Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 1st, 2011, 08:17 PM
Familiar Face

Default Reservations

I don't know why this bothers me so much, but the fact that if I reserve excursions, dinners, and drink packages before the cruise, I have to pay that before the cruise even departs. The last cruise we were on, we got billed at the end for all spa massages, dinners reserved, and excursions.. Don't know what it bothers me so, but it does .. hmmmm
Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2011, 08:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

In general, with all my different lines, I prepaid for an excursion, but, have never had to prepay for dinner entertainment or spa charges. Never heard of this before. It was charged on my sail and sign after boarding..Not sure how immediate it was to the bill.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 1st, 2011, 09:06 PM
Familiar Face

They said if we order shore excursions while on the boat, we will be charged at the end of the cruise, same with dinner reservations and drink packages. I guess if I want to make sure I can get a reservation for excursions, and not wait until getting on the boat to reserve what I want to do, then thats the price we pay...
Old July 1st, 2011, 09:09 PM
Admiral

Depending on your itinerary,and what you want to do, you have options doing excursions off the ship..something to consider.

Old July 2nd, 2011, 09:19 AM
Familiar Face

You are completely right!
Old July 2nd, 2011, 09:47 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity make you pre-pay for restaurant reservations and excursions. Also drink packages are pre-paid. I've never pre-booked a spa package so I don't have experience with how it is charged.

I really don't like the idea either. It forces you into a schedule and everyone knows that on a cruise you need to be flexible.

I can understand why the cruise lines do this. It's great for them to have the money months before you actually cruise.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 2nd, 2011, 09:54 AM
Admiral

I was not a fan of pre determining when I woud eat, and, be entertained on the Epic, but doing that, and, prepaying as well, would not make me happy either.(

Old July 2nd, 2011, 03:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Celebrity prepaids

On a recent B2B on X we decided to do Select(anytime dining). Got billed for $600 upon doing reservation, Cancelled that, went back to fixed dining.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 04:18 PM
Admiral

Prepaying any more than I have to is not what I want really, one good thing about P&O uk you can book what you want without paying up front.....BUT having said that it may be handy if you could book things in advance even if you had to pay....like specific dates for restaurant reservations.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 04:52 PM
Familiar Face

On our princess cruise we took last year, we booked excursions way in advance (3-4 months before we even stepped foot on the cruise ship) and got the excursions we wanted.. We never paid a dime for them until it was time to check out. I was glad we were able to do that because we didn't have to wait in the huuuuuuuuuuuge excursion lines, and be turned down for the ones we wanted to do.. I think we are just going to wait until we get on the ship, usually when you get off the boat, like trip said above, we can always do excursions not through the cruiseline and probably for way cheaper. I do however, like the security that I know the boat won't leave without us if we are running a few minutes late.. Hmmmm something to think about.. The way it looks, the fiance wants to just book the 2 excursions we have our hearts set on, and if we want to do something another day, then we can book it there.
Old July 3rd, 2011, 09:57 AM
Captain

As a rule we don't book many ship shore excursions. Usually do one or two and they're usually the more pricier and popular ones so we do book in advance just to make sure we don't miss out. I actually like the idea of prepaying-it helps to keep the on board account down. I was not aware that pre-booked dinner reservations had to be paid up front-don't like that idea! We've always reserved specialty restaurants on board and never had a problem getting the either the restaurant we wanted or the time we wanted. And $600 for Select dining That's pretty exorbitant isn't it?
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old July 3rd, 2011, 10:03 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacdenv24 View Post
As a rule we don't book many ship shore excursions. Usually do one or two and they're usually the more pricier and popular ones so we do book in advance just to make sure we don't miss out. I actually like the idea of prepaying-it helps to keep the on board account down. I was not aware that pre-booked dinner reservations had to be paid up front-don't like that idea! We've always reserved specialty restaurants on board and never had a problem getting the either the restaurant we wanted or the time we wanted. And $600 for Select dining That's pretty exorbitant isn't it?
I wonder if the $600 was tips ?
Celebrity take the Special dining "fees" up front as well as the excursions
Old July 3rd, 2011, 12:15 PM
Admiral

We usually only pre book an excursion that we are really interested.

We did both on HAL ,Princess and RCI . Have never been charged ahead

of time on them.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old July 3rd, 2011, 06:12 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
I wonder if the $600 was tips ?
Celebrity take the Special dining "fees" up front as well as the excursions
The $600 is tips, exact same amount you would pay on a daily basis if you did not choose Select Dining. You are not paying that money for the priviledge of having Select Dining.

There are ways around paying some of the charges if you are a member of the Captains Club.
Old July 3rd, 2011, 06:36 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjretired View Post
The $600 is tips, exact same amount you would pay on a daily basis if you did not choose Select Dining. You are not paying that money for the priviledge of having Select Dining.

There are ways around paying some of the charges if you are a member of the Captains Club.

It must have been a VERY long cruise! The poster said a B2B so I'm guessing 14 days, maybe 20 which @ $25 per couple per day would still only be $500. And that would be all gratuities, including the cabin attendant, not just dining room gratuities. Don't sound right to me
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old July 3rd, 2011, 06:40 PM
Admiral

25 nights at $12 each of a couple ...but as stated that would be all tips not just dining..
Old July 3rd, 2011, 07:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I know for the Allure of the Seas cruise I will be doing, because I could not get into any traditional dinning, I will have the open dinning. When you book and get that dinner option, you have to pre-pay your tips as part of the cruise. In some ways, I don't care for this practice, but I can see where it is worth while for the cruiseline to do it, too many would not pay any tips and who would know. It is also moneys I don't have to worry about bringing or adding to my onboard charges..

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 4th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
I know for the Allure of the Seas cruise I will be doing, because I could not get into any traditional dinning, I will have the open dinning. When you book and get that dinner option, you have to pre-pay your tips as part of the cruise. In some ways, I don't care for this practice, but I can see where it is worth while for the cruiseline to do it, too many would not pay any tips and who would know. It is also moneys I don't have to worry about bringing or adding to my onboard charges..
Absolutely and unlike the traditional dining the tips for the waiters in select dining are pooled, therefore they know they are going to get them.
Old July 4th, 2011, 08:04 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
25 nights at $12 each of a couple ...but as stated that would be all tips not just dining..
Heres the link to the amounts for the tips, don't know how long their cruise was. If you choose Select dining the amount paid for tips is exactly the same as traditional dining.

FAQ Answers
Old July 4th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Cruise Maniac

Do very few ship's excursions, do not remember ever being charged upfront. Ship's do not fill all the excursion slots before the cruise, they save a number of opennings for pax to book onboard. If you do not want to pay upfront then book your excursion on the 1st day when the excursion desk opens.

O F C'er
Old July 4th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFartCruiser View Post
Do very few ship's excursions, do not remember ever being charged upfront. Ship's do not fill all the excursion slots before the cruise, they save a number of opennings for pax to book onboard. If you do not want to pay upfront then book your excursion on the 1st day when the excursion desk opens.

O F C'er
That is generally a good idea however some popular excursions do book up completely prior to the ship sailing. This is due to the availability and popularity of on-line booking. Lots of things have changed in the internet era.
Old July 4th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjretired View Post
Heres the link to the amounts for the tips, don't know how long their cruise was. If you choose Select dining the amount paid for tips is exactly the same as traditional dining.

FAQ Answers
Well, for concierge & above it says $12/person/day for restaurant & stateroom services