Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 18th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Dining in Blu

We're booked in the new Aqua Class cabins being installed on deck 11 of the Summit this upcoming Februrary. We've only sailed on the Millenium class ships always in Concierge class. The main reason for going to Aqua Class this time is the location of the cabins and dining in the Blu Restaurant. For those of you who dined in Blu on the Solstace class ships can you share your experience? Is Blu open or assigned seating? Does Blu have the formal nights like the main dining room or is it "business casual" for the whole cruise? I'm assuming the food is excellent.
Sponsored Links
Old September 19th, 2011, 07:54 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibvo View Post
We're booked in the new Aqua Class cabins being installed on deck 11 of the Summit this upcoming Februrary. We've only sailed on the Millenium class ships always in Concierge class. The main reason for going to Aqua Class this time is the location of the cabins and dining in the Blu Restaurant. For those of you who dined in Blu on the Solstace class ships can you share your experience? Is Blu open or assigned seating? Does Blu have the formal nights like the main dining room or is it "business casual" for the whole cruise? I'm assuming the food is excellent.
Blu is totally anytime dining. Upon booking you should pick a traditional dining time which is only a procedural thing. You will receive a letter in your stateroom stating they request you to go the first night at the assigned time. You do not have to, it is only a request. After that you may go at anytime you wish.

The issue of dress has some controversy, on Celebrity's web site they state in a couple of dozen locations that Blu is a Specialty restaurant. Also, on the web site all Specialty restaruants are "smart casual" every night regardless of the formal designation in the MDR. This has caused problems because people are packing and not bringing formal clothes based upon the web site. On both my AQ cruises Blu was "smart casual". With all that being said, many are coming back and saying the dress code is the same as the MDR, formal on formal nights. Just another problem that Celebrity needs to addrss with conflicting statements.

Blu has excellent food, first night on most ships has been a very nice filet mignon. I enjoyed the lobster very much. They also will have three every night items, a steak, chicken dinner and a fish dish. Blu generally is a more intimate location than the MDR, they have very few large tables as most are two or four tops.

Finally, if the food in Blu is not to your liking you may go eat in the MDR.
Old September 19th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Admiral

Well DKJ has said it all, and in full accuracy, I just wanted to add that we loved Blu and the whole Aqua experience.

The waiters in Blu were very well informed about the food & added immensly to hte dining experience, but for us, yes we're sad people, one of the highlights of eating in Blu was the presentation of the soups !!
Each night the bowl would appear in front of you with a couple of the component elements of the soup already in place, then the soup was poured over them from a small vessel.
We always took a sneaky-peek at what the contents were that night, and by the end even the waiters were taking a look and best guessing what the items were that night.

Very silly, but all good fun,

Have a brilliant time on board - and not just in the restaurants

Alan & Katrina

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam, Aza.Journey
Old September 19th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I can honestly say this is the prettiest dining room picture I ever took. Sadly, I was not assigned to this beautiful venue, when I sailed the press sailing of the Eclipse. I know I missed a great experience. Enjoy!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 19th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Admiral

I forgot to add one thing, do not miss Blu for breakfast, it is excellent. Another mistake in Celebritys web site is that they serve a continental breakfast. This is absolutely not true, they have a full breakfast and will make just about anything you want. The only thing you can't get in Blu is the great waffles that they serve in the buffet.

Also, Blu is not open for lunch.
Old September 19th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Admiral

Another fine point dkj, did you try the Blu Muesli, which they make to your desires at the tableside from a variety of fruits, oats, cereals etc, with milk, semi skimmed milk, or yoghurt.
Another must do, if only to watch the artistry of it all.

Alan.

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam, Aza.Journey
Old September 19th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Admiral

What a wonderful cruise line Celebrity are....
Old September 19th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandajones View Post
Another fine point dkj, did you try the Blu Muesli, which they make to your desires at the tableside from a variety of fruits, oats, cereals etc, with milk, semi skimmed milk, or yoghurt.
Another must do, if only to watch the artistry of it all.

Alan.
Yes, I did, had never had it before, it was excellent.
Old September 19th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Admiral

Don,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
The issue of dress has some controversy, on Celebrity's web site they state in a couple of dozen locations that Blu is a Specialty restaurant. Also, on the web site all Specialty restaruants are "smart casual" every night regardless of the formal designation in the MDR. This has caused problems because people are packing and not bringing formal clothes based upon the web site. On both my AQ cruises Blu was "smart casual". With all that being said, many are coming back and saying the dress code is the same as the MDR, formal on formal nights. Just another problem that Celebrity needs to addrss with conflicting statements.
I agree completely that the wording on the web site is poor. The intended meaning apparelntly is that the specialty restaurants are "Smart Casual" whenever the prescribed evening dress is more relaxed than that. It was probably written when the line stated clearlly that the prescribed evening dress applies throughout the ship, except designated "casual" areas, as "throughout the ship" clearly would have included the specialty restaurant.

But the fact remains that the current wording is poor, and needs correction.

Norm.
Old September 19th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17 View Post
Don,

I agree completely that the wording on the web site is poor. The intended meaning apparelntly is that the specialty restaurants are "Smart Casual" whenever the prescribed evening dress is more relaxed than that. It was probably written when the line stated clearlly that the prescribed evening dress applies throughout the ship, except designated "casual" areas, as "throughout the ship" clearly would have included the specialty restaurant.

But the fact remains that the current wording is poor, and needs correction.

Norm.
The wording is poor but I have to differ with you. The lack of any prescribed dress for the rest of the ship predates Aqua Class cabins. They have had that policy for several years now. I think they are just trying to make Blu look "special".

All the specialty restaurants are "smart Casual" every night regardless of the dress code in the MDR. That has been the policy for a couple of years.

"The dress code in Celebrity's specialty dining restaurants is "Smart Casual and Above" for every night of the cruise, regardless of the evening dress code in the main restaurant."

FAQ Answers