MV Celebrity Mercury
Occupancy: 1,886
Tonnage: 77,713
Length: 866 ft
Draught: 25.5 ft

So even after the addition of cabins and a "duck tail" that increased displacement, MV Celebrity Mercury is still 8.6% larger and 6.3% longer than MV Celebrity Century and still carries about 4% more passengers. The beam and draught are less significant, as Panamax and other navigational issues constrain these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
The only two differences were they added a small section which is most visible outside the dining room and the addition of the balconies on Mercury and Galaxy. This was done because balconies became popular.
The trend toward more standard cabins with balconies was already well in the works before Celebrity Cruises ordered MV Century. But in any case, I would not regard the addition of balconies as enough of a difference to define a new class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
As I said other than that all the rooms etc were all the same and in the same places....They were all ordered at the same time and the most important point is Celebrity considered them sister ships...
But in reality, there's about as much similarity of layout between MV Celebrity Millenium and MV Celebrity Galaxy as between MV Celebrity Galaxy and MV Celebrity Century.

Norm.
Old May 27th, 2010, 07:14 AM
Passenger

I think it may gone.
Old May 27th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Admiral

Quote:
dkjretired,

In standard maritime usage, the term "sister ships" means that the ships built on identical hulls with substantially the same plans. There may be some differences in configuration and use of interior space, but a hull that's about 10% larger clearly defines a new class.

That's completely irrelevant. The fact remains that the ships are built on different hulls, and thus are not properly called sisters. MV Galaxy/Mein Schiff and MV Mercury/Celebrity Mercury are about ten percent larger than MV Century/Celebrity Century. Here are the relevant dimensions for MV Celebrity Century (post-expansion) and MV Celebrity Mercury from the cruise line's web site.

MV Celebrity Century
Occupancy: 1,814
Tonnage: 71,545
Length: 815 ft
Draught: 25 ft

MV Celebrity Mercury
Occupancy: 1,886
Tonnage: 77,713
Length: 866 ft
Draught: 25.5 ft

So even after the addition of cabins and a "duck tail" that increased displacement, MV Celebrity Mercury is still 8.6% larger and 6.3% longer than MV Celebrity Century and still carries about 4% more passengers. The beam and draught are less significant, as Panamax and other navigational issues constrain these.

The trend toward more standard cabins with balconies was already well in the works before Celebrity Cruises ordered MV Century. But in any case, I would not regard the addition of balconies as enough of a difference to define a new class.

But in reality, there's about as much similarity of layout between MV Celebrity Millenium and MV Celebrity Galaxy as between MV Celebrity Galaxy and MV Celebrity Century.

Norm.
As someone who was around then, the hulls were the same with the exception of a small 20foot area. The ships are absolutely identical in locations of rooms. The trend towards cabins just started when Century was being built and Galaxy and Mercury were built is why they put the balconies on the ships.

Sorry, but the ships are more identical than they are not, bottom line is it doesn;t matter anymore but the ships were considered the same class. When you posted that in the past you confused people who were looking at the ships...You are also the only person who I have ever heard say they were not the same class..
Old May 28th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjretired View Post
As someone who was around then, the hulls were the same with the exception of a small 20foot area.
That's not true. There's a 40' difference in overall length even after the addition of the "duck tail" to the stern of the smaller vessel, giving her a few more feet in length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
The ships are absolutely identical in locations of rooms. The trend towards cabins just started when Century was being built and Galaxy and Mercury were built is why they put the balconies on the ships.
Well, substantially similar is closer to the truth. The differences in interior configuration are substantially more than you indicate. By way of example, MV Celebrity Century has eight standard inside cabins served by the port passageway between the forward stairs and the "Guest Relations" desk whereas MV Celebrity Galaxy has nine. The areas allocated to the "Guest Relations" desk and the "Grand Foyer" also are much larger on the latter vessel, providing space for a different configuration of the central stairway in the "Grand Foyer." In terms of layout, it appears that they really stretched each section of the design except perhaps the bow section by about eight or ten feet to create the additional space.

But from the perspective of the naval architects and ocean engineers, this "stretch" is far from trivial. It requires a significant amount of engineering analysis to verify that the new hull is structurally sound and that it meets the necessary bouyancy and stability criteria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Sorry, but the ships are more identical than they are not, bottom line is it doesn;t matter anymore but the ships were considered the same class.
Only by Celebrity's marketing department. The use of the term

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
When you posted that in the past you confused people who were looking at the ships...You are also the only person who I have ever heard say they were not the same class..
Rather, it's Celebrity's marketing staff who created confusion by misusing the word "class" in their literature. In the nautical sense of the term, MV Century/Celebrity Century simply is not of the same class as MV Galaxy/Mein Schiff and MV Mercury/Celebrity Mercury.

Now, if one were to say that MV Celebrity Century belongs to the same generation of cruise ships as MV Celebrity Mercury or something similar, or that these vessels have a similar design, I would not take exception to that. I will, however, take exception to misuse of a word that has a specific meaning when that meaning does not fit.

Norm.
Old May 28th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Admiral

Quote:
That's not true. There's a 40' difference in overall length even after the addition of the "duck tail" to the stern of the smaller vessel, giving her a few more feet in length.

Well, substantially similar is closer to the truth. The differences in interior configuration are substantially more than you indicate. By way of example, MV Celebrity Century has eight standard inside cabins served by the port passageway between the forward stairs and the "Guest Relations" desk whereas MV Celebrity Galaxy has nine. The areas allocated to the "Guest Relations" desk and the "Grand Foyer" also are much larger on the latter vessel, providing space for a different configuration of the central stairway in the "Grand Foyer." In terms of layout, it appears that they really stretched each section of the design except perhaps the bow section by about eight or ten feet to create the additional space.

But from the perspective of the naval architects and ocean engineers, this "stretch" is far from trivial. It requires a significant amount of engineering analysis to verify that the new hull is structurally sound and that it meets the necessary bouyancy and stability criteria.

Only by Celebrity's marketing department. The use of the term

Rather, it's Celebrity's marketing staff who created confusion by misusing the word "class" in their literature. In the nautical sense of the term, MV Century/Celebrity Century simply is not of the same class as MV Galaxy/Mein Schiff and MV Mercury/Celebrity Mercury.

Now, if one were to say that MV Celebrity Century belongs to the same generation of cruise ships as MV Celebrity Mercury or something similar, or that these vessels have a similar design, I would not take exception to that. I will, however, take exception to misuse of a word that has a specific meaning when that meaning does not fit.

Norm.
I respectfully disagree, I'm done....
Old June 5th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Passenger

Default I'm So Sad

The frist cruise that my husband and I ever took together was on Mercury. It was so romantic that we even got engaged after 5 years of dating. Better book again quick if we want to get another peek at her.