Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 16th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Captain

Question Cuisine

So, we are booked on the Silouette in Jan. I booked and pre-paid for 2 specialty restaurants, Murano and the Lawn Garden Grill. At the time I booked, the menu for the Lawn Grill was not yet posted but I liked the idea of eating outside on the top deck (almost) and grilling our own food-just sounded like fun. Well, the menu has been posted and now I'm not so sure. The choices are pretty well what we BBQ at home. So now we are considering switching to Cuisine? The menu looks very interesting although a little confusing. I know a lot of CMs have eaten there and my questions are a)Do they have tables for 2 or do you have to eat with a group and B)can you order as much as you want or just one item from each section of the menu? Thanks for any info.
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Sponsored Links
Old September 16th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Qsine, to my mind seems like a lunch destination, more than a dinner option. Since I was on the media cruise,and we were all packed in there, I don't remember seating for two, but I think the tables may have been arranged that day, for our viewing.

My experience was different but, maybe DK, will pop in to advise you, of how you order off that fabulous Ipad!

The custom made dislplay pieces to showcase the foods ,and just the uniqueness of this venue is fun!

Murano was decadent... consider too, the Tuscan Grill which was delish!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; September 16th, 2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old September 16th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Captain

Thanks Trip! We picked Murano because we so enjoyed Ocean Liners on the Constellation and the menu looks similar. I'm not big on Italian cuisine so we steered away from the Tuscan. Decisions! Decisions!
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old September 16th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Admiral

Qsine...is just odd, the idea is to share things, no set courses, order what you want as much as you want in the order you want. The menu & wine list are on an electronic reader gizmo thing. I liked it my wife didn't. We loved Ocean Liners on Constellation, in fact I say it was the best meal & have ever had anywhere! was not so fond of Murano it was a bit too formal & quiet. We both thought Tuscan grill our favourite, great stuff!. We only used the MDR once & that was fine, the Bistro on 5 was a good lunch spot.
Old September 16th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Captain

Thanks John-you gave me a good idea of how Qsine operates. I like small portions of many different things so would probably enjoy it. DH on the other hand prefers a more traditional meal i.e. a big plate of meat,potatoes and veggie. Think I'll check out the menu for Murano again. One thing's for sure-we ain't gonna starve!
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old September 16th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Admiral

I THINK....he would like Tuscan grill...it ain't THAT Italian if you see what I mean, stunning French onion soup to start for instance..it's more of an Italian style steak house really..you can get menu's up on their website. My experience was on Eclipse the ''inaugural'' short voyage. I would go back on any solstice class in a moment....I just wish they all had that hydrotherapy pool like Connie!
Old September 17th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

We ate in the Murano every night during our March cruise on board the Century. We had a table for 2 by the window. The staff there was outstanding, catering to our every whim. We ordered off the menu many nights and had special desserts prepared for us table side. The food was delicious, as Celebrity usually is. Don't know about Qsine, but if I had my druthers, would eat every night in Murano, if the ship has one.
Going on Eclipse for Thanksgiving and eating nightly in Tuscan Grill (we are Italian and love the food) and cannot wait! Going on Millenium for Christmas and eating in Olympic Restaurant nightly. We were on her before and ate there nightly--food was excellent there as well, as was service, presentation, and decore.
I can eat BBQ in my backyard or at lunch in the Lido, but do not have servers who present food to you and husband at the same time with white napkins.
Whatever you choose, hope you enjoy it! MANGIA!
Old September 17th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Captain

Just finished going over the menus yet AGAIN DH is concerned that whatever night we reserve the Lawn Grill, it will likely rain or be chilly. He's such a pessimist and really doesn't care for el fresco dining anyhow. I think we'll probably switch to Tuscan Grill-like johnthedog said, it's not really totally Italian,quite a few options. We're going to check out Qsine once we're on board-if it looks like something we'd enjoy then we'll try and get a reservation. If not, no big deal. And I too will miss the thelassotherapy pool. We've sailed the Connie twice and thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought the Solstice Class had them also but, alas, not so. Sigh
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old September 17th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Admiral

Just goes to show, we would lose the will to live dining in Murano every night, or any of the speciality venues really, we like a civilised dinner but you can have too much of it. We like the busy atmosphere of a MDR too. Sometimes on P&O we use the self serve especially on one of the themed nights like Indian.
Old September 18th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Captain

Even if we could afford to dine in a specialty restaurant every night, we wouldn't. It would cease to be special I enjoy meeting new people in the MDR and overall find the food very good.......on Celebrity.
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old September 18th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Admiral

While I have enjoyed dining in Murano, I must admit to getting antsy, after about 2 hours...Giving cruisers so many great dining options, along with the main dr, makes me a happy cruiser.

Old September 18th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Admiral

What I like about the bigger ships is more choice of dining, & more choice of entertainment.
Old September 18th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Admiral

In 180 days I shall be on the Silhouette .For me its MDR only .
Old September 18th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Admiral

Henry, you will be missing out so much, on this class Celebrity ship.....

Old September 18th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
In 180 days I shall be on the Silhouette .For me its MDR only .
..........Why?
Old September 19th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Admiral

johnthed0g,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
..........Why?
At $35 per person per occasion, the cost of dining in Celebrity's specialty restaurants adds up pretty quickly -- $490 for a party of two to dine there every evening of a seven night cruise. For those who have money to burn, that's fine, but many of us -- especially those of us who try to take two or three cruises per year, most of which are ten nights or more -- can find plenty of other uses for that sum.

Also, don't forget that the cost of dining in a specialty restaurant is NOT just $35 per person. Rather, it's $35 per person plus the cost of the meal that you are not eating in the main dining room. To put this in American terms, you are not paying $35 per person to dine at Capital Grill. Rather, you are paying $35 per person extra to dine at Capital Grill instead if dining at Seasons 52. The specialty restaurants are nice, but I'm really not sure that they are worth the difference.

Also, for those of us who look forward to making new friends on a cruise, the fixed seating in the main dining rooms offer a chance to do just that. We simply request a large table, where we are seated with a variety of other passengers, and the duration of a cruise affords us time to get to know one another fairly well. One probably will not find a similar arrangement in the specialty restaurants.

Finally, don't forget that Celebrity's main dining rooms feature a different menu each night of the cruise whereas the specialty restaurants have fixed menus. thus, over the course of a cruise, the main dining rooms actually have a much greater variety of choices.

The bottom line here is that I'm willing to go to a specialty restaurant if my table decides to go as a group, if I'm travelling with somebody who has never experienced that type of restaurant, or if there's a special occasion during the cruise. In the absence of such situations, however, I normally don't bother -- esipecially now that the fully synchronized service and other truly upscale elements are gone.

Norm.
Old September 19th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Admiral

I have been cruising with Celebrity since the early 90s. The Specialty restaurants are equivalent to dining in the MDR at that period of time. The food and service was significently better and that is what you get in the Specialties now. We usually do one per cruise, enjoy the MDR but lately have been booking AQ for Blu.