Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 24th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Admiral

The Alcoves are not per person, they are per Alcove as per the Press Release. The question was asked on Facebook and answered by Celebrity. Just one person needs to book it and it's good for up to 4 people.

To me they don't look that comfy, they need loungers and it's really disappointing that they don't face the water.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old July 24th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
The Alcoves are not per person, they are per Alcove as per the Press Release. The question was asked on Facebook and answered by Celebrity. Just one person needs to book it and it's good for up to 4 people.

To me they don't look that comfy, they need loungers and it's really disappointing that they don't face the water.

Thanks for clearing that up! I've been trying to access My Celebrity to see if they've corrected it yet but the site is "under maintenance"
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old July 24th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Sorry I got you confused DKJ..

It never fails to amaze me how the people at "this other site" can be so gullible. Do you mean to tell me people have actually been paying "per person" for those alcoves?

Honestly, I thought they were nice but I personaly would never pay that much to sit in them. They are exposed to the weather, they do face the lawn (not the sea) - you will have people walking by looking in all the time, and you have to pay extra for food, etc. And by the way, Wi-fi is extra.

I just don't get it. I could see paying up to $49/day for as many people as I care to invite, but $149 for a max of 4 people seemed overpriced to me.
Old July 24th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Captain

I finally managed to access my booking in My Celebrity. The Alcoves are listed under Specialty Dining. For a sea day, it clearly states "price per person $149" and for port days "price per person $99". If in fact this is an error, they'd better rectify it pretty quickly or else there will be very few bookings-if any!
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old July 24th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
DKJ...

I seems to me the booking engine might just say "$149 per person" because they don't have another way to list it. I can't see the booking engine because I don't have a reservation.

If you go to book it, does it ask you how many people you plan to include in the reservation? That would mean they really plan to charge per person, but I tend to doubt that.

You could go ahead and try to book one - I am pretty sure you can cancel a reservation you make online if you change your mind.

I just tried what you suggested-actually making a booking. There is a drop down menu asking how many persons. But maybe you're right-because it's listed under Specialty Restaurants, they have no other way to market it? Surely some CT could figure this out
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old July 24th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Okay...

Once again in their defense it is possible they ask how many persons so they know how many towels and bottles of water to bring.

Now - if you tell me the PRICE GOES UP PER PERSON that is a completely different story. That is ridiculous mistake and they need to rectify that.

Funny RCCL is usally pretty on top of their web site, but not in this case. I guess.
Old July 24th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Admiral

Quote:

It never fails to amaze me how the people at "this other site" can be so gullible. Do you mean to tell me people have actually been paying "per person" for those alcoves?

Honestly, I thought they were nice but I personaly would never pay that much to sit in them. They are exposed to the weather, they do face the lawn (not the sea) - you will have people walking by looking in all the time, and you have to pay extra for food, etc. And by the way, Wi-fi is extra.

I just don't get it. I could see paying up to $49/day for as many people as I care to invite, but $149 for a max of 4 people seemed overpriced to me.
Paul:

I absolutely agree with you the price is outrageous. I'll give you a bit of a comparision which I found a couple of months ago. I went to Typhoon Lagoon in Disney and they have cabana's which cost $150.00 per person per cabana. However for that price you get up to four all day drink cups, TV, and Ipod docking station. The drink cups if purchased seperately are half the price. I have the same thing at my time share in Disney and you get the cabana, TV, and a refrigerator for $75.00 a day. Either of those I found to be of value but there is no way I would pay $149.00 per person for a negligble return.
Old July 25th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Internet packages

Great post!

I am on the next sailing of Silhouette, and I was wondering if you could tell me what the internet packages are? I can't find any info on my booking or the web site as to specifics.

Thanks,
Old July 25th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Administrator
Admiral

The Internet packages start at $.75 per minute but get as cheap as $.28 per minute if you pre-pay about $200. Packages of lesser amounts are pro-rated to cost equivalent amounts per minute tho I dont remember exactly.

It certainly isn't cheap - you will probably pay about $.40 to $.50 minute if you pre-pay, unless you buy the biggest package.
Old July 25th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Administrator
Admiral

And by the way - I still say the cost of the alcoves is $149 per unit, not per person. If they ask how many people will be there it is only for planning reasons. If people at other sites are overpaying then they will have to settle that later.
Old July 25th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to ken45 Send a message via MSN to ken45 Send a message via Yahoo to ken45

Paul,

I like your posts, but please proofread them b/f you post.

Thanks,

Ken
Old July 25th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Familiar Face

Are they going to have lounge chairs in the Alcoves area as well the one over size sofa chair?
Old July 25th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Admiral

Default Question to Paul Motter

Quote:

Friends of ours just booked the Silhouette for the March 17 ,2012 cruise .
Are there ,in your opinion any negatives regarding this ship ?
Old July 26th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Admiral

Quote:
And by the way - I still say the cost of the alcoves is $149 per unit, not per person. If they ask how many people will be there it is only for planning reasons. If people at other sites are overpaying then they will have to settle that later.
I would still like to see what the correct answer is, the press release really doesn't say either way. The other point that I'm curious about has not been discussed. If it is per person and you book with say your wife/husband, do you take the chance that you may wind up sharing the Alcove with another couple.

Celebrity really needs to clairify the Alcove pricing confusion.
Old July 26th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken45 View Post
Paul,

I like your posts, but please proofread them b/f you post.

Thanks,

Ken
You mean you can't read my mind?
Old July 26th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
Friends of ours just booked the Silhouette for the March 17 ,2012 cruise .
Are there ,in your opinion any negatives regarding this ship ?
Yes - there are many negatives - there is no roller coaster, you can't roller skate in the dining room, if you need to disembark on a sea day it is not allowed, there are no kingsized beds in the bathrooms, the balcony is outside making it subject to changes in the weather.

Oh, and did I mention there is no IMAX movie theater?

( - just kidding Henry. I am not sure where you get your questions, but they have a certain "universal" appeal akin to "how do I love thee, let me count the ways")
Old July 26th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Administrator
Admiral

This press release right here says...

The Alcoves can be booked online for full-day rentals, from 9 am to 9 pm, or even for the entire voyage. Rates are $99 per Alcove per day on days in port, and $149 per day on days at sea.

Press Room Details
Old July 26th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise47 View Post
Are they going to have lounge chairs in the Alcoves area as well the one over size sofa chair?
See the picture below - they have a chaise plus two chairs with ottomans..

Old July 26th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Admiral

Not that we have been on loads of ships but the Solstice class are the very best so far for us.
Old July 26th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Here is your OFFICIAL answer on the Alcoves (pretty much what I have been saying )

Hi Paul --

The pricing for The Alcoves is a set price per-Alcove, with each Alcove accommodating up to four people. The cost is not per-person; however, there currently is a system glitch that does imply otherwise. Work is now underway to resolve that technical difficulty asap....

Thanks for asking, Paul --
Liz

Elizabeth Jakeway
Director, Public Relations
Celebrity Cruises®
Old July 27th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Admiral

Default My questions

Quote:
Yes - there are many negatives - there is no roller coaster, you can't roller skate in the dining room, if you need to disembark on a sea day it is not allowed, there are no kingsized beds in the bathrooms, the balcony is outside making it subject to changes in the weather.

Oh, and did I mention there is no IMAX movie theater?

( - just kidding Henry. I am not sure where you get your questions, but they have a certain "universal" appeal akin to "how do I love thee, let me count the ways")

My questions originate from Funk & Wagnalls
Old July 28th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Familiar Face

Default room storage

We have yet to sail on a Solstice class ship. However, I keep reading about the lack of storage space in the cabins. Have they improved on that for the Silhouette? I realize you are a guy and you are on a short cruise, so please answer thinking of us ladies or even a couple on a two week cruise. Thank you!
Old July 28th, 2011, 11:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Matey, that was my concern when we sailed the Eclipse. Small bureau storage, and, the far side of the closet was tough to get at. We were just on for 2 days, and we both thought, that for a longer cruise it, would tough going...

Another surprising thing, was the ladies rooms on board, especially by the theater, and larger public spaces, only had like 3 stalls. I hope they changed all of the above on the Silhouette.

I still adored the ship

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 28th, 2011, 11:10 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The bathrooms have plenty of storage. I also find it unusual for cruise ships to always provide closet space rather than drawers but that is what they do. Is there is plenty of closet space, so if you don't mind hanging up your clothes then there is no problem.
Old July 29th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Admiral

I am counting the days till I board the ship
Old July 29th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Henry...

It is very hard to find things to criticize about the Solstice class. The only one I have ever herad is that the dance floor in the Sky Lounge is not wood (which real dancers need for its slidability).

Other than that... I can't think of anything.
Old July 29th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Paul...lucky for you, you don't use the ladies room...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 31st, 2011, 09:31 AM
Familiar Face

Paul, Thanks for taking your time to answering my question and all the questions asked to you on this board. :-)
Old July 31st, 2011, 06:41 PM
Admiral

Default Paul

Quote:
Henry...

It is very hard to find things to criticize about the Solstice class. The only one I have ever herad is that the dance floor in the Sky Lounge is not wood (which real dancers need for its slidability).

Other than that... I can't think of anything.
I started this thread prior to booking the cruise .Now I am "hooked " and can't wait to be on it.
Old August 7th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Admiral

no worries about the lawn chair saving hogs by the pool though (hefty price on alcoves)

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
139 days total

Booked: Celebrity Silhouette November 23, 2014