Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 12th, 2010, 02:01 AM
Beginner

Default Booked for Summit to NE/Canada -- all tips welcome!!!!!

We are newbies booked for 7 nights on Summit to NE/Canada. "We" means us and our 3 kids (13,6,4) in a FV aft and spouse's parents in their own cabin. We are looking for any and all tips from all you experienced CruiseMates -- what excursions to do or avoid, kids activities, dining recommendations, etc etc.

THANK YOU all in advance!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Admiral

Default First hint

Let me give you the hint for Boston with y our group...the DUCK TOUR...I'm sure Trip wll have ideas too, but the Duck Tour will be a blast.. you are in an amphibious vehicle and tour Boston and then enter the Charles River going up and down the Charles.. we learned more about Boston and the Charles than we thought we knew as Bostonians.. Yes, you can make reservations on line which are probably less expensive, but they fill up fast. Have friends doing this itinerary too. I'll let everybody else chime in..oh yes. Newport can be done on your own...there is a tourist bureau to the right when you get off the tenders.. Don't know how the kids will like touring the mansions, but others may.. there is one mansion that has actors in it and you become part of it when you walk through..I;m sure other can fill you in about Bar Harbor or is it Portland and Halifax and St. John... you can write me.. parrotmom@verizon.net for more info
Old June 14th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Admiral

pvillechalet,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
We are newbies booked for 7 nights on Summit to NE/Canada. "We" means us and our 3 kids (13,6,4) in a FV aft and spouse's parents in their own cabin. We are looking for any and all tips from all you experienced CruiseMates -- what excursions to do or avoid, kids activities, dining recommendations, etc etc.

THANK YOU all in advance!!!!
GTS Celebrity Summit is a fantastic ship, with great facilities for the youngsters and a completely separate area for teens! Mom & Dad should have plenty of time to relax!

I presume that your itinerary bypasses Newport and Boston, but it calls in Portland and Bar Harbor, Maine, and in Saint John, New Brunswick, and Halifax, Nova Scotia.

>> All of the destinations have a variety of noteworthy historical architecture and nearby coastal areas with lighthouses, as well as opportunities for various boat excursions. Of course, you'll need to consider what your youngsters can handle in making a selection.

>> Portland, Maine's largest city, is best known around New England as the home of L. L. Bean and the host to a good collection of outlet stores. Unfortunately, Maine also has the highest sales tax in New England so it is not the state in which to shop. If you want to shop at outlets, look for a shore excursion to North Conway, New Hampshire, where there's NO sales tax, instead. (The most unique tour here may well be the Mount Washington Cog Railway, which goes right past the North Conway malls en route but does not stop. The real drawback of this tour, though, may well be the fact that you'll spend two hours on a motorcoach each way.)

>> Bar Harbor is a tourist mecca that's known for its lobster fests. If you get chance, go to one! (There is a shore excursion that combines a lobster fest with a tour of Acadia National Park.)

>> Forget swimming in the ocean, unless you have wet suits. The whole area is fed by the polar "Labrador Current" so the waters usually are frigid even at the end of August. Use the ship's pools instead.

I can't give you any recommendations for either of the Canadian ports, as I have never been to any of Canada's "maritime provinces."

Beyond that, the ship's shore excursions will give you a pretty good idea as to the main attractions in the area.

Norm.
Old June 15th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Admiral

Default Canadian Cruises

A few of the itineraries go to St. John and Halifax......Halifax we have been to twice and the the first time.. and t his may seem morbid.. we hired a guide/
driver and he took us to the graves of the Titanic Victims..it was on the top of a hill with a bagpiper playing.. It was a memorable visit, the graves stones set like the bow of a ship and the little graves of the unknown, especially the children... then the guide told us about the big molasses explosion that forever bonded Boston and Halifax.. then down to the Citadel for the noon shooting of the cannon....back down the hill to the museums, glass shops, etc.. Halifax is a wonderful colorful college town and much to see. On the other hand.. as you sail into St. John's you will be greeted by the Lord Mayor who will hand the women a rose and the men a pin... there is/was a welcoming vendors area and bagpipe there.. St. John's is very laid back.. we took the free bus into the center and went to the Reversing Falls and eventually walked down.. and there was a tug boat taking you back to the center of the city and tourist area with seals swimming around the boat. You can walk up the street to the City Market and then have lunch in the tourist area,,, but here is a big hint.. and ask the locals about it.. walking back to the ship..on the left hand side set back is a lobster shack..yummy..St. John and Halifax.. two different cities, one quiet and staid and the other swinging with all sorts of pubs.. Oh yes.. in Halifax as you get off the ship there is a meandering walk with all sorts of local musicians, artists and craft people..

Last edited by Parrot Mom; June 15th, 2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old June 15th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I will have to agree, with Parrot Mom, the Duck Tour is a great take in for the kids...www.BostonDuckTours.com..a few of the highlights include:U.S.S. Constitution, Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market, Cheers, and make way for ducklings..& sooo much more.

You could also check out these 2 tour options: www.graylinecom or
www.trustedtours.com

Whatever you decide, Boston is an easy walk about city..

In St John, we dis a tour that tok us to the Bay of Fundy, and the area where the ships dock is delightful..nice shops and places to eat!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 15th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Admiral

Default Duck Tours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I will have to agree, with Parrot Mom, the Duck Tour is a great take in for the kids...www.BostonDuckTours.com..a few of the highlights include:U.S.S. Constitution, Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market, Cheers, and make way for ducklings..& sooo much more.

You could also check out these 2 tour options: www.graylinecom or
www.trustedtours.com

Whatever you decide, Boston is an easy walk about city..

In St John, we dis a tour that tok us to the Bay of Fundy, and the area where the ships dock is delightful..nice shops and places to eat!
Trip.. we are in Boston quite often..including today and I love the Duck Boats and even for adults it's a great take in.. After getting off...depending where they start... there are great places to walk around Copley Square (maybe the Farmers Market will be there), the Top of the Hancock if it's still opened.. and of course the seafood restaurants..and yes, Boston is a walkable city... of course you really can't walk back to the ships..lol..although I bet some people do..
Old June 24th, 2010, 01:51 AM
Beginner

Default Thanks for the tips!

One more question -- on another note: what is formal for kids? Do 6 and 4s need ties and button-downs, or are they expected to be tucked away in the kids club?
Old June 28th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Admiral

pvillechalet,

Quote:
One more question -- on another note: what is formal for kids? Do 6 and 4s need ties and button-downs, or are they expected to be tucked away in the kids club?
There is no distinction by age in the prescribed attire for the "formal" evenings. Thus, children should dress to the same standard as adults.

>> Girls should wear a suitable dress -- typically a "prom dress" for girls of high school age or a "party dress" for those who are younger. For young girls, some of the character dresses sold by the Disney stores in many major malls also are suitable.

>> Boys should wear either a "black tie" outfit or a business suit.

Note that many tuxedo shops rent formalwear in all styles for boys of all ages, as they frequently service "ring bearers" and "junior ushers" in wedding parties. The rental rates are typically much less than for adult suits.

Norm.
Old June 28th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Admiral

Default Lighten up

if your kids already have sports jackets/blazers or a suit.. there is no reason that they can't wear long pants and a shirt with tie..A thirteen year old.. well if it's a young lady she might enjoy dressing up..but little kids...
Old July 1st, 2010, 08:31 PM
Admiral

Sandra,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom View Post
if your kids already have sports jackets/blazers or a suit.. there is no reason that they can't wear long pants and a shirt with tie..A thirteen year old.. well if it's a young lady she might enjoy dressing up..but little kids...
Well, "long pants and a shirt with tie" probably would be tolerated and forgiven a lot more readily than jeans and a "T" shirt because... well, at least it shows some level of effort. Nonetheless, such attire is NOT proper for Celebrity's "formal" evenings.

Norm.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 11:58 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17 View Post
Sandra,

Well, "long pants and a shirt with tie" probably would be tolerated and forgiven a lot more readily than jeans and a "T" shirt because... well, at least it shows some level of effort. Nonetheless, such attire is NOT proper for Celebrity's "formal" evenings.

Norm.
The children will be fine in long pants and a shirt with a tie. Celebrity's on board dress codes no longer conform with what is on their web site. They enforce very few of their regulations and I was always one who stated that you should comply with the dress regulations. As long as you don't go crazy, there will not be a problem. Celebrity is not the "formal line" they used to be. I'm just trying to be realistic, I have been on recent Celebrity cruises and have read hundreds of posts on this board and others. The strict dress code and compliance is a thing of the past...
Old July 8th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Admiral

Don,

Quote:
The children will be fine in long pants and a shirt with a tie.
That probably depends upon the itinerary. Longer cruises tend to be dressier than shorter cruises, and cruises in Europe tend to be dressier than cruises of equal duration in the Caribbean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Celebrity's on board dress codes no longer conform with what is on their web site.
Do the ships actually publish something different than what's on the web site (in Celebrity Today, for example)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
They enforce very few of their regulations and I was always one who stated that you should comply with the dress regulations.
1. The fact that the cruise line does not enforce its published standards of dress does not mean that it is socially acceptable to ignore them. Failure to follow the public dress code is rude, whether it's enforced or not.

2. A cruise line has the right to step up enforcement of its published standards of dress at any time, without warning. Why take a chance?

Norm.
Old July 8th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Admiral

As I said, I am only dealing with reality. The European cruise are not different than others, I have seen dozens of posts on those cruises of people wishing to avoid formal nights due to weight restrictions on luggage, trips before and after the cruise and the I'm on vacation syndrome.
Celebrity does publish different information in their dailies than on their web site. Additionally, there are areas of the web site on the dress codes that contradict each other. An example that come to mind are cruisers reporting back and showing on boards the Daily which states the dress code for the evening is for the other major public rooms on the ship. This is contrary to what is in the web site.
I agree with you on the last point, the cruise line can change their policies at any time. They had better change their web sites though because they are contradictory. I also agree that it is not socially acceptable but if the cruise line doesn't care, why bother...As we have so often said, they are the hosts and if they don't care about their dress codes which they apparently don't, who am I to argue.

Last edited by dkjretired; July 8th, 2010 at 09:15 AM.
Old July 8th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Admiral

Don,

Quote:
As I said, I am only dealing with reality. The European cruise are not different than others,...
Are you saying this from personal experience of Celebrity's cruises in Europe?

I have taken cruises in the Mediterranean in each of the last two years. On both cruises, nearly all of the passengers were dressed "to the nines" on the "formal" evenings. About two thirds of the gents whom I saw wore "black tie" outfits, and many of the ladies wore either evening dresses (full length) or very formal cocktail dresses with very tasteful "bling."

On my most recent European cruise (less than a year ago), I met a couple British lasses of about college age who were rather upset that their travel agent had told them not to worry about the dress code because the "formal" evenings would not be all that dressy. It appears to me that you are spreading similar misinformation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I have seen dozens of posts on those cruises of people wishing to avoid formal nights due to weight restrictions on luggage, trips before and after the cruise and the I'm on vacation syndrome.
Yes, and I also have seen those posts.

And I have also met a few passengers who said, quite simply, that they were going to do the "alternative casual" thing on the "formal" evenings rather than bringing formalwear -- which is their choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Celebrity does publish different information in their dailies than on their web site.
Celebrity corrected that problem very shortly after I mentioned it to Dan Hanrahan at the shareholders' annual meeting about two years ago. Has it recurred???

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Additionally, there are areas of the web site on the dress codes that contradict each other. An example that come to mind are cruisers reporting back and showing on boards the Daily which states the dress code for the evening is for the other major public rooms on the ship. This is contrary to what is in the web site.
If there is a contradiction, what's published on the ship is always what governs. And in this case, you are saying that what's published on the ship is stricter than what appears on the web site.

Again, I think that Celebrity fixed the disparity a couple years ago, but please let me know if it has recurred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I also agree that it is not socially acceptable but if the cruise line doesn't care, why bother...
Character is doing what's right even when there's no expectation of adverse consequences for doing what's wrong. This is the mark of ladies and gentlemen.

And most of Celebrity's customers are indeed ladies and gentlemen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
As we have so often said, they are the hosts and if they don't care about their dress codes which they apparently don't, who am I to argue.
Fundamentally, there should be no need to enforce dress codes because ladies and gentlemen comply without enforcement as a matter of social grace and etiquette. To do otherwise is to degrade one's self.

Unfortunately, there are a few cruise passengers who are hell-bent on demonstrating to the rest of us that they are not to be ladies and gentlemen. Fortunately, seem to be relatively few on MOST of Celebrity's itineraries. The short cruises in the Caribbean are the most notorious exception.

Note, also, that the wording in Celebrity's Contract of Passage makes failure to conform to the dress code a disciplinary infraction subject to the terms therein. While I have no doubt that Celebrity will bring its most extreme remedies, such as landing in the next port of call, to bear only for the most eggregious cases, the line has firm legal ground to invoke those remedies at any time.

So why take a chance?

Norm.