Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 11th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Insurance, insurance, insurance

Ok. There are those who never take insurance. I do. Let me tell you a brief story. I missed my cruise. Atlanta airport shut down. Yikes. Missed my connection, missed a standby, uh oh, trouble ahead. Yup, I missed my cruise! It was a May cruise, no snowstorms, go figure. Thunderstorms!
Well, we have always traveled a day ahead and did not this time. Missed it by minutes.
Well, everything that could go wrong did, from the Delta crew being late, to them waiting for the beverage cart (aaaaahhhhh) to the door not opening when we got there because it couldn't. Yikes.
Buy insurance.
Really. We got some reimbursement today. Do it. Take it from me.
Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2010, 06:21 AM
Captain

Red face Insurance

We've done 31 cruises so far. We have always bought insurance, EXCEPT ONE TIME! It was a San Diego - Hawaii round trip in 2007.

Of course, that was the time we needed the insurance (late arriving in San Diego due to medical emergency which forced us to return to Hawaii).

Missed our flight, had to rebook, one more night in hotel, food, etc. Cost us a little under $1,000.

I told our TA to automatically add insurance to all future cruises. Small price to pay.
Old June 12th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Admiral

Default Insurance/Early Arrival

After booking the cruise and travel insurance... the next item is a pre-cruise at least one night before any cruise..One year we decided to forgo a pre-cruise and arrived after a late departure from the US and arrived in Barcelona catching the second to last bus to the ship. On our last cruise met a gentleman due to circumstances had to fly to the Grand Caymens to pick up the ship...no pre cruise hotel/motel and everything worked against him and his family.. Needless to say he was NOT a happy cruiser..since...as you know..it was his responsibility to get to the ship on time.
Old June 12th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

All examples so far have been based on air travel, so those are very valid; however, if you driving to the port ones need for insurance is much less. If I'm flying I always consider it, but if driving to my local port I don't.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old June 12th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Passenger

A lot more credit cards now have trip cancellation/interruption as well as medical. The annual fees are a bit higher, but even if you travel once a year you still come out ahead.
Old June 12th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

We did end up staying in Miami for 2 days, which was very nice, and then flew to Grand Caymen to meet the ship. All was not lost but receiving the insurance check yesterday was sweet.
We've taken 12 cruises and have used the insurance twice. Once, my husband got sick at the last minute, and then this time.
I would never book a cruise without it.
Thanks for your replies.
Old June 12th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman View Post
All examples so far have been based on air travel, so those are very valid; however, if you driving to the port ones need for insurance is much less. If I'm flying I always consider it, but if driving to my local port I don't.
We NEVER fly.... but always get insurance. We're both in our 70's and have to consider health issues. Have submitted claims twice in 13 cruises, once for medical and once for damaged luggage. And, God forbid, there's always the chance of an accident, car problems, bad weather etc. The reimbursements we got don't cover what we've paid in premiums over the years but ya just never know
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old June 12th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Admiral

We ALWAYS get insurance. Has nothing to do with the fact we have to fly, well, that certainly isn't the only reason.

May 22, 2009 we were suppose to sail from Seattle to Alaska. May 7, 2009 HD had a near fatal heart attack.

Insurance paid everything back. In addition, the hotel we had prepaid in Seattle for 2 days was suppose to be non-refundable yet when they heard what happened gave us a complete refund.

INSURANCE - INSURANCE - INSURANCE.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old June 14th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I have to agree...driving vs flying has nothing to do with the insurance..I want the protection for medical evacuation first and formost. All the other coverage comes behind this. For the inexpensive cost, usually for us, around $100.00, we can have peace of mind.

I do know people who had to use this, and thankfully they had insurance...just recently someone I know, came home from a cruise, on a Sunday , by Wednesday he was in an induced coma, awaiting a heart trransplant. Had the situation that brought him to this point, happened just a few days prior...he would have needed to be transported.

I am not a gambler at all when it comes to this issue.....if your own insurance covers this type of event,& it's redundant, no need...but if not, it's a no brainer.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 29th, 2010, 09:40 AM
First Mate

Default Insurance

I would never travel without it. Of the few cruises we have taken so far we had to use it when my wife hurt her back and we could not fly to Barcelona.

Insurance refunded entire cruise cost and Delta fee to redeposit frequent flyer miles back to the account....

Tulum Mexico Resort Reviews

Splendour of the Seas 97
Veendam 05
Westerdam 06
Serenade of the Seas 07
Liberty of the Seas 07
Jewel of the Seas 08
Westerdam 09
Volendam 09
Solstice 10
Solstice 10
Caribbean Princess 11
Nieuw Amsterdam 11
Oasis of the Seas 12
Queen Elizabeth 12
Eurodam 13
Carnival Valor 13
Carnival Fantasy 14
Constellation 14
Old June 29th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Admiral

We had to cancel a May vacation due to my surgery .Thank goodness that we bought cancellation insurance .Two weeks after filing the claim we received 100% reimbursement of our expenses
Old June 29th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Insurance really isn't needed for cancellation. It's good to have but it isn't what is the most important. If for some reason you miss your cruise the most you are out is the cost of the cruise and travel expenses. The money is already spent and though it is terrible that you won't be able to take your vacation you won't go to the poor house because of it.

What will send you to the poor house is if you suffer a major health issue or injury while you are at sea or in a foreign country. This can set you back an easy six figures. This can really hurt the retirement account and/or put you in the poor house.

I believe that too much emphasis is put on cancellation and not enough on the costs associated with becoming ill outside of the U.S.. Most insurance policies do not cover you outside of the U.S. Even young, healthy people get injured. Insurance isn't just for older people and those with health problems.

Many people think their insurance does and never bother to verify if this is true or not. Check your health insurance policy. Verify where you are covered and how much they will pay. If you aren't covered get insurance. It's worth the time before hand rather than the heartache afterward.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 29th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Admiral

My secondary health carrier (medicare is primary) covers me anywhere on the planet .If I were to suffer an illness a claim would be filed with the carrier prior to the travel insurance .The policy that I took out was specifically termed cancellation insurance although there was a provision for illness .
Old June 29th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Admiral

I agree that the cancellation is not as important as the medical however, (at least here) it comes as a package and the price difference isn't worth talking about therefore it's better to take the complete package.

In Canada we all have medical insurance based on the province in which we live. But leaving the province is another issue. Some employers have do provide coverage for out of country for a certain number of days but I always suggest you find out exactly what that covers. Before I retired the only information I could get is "you have a million $$". Sounds good but they never would tell me exactly what I was covered for.

Now I'm retired and working as a travel agent so I make darn sure we have insurance before we leave the province.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old June 29th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Admiral

I personally designed the insurance for my former employer .Insureds and retirees have a $3million dollar lifetime benefit .To my knowledge no person has come close to hitting the maximum .
Old June 29th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Years ago in the 80's, we traveled from NYC to Bermuda. I had a health issue and wound up in sick bay for an entire day back from Bermuda to NYC. We did not have travel insurance. Upon disembarking in NYC, I received an RCCI statement including my medical bill ($1,000 for an entire day in sick bay!). I eventually was able to have it reimbursed by my insurance carrier but not without mega issues. Now, I always carry insurance even for a 3-5 day cruise. On a trip from San Diego to Hawaii roundtrip, our cruisemate had a very serious issue and they had medical insurance, a good thing!

So, I say, take the travel insurance and bite the bullet. You never know...

Skipper's Mom
SW Florida
Old June 30th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
My secondary health carrier (medicare is primary) covers me anywhere on the planet .If I were to suffer an illness a claim would be filed with the carrier prior to the travel insurance .The policy that I took out was specifically termed cancellation insurance although there was a provision for illness .
Henry brings up a very good point that many are not aware of. Medicare does not cover you out of country and in many cases they will not let you leave the country until the bill is satisfied...
Old July 8th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Familiar Face

You never know. Several years ago, a couple of friends stopped for several days in Kenya. Then they flew on to Israel. Within 6-hours after arriving in Israel, one became extremely ill. Taken to Hadassah Hospital in Jerusalem. He was diagnosed with the worst strain of malaria, and almost died. Later, after a long recovery, he told me he did not have travel insurance! If his symptoms had developed a few hours earlier, he would have been in Kenya, without insurance!

PapaBear