Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 8th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Banned
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to Iamboatman
Default Significant Changes to Silhouette and Reflections

I just got off a presentation with Celebrity about some significant changes to the two newest Solstice class ships, Silhouette and Reflections.

For me the biggest news is that the ships are going to grow one deck in height and one meter (39 inches) in width. With this capacity is going to grow from about 1426 cabins to 1515 cabins. The new cabins will include 34 new AquaClass Suites, 8 Sky Suites, 19 Concierge Class cabins and 11 inside cabins.

There is also going to be major modifications to the Lawn Club. Gone is the Corning Glass Works and in its place will be an extra cost Specialty Restaurant, forward to starboard will be The Porch (a breakfast/lunch venue), and forward off to the port side, an Artist's Corner.

In addition there will be pay-for private lounge retreats along the sides of the Lawn as well as complimentary hammocks and giant Adirondack chairs aft.

Michaels Club is being transformed (not to my liking) into an upscale brew pub...losing its classy feel and overstuffed sofas/grand piano.

Also, some venues like Bistro on 5 will be redesigned.

The environmental nook will be transformed into a quiet retreat with elevated tree houses and comfortable sofas to relax in.

The increased space will provide for 245 additional sun loungers and more seating in the main show lounge as well as in some dining venues (Tuscan Grille, Blu, Qsine and the Main Restaurant).

As with all things that change, some will be positive and some will not. I am not thrilled with the additional capacity or the changes to Michael's Club...especially Michael's Club.

While I had the benefit of seeing plans and artist renderings, you may get a better idea from Celebrity's press release.

What do you think?

Last edited by Iamboatman; December 8th, 2010 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Added content
Sponsored Links
Old December 8th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamboatman View Post
I just got off a presentation with Celebrity about some significant changes to the two newest Solstice class ships, Silhouette and Reflections.

For me the biggest news is that the ships are going to grow one deck in height and one meter (39 inches) in width. With this capacity is going to grow from about 1426 cabins to 1515 cabins. The new cabins will include 34 new AquaClass Suites, 8 Sky Suites, 19 Concierge Class cabins and 11 inside cabins.

There is also going to be major modifications to the Lawn Club. Gone is the Corning Glass Works and in its place will be an extra cost Specialty Restaurant, forward to starboard will be The Porch (a breakfast/lunch venue), and forward off to the port side, an Artist's Corner.

In addition there will be pay-for private lounge retreats along the sides of the Lawn as well as complimentary hammocks and giant Adirondack chairs aft.

Michaels Club is being transformed (not to my liking) into an upscale brew pub...losing its classy feel and overstuffed sofas/grand piano.

Also, some venues like Bistro on 5 will be redesigned.

The environmental nook will be transformed into a quiet retreat with elevated tree houses and comfortable sofas to relax in.

The increased space will provide for 245 additional sun loungers and more seating in the main show lounge as well as in some dining venues (Tuscan Grille, Blu, Qsine and the Main Restaurant).

As with all things that change, some will be positive and some will not. I am not thrilled with the additional capacity or the changes to Michael's Club...especially Michael's Club.

While I had the benefit of seeing plans and artist renderings, you may get a better idea from Celebrity's press release.

What do you think?
The one deck enhancement will only be on Reflection, not Silhouette..

The other point not mentioned but asked at the press conference had to do with the rumors of two more S class ships. There will not be ships 6 and 7 at this time...

The AQ suites are seperate from AQ class cabins, they will have more room and all the benefits of suites...

Last edited by dkjretired; December 8th, 2010 at 12:26 PM.
Old December 8th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Familiar Face

Doesn't sound like good news to me.
Old December 8th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Banned
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for clarifying those couple of points DKRetired!
Old December 8th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamboatman View Post
Thanks for clarifying those couple of points DKRetired!
No problem, Eric, I like the changes but as with many things, the devil is in the details... Good to see you, I do remember you from days past...
Old December 8th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Admiral

Just how much do you think Apple is paying them? anyone counted how many times Ipad can be mentioned in a Press Release?

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old December 8th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
Just how much do you think Apple is paying them? anyone counted how many times Ipad can be mentioned in a Press Release?
What do you expect, they have a business relationship with Apple on the ships, they did the same thing years ago when Century came out with Sony.
Old December 8th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjretired View Post
What do you expect, they have a business relationship with Apple on the ships, they did the same thing years ago when Century came out with Sony.
It wasn't a complaint, I found it funny. I've never seen so many references to Apple on a non Apple press release.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old December 8th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I thought the renderings at the web conference were outstanding. The Lawn Club area is going to be a major draw in my opinion.. The Porch, The Lawn Club Grille,will be the place to be, up there! The Hideaway, & The Alcoves, will be like a little oasis to just veg and nap...

I think Michaels Club, will appeal to a broader range of cruisers. With handcrafted beers, tastings, new music options, the tv and a lot of interactive options, people will want to walk in, not walk by.

I loved the Eclipse, but I think these 2 new ships, are just over and above, in a good way....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 8th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Admiral

We didn't go in Michaels Club, we thought it was for the "top people" in suites & Aqua!!
Old December 8th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The only thing that doesn't impress me is the "You Cook it" restaurant. I have been to a few of these and I'm never impressed. If I go to a restaurant I don't want to cook my own food. Though there have been a number of times I wish I could have.

It also seems that Celebrity will be giving NCL a run for its money in the number of specialty restaurants on board.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 8th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Banned
Cruise Maniac

I am, overall, a luxury type cruiser; spending most of my cruising days on Seabourn (which I also sell, by far, the most of).

So when I do sail on Celebrity (and I am a Captain's Club Elite) I truly enjoyed Michael's Club being a bit more exclusive in approach. I loved it when it was a cigar lounge, accepted it as OK when it became a piano bar, still enjoyed it when it became mor of an informal living room, but turning it into a glorified sports bar...

Sorry, I think that small areas of luxury can overall do more to increase revenue from the sale of suites then a sports bar can do for increased revenue from the sale of beer.

I do think some of the other additions are going to be good additions. I am, however, concerned that the beauty and relaxation of the lower energy space is now going to be overwhelmed by all of the different venues being installed there.
Old December 8th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
We didn't go in Michaels Club, we thought it was for the "top people" in suites & Aqua!!
You are more than welcome in Michaels except during the Captains Club Elite event which is held in the mornings and on many cruises in the evening. They usually have signs outside...