Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 27th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Admiral

Default Never would have thought of this

Celebrity is negotiating with Australian authorities over whether they will allow the Solstice to sail into Australia. The reason: Biosecurity concerns over the Lawn Club.

Hanrahan, Australians to confer on Lawn Club biosecurity
Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Nor would I.....I think they have a legitimate concern,and, I am sure the end result, will be a positive one.

I bet RCI never even gave this a thought, or possibly, thought the ship would never sail so far afield? I wonder if other countires will now show concern....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 27th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Admiral

I am sure that they will find a way to handle this issue.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old July 28th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Admiral

Linda,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
Nor would I.....I think they have a legitimate concern,and, I am sure the end result, will be a positive one.

I bet RCI never even gave this a thought, or possibly, thought the ship would never sail so far afield? I wonder if other countires will now show concern....
This actually does not affect RCI (Royal Caribbean International), Celebrity's sister line, at all, or at least not yet, as RCI does not have any ships with live lawns. It's certainly plausible that Celebrity's parent company, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (RCCL), might have vetoed the "Lawn Club" concept if the issue had been considered, though!

That said, there is a reality that oceans and deserts are natural barriers to migration of viruses (viri?) and other biogens that may be agents of disease, of which vegetation on a ship could be a carrier.

But from Don's link (boldface added):

Quote:
The service added: ‘AQIS applauds the shipping line and their agents for putting biosecurity high on their agenda and making enquiries well in advance of visiting Australia.’
So it appears that management at Celebrity Cruises anticipated potential issues well in advance and took steps to address them proactively, much to their credit. It seems unlikely that Australian authorities will turn the ship away. OTOH, a plethora of countries requiring extensive treatments of the "Lawh Club" with expensive or nasty chemicals could well spell the end of the "Lawn Club" concept.

Norm.
Old July 29th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17 View Post
Linda,

This actually does not affect RCI (Royal Caribbean International), Celebrity's sister line, at all, or at least not yet, as RCI does not have any ships with live lawns. It's certainly plausible that Celebrity's parent company, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (RCCL), might have vetoed the "Lawn Club" concept if the issue had been considered, though!

That said, there is a reality that oceans and deserts are natural barriers to migration of viruses (viri?) and other biogens that may be agents of disease, of which vegetation on a ship could be a carrier.

But from Don's link (boldface added):

So it appears that management at Celebrity Cruises anticipated potential issues well in advance and took steps to address them proactively, much to their credit. It seems unlikely that Australian authorities will turn the ship away. OTOH, a plethora of countries requiring extensive treatments of the "Lawh Club" with expensive or nasty chemicals could well spell the end of the "Lawn Club" concept.

Norm.
I agree but what struck me as unusual with this was that Hanrahan is involved in the negotiations. Seems there could be a problem or it would be handled by those a little lower on the totem pole. I also understand that Australia and New Zealand have some of the strictest regulations on Bio-Security. At the very least if this becomes serious which I don't think it will they could switch one of the M class ships to do the trips.
Old August 1st, 2011, 06:58 PM
Admiral

Don,

Quote:
... what struck me as unusual with this was that Hanrahan is involved in the negotiations. Seems there could be a problem or it would be handled by those a little lower on the totem pole.
Yes, I agree with you completely on this.

It's certainly very plausible that Mr. Hanrahan's presence in Australia is political (a perception that the authorities are more likely to approve some course of treatment of the lawn if he is there personally, for example), but there's also another scenario....

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
At the very least if this becomes serious which I don't think it will they could switch one of the M class ships to do the trips.
... That would not be an easy solution. According to the schedule on Celebrity's web site, this ship will reposition from Australia to Ensenada via Honolulu in April of 2013 -- which strongly suggests that she subsequently will operate a Pacific Coastal Wine Cruise from San Diego to Vancouver in May followed by cruises to Alaska in the summer of 2013, increasing capacity in that market. Any difficulties with Australian authorities clearly would disrupt that plan.

So the question is what to do if Australian authorities refuse to allow the ship into port because of the natural lawn. The alternative would be to replace the lawn with something else, most likely when the ship visits a shipyard, before she goes to Australia. An Astroturf (R) (or other synthetic) lawn would certainly be one option. Another option would be to replace the Lawn Club with a new feature (perhaps a topside biergarten, for example). Of course, this sort of replacement requires a certain amount of planning and budgeting, which clearly falls within Mr. Hanrahan's personal purview.

Norm.
Old August 1st, 2011, 07:55 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

They are already also sending Century to Australia.

It is a legitinate concern, Australia ia an island nation and probably does not have many indigenous pests.

Here is AZ they have to watch citrus very carefully, and the only border check we have with California is for plant life. We don't want any of that Floridian citrus canker down here.

Honestly - I think they would take the lawn out and put is astroturf before they would switch ships. They can always replant it. It isn't as if that grass does much of anthing practical.
Old August 1st, 2011, 09:24 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
They are already also sending Century to Australia.

It is a legitinate concern, Australia ia an island nation and probably does not have many indigenous pests.

Here is AZ they have to watch citrus very carefully, and the only border check we have with California is for plant life. We don't want any of that Floridian citrus canker down here.

Honestly - I think they would take the lawn out and put is astroturf before they would switch ships. They can always replant it. It isn't as if that grass does much of anthing practical.

Paul:

Its funny but you are right, the lawn itself doesn't really do anything but regardless, it is very, very popular.
Old August 1st, 2011, 09:26 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Don,

Yes, I agree with you completely on this.

It's certainly very plausible that Mr. Hanrahan's presence in Australia is political (a perception that the authorities are more likely to approve some course of treatment of the lawn if he is there personally, for example), but there's also another scenario....

... That would not be an easy solution. According to the schedule on Celebrity's web site, this ship will reposition from Australia to Ensenada via Honolulu in April of 2013 -- which strongly suggests that she subsequently will operate a Pacific Coastal Wine Cruise from San Diego to Vancouver in May followed by cruises to Alaska in the summer of 2013, increasing capacity in that market. Any difficulties with Australian authorities clearly would disrupt that plan.

So the question is what to do if Australian authorities refuse to allow the ship into port because of the natural lawn. The alternative would be to replace the lawn with something else, most likely when the ship visits a shipyard, before she goes to Australia. An Astroturf (R) (or other synthetic) lawn would certainly be one option. Another option would be to replace the Lawn Club with a new feature (perhaps a topside biergarten, for example). Of course, this sort of replacement requires a certain amount of planning and budgeting, which clearly falls within Mr. Hanrahan's personal purview.

Norm.
Norm:

Nothing to do with the lawn but in case you are not aware, Michaels Club on all ships are being turned into Brew Pubs.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 05:43 PM
Admiral

Don,

Quote:
Nothing to do with the lawn but in case you are not aware, Michaels Club on all ships are being turned into Brew Pubs.
Yes, I did hear that somewhere.

Brew pubs are pretty popular these days, but it will be interesting to see how it works out on Celebrity. In the past, Celebrity seemed to draw a lot more of a wine and martini crowd than a beer crowd, but perhaps the line is now targeting a different demographic?

This begs the question about the lack of a "Rondezvous Square" aboard the ships of the Celebrity Solstice class. Does one of the lounges aboard these ships have a live combo that plays ballroom dance music?

Norm.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 06:34 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Don,

... That would not be an easy solution. According to the schedule on Celebrity's web site, this ship will reposition from Australia to Ensenada via Honolulu in April of 2013 -- which strongly suggests that she subsequently will operate a Pacific Coastal Wine Cruise from San Diego to Vancouver in May followed by cruises to Alaska in the summer of 2013, increasing capacity in that market.
No Way, No How is Solstice coming to Vancouver. She won't fit under the Lions Gate Bridge. If she does Alaska, she'll have to be based in Seattle. Maybe a Coastal from Ensenada to Seattle?

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old August 2nd, 2011, 09:34 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Don,

Yes, I did hear that somewhere.

Brew pubs are pretty popular these days, but it will be interesting to see how it works out on Celebrity. In the past, Celebrity seemed to draw a lot more of a wine and martini crowd than a beer crowd, but perhaps the line is now targeting a different demographic?

This begs the question about the lack of a "Rondezvous Square" aboard the ships of the Celebrity Solstice class. Does one of the lounges aboard these ships have a live combo that plays ballroom dance music?

Norm.
Norm:

There is a bar right outside of the customer service area that has a small dance floor and plays ballroom dance music. It is not a big area and there have been complaints that they do not have a Rendezvous lounge as on all the previous ships. The lounge is either the Passport bar or the Ensemble lounge, very small dance floor.

Also, I believe the Brew Pubs are going to be more like Sports Bars....
Old August 3rd, 2011, 06:04 PM
Admiral

Don,

Quote:
There is a bar right outside of the customer service area that has a small dance floor and plays ballroom dance music. It is not a big area and there have been complaints that they do not have a Rendezvous lounge as on all the previous ships. The lounge is either the Passport bar or the Ensemble lounge, very small dance floor.
Thank you for the information. I'm not really surprised, as I had noticed the absence of a "Rendezvous Square" on the deck plans. I hope that the line is getting enough complaints so somebody will decide to retrofit a lounge with a larger dance area!

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Also, I believe the Brew Pubs are going to be more like Sports Bars....
That would not be a surprise, as sports bars are also immensely popular now. Nonetheless, it's still catering to a different demographic than Celebrity's past practice.

Norm.
Old August 4th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Don,

Thank you for the information. I'm not really surprised, as I had noticed the absence of a "Rendezvous Square" on the deck plans. I hope that the line is getting enough complaints so somebody will decide to retrofit a lounge with a larger dance area!

That would not be a surprise, as sports bars are also immensely popular now. Nonetheless, it's still catering to a different demographic than Celebrity's past practice.

Norm.
Agree with you, I would guess that they have been getting quite a few complaints on their comment cards about a lack of a dance floor but at this point who knows. It doesn't seem that long but Solstice will be due for some kind of a drydock in the future, I believe she's approaching four years old or so.
Old August 4th, 2011, 05:30 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to richsea

Norm, I think that you have a misconception regarding the craft beer drinker. You're not talkng about the person who is the everyday beer drinker, although I think they will be interested in checking out the new Michaels' Club. I don't think that Celebrity is necessarily aiming their marketing at them, but to to a different demographic of beer drinker; one who appreciates fine beers , much as a "wine snob" appreciates "fine wine". These are people who think that drinking a Bud, or Heinekin, is akin to drinking a Gallo wine. Those who like the new Wine Cellar are like those who will appreciate the craft beers served in Michael's Club.

I just hope that they keep the piano.
Old August 4th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Admiral

richsea,

Quote:
Norm, I think that you have a misconception regarding the craft beer drinker. You're not talkng about the person who is the everyday beer drinker, although I think they will be interested in checking out the new Michaels' Club. I don't think that Celebrity is necessarily aiming their marketing at them, but to to a different demographic of beer drinker; one who appreciates fine beers , much as a "wine snob" appreciates "fine wine". These are people who think that drinking a Bud, or Heinekin, is akin to drinking a Gallo wine. Those who like the new Wine Cellar are like those who will appreciate the craft beers served in Michael's Club.
That's an interesting question. I can't say that I have noticed such a difference between in the folks around me who drink beer frequently and those who drink the less expensive varieties, but I tend to travel in circles that prefer wine rather over beer so I won't claim to be an expert. But even in wines, price is not always the best indicator. I have tasted some very expensive wines that I would never buy, and some inexpensive wines are surprisingly good. Wine conoisseurs won't hesitate to drink the latter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I just hope that they keep the piano.
If Michael's Club becomes a sports bar, the piano undoubtedly will move elsewhere -- but I doubt that it will go away. When it comes to providing live entertainment in a lounge, a singer-pianist is one of the most economical options for the cruise line since it's just one salary.

However, that does raise another issue. In a closed room like Michael's Club, it's very easy to maintain constant temperature and humidity so the piano will stay in tune for a long time. In a more open location such as a lounge in a ship's central atrium, OTOH, controlling the temperature is much more difficult so a piano would require frequent tuning. Piano tuners don't work for free, so this could add considerably to the cost of a piano lounge.

Norm.
Old August 4th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Admiral

What does cost have to do with a craft beer? they're just made in smaller batches - more like a boutique winery. It's the same as a winery that makes 5,000 cases versus one that makes 100,000. Cost has nothing to do with it...she says whilst waiting to crack her Heinekin

Hawaii By land x 2
Old August 5th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Admiral

Trackypup,

Quote:
What does cost have to do with a craft beer? they're just made in smaller batches - more like a boutique winery. It's the same as a winery that makes 5,000 cases versus one that makes 100,000. Cost has nothing to do with it...she says whilst waiting to crack her Heinekin
Craft beers usually have higher production costs than standard beers due to the small size of the batch. Basically, the cost of labor to produce a bacth, including preparation of ingredients (potientailly by hand) beforehand and cleaning out equipment afterward, is amortized over a lot fewer glasses. OTOH, the lack of shipping and wholesale costs often offset some of this since most craft beers are served only at the brewery that produces them or perhaps another nearby brew pub owned by the same company.

A "premium" beer originally was a beer that was good enough to command a higher price ("premium") sufficient cover the cost of shipping it from the place where it was produced another market. Over time, the term "premium beer" came to mean any beer sold beyond the local market where it was produced. With the introduction of large scale production in the industiral age, it became possible to undercut production costs to the point that beers brewed in large batches could undercut local brews, and thus gain widespread distribution and status as "premium" beers.

And now, paradoxically, most craft beers are NOT "premium" beers because they are sold only where they are produced, yet they command higher prices than many "premium" beers....

Norm.
Old August 5th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Admiral

Sorry, still not seeing the correlation. That's like saying buying a Mouton, Latour, or Opus should cost less than a 5,000 bottle winery in Oregon. While I agree that the size of the production "can" influence the price, it usually doesn't when we're looking at liquor.

Hawaii By land x 2