Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 16th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Admiral

Default 1 Dead, 1 Injured in Parasail accident off Eclipse

One person has been killed and one injured in a parasailing accident off Eclipse in St. Thomas. Do not know if this was a ship sponsored shore excursion.

USVI NEWS UPDATE
Sponsored Links
Old November 16th, 2011, 10:42 PM
First Mate

You know, those guys driving those parasailing boats aren't always sober..The guys driving one of the boats I parasailed (Mexico) on was three sheets to the wind and was purposely dunking us in the ocean - which was NOT good for my back. Hurt like a *&*&^%. He seemed to be enjoying it though..I sure hope this was not the case in this incident.
Old November 16th, 2011, 10:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Hearing about Ken, on the Magic,and now reading this..a sad week

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 18th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Admiral

Below is a link to much more detailed information. Apparently it was a Celebrity Shore Excursion. Very sad, the woman killed was doing this for her 60th. Birthday.

Woman killed in parasail fall - News - Virgin Islands Daily News
Old November 18th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default accident

@ snorklr45 That's a very awful thing to say in this situation. The men driving this boat were very sober. And did everything in their power to save this woman and her daughter. There is an inherent risk with this activity and it is so very unfortunate.
Old November 19th, 2011, 03:37 PM
First Mate

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kricole View Post
@ snorklr45 That's a very awful thing to say in this situation. The men driving this boat were very sober. And did everything in their power to save this woman and her daughter. There is an inherent risk with this activity and it is so very unfortunate.

I think you should read the news article. Here's a quote:

"FBI agents responded when it was not clear whether the accident involved a crime, according FBI spokesman Harry Rodriguez.

The Coast Guard investigation could change the agency's involvement with parasailing safety, according to Castrodad.

"This is a safety investigation," to identify what went wrong and to prevent future events," he said.

The investigation also will consider whether negligence was a factor.

"If that comes out, appropriate actions would be taken," Castrodad said. "We're definitely not there yet."

I guess we won't know what really happened until the investigation is complete. MY post was about what happened to me and in my case..They were not sober. I went on a 2nd parasail (in 2005)..and the drivers again..were not sober. Just my experience so far - not every driver is drunk. But obviously, some of them are!!
Old November 27th, 2011, 12:20 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorklr45 View Post
I guess we won't know what really happened until the investigation is complete. MY post was about what happened to me and in my case..They were not sober. I went on a 2nd parasail (in 2005)..and the drivers again..were not sober. Just my experience so far - not every driver is drunk. But obviously, some of them are!!
[/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
Why if after the first time you parasailed and didn't enjoy it/found it painful b/c the drunk driver enjoyed dunking you would you go a second time with yet another set of drunk drivers??
Old November 27th, 2011, 04:08 PM
First Mate

The second time was actually fun. The drunk drivers were not sadistic like the first guys were..I figured they all were drinkers and if I wanted to parasail, would have to put up with the drinking drivers..
Old December 10th, 2011, 11:15 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Some people are only happy when they complain.
Old December 13th, 2011, 11:27 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Local law enforcement is investigating a parasailing accident this week that left one tourist dead and another seriously injured and hospitalized.

Thanks,
Old December 26th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorklr45 View Post
I think you should read the news article. Here's a quote:

"FBI agents responded when it was not clear whether the accident involved a crime, according FBI spokesman Harry Rodriguez.

The Coast Guard investigation could change the agency's involvement with parasailing safety, according to Castrodad.

"This is a safety investigation," to identify what went wrong and to prevent future events," he said.

The investigation also will consider whether negligence was a factor.

"If that comes out, appropriate actions would be taken," Castrodad said. "We're definitely not there yet."

for all of you that may come across this, these are actual people, people that were loved and are loved and are now greiving over the loss of a mother, a wife a grandma and a stepmom, who parished after a suprise trip from her daughter who was badly hurt, she is a daughter, a girlfriend a sister, and a aunt, who is now in a rehab facility, with a major brain injury, had to have brain surgery, and was in a coma, they were not sure she would make it, but she did, now she has a long road to recovery with no family now bt her sister and her boyfriend who have been by her bedside..... I cant believe all this rubbish im seeing online about this incident, this is a tragic freak accident that happend to 2 beautiful people! the daughter in this story, my best friend of 18 years is now trying to remember while trying to get back on her feet, months, and years worth of getting back to normalcy while dealing with the loss of her mother, who was her best friend and the only family she had besides her sister! so u all should be ashamed of yourself for being so insensitive... put your prayers out there for her and her recovery, and the loss of her mother, dont ASSUME anything abt anything, because that makes an ASS out of u and me!! these people's lives will never be the same, so while u all read these posts and think about life, remember you get to switch off your device, computer whatever, and kiss your kids, your mother, your wife, husband whomever you love dearly, and rest your head and start your NEW day walking and talking and doing whatever it is u did prior while this young woman is and will be struggiling to get her life back on track, and starting over to make her life some what normal even though her life will never be the same being she lost the only woman she had or known, YES PEOPLE HER MOTHER! everything is still very unsure, no one knows what happend, the company that they used closed down, what does that say??? as parasailing is so everyday for people out on cruises more people need to be proactive, and more aware of your enviroments, and if things dont feel right then dont do it, because will it really be worth it in the end!!! I pray to g-d that this tragic horrific accident, will not go down in vein or have to be a cause for safty regualtions to change or stipualtions for certin saftey standard operating procedures to become better and more strict because of two innocent lives that were taken, yes one was lost bt the other was almost there and now she is lost in a sense because she is starting life over!!!