Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 4th, 2011, 01:34 AM
Familiar Face

Default Drink packages...

I know this probably has been asked before, but was buying a premium drink package worth it to you? It is our honeymoon will be on and I think that just knowing that everything is paid for, and no matter what I want on the ship at any given time, I can have it!! I know this does not include room service, and i am only allowed 1 drink at a time, but my fiance is a biiiiiig hoegarden fanatic, and I personally love all the fruity cocktails. I also enjoy my sodas, energy drinks and bottled water. The way i think about it.. the one non-alcoholic drink package with all of these included is around 258$ pp....(12 night silhouette cruise) and the premium alcoholic package is about 658$ i believe.. at least 300$ of that is for non alcoholic drinks!!I know we will definately be drinking 400$ worth of alcohol each.. so I guess i answered my own question about if its worth it to buy or not And the fact that I would not need to worry how much our bar bill is growing makes it worth it as well..
Sponsored Links
Old July 4th, 2011, 02:12 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I'm glad we were able to help
Old July 4th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Admiral

I think these plans are an awful lot of money....
I also don't see this "all paid for before we go" thing..I would rather have it, put it on a credit card & pay for in about 6 weeks time.
Old July 4th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Admiral

I don't do the drink packages since I don't drink enough to justify it however do have one tip for those purchasing the drink package. If you purchase it once you are on board wait until you depart and are out at sea. If you buy it while docked they are obliged to charge you sales tax if applicable for the port you are leaving from.

Same goes for Ipods or such at the Istore. At sea there is no sales tax.
Old July 4th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I like the idea of the drink packages but I could never cost justify them. At $658 my wife and I would be much better off doing a "pay as you go". I will have a premium coffee each morning plus I will drink four or five sodas each day and maybe one or two drinks per day. My wife will probably have four or five mixed drinks per day. This works out to about $25/day for me and $35-$40/day for her. We also have a bottle of wine two or three times on a cruise for a total around $100. That is a total of $65/day and on a 12 day cruise and $100 for wine. The total for that would be around $880. With the premium drink package at $658/pp it isn't worth it. When I have a cocktail I drink the good swill.

For someone who drinks seven or eight top shelf drinks per day it would be worth it but otherwise it's best to pay as you go.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 4th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Admiral

You will be changed a 15% gratuity for each beverage as you acquire that way the right crew member gets their due. (If I read the package information correctly.)

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old July 4th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
You will be changed a 15% gratuity for each beverage as you acquire that way the right crew member gets their due. (If I read the package information correctly.)
You get charged the gratuity when you purchase the package but you do not then pay for it each time you get a drink....You don't pay the tip twice..

If you don't buy the package you will charged the tip for each drink as you buy them except on the Eclipse while it is currently in England. Last year when Eclipse was first homeported in England there were so many complaints about the gratuity automatically added to the drinks they made a change this year. You no longer are charged the tip but it is added into the cost of the drink. Effectively, however the drinks are the same price.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 03:14 PM
Welcome Newcomer

The itinerary that you are sailing may come into play, as a lot of people find it more beneficial to have the different drink packages if they have more sea days than port days. Last fall, I did an Eastern Med cruise that was very port intensive and spent time considering whether any of the drink packages would be worth it to me. I ultimately purchased the premium alcohol drink package and after taking the cruise, still think it was a great decision.

My habits may not be reflective of yours or others on these boards, but I like to start my day with a cup or two of espresso and also to have one after dinner. Add to that a bottle of water or vitamin water to take off the ship with me in port, a martini or two before dinner and two glasses of wine with dinner, and then another bottle of water to take back to the room with me. Even on the port days it came close to "breaking even" or did break even. On the sea days, it was nice having a few drinks with lunch and while relaxing by the pool.

It was also nice not having to sign slips, and the service remained top notch.

Again, for me it was worth it but it may be different for you.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 10:27 PM
Welcome Newcomer

We are considering one of the drink packages. We both drink alot of soda and he doesn't drink as much alcohol as I do, but if we had the drink package, he might think about drinking more. Not having to worry about a bar tab at the end of the cruise is nice. On another note, has anyoe ha any trouble taking alcohol on either in their luggage or as carry on. It would be nice to have a drink in my room without having to go to a bar to get it.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 12:22 AM
Admiral

Off to:
This is from Celebrity's official alcohol policy on their website:

"Guests are not allowed to bring beer or hard liquor onboard for consumption or any other use. Guests wishing to bring personal wine onboard with them at the beginning of the cruise may do so, limited to two (2) bottles per stateroom, but when consumed in any shipboard restaurant, bar, or dining venue, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of calls or from the onboard shops will be stored by the ship and delivered to guest's staterooms on the last day of the sailing.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Celebrity Cruises’ Guest Conduct Policy may be enforced, up to and including disembarkation, if a guest violates any alcohol policy. Guests under the age of twentyone (21) will not have alcohol returned to them.

Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age twentyone (21), demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy."

That said - many people do try to sneak alcohol aboard. There are many threads here in these forums on the subject and the internet at large.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old August 24th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by off to alaska View Post
We are considering one of the drink packages. We both drink alot of soda and he doesn't drink as much alcohol as I do, but if we had the drink package, he might think about drinking more. Not having to worry about a bar tab at the end of the cruise is nice. On another note, has anyoe ha any trouble taking alcohol on either in their luggage or as carry on. It would be nice to have a drink in my room without having to go to a bar to get it.
They are very strict about complying with the rules, if they are found you will be required to go to what has been called the "naughty room" to have the policy explaned and get a receipt for return at the end of the cruise. Same goes for irons and steamers...
Old August 24th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Can't justify that much for drinks. Much rather pay for what I drink when I get home. Just put it on the card and pay later.
Old August 25th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

When we were on the Century for my bd in March, we bought a wine package which included 2 nites of Opus One and the rest Dom P. The money we saved more or less equated to the gratuity. We thought we did ok as other cruise lines did not have this type of package, which allowed us to spend more on other things.
Cheers, a votre sante, bottoms up, down the hatch, and Happy Cruising!
Old May 24th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Admiral

We're debating either the Classic or the Premium for our upcoming Equinox Cruise. Any experience lately with them? I'm not a huge drinker but I do my share

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old May 24th, 2012, 07:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
We're debating either the Classic or the Premium for our upcoming Equinox Cruise. Any experience lately with them? I'm not a huge drinker but I do my share
I actually booked a premium package and then cancelled it. It was a port intensive cruise.

What many cruisers do is they monitor their consumption for a couple of days and then decide.

Now I drink every day and have lattes etc but to be honest my tab came nowhere close to the cost of the package.

My unscientific observations were approx 10% customers had packages.

Annie
Old May 24th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Admiral

Yes, I'm on the fence about just waiting. As much as I like to have things paid for in advance when travelling. I wouldn't mind checking out the prices of drinks beforehand. Classic would be definitely be fine for DH. But I'm the Martini, Grand Marnier and Champagne drinker. We average about $100 spending a day but we've been travelling with friends the past few cruises and I'm not sure if that's increasing our alcohol spending or not We also have a bit of OBC that we could put towards it. I have no doubts we could make it pay

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets