Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 20th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Admiral

Debra we who like Celebrity enjoy our cruises.

You enjoy bashing us. I guess that we all have to get something out of life.

I will say this having fun beets beeing permanently upset.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old September 21st, 2010, 06:49 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Debra View Post
I can appreciate the motivation of the group of those who don't want any new readers to know about this problem. I guess I would wonder what would motivate people to be so eager to keep such information from new readers, but that is another story. But in the end it is not "BS" as one poster so "charmingly" chose to put it, but rather a case of a cruise line sailing ships that they knew were defective and not informing prospective passengers of this fact.

I have yet to read a single post from any of the Celebrity Champions who thought there were any problems with fairness, honesty or integrity with a company like Celebrity quietly passing on a known defect (known to Celebrity) of the Millennium, Infinity or Summit, to unsuspecting consumers.

It kind of sounds like politics, when you don't have any good argument against a fact or something that your favorite company has done that was wrong, just make ridicules statements and try to attack the messenger.

For those who love Celebrity or own stock in the parent company, that is great and they should keep right on sailing with that company. For those who are here for information check it out for yourself by doing a search on "Mermaid Pods" and you will see the unvarnished truth about the long, long history of this problem. Only then can you make an informed decision about whether or not this problem is important to you.

Debra
Old news, you made your point a couple of months ago, perhaps someone owns stock in another cruise line such as Princess or maybe works for that cruise line. Don't make accusations unless you can prove them, ie: stockholders...

I think there is a definite problem here with fairness, integrity, and honesty but it is not on Celebrity's part...I stuck up for you when you originally made your comment but this is too much, get over it...
Old September 21st, 2010, 08:14 AM
Admiral

Smile Celebrity

Let me say.. I DO NOT own stock or work for Celebrity or RCI and I have only been on FOUR Celebrity cruises most of which have been trans-atlantics and look forward in less than a month to a 13 day cruise on the Equinox.

WHY I LOVE CELEBRITY CRUISES

C-classic old fashioned cruising-no water slides
E-entertainment found in the little niches around the ship
L-lifestyle programs-Corning Glass Show (winner)
E-excursions to exotic ports-Casablanca, Marrakesh
B-benefits offered to loyal cruisers-became Elite quickly
R-restaurants-especially the Murano
I-innovative-grass lawn..now being copied by another line
T-treatments at their Aqua Spa-
Y-youth programs that include children with special needs

I'm sure many other fans of Celebrity have their reasons..
Old September 21st, 2010, 06:04 PM
Admiral

Nurse Debra,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
I can appreciate the motivation of the group of those who don't want any new readers to know about this problem.
Actually, quite the opposite. They are very eager to ensure that every newcomer is well informed of the real problem -- that is, a poster who is acting like some combination of a spoiled brat throwing a tantrum because she did not get her way and a deranged psychotic who somehow thinks that sabotage and extortion will cause a cruise line to capituale and cough up a fat contribution to her personal bank account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I guess I would wonder what would motivate people to be so eager to keep such information from new readers, but that is another story.

Far from keeping the situation from new readers, they are honestly telling new readers about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
But in the end it is not "BS" as one poster so "charmingly" chose to put it, but rather a case of a cruise line sailing ships that they knew were defective and not informing prospective passengers of this fact.

The facts about the propulsion failures on all four ships of the GTS Celebrity Millennium class have been all over this site since the first breakdown. All a reader has to do is go through the board and read the posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I have yet to read a single post from any of the Celebrity Champions who thought there were any problems with fairness, honesty or integrity with a company like Celebrity quietly passing on a known defect (known to Celebrity) of the Millennium, Infinity or Summit, to unsuspecting consumers.
The next time that one of these propulsion failures endangers ship, passengers, and crew will be the first. In fact, I'm not aware of any incident on any cruise line owned by Celebrity's parent company, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., which has posed such a danger. All of the affected ships have two shafts, and none of the failures have affected both at the same time.

I cannot say the same for Carnival Corporation, the parent of Carnival Cruises, Princess Cruises, P&O Cruises, Holland America Lines, Costa Crociere, Cunard Lines Ltd., and several other cruise lines. Several years ago, that company had a series of shipboard fires, complete losses of propulsion, and other major safety incidents that ultimately resulted in dismissal of a vice president. In several of the incidents, ships of competitors' lines actually came to the rescue, transferred the passengers from the ships that were in trouble, and brought the passengers to safety in the nearest port. More recently, there were three particularly eggregious incidents aboard the ships of Princess Cruises -- the balcony fire aboard MV Star Princess which actually caused a death and caused cancellation of several cruises for repairs and installation of additional fire detection and suppression systems (19 March 2006), an engine room fire aboard MV Royal Princess (18 June 2009), and the sudden heel aboard MV Crown Princess due to some combination of mechanical failure and human error (18 July 2008).

Sure, I was not personally affected by those incidents -- and I also am not about to take any chance whatsoever of being affected by such incidents! This former naval officer's next cruise will be aboard a ship that is safe -- GTS Celebrity Millennium!

And when it comes to investing, my money is going into the stock of the company with the better safety record, too!

Norm.
Old September 21st, 2010, 07:16 PM
Admiral

Thank you Norm..
Old September 21st, 2010, 08:47 PM
Admiral

Don,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
Thank you Norm..
I'm not sure what I did, but... You're welcome!

Norm.
Old September 21st, 2010, 08:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom View Post
Let me say.. I DO NOT own stock or work for Celebrity or RCI and I have only been on FOUR Celebrity cruises most of which have been trans-atlantics and look forward in less than a month to a 13 day cruise on the Equinox.

WHY I LOVE CELEBRITY CRUISES

C-classic old fashioned cruising-no water slides
E-entertainment found in the little niches around the ship
L-lifestyle programs-Corning Glass Show (winner)
E-excursions to exotic ports-Casablanca, Marrakesh
B-benefits offered to loyal cruisers-became Elite quickly
R-restaurants-especially the Murano
I-innovative-grass lawn..now being copied by another line
T-treatments at their Aqua Spa-
Y-youth programs that include children with special needs

I'm sure many other fans of Celebrity have their reasons..

Excellent post !

I could not have said it any better.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old October 23rd, 2010, 04:25 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
I was so impressed with Solstice back in April that I rebooked in July. Beautiful ship, good food but entertainment not great.
We are big Celebrity fans and were on the Soltice when they had major entertainment problems (read my review on t his board) and I have to admit the ship was to die for..food okay.. but the E.D. needs to be replaced.. and some of the acts were horrible. That said.. entertainment in the lounges was wonderful, jazz, piano player in Michaels, etc. We are booked on the Equinox and I just love being spoiled rotten by Celebrity. Oh yes.. food on all lines in the cruise ship industry isn't what it was before.. but be sure to book Murano for an experience to die for..
Old October 23rd, 2010, 10:01 AM
Admiral

I have not changed my opinion of Celebrity and we will be sailing on her in December, however I see once again they are having problems and had to cancel a cruise after one day.

They really should be doing something more concrete about this problem.

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old October 23rd, 2010, 02:53 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_the_cat View Post
I have not changed my opinion of Celebrity and we will be sailing on her in December, however I see once again they are having problems and had to cancel a cruise after one day.

They really should be doing something more concrete about this problem.
Felix:

You are confusing this with the POD problem. CEntury suffered a broken rudder which had nothing to do with the pods, a problem only on the M class ships. Century is not an M class ship. Two totally different things.
Old October 23rd, 2010, 11:51 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Debra View Post
Snowman,

You are soooo right! Each of us can sure have a personal opinion about what cruise line we prefer and sadly some do go on a cruise just looking for small things to complain about. While I would give a slight edge to Princess over HAL, either one would suit me just fine.

I had sailed Celebrity five times, along with Princess and HAL, but would not go near Celebrity after the major problems that I encountered while onboard the Summit and the ensuing total lack of care by the home office of Celebrity.

If one was going to try Celebrity I would only recommend trying one of the newer ships and would definitely recommend passing on the older Celebrity ships.

As far as the food on Celebrity, my opinion is that it is very close to other mass market cruise lines. Even though Celebrity did get rid of their head Chef several years ago and there have been some cuts in the food department, I don’t see anyone having any problem finding something good to eat on Celebrity.

Debra
I had a very negative experience with the Solstice. I will not go back on Celebrity. Princess and HAL have the edge in my opinion.
Old October 24th, 2010, 02:35 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom View Post
Now if your going to tell me that Travel and Leisure is a "snob" magazine...again..what does everybody consider the travel magazine for the "unwashed masses"?

Travel and Leisure just listed their TOP TEN CRUISE LINES....
1. Crystal
2. Regent Seven Seas
3. Oceania
4. Disney
5. Azamara
6. Cunard
7. CELEBRITY
8. Holland America
9. Royal Caribbean
10.PRINCESS..

Was surprised to see Cunard so low
I do not know how accurate these ratings are. Like our opinions, these ratings are based upon the authors subjectivity. Everyone has a favorite and everyone has a bias. Porthole magazine rated HAL as top cruise line several years in a row. Although I had a bad experience with Celebrity I still had many enjoyable experiences on that particular cruise. I just feel HAL and Princess suit me better. Conde nast gave very high marks to individual ships of HAL and Celebrity but neither line made their best list.
Condé Nast Traveler Gold List 2010: The Best Cruise Lines

Just goes to show how accurate these list are.

My personal opinion is we allow brand loyalty to trump anything else. I would still enjoy cruising any cruise line with any of the posters on here more than working .
Old October 24th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjretired View Post
Felix:

You are confusing this with the POD problem. CEntury suffered a broken rudder which had nothing to do with the pods, a problem only on the M class ships. Century is not an M class ship. Two totally different things.

Yes, I do understand that - just pointing out the cancellation due to problems with the system. Have you heard what actually was the problem with the rudders?

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old October 24th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Yes, I do understand that - just pointing out the cancellation due to problems with the system. Have you heard what actually was the problem with the rudders?
They must have hit something because both went out which from what I have read would be astronomical odds for them to both go out at the same time.

It might also be pointed out that they had a "perfect storm" with this problem. Not only did they break down but they broke down in a tender port meaning everyone and their luggage had to be off loaded by tender.

Adding to the problems were the on going strikes that week in Europe which made things much more difficult.
Old October 24th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Admiral

Quote:
They must have hit something because both went out which from what I have read would be astronomical odds for them to both go out at the same time.

It might also be pointed out that they had a "perfect storm" with this problem. Not only did they break down but they broke down in a tender port meaning everyone and their luggage had to be off loaded by tender.

Adding to the problems were the on going strikes that week in Europe which made things much more difficult.

It was a terrible week and you're right - the perfect storm. It must have taken hours and hours to get everyone and their cases off. I'm not sure a full refund and 25% is going to cut it for a lot of those passengers though. It was only the second day of their holiday. However I'm sure we'll hear a lot more.

Personally, I would have headed for a train to get into England or even rented a car to get to the cost and catch a ferry but I'm sure the majority either just wanted to go home or would not have known to do that.

It will be interesting to hear at some point what they did hit though.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old October 24th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Admiral

Quote:
It was a terrible week and you're right - the perfect storm. It must have taken hours and hours to get everyone and their cases off. I'm not sure a full refund and 25% is going to cut it for a lot of those passengers though. It was only the second day of their holiday. However I'm sure we'll hear a lot more.

Personally, I would have headed for a train to get into England or even rented a car to get to the cost and catch a ferry but I'm sure the majority either just wanted to go home or would not have known to do that.

It will be interesting to hear at some point what they did hit though.
Trains weren't running due to strikes, that was a major problem..
Old October 25th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Trains weren't running due to strikes, that was a major problem..

I thought not which is why I mentioned trying to rent a car. If not I guess one tries to get a hotel and hold up for a couple of days.

Just another huge reason to have insurance.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old October 25th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Admiral

Quote:
I thought not which is why I mentioned trying to rent a car. If not I guess one tries to get a hotel and hold up for a couple of days.

Just another huge reason to have insurance.
Your right about the car, finding a hotel and especially having the insurance. I know Celebrity was able to get some buses to get people places but from what I've read it was a horrible situation...
Old October 28th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorramide7 View Post
We are big Celebrity fans and were on the Soltice when they had major entertainment problems (read my review on t his board) and I have to admit the ship was to die for..food okay.. but the E.D. needs to be replaced.. and some of the acts were horrible. That said.. entertainment in the lounges was wonderful, jazz, piano player in Michaels, etc. We are booked on the Equinox and I just love being spoiled rotten by Celebrity. Oh yes.. food on all lines in the cruise ship industry isn't what it was before.. but be sure to book Murano for an experience to die for..

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old November 1st, 2010, 05:00 AM
Admiral

Wink The one and only parrot mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
I'm confused...this is word for word what Parrot Mom said a few pages earlier... are there two of you?
NO, there is only one Parrot Mom.. and the words were copied... BTW I've just disembarked the Equinox,less than 24 hours ago and let me tell you....what a superb ship....food, service and all....The best cruising experience EVER... YES, I will write about it as soon as I unpack.
Old November 5th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to Atlanta_Cruiser

Hi,

Not sure how old this post is, but thought I would throw my 2 cents in. I have been on several cruises and will be doing my first Celebrity cruise in May, 2011. Norm had some good points. It really all depends on you.

I went on the Brilliance of the Seas for a 10 day Panama trip. I sat at a large table with one lady who complained about the food every night I was seated in the dining room, but I thought the meals were pretty okay. I also paid the extra $20 a few times and ate at the specialty restaurants. So here are my thoughts: The food in the main dining room is like a nice dinner at a friends house. Some friends you love thier cooking and some friend's cooking you just choke it down and enjoy the conversation. If you want to upgrade, then pay the extra and enjoy a nice quiet and fancy meal in one of the specialty restaurants.

I hope that helps.