Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 6th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Captain

Default Need Help..Equinox Med. cruise

We are on the Equinox on July 5 out of Civitavecchia. I'd like to know:
1. Which nites are formal nites...11 nite cruise
2. Is it easy to change dollar to euros on the ship, and is there a limit? (We are bringing euros, but will probably need more.)
3. Equinox is suppose to dock at 4 a.m. when we return. What time can
we expect to be off the ship if there are no delays. We were told that
we could catch an 10 a.m flight and ours is 11 a.m...so we will have to
be off quickly.

Any other advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Anxiously awaiting our cruise,
Lou
Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
2. Is it easy to change dollar to euros on the ship, and is there a limit? (We are bringing euros, but will probably need more.)
be off quickly.

Anxiously awaiting our cruise,
Lou
Lou,

You will have two formal nights on this cruise. They are usually the first sea day and the second to last day of the cruise.

The ship may exchange Euros but I have always found that their fee negated any savings. I advocate using a local ATM and getting the Euros you will need onshore and using your Visa/Amex card for major purchases. Just like the commercial says: Visa is accepted in more places than American Express.

Though the ship may "dock" at 4:00 a.m. it will be more like 8:00 a.m. before disembarkation begins. Make sure you fill out your disembarkation questionnaire, that you will receive, early or mid-cruise so Guest relations knows you have an early flight. You "should" get early disembarkation. If you are docking in Civitavecchia an 11:00 a.m. flight is cutting it close. The airport is about an hour from the port.

Have a great cruise and enjoy your time on Equinox.
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 6th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Captain

Thanks Mike. I know there are 2 formal nights, I thought maybe someone could
tell me exactly which nights they are.

We've never cut it this close on a flight before, so we'll just have to wait and see
Lou
Old June 7th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Admiral

Mike,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
Though the ship may "dock" at 4:00 a.m. it will be more like 8:00 a.m. before disembarkation begins. Make sure you fill out your disembarkation questionnaire, that you will receive, early or mid-cruise so Guest relations knows you have an early flight. You "should" get early disembarkation. If you are docking in Civitavecchia an 11:00 a.m. flight is cutting it close. The airport is about an hour from the port.
In Civitavecchia, they usually begin disembartion around 6:00 AM or earlier because most of the flights from Leonardo di Vinci International Airport in Fiumicino to the States leave before 10:00 AM.

Norm.
Old June 7th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Admiral

Lou,

Quote:
The second night and the next to last night are almost always "formal" evenings. If there's a third "formal" evening, it will be either a day at sea, if there is one, or a day on which the ship leaves port early that's about midway between the second night and the next to last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Your best option is to use MasterCard or Visa for purchases over 20 Euros, as they offer the best exchange rate and some degree of consumer protection. Note, however, that many vendors in Europe will not accept credit cards for small purchases due to the fees charged by the credit card companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
be off quickly.
In reality, cruise ships begin the disembarkation process very early in the port of Civitavecchia because many of the flights to North America from Rome's Leonardo da Vinci International Airport in Fiumicino depart before 10:00 AM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
If it's not too late, I strongly recommend booking a couple nights at a hotel in Rome though the cruise line. In the past, I have found the Crowne Plaza St. Peters's to be a very good choice, as this hotel situated directly behind the Vatican on Via Aurelia Antiqua has a complementary shuttle to the heart of town and a complementary morning shuttle to the airport that's well-timed for flights to North America. The cruise line's hotel package includes the transfer from the pier to the hotel, and you won't have to leave the ship nearly so early. Also, the cruise line has staff at the hotel to coordinate optional tours of Rome's major attractions for the cruise line's guests who are staying there.

Norm.
Old June 7th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Captain

Thank you Norm, for the excellent information. I checked again with Celebrity and they assured me that if my flight was after 10 a.m., we were OK.

We've already decided on a hotel near the Spanish Steps. Didn't realize that thru
the cruiseline, shuttles, etc. were included. I thought their prices were alittle high,
but now seem more reasonable.
Old June 8th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Admiral

Lou,

Quote:
Thank you Norm, for the excellent information.
You're welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I checked again with Celebrity and they assured me that if my flight was after 10 a.m., we were OK.
Yes, that's true. You may well be getting up at 4:00 for disembarkation at 6:00, but schedule-wise you're fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
We've already decided on a hotel near the Spanish Steps. Didn't realize that thru
the cruiseline, shuttles, etc. were included.
I actually was thinking of staying after the cruise rather than before, but I have done it both ways in Rome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I thought their prices were alittle high,
but now seem more reasonable.
Yes, it's important to ask what's included when dealing with quotes from a cruise line, as the cruise lines often include some "extras" most of their customers are looking for seamless arrangements.

>> Celebrity's hotel packages always include the transfer from the hotel to the pier (pre-cruise) or from the pier to the hotel (post-cruise).

>> And if you book your air through Celebrity, the air package includes the transfers from the airport to the pier or to the pre-cruise hotel and from the pier or post-cruise hotel to the airport.

When you add in the value of the transfers, the prices for these packages are generally reasonable. When you don't, they seem steep.

The other thing to remember is that Celebrity's hotel packages do not stay at inexpensive hotels. Most of the hotels are the top of the line or pretty close to it.

Norm.