Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 8th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Familiar Face

Default Question about Bermuda cruise

We will be taking the Summit to Bermuda this spring. This is the first time there, so should we take the ships excursions or do it on our own? The ships excursions don't look too bad and I hear they sell out before you get there. Any advise will be helpful.
Equinox 2010
Monarch of the Seas 2010
Voyager of the Seas 2005
Summit 2004
Sponsored Links
Old February 8th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

If the prices on the excursions that interest you, seem reasonable, by all means book the ships offerings asap...you can usually do better off the ship, price wise... I know people who have used the publc transportation there to get around, and love seeing the island that way..

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 8th, 2011, 01:29 PM
First Mate

We are going this spring also, on another cruise line. This will be my second trip to Bermuda. If you are uncomfortable in your ability to navigate on your own use the ships excursions. I prefer to go on my own. Here is a web site that may be helpful to you Bermuda Hotels and Travel Deals from the Bermuda Hotel Association The public transportation is reasonable $12.00 per day and unlimited use of bus and watertaxi service. The natives are very friendly and helpful. They want tourists to visit, they are NOT pushy. Traveling on you own is safe. It is a lovely Island, enjoy.
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"
Old February 9th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Admiral

its all about your own comfort level, Bermuda is very easy to get around, public transportation is great, its safe, locals very friendly. What activities/places are you looking into doing? we could make some suggestions
Old February 9th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Admiral

Cool Bermuda

There is no doubt in my mind that buying a three day bus/ferry ticket is the way to get around Bermuda..You will be in the newly refurbished Dockyard and it will be easy to get to the beaches. As for safety.. sadly, you must be aware when you go to the beaches that your being watched and dont leave your valuables on the beach. Take the ferry to see St. George, a charming little town on the other side of the island, walk around and enjoy the charm. Hamilton is for shopping and buses will take you to the beaches, the Aquarium, the Crystal Caves, etc. and yes our favorite pub... the Swizzle Inn. The island is only 19 miles long and you can see much, but each time we have gone back (12 time) there is always more to see and do. I have found that the Bermudians will go out of their way to help you and give you directions...On the buses they thank the drivers and call him by name coming and going...and as they say... Have a Bermudaful Day!!
Old February 9th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Admiral

When we went on a cruise to Bermuda there was no such thing as a shore excursion .Everyone did everything on their own .We had a great time .
Old February 9th, 2011, 10:59 PM
Admiral

Cool Excursions in bermuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
When we went on a cruise to Bermuda there was no such thing as a shore excursion .Everyone did everything on their own .We had a great time .
I can tell you that from the very first year the original Royal Majesty left from Boston and then the NCL Majesty cruised from Boston to St George and that is a good 15 years ago more or less... there have always been excursions...We cruised on that ship at least once a year, sometimes twice until just recently. Until the NCL Dawn left from NYC the Majesty was the most re-booked cruise ship in the NCL line. Oh yes.. the original caterer on the Royal Majesty was Apollo

Last edited by Parrot Mom; February 9th, 2011 at 11:29 PM.
Old February 11th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Familiar Face

Talking

Thank you much for all your replies. I couldn't find much on the internet and after your help, I was able to find and feel comfortable about the buses and getting around. We do want to go to some beaches and also some snorkeling and kayaking. After seeing the info on the buses and the ferries, we will be using them to sightsee. I appreciate all your posts. Really looking forward to going.
Equinox 2010
Monarch of the Seas 2010
Voyager of the Seas 2005
Summit 2004
Old February 11th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Admiral

Default Excursions

One of the favorite excursions is the Hartley Helmet Dive, there is/was another company doing the same thing but this company is the original. There is also if I remember right "swimming with the dolphins".. which I don't approve, but there are people who enjoy it.. One year we took the excursion where we took a bus over the entire island plus the Gibbs Light House (I think that's the name).. there are Botanical Gardens and one of the fun things is taking the "milk run" ferry to see all the little villages.
Old February 11th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Admiral

Default Excursions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom View Post
I can tell you that from the very first year the original Royal Majesty left from Boston and then the NCL Majesty cruised from Boston to St George and that is a good 15 years ago more or less... there have always been excursions...We cruised on that ship at least once a year, sometimes twice until just recently. Until the NCL Dawn left from NYC the Majesty was the most re-booked cruise ship in the NCL line. Oh yes.. the original caterer on the Royal Majesty was Apollo

There were none in 1973 .
Old February 11th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Admiral

Default 1973

Quote:
There were none in 1973 .
Dont think the Royal Majesty was cruising FROM Boston to Bermuda then...Maybe excursions didn't start until NCL took over... I just know that in 12 plus cruises from Boston to Bermuda I haven't seen it all...
Old February 11th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Admiral

Cool Royal Majesty

Just "googled" it Henry and it started from Boston to Bermuda in 1995--We were very friendly with Robert and Mandy France two of the entertainers on the ship.. it was a very well run ship and elegant..
Old February 11th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Admiral

I was not on that ship .I was on a Cunard ship .
Old February 11th, 2011, 10:36 PM
Admiral

Default Cruising

Quote:
I was not on that ship .I was on a Cunard ship .
After starting our cruising over 25 years ago we were tired of cruising from Miami and I think Aruba and when the Royal home-based in Boston it was a joy to leave our home at 11:30 and be at the Black Falcon Pier within the hour and onboard at 1:00 p.m...no flying, no hassle, no grumpy long shoremen..and at the end of two days in beautiful Bermuda where I loved to wander the side streets and look into the gardens of the folks in St. George. At that time St. George had many little shops with friendly Bermudians and was a tad safer than it is now for tourists. Who knows... at the Travel Show in Boston on Sunday maybe, just maybe we will go back on the NCL Dawn
Old February 21st, 2011, 09:53 PM
Welcome Newcomer

We on a cruise last year with Princess Cruise line and me and fiancée booked mopeds to get around bermuda... 50 -75 bucks a person for the day, cheap and easy way to get around the island... We met up with the rest of the people on our boat at the beach...