Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 4th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Familiar Face

Question Is there a difference?

I'm trying to figure out the difference between a 1A, 1B and 1C category on the Celebrity Equinox...We're in a 1C category...cabin 8231...does anyone know about this cabin or the category? Your answer would be greatly appreciated....Thanks :-)
Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

I cannot comment on your specific cabin, however, in general, subcategories (A, B, C) of Categories (#1 in your case) is all about "location, location, location." The cabins themselves are almost always identical inside. It mainly comes down to money; the cruise lines try to figure out ways to charge more for what their marketing folks (and passengers in some cases) think are slightly better cabins so they can charge extra for it. Whether each individual can see the advantages of these various subcategories are many times "in the eye of the beholder." What may be a worthwhile investment for some may not be for others. For example, usually the cabins in the center of a deck are a higher category than the identical cabin forward or aft of center. (Motion sickness is one reason many will go for the center.) For us, this is not a big deal. we would prefer to be located near a set of elevators to help reduce walking. Therefore, in our case, a lower category may actually be better than a higher category that is not near a group of elevators.

Although location is the primary driver of different subcategories, there may be other reasons such as a larger (or smaller) balconies, view obstruction issues, and what is located above a specific cabin (noise issues).

You really need to look at each cabin and consider the following and make your own call of what is important:
1. Check the location vs. the distance to the bow and the stern.
2. What is located on either side of a cabin. (For example, I avoid cabins that have a door between two cabins, which is nice for families requiring two rooms, but can cause noise issues and may remove some storage space from your cabin.)
3. What is located on the deck above the cabin, and maybe to a lesser extent, what is below. Noise from above is a common complaint, from below, not so much. To be safe, choose a cabin with nearly nothing above it, or just a standard cabin.
4. Check the cabin's location relative to everything else. The wrong location can lead to a lot of unnecessary walking, which is a problem for people with handicap issues.

No easy answer to your question; it is really up to the individual to carefully review what you are buying and make sure it fits your needs.
05/89 NCL, Seaward, 1990 Carnival, Topicale, 1991 Carnival, Festivale, 11/93 Wind Star, Wind Song, 01/95 Celebrity, Horizon, 01/96 Celebrity, Century, 01/00 Celebrity, Zenith, 01/01 Princess, Ocean Princess, 01/02 Princess, Ocean Princess, 01/03 Celebrity, Summit, 05/04 Princess, Diamond, 01/05 Celebrity, Galaxy, 01/07 Oceania, Regatta, 01/08 RCCL, Voyager of the Seas, 02/09 RCCL, Voyager of the Seas, 01/10 Celebrity, Solstice
Old August 5th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Administrator
Admiral

sptrout answered your question. It is location, location, location. The actual interiors of 1A, 1B and 1C cabins are the same.

Your location is pretty good. You are fairly mid-ship, have cabins above and below you (less noise), a bit of a walk to the elavators but not bad.

IMO: You have a good cabin.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 5th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

How about me??? After 30 cruises we finally booked our first Celebrity next year on the Summit, C2 category, cabin 7074. We, too, have cabins above and below and the elevator is not too far. My DH likes our balcony to be able to look straight down into the ocean so he researched and he is 99% sure we do. Anyone know? Good cabin?
New England/Canada

228 sea days soon to be 249
Old August 5th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Administrator
Admiral

You should be OK. You are forward of the lifeboats so there should not be anything blocking your view.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me