CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Celebrity (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/celebrity/)
-   -   Maybe a dumb question (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/celebrity/377054-maybe-dumb-question.html)

worldtravellersrus September 22nd, 2010 03:47 PM

Maybe a dumb question
 
BUT, if you are allowed 2 bottles of wine per cabin, has anyone taken a box of wine on board instead of the 2 bottles, and if so what happen?

Rev22:17 September 22nd, 2010 06:16 PM

worldtravellersrus,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You (Post 1318707)
BUT, if you are allowed 2 bottles of wine per cabin, has anyone taken a box of wine on board instead of the 2 bottles, and if so what happen?

No, not at all.

But most folks who cruise on Celebrity probably don't buy wines that come in boxes....

Norm.

jacdenv24 September 22nd, 2010 06:46 PM

Oooh-that sounds slightly...um...elitist?Boxed wine used to be a joke but not anymore. You can now purchase boxed premium wines. Or at least here in Canada.

Manuel September 22nd, 2010 10:56 PM

I'm old fashioned! I like my wine in a bottle that has a real cork.

TM

big apple September 23rd, 2010 12:00 AM

Based on the mark up of wine I will take my boxed so called non premium any day. And for the record have not had any trouble bringing more than 2 bottles on board,

Manuel September 23rd, 2010 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big apple (Post 1318829)
Based on the mark up of wine I will take my boxed so called non premium any day. And for the record have not had any trouble bringing more than 2 bottles on board,

We are lucky as far as wine prices go. In this area you can buy wine for very reasonable prices.
We also have not had any problems with bringing wine on board.

EM

dkjretired September 23rd, 2010 08:45 AM

Tuesday September 28 is "Ask a Stupid question day/"

watchurdiet September 23rd, 2010 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkjretired (Post 1318913)
Tuesday September 28 is "Ask a Stupid question day/"



I should wait until September 28 to ask this question...but y did u pick Tuesday, the 28 of September?...LOL... Y not Wednesday the 29th?

dkjretired September 23rd, 2010 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watchurdiet (Post 1319008)
I should wait until September 28 to ask this question...but y did u pick Tuesday, the 28 of September?...LOL... Y not Wednesday the 29th?

I didn't pick it, this is an actual holiday, look it up on the internet...

johnthed0g September 23rd, 2010 07:00 PM

Snigger...

Rev22:17 September 23rd, 2010 09:01 PM

jacdenv24,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You (Post 1318746)
Oooh-that sounds slightly...um...elitist?Boxed wine used to be a joke but not anymore. You can now purchase boxed premium wines. Or at least here in Canada.

Elitist?

Actually, my tastes are quite simple. I like the best!

But seriously, Celebrity's style tends to cater to the upper middle class to upper class, who are not exactly pinching pennies. The line has the most expensive specialty restaurants in the industry at $30.00 per person per occasion, very upscale prices at its coffee venues (Cova Cafe di Milano or whatever), and some of the most expensive specialty shops on the seas. The passengers drawn back to Celebrity are not exactly folks who are going to buy boxed wines to save a couple bucks.

Norm.

robh September 23rd, 2010 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev22:17 (Post 1319087)
jacdenv24,



Elitist?

Actually, my tastes are quite simple. I like the best!

But seriously, Celebrity's style tends to cater to the upper middle class to upper class, who are not exactly pinching pennies. The line has the most expensive specialty restaurants in the industry at $30.00 per person per occasion, very upscale prices at its coffee venues (Cova Cafe di Milano or whatever), and some of the most expensive specialty shops on the seas. The passengers drawn back to Celebrity are not exactly folks who are going to buy boxed wines to save a couple bucks.

Norm.

I'd not say the passengers I've seen or heard being upper middle class , however you define that. Most are attracted to the sales pitch of the line being above say Princess or HA and just see how much they can get away with for surcharges.
Sure, we are middle class per our tax people and we do buy wine in a box as it is of value normally from an estate where we live on Vancouver island.
The food is good but they had to get rid of the original chef and start again to attract people.

Lombard September 23rd, 2010 09:45 PM

Some of the richest people in the world got that way by scrimping and saving.
There's nothing wrong with quality wine if it's at the right price?

We have a rich old fella in NZ and still drives around in his 1970's VW Beetle.

PS New Zealand wines are the best in the world corks, screw caps, boxed and all. ;) ;) ;)

dkjretired September 23rd, 2010 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev22:17 (Post 1319087)
jacdenv24,



Elitist?

Actually, my tastes are quite simple. I like the best!

But seriously, Celebrity's style tends to cater to the upper middle class to upper class, who are not exactly pinching pennies. The line has the most expensive specialty restaurants in the industry at $30.00 per person per occasion, very upscale prices at its coffee venues (Cova Cafe di Milano or whatever), and some of the most expensive specialty shops on the seas. The passengers drawn back to Celebrity are not exactly folks who are going to buy boxed wines to save a couple bucks.

Norm.

Not anymore, that is the Celebrity of old which is missed....

richsea September 24th, 2010 07:09 AM

Norm, I believe that you continue to live in a dream world!

johnthed0g September 24th, 2010 07:35 AM

The day I order a quality wine in a restaurant & they bring me a box with a tap on the side is the day & will agree!!
Anyway my wife doesn't like boxed wine, the last one said once opened it will last 3 weeks....well, she drank the lot in 2 days, so that was a con!!

jacdenv24 September 24th, 2010 02:05 PM

Another benefit of boxed wine is it's easier to pack if you're taking some on board-no breakage.
Lombard-I agree! N.Z. wine is the best. We make our own wine but occasionally purchase a bottle for a change-and it's always Kiwi wine:wink:

robh September 24th, 2010 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnthed0g (Post 1319165)
The day I order a quality wine in a restaurant & they bring me a box with a tap on the side is the day & will agree!!
Anyway my wife doesn't like boxed wine, the last one said once opened it will last 3 weeks....well, she drank the lot in 2 days, so that was a con!!

John,
Phone up the company , ask for customer relations and tell them it was so good that your wife held everybody at gunpoint until she finished the box in two days.:rolleyes::D

Manuel September 24th, 2010 03:14 PM

NZ wine is good for sure. but I would not say that it is better than wines from Italy, Spain or France.

One of my favorite wine is Vinho Verde from Portugal. Toeach is own, we certainly have many choices.

Whatever floats your boat.

TM

watchurdiet September 26th, 2010 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkjretired (Post 1319053)
I didn't pick it, this is an actual holiday, look it up on the internet...

Ask a Stupid Question Day is a holiday that is sometimes celebrated in the United States, usually by school students and teachers.[1] Although Ask a Stupid Question Day's default date is September 28, in practice it is usually observed on the last school day of September

Just got around to looking this up as u suggested.... so it's real ..... I thought u were joking.....:)
And the person who...sniggered...most likely didn't know it either....:rolleyes:

Lombard September 26th, 2010 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watchurdiet (Post 1319727)
Ask a Stupid Question Day is a holiday that is sometimes celebrated in the United States, usually by school students and teachers.[1] Although Ask a Stupid Question Day's default date is September 28, in practice it is usually observed on the last school day of September

Just got around to looking this up as u suggested.... so it's real ..... I thought u were joking.....:)
And the person who...sniggered...most likely didn't know it either....:rolleyes:


LOL Did you miss out on Talk like a pirate day the other week?
It's not a holiday but still?

Arrrgh

watchurdiet September 26th, 2010 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lombard (Post 1319732)
LOL Did you miss out on Talk like a pirate day the other week?
It's not a holiday but still?

Arrrgh


LOL... I sure did.... :(

soccorss September 27th, 2010 07:20 AM

But you should do this when you can easilyget vine over there

chipmeister September 27th, 2010 06:03 PM

Arrrgh, talk like a pirate day be fun. But......have you ever tried the 'pirate' language setting on Facebook? It changes everything to pirate speak. It's hilarious. And, after a while, you even learn a few things since some of the phrases were unknown to me. It's really funny.

Nurse Debra September 27th, 2010 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richsea (Post 1319163)
Norm, I believe that you continue to live in a dream world!

Rich,

Truer words were never said!!!!! Sometimes you just have to laugh when Norm likes to say that those who sail Celebrity are upper middle class to upper class and are more sophisticated than other cruise lines.

I remember Norm saying that in addition to Celebrity cruisers being more sophisticated than those passengers who sail on other cruise lines, their children were also very well behaved and not like those children on other cruise lines. Sounds like more like something right out of a PR release from Celebrity. LOL

Jacdenv24,

The elitist statement aside, you are fine to bring your own "boxed" wine on board. Be aware that Celebrity does have a two bottle limit on carryon wine. Since Celebrity started offering an all you can drink program, they clearly limit carryon liquor or wine to increases their profits, and I would have no problem with putting a few extra bottles in my suitcase, carefully packed of course.

Enjoy your cruise and especially enjoy that "boxed" wine!!!

Debra

dkjretired September 28th, 2010 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nurse Debra (Post 1319886)
Rich,

Truer words were never said!!!!! Sometimes you just have to laugh when Norm likes to say that those who sail Celebrity are upper middle class to upper class and are more sophisticated than other cruise lines.

I remember Norm saying that in addition to Celebrity cruisers being more sophisticated than those passengers who sail on other cruise lines, their children were also very well behaved and not like those children on other cruise lines. Sounds like more like something right out of a PR release from Celebrity. LOL

Jacdenv24,

The elitist statement aside, you are fine to bring your own "boxed" wine on board. Be aware that Celebrity does have a two bottle limit on carryon wine. Since Celebrity started offering an all you can drink program, they clearly limit carryon liquor or wine to increases their profits, and I would have no problem with putting a few extra bottles in my suitcase, carefully packed of course.

Enjoy your cruise and especially enjoy that "boxed" wine!!!

Debra

Debra:

They are removing them from checked luggage lately....


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1