Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old April 7th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,088
Default Reflection Deck plans are out

Reflection deck plans are now available on Celebrity's web site. One major change which is positive has them putting the pool and the buffet on the same deck unlike the other S class ships. They are also taking reservations for the ship for Captains Club members. Also, the ship will be homeported in Miami, late next year.

Don
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old April 7th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,771
Default

Don,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
Also, the ship will be homeported in Miami, late next year.
The ship may operate from Miami, but I really doubt that Miami will be her home port (that is, port of registry). The cost of registering ships in the United States is prohibitive due extensive licensing requirements and high wages demanded by strong maritime unions.

Valetta, Malta, is now the home port of all Celebrity vessels.

Norm.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old April 8th, 2011, 08:03 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,088
Default

Just reporting what the cruiseline is saying. I guess it depends on your definition of homeport. Celebrity obviously has a different one then you. For the purposes of those booking cruises, I'll take Celebrities since it lets me know where the cruises are actually leaving from.

Currently, the homeport according to Celebrity for their ships is all over the world and includes or will include, England, NJ, Italy and now Miami as well as a few others.

This board is to help people not confuse them..

A vessel's home port is the port at which it is based, which may not be the same as its port of registry[1] shown on its registration documents[2] and lettered on the stern of the ship's hull.[3] In the cruise industry the term "home port" is often mistakenly used in reference to a ship's port of departure.

Last edited by dkjretired; April 8th, 2011 at 08:14 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old April 8th, 2011, 04:49 PM
jacdenv24's Avatar
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bobcaygeon, Ontario
Posts: 643
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjretired View Post
Reflection deck plans are now available on Celebrity's web site. One major change which is positive has them putting the pool and the buffet on the same deck unlike the other S class ships. They are also taking reservations for the ship for Captains Club members. Also, the ship will be homeported in Miami, late next year.

Don

I've always researched my cruises thoroughly, particularly the ship, but failed to notice that the pools and buffet were on separate decks on Solstice ships. And we're sailing on the Silhouette in Jan! That is unusual. I can see why the pool people wouldn't like that arrangement-so many of them just run in and grab a tray of food and get right back to the sun. I wonder why Celebrity tried that-trying to keep the bathing suit crowd out of the buffet? We don't use the buffet much but a few times I have seen people sneak in without a cover up. I think maybe they should have at least put an outside grill on the pool deck. Anyhow, it won't effect my cruising-I have to stay out of the sun
__________________
Oceanus 1987
Splendor of the Seas 1997
Regal Empress 1998
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010


Celebrity Silhouette
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old April 8th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,088
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacdenv24 View Post
I've always researched my cruises thoroughly, particularly the ship, but failed to notice that the pools and buffet were on separate decks on Solstice ships. And we're sailing on the Silhouette in Jan! That is unusual. I can see why the pool people wouldn't like that arrangement-so many of them just run in and grab a tray of food and get right back to the sun. I wonder why Celebrity tried that-trying to keep the bathing suit crowd out of the buffet? We don't use the buffet much but a few times I have seen people sneak in without a cover up. I think maybe they should have at least put an outside grill on the pool deck. Anyhow, it won't effect my cruising-I have to stay out of the sun
I think the grill is being moved to the pool deck also as it is on the other ships...
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old April 14th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,771
Default

Don,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
Just reporting what the cruiseline is saying. I guess it depends on your definition of homeport. Celebrity obviously has a different one then you. For the purposes of those booking cruises, I'll take Celebrities since it lets me know where the cruises are actually leaving from.

Currently, the homeport according to Celebrity for their ships is all over the world and includes or will include, England, NJ, Italy and now Miami as well as a few others.
That constitutes false advertising, which could expose the company to legal liability if some unsuspecting individual books a cruise on the false representation that the ship is registered in a particular place.

Then I shall address this with Mssrs. Fain and Hanrahan at the annual stockholders' meeting next year because it's exposing the compnay to needless liability. Unfortunately, I cannot go to this year's meeting because I'll be aboard the Rocky Mountaineer en route from Vancouver to Calgary after the Pacific Coastal Wine Cruise aboard MV Celebrity Century.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
A vessel's home port is the port at which it is based, which may not be the same as its port of registry[1] shown on its registration documents[2] and lettered on the stern of the ship's hull.[3] In the cruise industry the term "home port" is often mistakenly used in reference to a ship's port of departure.
Factually, you are dead wrong. Both legally and in standard maritime use, a vessel's "home port" is her port of registry. The term "home port" has nothing whatsoever to do with the port(s) from which a vessel may operate.

I know that some cruise guides have misused the term "home port" in recent years and that some on-line dictionaries have incorporated this misuse into their definitins, but such misuse does NOT alter the legal meaning of the term. I doubt that one could sue a travel guide for false advertising over this, but one certainly can sue a cruise line for false advertising over this.

Norm.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old April 14th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,771
Default

jacdenv24,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
I've always researched my cruises thoroughly, particularly the ship, but failed to notice that the pools and buffet were on separate decks on Solstice ships. And we're sailing on the Silhouette in Jan! That is unusual. I can see why the pool people wouldn't like that arrangement-so many of them just run in and grab a tray of food and get right back to the sun. I wonder why Celebrity tried that-trying to keep the bathing suit crowd out of the buffet? We don't use the buffet much but a few times I have seen people sneak in without a cover up. I think maybe they should have at least put an outside grill on the pool deck. Anyhow, it won't effect my cruising-I have to stay out of the sun
Celebrity's rules have always stated that passengers must wear cover-ups over bathing suits when going into the buffet restaurant.

Of course, like many of the rules governing dress aboard ship, there may sometimes be a lack of enforcement....

Norm.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old April 14th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,088
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17 View Post
Don,



That constitutes false advertising, which could expose the company to legal liability if some unsuspecting individual books a cruise on the false representation that the ship is registered in a particular place.

Then I shall address this with Mssrs. Fain and Hanrahan at the annual stockholders' meeting next year because it's exposing the compnay to needless liability. Unfortunately, I cannot go to this year's meeting because I'll be aboard the Rocky Mountaineer en route from Vancouver to Calgary after the Pacific Coastal Wine Cruise aboard MV Celebrity Century.



Factually, you are dead wrong. Both legally and in standard maritime use, a vessel's "home port" is her port of registry. The term "home port" has nothing whatsoever to do with the port(s) from which a vessel may operate.

I know that some cruise guides have misused the term "home port" in recent years and that some on-line dictionaries have incorporated this misuse into their definitins, but such misuse does NOT alter the legal meaning of the term. I doubt that one could sue a travel guide for false advertising over this, but one certainly can sue a cruise line for false advertising over this.

Norm.
You are really funny Norm, I don't believe that you would make such a big deal out of nothing. I'll go with my definition, you go with yours, mine is used by Celebrity, trade magazines, etc.. Point is that the ship is homeporting in Miami.

Why don't we just book a cruise on Reflection, I'll go to Miami, you go to Malta and we'll see who gets on the ship. That is what people want to know on this board as they make their plans.

The whole thing about suing is so silly I'm not going to comment.

Don

Last edited by dkjretired; April 14th, 2011 at 08:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old April 19th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,771
Default

Don,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
Point is that the ship is homeporting in Miami.
Wrong. The ship most likely will be "home ported" (if one wishes to commit the grammatical attrocity of "verbizing" a noun) in Valetta (Malta), like the rest of Celebirty's fleet, but will be based in Miami for the winter season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Why don't we just book a cruise on Reflection, I'll go to Miami, you go to Malta and we'll see who gets on the ship. That is what people want to know on this board as they make their plans.
When I want to embark on a ship, I normally go to her current operating base rather than to her home port. Many merchant ships -- cruise ships included! -- operate for decades without ever calling in their home ports, so a ship's home port is not normally a good place to go if you want to embark.

Of course, there are also many ships that don't have operating bases, too. A cruise ship operating an "Around the World" itinerary is a prime example. Most cruise lines that offer such itineraries break them into segments and sell each segment as a separate cruise, with the "Around the World" itinerary simply consiting of all the segments joined back-to-back-to-back-to-back. In that case, each "turn-around" between segments happens in a different port -- so which of those ports would you regard as the ship's "base?"

Norm.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old April 20th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,088
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17 View Post
Don,



Wrong. The ship most likely will be "home ported" (if one wishes to commit the grammatical attrocity of "verbizing" a noun) in Valetta (Malta), like the rest of Celebirty's fleet, but will be based in Miami for the winter season.



When I want to embark on a ship, I normally go to her current operating base rather than to her home port. Many merchant ships -- cruise ships included! -- operate for decades without ever calling in their home ports, so a ship's home port is not normally a good place to go if you want to embark.

Of course, there are also many ships that don't have operating bases, too. A cruise ship operating an "Around the World" itinerary is a prime example. Most cruise lines that offer such itineraries break them into segments and sell each segment as a separate cruise, with the "Around the World" itinerary simply consiting of all the segments joined back-to-back-to-back-to-back. In that case, each "turn-around" between segments happens in a different port -- so which of those ports would you regard as the ship's "base?"

Norm.
YOU..

No, I am not wrong, you are. If it is good enough for the cruise line its good enough for me. It is obvious that the definition has evolved as do so many words. I provided a definition which backs up what I said.

I tried to give info to the people on this board about the deck plans of Reflection and where it is homeported according to Celebrity and several other locations. Instead, you pulled the old "shoot the messenger" card.

The ship is homeported in Miami according to Celebrity. Any further discussion is pointless and silly.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
celeberity, celebrity, celebrityreflectiondeckplans, constellation, cover, deck, home, layout, photo, plan, plans, port, reflection, reflections, reflecton

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Epic deck plans for Deck 9 ~ Question SunFunBeer Norwegian Cruise Lines 2 August 15th, 2010 04:33 PM
Deck Plans Dianeteach68 Royal Caribbean International 1 July 15th, 2007 08:17 AM
Deck plans PinkBride21 Ask CruiseMates Staff 5 February 22nd, 2006 10:36 PM
Deck plans..... turkeyman Carnival Cruise Lines 6 January 9th, 2005 05:59 PM
deck plans billy1950 Royal Caribbean International 1 July 14th, 2004 09:01 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:33 PM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1