Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 27th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjretired View Post
I've done two NCL cruises in the last three years and thought the manner of dressin the MDR was not fitting to such nice rooms. It started with the Tshirts that have the imprint of a tux on front and back, not anything like that which is presented on Celebrity.

One other comment, did Cagneys on NCL and didn't think it was any better than Outback...
I saw no tee shirts with slogans in the dinningroom. I don't eat meat so can't comment about Cagneys and Outback. When I did eat meat-I felt Outback was too pricey for what they had-we always preferred Logans or Longhorn.

Last cruise we did do that Brazilian steak house on NCL. My husband and daughter loved it-but I thought it was way too much meat for anyone at once-they must have been given a week of meals worth of meat. It kind've grossed me out. We did find it nice though that the Matr'd, when he realized I did not eat meat, told our waiter not to charge us for my meal. We did not mind paying as I was going for the comapny of my family.

We also like le Bristro fairly well (their French restaurant) the less expensive Italian and Mexican restaurants are also really very good and the extra price is not much at all for them-their cost would be what we would pay for the tip in a land restaurant.

Perhaps you should stay away from NCL-does not sound like it is your cup of tea. Granted we prefer Celebrity ourselves, but we mainly do cruises as a family and like to cruise with our grown daughter who works as a teacher's assitant in our county school system-when she is off- cruise prices are much higher. So we usually go NCL and eat at the pay extra. Only on NCL can we get a balcony room for less than $900 a person for a 7 day at those busier and more expensive times of the year.

One thing people need to remember,NCL IS a bargain line-in competition with Carnival and not Celebrity-however, their older ships are in better shape than Carnival's older ships. Not so many swinging singles, more of a family line-so we prefer NCL to Carnival.

Our next family cruise is Christmas week on RCI. It just so happened a great sale was run back in July that we caught and we were able to book a 5 day for $600 a person for a balcony room. Three weeks later the balcony rooms were running for $900 a person-so we booked at just the right time.

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
139 days total

Booked: Celebrity Silhouette November 23, 2014
Old October 27th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
I have had a look for the etiquette regarding removal of jackets at the table & from what I see it depends on whether the host removes his thus giving "permission"...bit difficult on a cruise with people you don't really know.
Anyone know better??
I would not worry too much-especially if my neighbor had on jeans and a slogan teeshirt or tropical shirt. Or even if he halfway dressed up with khakis with a dress shirt and tie.

I always take a wrap (I am a woman) and if I need to I remove it. Often though the dinning room is cool-so I am glad I have it.

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old October 27th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Admiral

Not worried just interested, same as should all men stand when a woman (or is it a lady) leaves/joins the table?
Old October 27th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Admiral

Lovely thought! But that seems to be where we are headed.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old October 27th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmeg View Post
I saw no tee shirts with slogans in the dinningroom. I don't eat meat so can't comment about Cagneys and Outback. When I did eat meat-I felt Outback was too pricey for what they had-we always preferred Logans or Longhorn.

Last cruise we did do that Brazilian steak house on NCL. My husband and daughter loved it-but I thought it was way too much meat for anyone at once-they must have been given a week of meals worth of meat. It kind've grossed me out. We did find it nice though that the Matr'd, when he realized I did not eat meat, told our waiter not to charge us for my meal. We did not mind paying as I was going for the comapny of my family.

We also like le Bristro fairly well (their French restaurant) the less expensive Italian and Mexican restaurants are also really very good and the extra price is not much at all for them-their cost would be what we would pay for the tip in a land restaurant.

Perhaps you should stay away from NCL-does not sound like it is your cup of tea. Granted we prefer Celebrity ourselves, but we mainly do cruises as a family and like to cruise with our grown daughter who works as a teacher's assitant in our county school system-when she is off- cruise prices are much higher. So we usually go NCL and eat at the pay extra. Only on NCL can we get a balcony room for less than $900 a person for a 7 day at those busier and more expensive times of the year.

One thing people need to remember,NCL IS a bargain line-in competition with Carnival and not Celebrity-however, their older ships are in better shape than Carnival's older ships. Not so many swinging singles, more of a family line-so we prefer NCL to Carnival.

Our next family cruise is Christmas week on RCI. It just so happened a great sale was run back in July that we caught and we were able to book a 5 day for $600 a person for a balcony room. Three weeks later the balcony rooms were running for $900 a person-so we booked at just the right time.
I would not hesitate to cruise on NCL again as there were things that I found to be superior to Celebrity such as the entertainment. I am very easy to please, my comments about Cagneys were simply that everyone bragged about it and I was disappointed. I love a good steak and enjoy Outback but it was not what I expected...

I did not like all the smoking on my NCL cruises and I am not someone that smoking bothers at all...I am not one of these fanatics...

I commented about the shirts in another post and thought they were funny, would have loved to have bought one for myself.
Old October 28th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjretired View Post
I would not hesitate to cruise on NCL again as there were things that I found to be superior to Celebrity such as the entertainment. I am very easy to please, my comments about Cagneys were simply that everyone bragged about it and I was disappointed. I love a good steak and enjoy Outback but it was not what I expected...

I did not like all the smoking on my NCL cruises and I am not someone that smoking bothers at all...I am not one of these fanatics...

I commented about the shirts in another post and thought they were funny, would have loved to have bought one for myself.
We had no trouble with smoking on NCL for the most part. My daughter is allergic to smoke-so we would have realized quickly if that had been a problem. Only one area that was near the smoking lounge on the Pearl did she have a problem. That was one cruise-the other 2 no problem at all for her. I do not think the Sun and Sky even had smoking lounges.

My last HAL cruise the smoke was horrible, I assumed because of former Celebrity smoking loyalists who had defected to HAL had made the percentage of smokers higher. I have been kind've hesitant to cruise with HAL again. I understand HAL and Princess both have improved their smoking policies. Some say balcony smoking is still allowed and some say not. I wish I knew which, that does make a difference to me, on HAL we had a cigar smoking neighbor who hogged the balcony area by his constant smoking. Our daughter was not with us this cruise-so if it bothered us-you know it was bad!

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old October 28th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Not worried just interested, same as should all men stand when a woman (or is it a lady) leaves/joins the table?
The differences between Brits and Americans I guess. Americans for the most part could care less about proper etiquette. A lot of us are boors for sure!

I have always cared about my appearance as I know it effects others' impression of me. I have never wanted to stand out in the crowd in a negative way. As I said in a previous post, I have never thought wearing shorts to a restaurant for dinner was proper, no matter how casual the restaurant. I have relaxed that in recent years, since many of those old rules people do not apply anymore. I will wear capris before 6 p.m. for dinner, but then I never wear shorts anymore either(except perhaps as a swimsuit coverup on the beach)-too old now! My legs look better covered!

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old October 28th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Admiral

I don't think nationality makes any difference to being interested in something, in fact a lot of the etiquette sites are American.
Old October 28th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I don't think nationality makes any difference to being interested in something, in fact a lot of the etiquette sites are American.
I do not agree. I am sure you see a difference of dress on an European cruise as opposed to a Caribbean cruise. Caribbean cruises have a higher percentage of Americans if you go on the mainstream lines Americans frequent such as Celebrity, NCL, HAL, Carnival, RCI.

I have done mostly Caribbean cruises- however I noticed a big difference of dress on my southern Caribbean, Alaskan, Bermuda, and my transatlantic cruises. All 4 of these cruises had a higher percentage of other nationalities besides American than my Caribbean cruises. I could see a big difference in how much more casually dressed passengers were on my Bahamas, Eastern and western Caribbean cruises where my fellow Passengers were 85% or more American or Canadian.
Now of course, being I am American, if you had said this about Americans instead of me, I would take offense. !

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old October 28th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Admiral

Quote:
We had no trouble with smoking on NCL for the most part. My daughter is allergic to smoke-so we would have realized quickly if that had been a problem. Only one area that was near the smoking lounge on the Pearl did she have a problem. That was one cruise-the other 2 no problem at all for her. I do not think the Sun and Sky even had smoking lounges.

My last HAL cruise the smoke was horrible, I assumed because of former Celebrity smoking loyalists who had defected to HAL had made the percentage of smokers higher. I have been kind've hesitant to cruise with HAL again. I understand HAL and Princess both have improved their smoking policies. Some say balcony smoking is still allowed and some say not. I wish I knew which, that does make a difference to me, on HAL we had a cigar smoking neighbor who hogged the balcony area by his constant smoking. Our daughter was not with us this cruise-so if it bothered us-you know it was bad!
Actually I think the Pearl called this a cigar lounge-not smoking lounge. The NCL ships do have more than one lounge where smoking is allowed. although most of their lounges are nonsmoking

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old October 28th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Admiral

Quote:

My experience on HAL re smoking mirrored yours - living in a 100% smoke free home you forget very quickly how much cigarette smoke stinks.

Annie

BTW although HAL has amended their policy, smoking will still be permitted on balcony.
Old October 28th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I do not agree. I am sure you see a difference of dress on an European cruise as opposed to a Caribbean cruise. Caribbean cruises have a higher percentage of Americans if you go on the mainstream lines Americans frequent such as Celebrity, NCL, HAL, Carnival, RCI.

I have done mostly Caribbean cruises- however I noticed a big difference of dress on my southern Caribbean, Alaskan, Bermuda, and my transatlantic cruises. All 4 of these cruises had a higher percentage of other nationalities besides American than my Caribbean cruises. I could see a big difference in how much more casually dressed passengers were on my Bahamas, Eastern and western Caribbean cruises where my fellow Passengers were 85% or more American or Canadian.
Now of course, being I am American, if you had said this about Americans instead of me, I would take offense. !
What don't you agree with ...that it doesn't matter what nationality you are to be interested in something or that the etiquette sites I found are mostly American??
Old October 28th, 2011, 11:39 PM
First Mate

We call these people rednecks in the south.
Old October 29th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Admiral

Quote:
What don't you agree with ...that it doesn't matter what nationality you are to be interested in something or that the etiquette sites I found are mostly American??
I realize there are Americans that care about etiquette. As a nationality though, this is not as important. The fact that you see more sites that are American simply shows many of us WISH Americans did care about how they dress.

There is a popular reality show here called "What Not To Wear." Friends nominate a friend for a makeover. The show is very entertaining. The main reason I enjoy this show is not that I am shocked by how these people dress, as I see similar whenever I am out in puplic. I like seeing how much better these people look after they are tutored in what they should be wearing.

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old October 29th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by big apple View Post
We call these people rednecks in the south.
Yes, and there are plenty of red necks around for sure! Being a southerner I was brought up on what was "proper," our term for etiquette. However, the category of redneck can apply to many now, not just southerners who were not taught (or choose to ignore) what was "proper."

The Atlanta area is a multicultural area, the percentage of born and bred southerners in this area is much lower than other parts of the south, and the few true southerners here, have for the most part, dropped what they consider "Grandma rules"-the few holdouts on what is "proper" is those of us over 50-the "baby boomers" (post world war II to early 60's in birth) and the few of our parents that are still around.

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old October 29th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Admiral

Taste & dressing to "proper" standards are different.
In my weekly visit to Southampton(UK) I have a "tea break" during my duties, well venti capupucino 4shots actually, in Starbucks...& I observe people walking past & while I am not sartorially elegant myself I do wonder at what people wear, the worst being "ladies" who seem to think they look good in these leggings, even those who actually suit these garments are continually pulling down their top to cover their bottom. One of the worst was a "mature lady" who was wearing a sort of crop top .....unfortunately if she had measured the length of her breasts against the length of her top it would have prevented the discrepancy that occurred...
Old October 30th, 2011, 12:58 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default How to fight dress downgrades

Next time on Celebrity: We shall dress every night in dinner jacket, tux, or white linen suits.
The best revenge is dressing well amongst the slobs.
We don't care if there's a dress code or not: we do our own thing!
Dressing for dinner is a privilege and an honor that we shall continue to respect, regardless of dining venue.
Old October 30th, 2011, 04:52 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by parisyes1 View Post
Next time on Celebrity: We shall dress every night in dinner jacket, tux, or white linen suits.
Dressing for dinner is a privilege and an honor that we shall continue to respect, regardless of dining venue.
Good for you if you enjoy it. That is exactly the reasoning the 'slobs' use.

Dressing for dinner is a privilege and an honour - don't quite get that but each to their own.

Annie
Old October 30th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegb View Post
Good for you if you enjoy it. That is exactly the reasoning the 'slobs' use.

Dressing for dinner is a privilege and an honour - don't quite get that but each to their own.

Annie
Agree with you Annie, the manner in which you dress has nothing to do with class as the post you quoted proves. Perhaps the word slobs should have the letter l substituted with the letter n....
Old October 30th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Admiral

People often come up with the reasoning that you should not judge by appearances, I think how someone chooses to dress says a lot about them & if there is a dress code that people choose to ignore that says a bit more.
Old October 30th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Taste & dressing to "proper" standards are different.
In my weekly visit to Southampton(UK) I have a "tea break" during my duties, well venti capupucino 4shots actually, in Starbucks...& I observe people walking past & while I am not sartorially elegant myself I do wonder at what people wear, the worst being "ladies" who seem to think they look good in these leggings, even those who actually suit these garments are continually pulling down their top to cover their bottom. One of the worst was a "mature lady" who was wearing a sort of crop top .....unfortunately if she had measured the length of her breasts against the length of her top it would have prevented the discrepancy that occurred...
Yes John, proper can also mean that here also.

Still, "Proper" and "etiquette" were interchangeable words in the southern United States region. This was not so true of other parts of the United States.

Perhaps it is similar to you saying "boot" of the automobile -whereas we say "trunk" of the car. It is a term that means different things in different cultures. We think of boots as shoes that come up on your ankles. You probably think of trunk meaning a piece of furnture used for storage. It also means that for us, but we also call the storage area of the back of a car or automobile a trunk.

Of course "proper" is broader in meaning as you say even here in the southern US. For example, teachers always told us it was not proper to say "ain't" that we should say "am not." Also it was not proper to say "ya'll, (southern term for you plural) "that the word "you" could be singular or plural. Other areas of the US will say "you'se guys" for you plural-so it is not just southern culture in the US that has problems with making "you" a plural term. !

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old October 30th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Admiral

I used the term "proper" because you did. Here we would say "properly dressed" or dressed in a ''proper manner". I would define "etiquette" as the term for behaving "properly".
Old October 30th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by parisyes1 View Post
I like casual appropriate dress. I do not mean cuttoffs and midriiffs at dinner, I mean my hubby in khakis and collared shirt and me in a pantsuit or casual skirt and blouse. (not that an old gal like me would look "proper" in cutoffs and midriffs even on the beach! ! Johnthedog!)

Dressing up a night or two during the cruises makes dressing up more "special." We also dress up when eating in the pay extra resturant. It just seems to us the surrounding, candle light dinner, harpist, and all the elegance, etc. that we should. Yes, others don't, but we still enjoy doing this.

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old October 30th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Admiral

I just wish they would abolish dress codes(up to a point) or stick to them.
Old October 30th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I used the term "proper" because you did. Here we would say "properly dressed" or dressed in a ''proper manner". I would define "etiquette" as the term for behaving "properly".
I would refer to what you were posting as "not appropriately dressed." Wearing something that does not fit you correctly does not really have anything to do with proper or even not proper. At least not the way southern Americans of my parent's generation used it. It had more to do with etiquette or using in appropriate language.

I cannot understand how you can say not dressing appropriately for an occasion is not etiquette. It is more than using the wrong fork at dinner. Or whether it is "proper" or etiquette to take your jacket off at dinner.

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old October 30th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I would refer to what you were posting as "not appropriately dressed." Wearing something that does not fit you correctly does not really have anything to do with proper or even not proper. At least not the way southern Americans of my parent's generation used it. It had more to do with etiquette or using in appropriate language.

I cannot understand how you can say not dressing appropriately for an occasion is not etiquette. It is more than using the wrong fork at dinner. Or whether it is "proper" or etiquette to take your jacket off at dinner.

Okay, I contradicted myself a bit -in inappropriate dress can mean ill fitting, which MAY have nothing to do with etiquette. That is what I meant.

For example: I think we have all seen people dressed in clothing that was ill fitting on formal night. Maybe it was that guy in a tux at formal night whose jacket bunched because he had gained weight or had borrowed his tux from a friend who was smaller than him. He would have been dressed to etiquette-but certainly not appropriately.

That is what I meant that not properly dressed may not mean the same thing as inappropriately dressed because clothing is ill fitting. Not by my southern American grandmother's terms anyway.

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old October 30th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Admiral

Confusing..
I would say it is the "rules" of etiquette that denote what we wear & how we behave in company, the degree is varied by the formality of the occasion. Someone wearing badly fitting clothes that basically were in line with code would be obeying the rules of etiquette but failing miserably on the taste front! So dressing properly but not well. This is one of the things people can't grasp when they say (as we all did back then) ''my jeans are smarter & more expensive than your cheap suit'' dress code is not all about looking smart but dressing to the code..hopefully both as most men look decent in a DJ/Tux.
Old October 30th, 2011, 09:21 PM
First Mate

Your jeans may be expensive and i could care less and the right dress code is much more appropriate than your wonderful priced jeans.
Old October 30th, 2011, 11:49 PM
Admiral

Christ almighty, it's no wonder we're starting to prefer land trips. Enough already!

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old October 31st, 2011, 01:37 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Confusing..
I would say it is the "rules" of etiquette that denote what we wear & how we behave in company, the degree is varied by the formality of the occasion. Someone wearing badly fitting clothes that basically were in line with code would be obeying the rules of etiquette but failing miserably on the taste front! So dressing properly but not well. This is one of the things people can't grasp when they say (as we all did back then) ''my jeans are smarter & more expensive than your cheap suit'' dress code is not all about looking smart but dressing to the code..hopefully both as most men look decent in a DJ/Tux.
John we really agree not disagree- (except in your mind) I have been trying to explain to you "proper" is a term southern Americans use interchangeable with "etiquette"-I do know correct English. I also realize we should not say John Doe is not dressed proper; but instead John Doe is not dressed properly.

I know very well there are things your culture (or region) that you may say that I may not understand also- I am also sure you are not really that "thick" (hopefully I do not need to explain what that means) PLEASE truce? If not you can argue on your own-because I refuse to reply to you again on this subject.

I have now achieved-
139 days total