Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 4th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Admiral

Default Subtle change in dresscode, Jeans now allowed.

There has been a subtile change in Celebrity's dress code. They no longer have a prohibition on jeans in the MDR. Here is the way the dress code used to read...

Before Six

Dining options abound aboard Celebrity. For breakfast and lunch, jeans, shorts and casual daywear are allowed in all dining venues before 6:00pm. After 6:00pm, this attire is allowed only in casual restaurants and cafés.

The web site now eliminates the above paragraph.

I believe next will be a smart casual dress code for all nights especially since latest reports back are that less than 25% are wearing tuxes and in some cases less than 10%. This is on all cruises, Europe, Caribbean, Bermuda...
Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjretired View Post
There has been a subtile change in Celebrity's dress code. They no longer have a prohibition on jeans in the MDR. Here is the way the dress code used to read...

Before Six

Dining options abound aboard Celebrity. For breakfast and lunch, jeans, shorts and casual daywear are allowed in all dining venues before 6:00pm. After 6:00pm, this attire is allowed only in casual restaurants and cafés.

The web site now eliminates the above paragraph.

I believe next will be a smart casual dress code for all nights especially since latest reports back are that less than 25% are wearing tuxes and in some cases less than 10%. This is on all cruises, Europe, Caribbean, Bermuda...
I read reports from Celebrity cruisers very carefully, and I disagree that Celebrity will be going to a smart casual dress code for all nights anytime soon.

Although there are fewer tuxes then there were four or five years ago, most reviews state that MOST men are in suits.

One recent report that keeps getting repeated and repeated is one by someone who actually dined in Blu, who stated that there were less suits than usual. Blu is a specialty restaurant, and the dress code in all Celebrity specialty restaurants is Smart Casual and Above every night. So that person was not reporting on the Main Dining Room, which is at the opposite end of the ship from the specialty restaurants. She may have seen a lower incidence of suits and tuxes in the specialty restaurants.

Most reviews and reports seem to indicate that the majority of men in the MDR are wearing suits.
Old August 4th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Familiar Face

Default smart casual

I agree smart casual is soon to be the standard as most offices have gone to that. My husband feels it is a waste of suitcase space to bring a suit.
Old August 4th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Admiral

Twenty five years ago if you worked in an office you had to wear a suit (if you are male) .In 2010 there is virtually no dress code ,eventually this will apply to cruising .
Old August 4th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily777 View Post
I read reports from Celebrity cruisers very carefully, and I disagree that Celebrity will be going to a smart casual dress code for all nights anytime soon.

Although there are fewer tuxes then there were four or five years ago, most reviews state that MOST men are in suits.

One recent report that keeps getting repeated and repeated is one by someone who actually dined in Blu, who stated that there were less suits than usual. Blu is a specialty restaurant, and the dress code in all Celebrity specialty restaurants is Smart Casual and Above every night. So that person was not reporting on the Main Dining Room, which is at the opposite end of the ship from the specialty restaurants. She may have seen a lower incidence of suits and tuxes in the specialty restaurants.

Most reviews and reports seem to indicate that the majority of men in the MDR are wearing suits.
I have to point out the following two FAQ questions on Specialty restaurants which are absolutely contradictory.

FAQ Answers

FAQ Answers

I would also disagree with the comments about the suits, I have seen more and more posts about men wearing sport jackets. This isn't even taking into account those that aren't doing formal night at all. This seems to be more of a trend on European cruises due to perceived weight problems with luggage.
Old August 17th, 2010, 01:55 PM
First Mate

Default Dress

Is Blu considered a specialty restaurant? It is reserved only for Aqua Class with reservations available for suite guests if available.

My wife and I sailed Aqua Class last month on Solstice and the food in Blu was every bit as good as any specialty restaurant we have dined in...

Just curious..

Tulum Mexico Resort Reviews

Splendour of the Seas 97
Veendam 05
Westerdam 06
Serenade of the Seas 07
Liberty of the Seas 07
Jewel of the Seas 08
Westerdam 09
Volendam 09
Solstice 10
Solstice 10
Caribbean Princess 11
Nieuw Amsterdam 11
Oasis of the Seas 12
Queen Elizabeth 12
Eurodam 13
Carnival Valor 13
Constellation 14
Old August 17th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Admiral

Sorry to appear slow but couldn't this also mean they were not allowed at all? if they have removed reference to jeans etc. being allowed at certain times it could well mean they are not allowed??
Old August 17th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post

Sorry to appear slow but couldn't this also mean they were not allowed at all? if they have removed reference to jeans etc. being allowed at certain times it could well mean they are not allowed??
Check my first post, the paragraph you quoted has been totally eliminated from the web site.....
Old August 17th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjretired View Post
Check my first post, the paragraph you quoted has been totally eliminated from the web site.....
Yes I see that, so if the bit that says Jeans are allowed & when is no longer there, can this not mean they are not allowed at all? I don't suppose it matters much as people are taking less notice of dress codes.
Old August 17th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Yes I see that, so if the bit that says Jeans are allowed & when is no longer there, can this not mean they are not allowed at all? I don't suppose it matters much as people are taking less notice of dress codes.

Based upon the conversation that I mentioned in my OP with the President of Celebrity, the prohibition on jeans was specifically removed...
Old August 17th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Admiral

I wonder why? customer pressure do you think? Although =X= don't have as many formal nights as say P&O, they always seem reasonably well observed. Does no-one bother to dress nicely for dinner "out" anymore? Looks like the end of this line for us now, shame, rather liked it. I really wish these people would make their minds up about dress & either enforce the bloody codes or forget it altogether!
Old August 17th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Admiral

Why does a person want to wear jeans on a cruiseship

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old August 17th, 2010, 11:15 PM
Admiral

Angry Jeans in the mdr

If jeans are allowed in the MDR in the evening I'm going to be doing a heck of a lot of glaring at these people.. men or women.. Don't these people have any "class"...Okay,I'l go along with wearing suits/blazers instead of tuxes.. and admittedly most women do dress up..Well, there may go the specialness about cruising...
Old August 18th, 2010, 06:13 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
Why does a person want to wear jeans on a cruiseship

TM
I agree, especially in the Caribbean...I live in Jeans during the winter but on a cruise they don't even get packed...I can see them in Alaska but not in any hot climate....
Old August 18th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Admiral

Maybe a "non-PC'' reply but a woman in well cut & well fitting jeans is a different subject than a old guy in baggy old jeans. As the quoted paragraph also covers shorts, is that next?
Old August 18th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Admiral

Not a popular point I guess but I wear jeans on both land and sea cruises
Old August 18th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
Not a popular point I guess but I wear jeans on both land and sea cruises
In the MDR?
Old August 18th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Admiral

Default NO

Quote:
In the MDR?

Not in any dining area but to a shore excursion other than to a beach area ;to walk around on deck early in the morning ,why not ?
Old August 18th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
Not in any dining area but to a shore excursion other than to a beach area ;to walk around on deck early in the morning ,why not ?
Same here, practical & comfortable (mine are ''stretch''). As far as I am concerned, apart from the evenings who cares what you wear during the day.