Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 25th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Is there a new "Formal" in cruising?

Seems the last few years the cruise world has a "new formal".

Do you still pack tuxedos and gowns, or suits and fancy dresses ?
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post

We still pack tuxedos & gowns.
Old January 25th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Admiral

If the cruise line asks for formal & describes what they require we take it, or if we don't have room we buy it (semi formal jacket Azura!)
Old January 25th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
Do you still pack tuxedos....
I have a tux, but it has "streched" (yea!!) over the past few years so I can no longer use it. Last year while on the Solstice, I rented a tux, but not all that many folks wear them. Going to Alaska in May; still undecided about renting a tux. Renting a tux does eliminate having to pack a suite/shirts/ties, so I will flip a coin in a few weeks.

I do believe that the formal days are soon to be a memory.....fine with me.
05/89 NCL, Seaward, 1990 Carnival, Topicale, 1991 Carnival, Festivale, 11/93 Wind Star, Wind Song, 01/95 Celebrity, Horizon, 01/96 Celebrity, Century, 01/00 Celebrity, Zenith, 01/01 Princess, Ocean Princess, 01/02 Princess, Ocean Princess, 01/03 Celebrity, Summit, 05/04 Princess, Diamond, 01/05 Celebrity, Galaxy, 01/07 Oceania, Regatta, 01/08 RCCL, Voyager of the Seas, 02/09 RCCL, Voyager of the Seas, 01/10 Celebrity, Solstice
Old January 25th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Admiral

I have never really seen why people are against formal nights, like any other evening but with different clothes.
Old January 25th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sptrout View Post
I have a tux, but it has "streched" (yea!!) over the past few years so I can no longer use it. Last year while on the Solstice, I rented a tux, but not all that many folks wear them. Going to Alaska in May; still undecided about renting a tux. Renting a tux does eliminate having to pack a suite/shirts/ties, so I will flip a coin in a few weeks.

I do believe that the formal days are soon to be a memory.....fine with me.
Based on my HAL Alaska cruise, approx 10% men wore tux.

Annie
Old January 25th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Admiral

Based on my recent Azura cruise 95% of men wore Tux /DJ & there were about 8 formals.
Old January 25th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Admiral

Other than Alaska in 2009 in which we left from our home port of Vancouver, the last time we packed formals was I think 2006 on the Sea Princess. And we cruise minimum once a year if not twice.

Hubby owns a tux and i have tons of formal, we just don't feel like it on vacation so we find alternative dining.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old January 25th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
Based on my recent Azura cruise 95% of men wore Tux /DJ & there were about 8 formals.
British line with largely English passengers?

Annie
Old January 25th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I have never really seen why people are against formal nights, like any other evening but with different clothes.
Maybe they don't enjoy dressing up? Ask them why.

Annie
Old January 25th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

"Formal" night in general, is not the corseted laced up gown anymore for the ladies,or a tux for the man..but a nice suit,and dressy seperates for the ladies...These we bring...to those who don't I would ask, would you go into the dining room on formal night dressed casually?

Packing in general has changed due to the rigid restrictions and fees.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; January 25th, 2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old January 25th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegb View Post
British line with largely English passengers?

Annie
Yes..probably 99%.
Old January 25th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Admiral

Don't understand the problem with putting on a Tux.
Old January 25th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Admiral

I can't answer that.

I dress at dinner a la Trip - but I don't call that formal - I call that smart casual.

I think maybe Europeans have a different definition of Formal?

On my HAL cruise, I was invited to the Capt Cocktail party, don't know why, dressed a la Trip and stood out like a sore thumb because I was overdressed! After a few cocktails, I couldn't care less but I felt really uneasy. So I am really confused now.

Annie
Old January 25th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Yes..probably 99%.
There is your answer.
Old January 25th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Admiral

Formal night is becoming a thing of the past. I have read on numerous boards that cruisers are constantly trying to avoid formal nights at all costs. Celebrity has not made formal nights real customer friendly since for the most part lately they have not enforced their own rules for dress. The dress code for men on formal night is Tux/Dinner Jacket or Suit. More and more men are now opting for Sport jackets and very few on all cruises no matter the length or location are in tuxes. Also, they have within the past few months changed the rules so that all specialty restaurants are now "Smart Casual" every night. Adding to that is the change which now allows jeans into the the MDR. I think it is very telling when people are opting to eat in their room rather than go to formal night in the MDR.

Years ago, Celebrity requested that you remain dressed up for the entire evening in all venues.It seems now that the only place you are requested to dress formal on formal night is the dining room. The theater and all other venues are also "Smart Casual" as per Celebritys rules.

Just as in society we have relaxed dress standards (go to a funeral or a wedding lately) the cruise line standards are changing. Celebrity will be Smart Casual everynight, very soon.

The above does not express an opinion of how I feel about formal nights. I am only passing on what I have observed on board ship with two Celebrity cruises in the last year and also reading thousands of posts on various boards.
Old January 25th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Packingin general has changed due to the rigid restrictions and fees.
I think the trend away from formal dress came first. The cruise lines (or passengers depending on your position) just "got lucky" when the airlines started instituting baggage fees.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 25th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Admiral

Still don't see what it is that people find so distasteful about dressing up. Surely people wash & shave before dinner, do hair, change clothes too.. so why not put on something more than a tee shirt & jeans? Or maybe some don't do this & want to just go right in to eat?
The main problem I have is cruise lines rules, why on earth have a formal dress code that only applies to the MDR & even then nobody respects it but nothing is said...waste of time.
Respect, enforce, uphold or drop the whole thing, one or the other, the worst option is a rule that nobody respects because it is ignored by both sides.
Old January 25th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Still don't see what it is that people find so distasteful about dressing up. Surely people wash & shave before dinner, do hair, change clothes too.. so why not put on something more than a tee shirt & jeans? Or maybe some don't do this & want to just go right in to eat?
The main problem I have is cruise lines rules, why on earth have a formal dress code that only applies to the MDR & even then nobody respects it but nothing is said...waste of time.
Respect, enforce, uphold or drop the whole thing, one or the other, the worst option is a rule that nobody respects because it is ignored by both sides.
Agree, I've been saying that for years, either enforce your rules or get rid of them. Now they have everyone confused with their X the rules marketing campaign....
Old January 25th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Admiral

I took a black suit and 3 different colored dress shirts ,Mrs.Henry 43 brought dresses .
Old January 25th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
"Formal" night in general, is not the corseted laced up gown anymore for the ladies,or a tux for the man..but a nice suit,and dressy seperates for the ladies...These we bring...to those who don't I would ask, would you go into the dining room on formal night dressed casually?

Packing in general has changed due to the rigid restrictions and fees.
We ended up in the dining room one formal night on our Greek island cruise. When packing we had no intention of it but we were invited to join 3 other couples. I was dressed fine, I had the black slinky pants and a sparkly jacket, but hubby only had a sports jacket, shirt and tie. It felt very weird. Formal nights we usually grab a pizza and a bottle of wine for our deck.

Hawaii By land x 2
Old January 25th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
I took a black suit and 3 different colored dress shirts ,Mrs.Henry 43 brought dresses .
Bloody hell, I first read that as 43 dresses

Hawaii By land x 2
Old January 25th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
Bloody hell, I first read that as 43 dresses
Me, too. I thought that was funny!
Old January 25th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Admiral

No ,thats her name
Old January 26th, 2011, 04:29 AM
Admiral

On his Azura cruise, JTD met a cruiser who packed 33 dresses!

Annie
Old January 26th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Admiral

Kuki,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
No, there's no "new formal," but several cruise lines have abandoned "formal" (either officially, as a matter of stated policy, or de facto, by failure to enforce the prescribed standards) in favor of something else.

And in reality, the so-called "formal" evenings on most cruise lines really have been "modified formal" evenings, meaning that a dark business suit with a standard dress shirt and necktie is acceptable attire for gents and a cocktail dress is acceptable attire for ladies, for about four decades now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
If the cruise line advertises "formal" evenings, as Celebrity does, I bring my white dinner jacket outfit if the cruise is in the summer or in the tropical or subtropical regions or my tuxedo otherwise.

My experience on Celebrity, mostly on cruises of ten nights or longer, is that nearly all of the passengers do wear the prescribed attire for the "formal" evening. On my most recent cruise (last October-November in the Caribbean), I overheard a couple (apparently quite embarrassed) passengers remark that they did not expect the "formal" evenings to be quite so dressy.

That said, I do understand that the four-night and five-night cruises in the Caribbean draw a very different crowd. I have heard from several sources that the dress code typically goes out the window on those sailings.

As best I can tell, seven night sailings in the Caribbean and Alaska seem to get about 80% conformance with the dress codes and about 20% who (1) get bad information from their travel agents, (2) expect Celebrity to be just like Carnival, or (3) just don't get it.

Norm.
Old January 26th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegb View Post
On his Azura cruise, JTD met a cruiser who packed 33 dresses!

Annie
True... she was on our table, I noticed & thought it would be good to mention that she appeared have a different dress every night (28 night cruise) ''did you bring 28 dresses?'' I said...she said ''no I brought 33 in case I need spares!" Every night her & her husband looked absolutely immaculate, we met them at the airport & they even looked wonderful for the flight home, really good company too.
Old January 26th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Admiral

Quote:
True... she was on our table, I noticed & thought it would be good to mention that she appeared have a different dress every night (28 night cruise) ''did you bring 28 dresses?'' I said...she said ''no I brought 33 in case I need spares!" Every night her & her husband looked absolutely immaculate, we met them at the airport & they even looked wonderful for the flight home, really good company too.
I remember you posting that! Wow. Did you happen to get to see the size of their luggage? I'm pretty sure I don't even own 33 dresses

Hawaii By land x 2
Old January 26th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Admiral

It did lead to an interesting discussion on luggage!! We were told in no uncertain terms that it was 23kg's & that was it, no more, no excess, nothing, anything over you can't take....they just rocked up to the airport & said ''we are taking it so there'' & they paid extra 200 +
Old January 26th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
I remember you posting that! Wow. Did you happen to get to see the size of their luggage? I'm pretty sure I don't even own 33 dresses
I said that too and added that I only expected members of the Royal Family owned 33 dresses.

On a World cruise, can we guess how many dresses she would take?

Annie