CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Celebrity (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/celebrity/)
-   -   Solsticization upgrades (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/celebrity/385222-solsticization-upgrades.html)

Paul Motter September 28th, 2011 01:18 PM

Solsticization upgrades

We now have schedules for the Solsticization upgrades for all four Millennium-class ships; the first upgrade on Celebrity Constellation has already been completed. Celebrity Infinity will begin its Solsticization December 3, 2011, Celebrity Summit will go into dry dock in January 2012, and we have just confirmed that Celebrity Millennium will be upgraded at the Grand Bahamas Shipyard between April 21 and May 12th of 2012.

What do you think of the ideas - will it make a big difference to these older ships?
Are there still fans of the Millennium class out there?

Trip September 28th, 2011 02:06 PM

I never had the pleasure of sailing the Millenium class. I have sailed the Century, Mercury,and the Ecipse.

I was so capitavated by the Solstice class, I can only bet the older ships will get a huge boost by having this makeover. I thought the Eclipse was the prettiest ship I ever sailed on, so, given the older ships being enriched, I would be glad to sail them, if the price and itinerary was good.

momofmeg October 4th, 2011 03:02 PM

Paul what does that mean? Older ships getting upgrades of Solstice class?

big apple October 4th, 2011 03:49 PM

Having sailed on many of the older Celebrity Ships I have fond memories of these ships and you at least see many of the same people during the cruise.As we progressed to the next size we really enjoyed the Millennum and in particular the special dining room called the Olympic which had many special articles from that ship and I believe was the sister ship to the Titanic.Having dined in many different special restaurants on many different lines this is one I will never forget.We were on the Soltice this past Jan. and once again a class act and look forward to our cruise on the Equinox in Dec.

dkjretired October 4th, 2011 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momofmeg (Post 1395448)

Celebrity is spending in excess of a billion dollars to give the four M class ships many of the features of the very popular Solstice Class ships. Constellation has already been done. What may be confusing a bit is the information provided is really old, it is not anything new. Heres a press release which will give you some information.

Press Room Details

john_galt October 4th, 2011 06:40 PM

I am trying to talk my wife into booking the Constellation as a break from Princess. This may make for an easier sell!

dkjretired October 5th, 2011 08:38 AM

It should also be pointed out that in all the press releases on the S class upgrades there has been nothing said about Century. This has led to many rumors that Century will be going the way of Galaxy and Mercury.

Mike M October 5th, 2011 08:44 AM

I loved the Millennium when we sailed her. However, that was 10 years ago. We will sail her in December of 2012 on an Asia cruise. I'm looking forward to see the upgrades and how she has aged in the last eleven years.

I will always remember the dinner we had in the Olympic restaurant. It was one of the best dining experiences I've had either on or off the water and I've had many.

Take care,
Mike

KayAnnie October 5th, 2011 10:30 AM

I've heard good things about the Millennium class, but have never sailed it. I tend to think that any upgrades are a good thing, but when they incur extra costs that didn't previously exist, you get into hairy territory.

momofmeg October 6th, 2011 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkjretired (Post 1395458)
Celebrity is spending in excess of a billion dollars to give the four M class ships many of the features of the very popular Solstice Class ships. Constellation has already been done. What may be confusing a bit is the information provided is really old, it is not anything new. Heres a press release which will give you some information.

Press Room Details

I was disappointed to learn the Equinox has no therapy pool-even at a fee-like the newer HAL and NCL ships have. Did the Connie lose this?

Paul Motter October 6th, 2011 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momofmeg (Post 1395448)

Yes - it is the newest trand in cruising, especially for the Royal Caribbean/Celebrity family.

They find the features from their newest ships that have become most popular and then they "roll them back" to older ships in the fleet - meaning they add them to the older vessels, usually by upgrading an existing facility to a newer one.

A classic case of massive "rollback" upgrades is what Royal Caribbean just did to Radiance of the Seas; giving her many features from the Oasis class as described in this article with pictures:

Sneak Peek: Royal Caribbean's Radiance of the Seas Upgrades in Pictures

dkjretired October 6th, 2011 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momofmeg (Post 1395735)
I was disappointed to learn the Equinox has no therapy pool-even at a fee-like the newer HAL and NCL ships have. Did the Connie lose this?

NO, they did not remove it....

momofmeg October 7th, 2011 08:31 PM

thanks DKJ retired

dkjretired October 14th, 2011 08:30 PM

Disregard....

momofmeg October 19th, 2011 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkjretired (Post 1397004)
Disregard....

You mean therapy pool is gone?

dkjretired October 20th, 2011 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momofmeg (Post 1397614)
You mean therapy pool is gone?

No, I screwed up a post.....had nothing to do with the therapy pool..